|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mowat used Uncle Albert in this chapter to observe what aspect of wolf behavior?
2. What do the caribou do when Mowat appears?
3. What alerts Angeline to Mowat's presence?
4. When do the caribou migrate South?
5. Which governmental agency was asked to search for Farley Mowat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ootek reject the idea of a human child being raised by wolves?
2. Why didn't the Eskimos stay to eat dinner with Mowat?
3. Why did Ootek leave the tent after hearing the wolves in the distance?
4. What, according to Mike, did Ootek learn from the wolf howls about caribou?
5. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
6. Why does Farley Mowat need to leave his observation site?
7. How, according to Mowat, does Angeline play jokes on George when he returns from hunting?
8. How do the wolves act when they come upon the caribou herd?
9. Why do the adult wolves give up running after the does and fawns?
10. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an essay about the depiction of wolves in fiction, legends, and folk stories. How do these depictions compare with Mowat's stories? Use details from the book in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
How does Farley find his place in the wilderness during his expedition? Describe how he adapts himself to his environment.
Essay Topic 3
Wolves were once one of the most widespread mammal species on earth. Why has their population decreased so radically? Write a research paper charting the growth or decrease of wolf populations in North America in the last hundred years.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)