|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Uncle Albert relieve Farley Mowat's boredom during the summer?
2. What emotion does Mowat feel after he leaves the den?
3. What do the male caribou do when the wolves appear?
4. What did Mowat believe the Eskimo family was trying to do to him?
5. When do the caribou migrate South?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Raunkaier's Circle?
2. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
3. How does the wolf keep the caribou herd strong?
4. Why does Ootek reject the idea of a human child being raised by wolves?
5. What does Mowat learn from his encounter in the the wolves' den?
6. Describe what the pups do when they are playing near the den?
7. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
8. Why is Mowat especially embarrassed when Angeline shows her disdain of him?
9. What is the purpose of the cubs continuing to chase the does and fawns?
10. Why do the adult wolves give up running after the does and fawns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wolves were once one of the most widespread mammal species on earth. Why has their population decreased so radically? Write a research paper charting the growth or decrease of wolf populations in North America in the last hundred years.
Essay Topic 2
Farley Mowat describes the capital city of Ottawa, the small frontier town of Churchill, and the nearly unpopulated Arctic wilderness. How does he depict these three contrasting places? How does he use them to develop his theme of Man's place in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Does Man have a place in the wilderness, or is nature better off without humans? Use text from the book, Never Cry Wolf, to support your opinion on this question.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)