|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 14-18 & Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The American man whom Arn at first calls Jesus Monk, later finding out his name is Mr. Pond, takes pity on Arn and gives him medicine to cure what ailment?
(b) Yellow Fever.
2. Where do Arn and Munny hide when they hear the sounds of a nearby battle during their make-believe game of war?
(a) In a pond near their house.
(b) In the branches of a nearby Banyan tree.
(c) In their rich next-door-neighbor's Mercedes.
(d) In the theater where they had seen the movie earlier that night.
3. When the Khmer Rouge evacuate all of the cities in order to force everyone into agricultural work, how many days do they tell the villagers they will be gone?
(a) 14 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 10 days.
4. How do the Khmer Rouge soldiers react when Arn asks them if they want to play soccer with him?
(a) They yell at Arn to go away and threaten to hurt his family.
(b) They put their guns down and engage in a real enjoyment of the game.
(c) They kick the ball with little skill and frown the whole time.
(d) They mercilessly beat one of Arn's friends when Arn's team wins.
5. When the radio makes clear that the Vietnamese soldiers really are coming, chaos erupts and many children run away in the melee. Sombo asks Arn why he doesn't run away to find his family. Why does Arn not run away?
(a) He realizes that he has no idea why he does not run away; the thought has just never occurred to him.
(b) He is afraid that the Khmer Rouge will recognize him due to his fame and shoot him for the traitor they will consider him to be.
(c) He now feels so far removed from his biological family that his friends seem much more important to stay close to in this world.
(d) He is afraid the soldiers in the next camp will kill his little sister Sophea if he runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the three boys, which ones give their new American clothing to the children they're leaving behind at the Children's Center?
2. Mek and Arn differ in their assessment of what their parting means. What are their two separate feelings about their separation?
3. What creatures does the author depict fleeing from the sounds of war in order to underscore the theme of the unnatural?
4. Though at first Arn is furious with Mr. Pond for taking chances that lead to him being shot by a Thai guard, Mr. Pond then reveals news that makes Arn ecstatic. What is that news?
5. When the trucks of Khmer Rouge soldiers first arrive, what does the radio tell the Cambodian people to do?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)