|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Arn and Munny hide when they hear the sounds of a nearby battle during their make-believe game of war?
(a) In the theater where they had seen the movie earlier that night.
(b) In their rich next-door-neighbor's Mercedes.
(c) In the branches of a nearby Banyan tree.
(d) In a pond near their house.
2. The morning just before the Khmer Rouge drive through the village making announcements on their bullhorns, what sounds are noticeably absent?
(a) The sound of children laughing and the sound of vendors selling their wares.
(b) The sound of gunfire and the sound of explosions.
(c) The sound of birds chirping and the sound of the wind in the trees.
(d) The sound of monks chanting and the sound of the temple gong.
3. When the trucks of Khmer Rouge soldiers first arrive, what does the radio tell the Cambodian people to do?
(a) To learn how to use guns so that they may join the throng of soldiers.
(b) To do nothing and say nothing when the soldiers speak to them.
(c) To give the soldiers whatever they can and show that they support them.
(d) To run away as fast as they can and take nothing with them.
4. What lesson does Arn learn from his experience getting told on by another boy in the camp?
(a) He learns that the soldiers are more merciful than he had previously thought, since they do not physically beat him for his transgression.
(b) He learns to never take breaks during his work day, no matter what happens.
(c) He learns that sleeping in the manure pile is actually warmer and more comfortable than sleeping on the ground in his tent.
(d) He learns to observe others and gather information about their behavior so he can use it against them later if necessary.
5. When another child captive tells on Arn for lying to increase his number of work breaks, what do the Khmer Rouge soldiers impose as Arn's punishment?
(a) He is tied to a tree and chastised by the other child captives.
(b) He is forced to burn his uniform.
(c) He is refused food for three days.
(d) He is forced to sleep in a pile of manure for three nights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arn's solution for helping Siv remember not to hold the flag in front of Arn's face at the end of the dance?
2. Once Arn and his group is allowed to stop walking and they form a camp, what two groups do the Khmer Rouge soldiers separate the captives into?
3. What happens to the old man who is Arn's first music teacher?
4. The Khmer Rouge tell the band that they are going on a trip and everyone is expecting to be killed. Instead, what happens?
5. Which of the following is NOT a topic of the Khmer Rouge songs the children are taught to play with their musical instruments?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)