|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A hunting wolf would mostly likely target which of the following?
2. From what direction does Ootek claim to hear wolf howls?
3. How many caribou is a wolf pack likely to kill on a single hunt?
4. Why do the pups run for their shelter?
5. What does Mowat do after leaving the wolves' den?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Farley Mowat and Ootek take a canoe trip?
2. Why didn't the Eskimos stay to eat dinner with Mowat?
3. What is the purpose of the Raunkaier's Circle?
4. What does Mowat learn from his encounter in the the wolves' den?
5. How did Farley Mowat get back to civilization?
6. How, according to Mowat, does Angeline play jokes on George when he returns from hunting?
7. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
8. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
9. Why is Mowat especially embarrassed when Angeline shows her disdain of him?
10. How do the wolves act when they come upon the caribou herd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the human characters in Never Cry Wolf relate to the theme of finding one's place in nature? Describe how each character relates to the natural world.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an essay about the depiction of wolves in fiction, legends, and folk stories. How do these depictions compare with Mowat's stories? Use details from the book in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Why was Mowat able to travel by canoe to look for wolves? Write a paper comparing the various modes of transportation in wilderness areas.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)