|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Farley Mowat doing when he sees the wolves in this chapter?
2. What did Mowat believe the Eskimo family was trying to do to him?
3. When do the caribou migrate South?
4. Which piece of equipment did Mowat find surprisingly useful in his study?
5. How old are female wolves before they start breeding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do wolves maintain population control?
2. Why do Farley Mowat and Ootek take a canoe trip?
3. How do Huskies differ from wolves?
4. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
5. Why does Farley Mowat need to leave his observation site?
6. Why is Mowat especially embarrassed when Angeline shows her disdain of him?
7. How did Farley Mowat get back to civilization?
8. Describe what the pups do when they are playing near the den?
9. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
10. What is the purpose of the Raunkaier's Circle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Farley find his place in the wilderness during his expedition? Describe how he adapts himself to his environment.
Essay Topic 2
Does Man have a place in the wilderness, or is nature better off without humans? Use text from the book, Never Cry Wolf, to support your opinion on this question.
Essay Topic 3
How have people's perceptions about wolves changed since this book was written? Research critical opinion about the book and its ideas and how they have changed since the book's publication.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)