|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event finally convinces Mowat that Ootek can understand wolf language?
2. In Ootek's story, what happened to a litter of orphaned wolf cubs?
3. A hunting wolf would mostly likely target which of the following?
4. How does Albert first react to the female Husky?
5. Farley Mowat notes that in June, Angeline began to show signs of:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the wolf keep the caribou herd strong?
2. Why do the adult wolves give up running after the does and fawns?
3. How, according to Mowat, does Angeline play jokes on George when he returns from hunting?
4. What does Mowat learn from his encounter in the the wolves' den?
5. Why is Mowat especially embarrassed when Angeline shows her disdain of him?
6. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
7. Why does Farley Mowat need to leave his observation site?
8. Why did Ootek leave the tent after hearing the wolves in the distance?
9. Describe what the pups do when they are playing near the den?
10. Why don't wolves chase the caribou for more than about fifty yards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the human characters in Never Cry Wolf relate to the theme of finding one's place in nature? Describe how each character relates to the natural world.
Essay Topic 2
Part of Farley Mowat's purpose in writing this book was to show the importance of community to the wolf. Describe the wolf community as shown in this book, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is it that attracts people to the wilderness? Interview at least three people about why they enjoy (or do not enjoy) going out to the wild.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)