|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event causes Arn to wonder if he has become a monster just like the Khmer Rouge soldiers?
(a) He feels happiness at the sight of the boy who previously got him into trouble being beaten by a soldier for being lazy.
(b) He feels happiness at hearing that one soldier has been murdered for speaking roughly to another soldier.
(c) He feels happiness at hearing that his rich neighbors have all been killed for their elitist ways.
(d) He feels happiness at seeing Kha die, since now he is at least out of his misery.
2. When the five-year-old boy that reminds Arn of his little brother sneaks out night after night, returning only in the morning, what does Arn eventually find out he is doing?
(a) He is eating dead people's flesh in the mango grove.
(b) He is stealing rice from the kitchen.
(c) He is climbing trees to eat the fruit.
(d) He is attacking the Khmer Rouge soldiers from the jungle.
3. What is Arn's solution for helping Siv remember not to hold the flag in front of Arn's face at the end of the dance?
(a) He threatens to break his flag.
(b) He explains to Siv that he's ruining the dance and reducing Arn's chances at fame.
(c) He offers to switch dancing roles with him.
(d) He steals some rice for him.
4. While the captives subsist on tiny amounts of rice and garbage, what do the Khmer Rouge eat?
(a) Caviar, foie gras, and steak.
(b) Grass, leaves, and clay.
(c) Chicken, fish, and lemongrass.
(d) Sardines, mussels, and clams.
5. What event precipitates the band members being fed real rice and being forced to practice their music all night long?
(a) A performance for the American soldiers.
(b) A performance at a large meeting for all of the highest-ranking Khmer Rouge leaders.
(c) A performance for the Vietnamese soldiers.
(d) A traveling performance for all the people who have resettled in their home villages since the evacuation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arn describe the monks at the temple school?
2. The first person Arn sees in over a year who is not wearing a black uniform is the new leader who arrives at the camp. How does Arn describe his appearance?
3. Though the Khmer Rouge blame the bad rice harvest on the laziness of the workers, Arn knows it is actually due to what reason?
4. What dance do Arn and Munny perform for the crowd outside the theater?
5. What event causes Arn to sneak out and plead with the new music teacher to start exerting effort in his teaching?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)