|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Sombo's group dwindles to a number of only seven kids, plus Sombo and Koong, they become so tired that they drop most of what they have been carrying. What are the two things they continue to carry?
(a) Water and food.
(b) Guns and bullets.
(c) Cooking pots and kindling.
(d) Extra socks and underwear.
2. After the tragedy, Arn goes to see the Khmer Rouge soldier boy who has told Arn and the other Little Fish that they are not real soldiers. What does he do before he goes to see this boy?
(a) He changes into an all-black uniform.
(b) He paints his face with blood.
(c) He puts on white shorts and takes off his shirt.
(d) He borrows everyone's rifles and hangs them all across his body.
3. When the five-year-old boy that reminds Arn of his little brother sneaks out night after night, returning only in the morning, what does Arn eventually find out he is doing?
(a) He is stealing rice from the kitchen.
(b) He is attacking the Khmer Rouge soldiers from the jungle.
(c) He is eating dead people's flesh in the mango grove.
(d) He is climbing trees to eat the fruit.
4. When the group comes upon a little hidden village and the men beg Sombo and the boys not to hurt them, what does one of the men offer Sombo as a gift?
(a) A bottle of Coca-Cola.
(b) A banyan tree fruit.
(c) A drink of fresh water.
(d) A sweet potato.
5. After Arns separates from the other boys, he wants to get to Thailand. What is the only landmark he knows about that will signal him he's about to get to Thailand?
(a) He knows he will have to wade through a swamp.
(b) He knows he will have to cross a river.
(c) He knows he will have to climb the tallest mountain of three peaks on the horizon.
(d) He knows he will have to cross a series of three bridges.
Short Answer Questions
1. One time when Sombo's group passes another platoon in the woods, he recognizes that platoon's rice girl. Who is it?
2. What new job does the child leader give the Little Fish so that they can prove their loyalty to Angka?
3. What happens the first time Arn shoots his gun?
4. When the new music teacher is too overcome by his own sadness to teach the children, Arn teaches them himself, instructing them to hit the strings lightly, like the wings of what bird?
5. What happens the first time Arn and and another Little Fish go to drop grenades into the tanks of the Vietnamese soldiers?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)