|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What study did Mowat take up after losing the Raunkiaer's Circle?
2. What event finally convinces Mowat that Ootek can understand wolf language?
3. A hunting wolf would mostly likely target which of the following?
4. What was the estimate of wolf population in the Keewatin territory prior to Farley Mowat's study?
5. According to Ootek, wolf cubs have even been adopted by:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ootek reject the idea of a human child being raised by wolves?
2. Why didn't the Eskimos stay to eat dinner with Mowat?
3. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
4. Why don't wolves chase the caribou for more than about fifty yards?
5. What does Farley Mowat do when he sees the pack of wolves in this chapter?
6. What, according to Mike, did Ootek learn from the wolf howls about caribou?
7. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
8. How do Huskies differ from wolves?
9. Why did Ootek leave the tent after hearing the wolves in the distance?
10. What is the purpose of the Raunkaier's Circle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have people's perceptions about wolves changed since this book was written? Research critical opinion about the book and its ideas and how they have changed since the book's publication.
Essay Topic 2
How does Farley find his place in the wilderness during his expedition? Describe how he adapts himself to his environment.
Essay Topic 3
Farley Mowat describes the capital city of Ottawa, the small frontier town of Churchill, and the nearly unpopulated Arctic wilderness. How does he depict these three contrasting places? How does he use them to develop his theme of Man's place in the world?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)