|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What parasite does Farley Mowat show to Ootek?
2. What event does Mowat describe as a high point of the day?
3. How many wolf-killed caribou did Farley Mowat examine?
4. Which governmental agency was asked to search for Farley Mowat?
5. Which piece of equipment did Mowat find surprisingly useful in his study?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ootek reject the idea of a human child being raised by wolves?
2. Why don't wolves chase the caribou for more than about fifty yards?
3. How did Farley Mowat get back to civilization?
4. What, according to Mike, did Ootek learn from the wolf howls about caribou?
5. Why didn't the Eskimos stay to eat dinner with Mowat?
6. How does the wolf keep the caribou herd strong?
7. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
8. What is the purpose of the cubs continuing to chase the does and fawns?
9. Why do the adult wolves give up running after the does and fawns?
10. How, according to Mowat, does Angeline play jokes on George when he returns from hunting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the techniques that Farley Mowat uses in this book to create humor. List all the different types of humor in the book, giving at least two examples of each technique.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that compares or contrasts Farley Mowat's voice with that of another author.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write an essay about the depiction of wolves in fiction, legends, and folk stories. How do these depictions compare with Mowat's stories? Use details from the book in your essay.
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)