|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Mowat are the most bloodthirsty beats in the Arctic?
2. How many pilots were available in Churchill by the time Mowat arrived?
3. The diameter of the wolf paw prints are how large?
4. What is Mowat's first salary?
5. What did Ootek give to Mowat after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mowat do to protect himself when he thinks he hears wolves approaching?
2. How did Mowat's grandmother react to his wildlife project?
3. Describe Mike's character.
4. What conclusion does Mowat draw from the number of bones in the area around the cabin?
5. Describe the area around the wolf den.
6. Where did the pilot end up leaving Mowat?
7. How does Angeline hunt for animals in the area around the wolves' den?
8. How does Mowat engage Mike's help in setting up his base camp?
9. Why is Mowat sent to study the wolves?
10. Why does Mowat break his mouse-only diet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wolves were once one of the most widespread mammal species on earth. Why has their population decreased so radically? Write a research paper charting the growth or decrease of wolf populations in North America in the last hundred years.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the conflict between science and folklore in this book. Which system is shown to be more reliable? Use text from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Farley Mowat refers to Mike and Ootek as "Eskimos," which is an outdated term. Research the native people in the Keewatin area and write an essay arguing which group or tribe Mike and Ootek are most likely associated with. Use details from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)