|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the high-ranking soldiers for whom the band played has taken their leave, what is NOT a rule put in place by the remaining Khmer Rouge soldiers?
(a) Now no one is allowed to speak to the soldiers for any reason.
(b) Now the band has to play at nighttime meetings so that all of the kids can learn the words to the songs.
(c) Now no one can hunt for their own food.
(d) Now no one is allowed to fall in love.
2. What method does Mek, the new music teacher, tell Arn that he uses to survive?
(a) He dreams.
(b) He thinks about one hour at a time.
(c) He composes music.
(d) He watches the birds fly.
3. What is Arn's first reaction when a girl sitting next to him at dinner suddenly dies?
(a) He pushes her to floor to save the other children from having to look at her.
(b) He screams for help and is punished for his cries.
(c) He takes her bowl of rice and keeps on eating.
(d) He runs away into the jungle to be by himself for a while.
4. The boy who runs away from camp and escapes amidst a flurry of gunfire by the Khmer Rouge is a former boyfriend of which of Arn's siblings?
5. What details does the author include to let the reader know that the kitchen girl's sexual molestation of Arn happens without his consent?
(a) Arn's tears of frustration after each session and his anger when he is telling Mek about her actions.
(b) The kitchen girl's announcement that she can kill Arn anytime she wants to and Arn's comment that the food she gives him afterward tastes like dust.
(c) The kitchen girl's threats to kill his family if he tells anyone and Arn's decision to turn the kitchen girl in for a transgression she didn't commit.
(d) Arn's secret plot to kill the kitchen girl before he escapes and the way in which he pretends to stab her when she turns her back.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Chantou send Arn a letter?
2. When Sophea shows up at the camp, what reason does she give for their aunt sending her to look for Arn?
3. What product does Arn skip school to sell, much to the chagrin of his older sister?
4. What dance do Arn and Munny perform for the crowd outside the theater?
5. What is the event that first causes Arn to think maybe the Khmer Rouge have evil intentions?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)