|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what direction does Ootek claim to hear wolf howls?
2. How old are female wolves before they start breeding?
3. Which piece of equipment did Mowat find surprisingly useful in his study?
4. When being seriously chased by a wolf, the caribou tended to run:
5. Who chases the does and fawns out of the valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
2. Why didn't the Eskimos stay to eat dinner with Mowat?
3. What do the strange wolves do when they are with Angeline?
4. What does Mowat learn from his encounter in the the wolves' den?
5. Why does Farley Mowat need to leave his observation site?
6. Describe what the pups do when they are playing near the den?
7. What does Farley Mowat do when he sees the pack of wolves in this chapter?
8. How do wolves maintain population control?
9. How do the wolves act when they come upon the caribou herd?
10. What is the purpose of the Raunkaier's Circle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the techniques that Farley Mowat uses in this book to create humor. List all the different types of humor in the book, giving at least two examples of each technique.
Essay Topic 2
Part of Farley Mowat's purpose in writing this book was to show the importance of community to the wolf. Describe the wolf community as shown in this book, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Farley find his place in the wilderness during his expedition? Describe how he adapts himself to his environment.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)