|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the kitchen girl give Arn extra food?
(a) Because she is a member of the Khmer Rouge and realizes that he needs strength in order to do his job and play music well.
(b) Because he has become famous from playing his kihm and she admires him.
(c) Because he threatens to hurt her if she does not.
(d) Because she says he looks too skinny.
2. Why do Arn's sister and aunt break down crying when Arn gives them a treat?
(a) They are worried that he steals to get money.
(b) They feel sorry for him that he has to use his earnings to provide for his family.
(c) They don't like the treat he gives them.
(d) They wish he had gotten enough to give every member of the family a treat.
3. What event causes Arn to wonder if he has become a monster just like the Khmer Rouge soldiers?
(a) He feels happiness at hearing that his rich neighbors have all been killed for their elitist ways.
(b) He feels happiness at the sight of the boy who previously got him into trouble being beaten by a soldier for being lazy.
(c) He feels happiness at seeing Kha die, since now he is at least out of his misery.
(d) He feels happiness at hearing that one soldier has been murdered for speaking roughly to another soldier.
4. How does Arn cope with his feelings when the Khmer Rouge kitchen girl sexually molests him?
(a) He vows never to enter the kitchen again.
(b) He cries.
(c) He lashes out and hits the kitchen girl.
(d) He disassociates by going somewhere else in his mind.
5. When the word "sleep" is banned by the Khmer Rouge, what word is allowed in its place?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Khmer Rouge tell the band that they are going on a trip and everyone is expecting to be killed. Instead, what happens?
2. How did Arn's father die?
3. When the new music teacher is too overcome by his own sadness to teach the children, Arn teaches them himself, instructing them to hit the strings lightly, like the wings of what bird?
4. What do the rich kids do to Arn when he is selling his wares near the school?
5. Once Arn and his group is allowed to stop walking and they form a camp, what two groups do the Khmer Rouge soldiers separate the captives into?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)