|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country is Arn's hometown?
2. What simile does Arn use to describe his sister's appearance when he sees her?
(a) Like a tired mother.
(b) Like a whisper of air.
(c) Like an overworked horse.
(d) Like a tiny old woman.
3. The morning just before the Khmer Rouge drive through the village making announcements on their bullhorns, what sounds are noticeably absent?
(a) The sound of birds chirping and the sound of the wind in the trees.
(b) The sound of gunfire and the sound of explosions.
(c) The sound of children laughing and the sound of vendors selling their wares.
(d) The sound of monks chanting and the sound of the temple gong.
4. When the Khmer Rouge soldiers take all of the captives' clothes and burn them, what clothing do they provide instead?
(a) Green uniforms.
(b) Red uniforms.
(c) Yellow uniforms.
(d) Black uniforms.
5. What does Arn do with the food the kitchen girl gives him after she is done using him for her pleasure?
(a) He gives it to Siv or Kha or Mek.
(b) He gives it to the Khmer Rouge leader with the white shorts.
(c) He puts it aside in case he sees his family again.
(d) He throws it on the ground and stomps on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Arn give for it being a dangerous act for him to think about his sister or any of his other family members?
2. When the five-year-old boy that reminds Arn of his little brother sneaks out night after night, returning only in the morning, what does Arn eventually find out he is doing?
3. Arn eventually discovers the real reason that the band is asked to play at several specific times each day. What is the reason?
4. What happens to the first guard to make Sombo come to replace him?
5. What are the two forms of compensation that the news bearer accepts in return for news about the captives' families?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)