|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 14-18 & Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When his sister kisses Arn's ear, what is NOT something he says the sensation feels like?
(a) Rustling leaves.
(b) Butterfly wings.
2. What happens to cause Arn to say that now "even the earth is our enemy" (126)?
(a) Their rice girl steps on a land mine and loses her leg.
(b) Vietnamese soldiers leap out of a ditch to attack their group.
(c) The vegetables they plant won't grow.
(d) When they bury their dead, the earth expels their bloated bodies.
3. Who tells Arn's aunt about Arn and Munny seeing the American movie?
4. The author uses the occasion of Arn's transition into the role of soldier to refer back to events at the start of the novel. What are those events and what triggers them in Arn's thoughts?
(a) He straps a gun and ammunition to his chest and it reminds him of playing soldiers with his little brother Munny, just as they did after the movie so long ago.
(b) He looks up into the sky and hears the rat-a-tat-tat of artillery, which makes him think of the sound his cheap vendor bell used to make as he sold from his cart.
(c) He feels a sense of power from being armed and likens it to the feeling he used to get from earning his own money and having the power to buy things other kids couldn't.
(d) He remembers a prayer and recites it out loud, causing him to think about the monk teacher whom he used to bribe so he could skip school to sell his wares.
5. What dance do Arn and Munny perform for the crowd outside the theater?
(a) The Swim.
(b) The Watusi.
(c) The Pony.
(d) The Twist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Pond end up taking Sojeat, Ravi, and Arn when he asks them to climb in the trunk of his car?
2. When Arn asks a nurse what month and year it is, she replies that it's March 1979. He then figures out he has been away from home for how long in total?
3. After the children in the band have had no rice for many days, the Khmer Rouge tell them they are getting a special dinner of banana peels, rice husks, and rotten pieces of food. Arn knows that this is usually the food given to which kind of farm animal?
4. The group of child soldiers led by Sombo and referred to as Little Fish with the Big Sting is comprised of how many children?
5. Sombo brings his new group to join with another camp composed mainly of true Khmer Rouge kids, not soldiers like Arn who have been held captive and then forced into battle by the Khmer Rouge. What is the main child leader's name within this other group?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)