|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the first guard to make Sombo come to replace him?
(a) He eats too much rotten food and contracts a blood disease.
(b) He runs away into the jungle.
(c) He goes on leave to get married.
(d) He falls asleep at his post one time and is never seen again.
2. What creatures does the author depict fleeing from the sounds of war in order to underscore the theme of the unnatural?
3. When Arn asks a nurse what month and year it is, she replies that it's March 1979. He then figures out he has been away from home for how long in total?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Three years.
4. What is Arn's reaction to seeing his sister again?
(a) It creates in him an inability to kill.
(b) It makes him hate Sombo.
(c) It causes him to want to run away.
(d) It restores in him the will to live.
5. What is the event that first causes Arn to think maybe the Khmer Rouge have evil intentions?
(a) A soldier sees Arn selling his wares on the street and tips over his cart for no apparent reason.
(b) Hi sister tells him that all of the girls in the village are being rounded up by the soldiers in order to force the girls to cut their hair short.
(c) He sees a soldier speaking roughly to a monk at his temple school.
(d) He sees a soldier kill a boy when the boy refuses his request for a motorcycle ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he is mistaken for a member of the Khmer Rouge by one of their leaders, what is Arn's reaction?
2. One time when Sombo's group passes another platoon in the woods, he recognizes that platoon's rice girl. Who is it?
3. What does the hospital look like where Arn arrives when he gets off the bus?
4. Sombo brings his new group to join with another camp composed mainly of true Khmer Rouge kids, not soldiers like Arn who have been held captive and then forced into battle by the Khmer Rouge. What is the main child leader's name within this other group?
5. What event causes Arn to sneak out and plead with the new music teacher to start exerting effort in his teaching?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)