|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the male wolves usually leave their area to hunt?
2. How far did the pilot fly to Mowat's base?
3. There, Mowat encounters:
4. The plane flew at what altitude?
5. Mowat includes a recipe in this chapter for what dish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mowat learn from his encounter in the the wolves' den?
2. What unfortunate incident happens after Farley Mowat sets out his mouse traps?
3. What circumstances prevented Mowat from making the extensive general survey mandated by his instructions?
4. How do the wolves act when they come upon the caribou herd?
5. What happened to the former chief of the Department?
6. What was the purpose of the tear-gas grenades that Farley Mowat was equipped with?
7. How does the wolf keep the caribou herd strong?
8. Why did the pilot scold Mowat?
9. How did Mowat's grandmother react to his wildlife project?
10. Why don't wolves chase the caribou for more than about fifty yards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the human characters in Never Cry Wolf relate to the theme of finding one's place in nature? Describe how each character relates to the natural world.
Essay Topic 2
Why was Mowat able to travel by canoe to look for wolves? Write a paper comparing the various modes of transportation in wilderness areas.
Essay Topic 3
How have people's perceptions about wolves changed since this book was written? Research critical opinion about the book and its ideas and how they have changed since the book's publication.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)