|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mowat figure that the female wolf has disappeared to?
2. Why does the plane have trouble taking off?
3. According to Ootek, the wolves eat what in addition to mice?
4. There, Mowat encounters:
5. In order to avoid detection, Mowat sets his observation point:
Short Essay Questions
1. What course of action does Mowat undertake when he cannot follow his instructions?
2. What circumstances prevented Mowat from making the extensive general survey mandated by his instructions?
3. Why is Mowat especially embarrassed when Angeline shows her disdain of him?
4. How does Mowat finally find the wolves?
5. How do the wolves act when they come upon the caribou herd?
6. Why does Farley Mowat start eating mice?
7. Where does Farley Mowat move to when he leaves the cabin?
8. What unfortunate incident happens after Farley Mowat sets out his mouse traps?
9. What piece of equipment was Mowat forced to leave behind when he flew out of Churchill?
10. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Farley Mowat refers to Mike and Ootek as "Eskimos," which is an outdated term. Research the native people in the Keewatin area and write an essay arguing which group or tribe Mike and Ootek are most likely associated with. Use details from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the conflict between science and folklore in this book. Which system is shown to be more reliable? Use text from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Farley Mowat learned a lot from the wolves about surviving in the wilderness. Write an essay describing what he learned from the wolves. Use examples from the text to support your examples.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)