|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ootek, wolf cubs have even been adopted by:
2. What do the male caribou do when the wolves appear?
3. According to Mike, one of the wolves is:
4. Mowat used Uncle Albert in this chapter to observe what aspect of wolf behavior?
5. What study did Mowat take up after losing the Raunkiaer's Circle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do wolves maintain population control?
2. What do the strange wolves do when they are with Angeline?
3. Why does Ootek reject the idea of a human child being raised by wolves?
4. How do Huskies differ from wolves?
5. Why don't wolves chase the caribou for more than about fifty yards?
6. How does the wolf keep the caribou herd strong?
7. Why didn't the Eskimos stay to eat dinner with Mowat?
8. What, according to Mike, did Ootek learn from the wolf howls about caribou?
9. What does Farley Mowat do when he sees the pack of wolves in this chapter?
10. What is the purpose of the cubs continuing to chase the does and fawns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an essay about the depiction of wolves in fiction, legends, and folk stories. How do these depictions compare with Mowat's stories? Use details from the book in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the conflict between science and folklore in this book. Which system is shown to be more reliable? Use text from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do wolf family relationships differ from human family relationships? Examine this question through this book, but include research from outside resources if possible.
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)