|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mowat do after leaving the wolves' den?
2. Mowat describes the puppies as being roughly the same size and shape as what?
3. What alerts Angeline to Mowat's presence?
4. How many strange wolves arrive at the den while George and Albert are hunting?
5. How many wolf-killed caribou did Farley Mowat examine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Farley Mowat do when he sees the pack of wolves in this chapter?
2. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
3. Why do Farley Mowat and Ootek take a canoe trip?
4. What does Mowat learn from his encounter in the the wolves' den?
5. What do the strange wolves do when they are with Angeline?
6. What, according to Mike, did Ootek learn from the wolf howls about caribou?
7. Why did Ootek leave the tent after hearing the wolves in the distance?
8. Why does Ootek reject the idea of a human child being raised by wolves?
9. Why don't wolves chase the caribou for more than about fifty yards?
10. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Man have a place in the wilderness, or is nature better off without humans? Use text from the book, Never Cry Wolf, to support your opinion on this question.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the techniques that Farley Mowat uses in this book to create humor. List all the different types of humor in the book, giving at least two examples of each technique.
Essay Topic 3
Part of Farley Mowat's purpose in writing this book was to show the importance of community to the wolf. Describe the wolf community as shown in this book, using examples from the text.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)