|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Arn describe the monks at the temple school?
(a) He says they are hard to communicate with since they've taken a vow of silence.
(b) He says they are mean and that they make the children work all the time.
(c) He says they are corrupt and secretly take bribes from government officials.
(d) He says they are kind but that they make the children work all the time.
2. Why do Arn's sister and aunt break down crying when Arn gives them a treat?
(a) They feel sorry for him that he has to use his earnings to provide for his family.
(b) They are worried that he steals to get money.
(c) They don't like the treat he gives them.
(d) They wish he had gotten enough to give every member of the family a treat.
3. Sophea brings news that someone in Arn's family has died while calling out for him. Who is it?
(a) Their mother.
(b) Their sister Jorami.
(c) Their brother Munny.
(d) Their sister Mali.
4. From where does Chantou send Arn a letter?
(a) From a mountain camp.
(b) From her adoptive parents' home in America.
(c) From their home village.
(d) From an opera house in Thailand.
5. When the Khmer Rouge soldiers take all of the captives' clothes and burn them, what clothing do they provide instead?
(a) Yellow uniforms.
(b) Red uniforms.
(c) Green uniforms.
(d) Black uniforms.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the children in the band have had no rice for many days, the Khmer Rouge tell them they are getting a special dinner of banana peels, rice husks, and rotten pieces of food. Arn knows that this is usually the food given to which kind of farm animal?
2. What details does the author include to let the reader know that the kitchen girl's sexual molestation of Arn happens without his consent?
3. When the trucks of Khmer Rouge soldiers first arrive, what does the radio tell the Cambodian people to do?
4. When the high-ranking soldiers for whom the band played has taken their leave, what is NOT a rule put in place by the remaining Khmer Rouge soldiers?
5. What special food does Arn steal from the leader's house party so that he can share it with Siv and Kha when he returns to camp?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)