|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the radio makes clear that the Vietnamese soldiers really are coming, chaos erupts and many children run away in the melee. Sombo asks Arn why he doesn't run away to find his family. Why does Arn not run away?
(a) He realizes that he has no idea why he does not run away; the thought has just never occurred to him.
(b) He is afraid that the Khmer Rouge will recognize him due to his fame and shoot him for the traitor they will consider him to be.
(c) He is afraid the soldiers in the next camp will kill his little sister Sophea if he runs away.
(d) He now feels so far removed from his biological family that his friends seem much more important to stay close to in this world.
2. Sophea brings news that someone in Arn's family has died while calling out for him. Who is it?
(a) Their sister Mali.
(b) Their sister Jorami.
(c) Their mother.
(d) Their brother Munny.
3. What kind of platoon is Arn's sister traveling with?
(a) A group of high-ranking Khmer Rouge leaders.
(b) A group of ragtag escapees from other platoons.
(c) A group of all female soldiers.
(d) A group of children soldiers.
4. When some new children arrive at the camp and one of them refuses to cut her hair, how is she punished?
(a) She is wrapped in canvas and tossed high into the air for hours.
(b) She is put inside a drum on the temple steps as they beat it and light a fire under it.
(c) She is denied any food besides grass for weeks.
(d) She is required to sleep in the manure pile for three nights.
5. When the Khmer Rouge evacuate all of the cities in order to force everyone into agricultural work, how many days do they tell the villagers they will be gone?
(a) 14 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 5 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sombo takes Arn away from the group, his parting from Kha and Siv is especially hard. What about the separation makes it particularly tough for Arn?
2. Who tells Arn that Sombo is only being mean in order to protect Arn from harm?
3. Why does Arn at first hesitate to volunteer when a high-ranking Khmer Rouge soldier asks who wants to play music in a band within the camp?
4. Once Arn and his group is allowed to stop walking and they form a camp, what two groups do the Khmer Rouge soldiers separate the captives into?
5. Why do Arn and his siblings live with their aunt?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)