|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are female wolves before they start breeding?
2. What sound does Angeline make when she recognizes the visiting wolves?
3. Why did Mowat have to shut his eyes while throwing the Raunkaier's Circle?
4. What does Mike do when Ootek tells him about the wolves' message?
5. Who chases the does and fawns out of the valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Huskies differ from wolves?
2. What do the strange wolves do when they are with Angeline?
3. How do the wolves act when they come upon the caribou herd?
4. How do wolves maintain population control?
5. Why does Farley Mowat need to leave his observation site?
6. How does the wolf keep the caribou herd strong?
7. Why did Ootek leave the tent after hearing the wolves in the distance?
8. Why didn't the Eskimos stay to eat dinner with Mowat?
9. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
10. Why does Ootek reject the idea of a human child being raised by wolves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Man have a place in the wilderness, or is nature better off without humans? Use text from the book, Never Cry Wolf, to support your opinion on this question.
Essay Topic 2
Wolves were once one of the most widespread mammal species on earth. Why has their population decreased so radically? Write a research paper charting the growth or decrease of wolf populations in North America in the last hundred years.
Essay Topic 3
In Never Cry Wolf, we learn that wolves and other animals have natural controls on their population. Write a research paper about another type of animal and what limits their population from growing out of control.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)