|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ootek, the wolves eat what in addition to mice?
2. He is directed to survey which species?
3. If a wolf bites, what should Mowat do, according to a woman in Churchill?
4. What happens to Mike's cabin in the spring?
5. What does the pilot call his plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally brought Mowat's stay in Churchill to an end?
2. In the story that Ootek tells, what is the relationship of the wolf and the caribou?
3. What circumstances prevented Mowat from making the extensive general survey mandated by his instructions?
4. What piece of equipment was Mowat forced to leave behind when he flew out of Churchill?
5. What plan does Mowat undertake in the morning?
6. Why does Mowat break his mouse-only diet?
7. What effect did his message have on the Department?
8. Why is Mowat sent to study the wolves?
9. What incident stated Farley Mowat on his future career as a biologist?
10. What stories did Mowat hear from the people in Churchill about wolves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it that attracts people to the wilderness? Interview at least three people about why they enjoy (or do not enjoy) going out to the wild.
Essay Topic 2
Does Man have a place in the wilderness, or is nature better off without humans? Use text from the book, Never Cry Wolf, to support your opinion on this question.
Essay Topic 3
Wolves were once one of the most widespread mammal species on earth. Why has their population decreased so radically? Write a research paper charting the growth or decrease of wolf populations in North America in the last hundred years.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)