|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 14-18 & Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the new music teacher is too overcome by his own sadness to teach the children, Arn teaches them himself, instructing them to hit the strings lightly, like the wings of what bird?
(a) A starling.
(b) A robin.
(c) A swallow.
(d) A hummingbird.
2. In order to add to his fame even more and thus add to his probability of survival, Arn adds what talent to his repertoire in addition to his playing of the khim?
(a) Playing the fiddle.
(d) Acting out theater scenes.
3. The reader learns from the epilogue the fate of the real Sombo. What is this fate?
(a) He moved to Canada and adopted many Cambodian children.
(b) He adopted Koong and lives in a peaceful village near Arn's home village.
(c) He lives in a Khmer Rouge enclave in Cambodia.
(d) He died in a battle with the Vietnamese soon after separating from Arn.
4. What simile does Arn use to describe his sister's appearance when he sees her?
(a) Like an overworked horse.
(b) Like a tired mother.
(c) Like a whisper of air.
(d) Like a tiny old woman.
5. What is it about Arn that makes the soldier let him go without even a warning when he is caught sneaking to Mek's tent in the night?
(a) His fame as a khim player.
(b) His decision to stand up to the soldier and not allow himself to be controlled.
(c) His smile.
(d) His kind words about the soldier's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point, Arn becomes so hungry and thirsty and eats fruit off the ground even though there is something wrong with it. What's wrong with it?
2. The Khmer Rouge tell the band that they are going on a trip and everyone is expecting to be killed. Instead, what happens?
3. What is the event that first causes Arn to think maybe the Khmer Rouge have evil intentions?
4. What simile does the author use to get across how Arn feels when Peter tells him that speaking out about his story will save people in Cambodia and will also give him something to live for?
5. When a new letter carrier arrives to bring news to the camp, what news does he bring to Arn?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)