|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. His radio message was forwarded to whom?
2. What does Mowat observe the wolves doing?
3. Mowat's field professor is an expert on which rodent?
4. What language does Mowat hear on his radio?
5. Who is Kaila?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Farley Mowat so disturbed by what Mike tells him about hunting caribou?
2. What finally brought Mowat's stay in Churchill to an end?
3. Where did the pilot end up leaving Mowat?
4. Describe Mike's character.
5. What does Mowat do to protect himself when he thinks he hears wolves approaching?
6. Why does Mowat break his mouse-only diet?
7. How does Mowat engage Mike's help in setting up his base camp?
8. What piece of equipment was Mowat forced to leave behind when he flew out of Churchill?
9. How do the wolves confound Farley Mowat's expectations in this chapter?
10. Explain the names that Farley Mowat gives to the wolves.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that compares or contrasts Farley Mowat's voice with that of another author.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write a paper on the scientific experiments on animals and language. What have scientists learned about animals and language since Farley Mowat wrote Never Cry Wolf?
Essay Topic 3
Farley Mowat describes the capital city of Ottawa, the small frontier town of Churchill, and the nearly unpopulated Arctic wilderness. How does he depict these three contrasting places? How does he use them to develop his theme of Man's place in the world?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)