|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Arn give for it being a dangerous act for him to think about his sister or any of his other family members?
(a) Because the Khmer Rouge can see inside his head.
(b) Because it makes him angry at them for letting this happen.
(c) Because getting his hopes up for a reunion with his family is a waste of time.
(d) Because Mek is jealous of Arn's feelings about his family.
2. When the trucks of Khmer Rouge soldiers first arrive, what does the radio tell the Cambodian people to do?
(a) To run away as fast as they can and take nothing with them.
(b) To give the soldiers whatever they can and show that they support them.
(c) To learn how to use guns so that they may join the throng of soldiers.
(d) To do nothing and say nothing when the soldiers speak to them.
3. What details does the author include to let the reader know that the kitchen girl's sexual molestation of Arn happens without his consent?
(a) The kitchen girl's threats to kill his family if he tells anyone and Arn's decision to turn the kitchen girl in for a transgression she didn't commit.
(b) Arn's secret plot to kill the kitchen girl before he escapes and the way in which he pretends to stab her when she turns her back.
(c) The kitchen girl's announcement that she can kill Arn anytime she wants to and Arn's comment that the food she gives him afterward tastes like dust.
(d) Arn's tears of frustration after each session and his anger when he is telling Mek about her actions.
4. The boy who runs away from camp and escapes amidst a flurry of gunfire by the Khmer Rouge is a former boyfriend of which of Arn's siblings?
5. From where does Chantou send Arn a letter?
(a) From her adoptive parents' home in America.
(b) From a mountain camp.
(c) From an opera house in Thailand.
(d) From their home village.
Short Answer Questions
1. When some new children arrive at the camp and one of them refuses to cut her hair, how is she punished?
2. How does Arn find out unequivocally that the government soldiers who answered the Khmer Rouge's call to go to the airport were subsequently murdered?
3. When a new letter carrier arrives to bring news to the camp, what news does he bring to Arn?
4. What causes Arn to think that finally the Khmer Rouge may have won the metaphorical battle between himself and the soldiers?
5. What occurs in the American movie that causes Arn and Munny to hide their faces in their shirts?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)