|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mowat, the ideal size for a wolf traveling band is how many?
2. Who chases the does and fawns out of the valley?
3. Which piece of equipment did Mowat find surprisingly useful in his study?
4. Mowat used Uncle Albert in this chapter to observe what aspect of wolf behavior?
5. In late June, Mowat observed the wolves doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the cubs continuing to chase the does and fawns?
2. What does Mowat learn from his encounter in the the wolves' den?
3. How did Farley Mowat get back to civilization?
4. How does the wolf keep the caribou herd strong?
5. How do wolves maintain population control?
6. What was the response to Mowat's reporting of the caribou slaughter by human hunters?
7. Why don't wolves chase the caribou for more than about fifty yards?
8. What does Farley Mowat do when he sees the pack of wolves in this chapter?
9. Why didn't the Eskimos stay to eat dinner with Mowat?
10. How, according to Mowat, does Angeline play jokes on George when he returns from hunting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Mowat able to travel by canoe to look for wolves? Write a paper comparing the various modes of transportation in wilderness areas.
Essay Topic 2
How do the human characters in Never Cry Wolf relate to the theme of finding one's place in nature? Describe how each character relates to the natural world.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write an essay about the depiction of wolves in fiction, legends, and folk stories. How do these depictions compare with Mowat's stories? Use details from the book in your essay.
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)