|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of his radio call sign?
2. What does Mowat show to Mike?
3. Who is Kaila?
4. The radio batteries are good for how long?
5. The Deputy Minister wants to be called by which title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a "wolf nap."
2. What was the purpose of the tear-gas grenades that Farley Mowat was equipped with?
3. What finally brought Mowat's stay in Churchill to an end?
4. Describe Mike's character.
5. What conclusion does Mowat draw from the number of bones in the area around the cabin?
6. Where did the pilot end up leaving Mowat?
7. What stories did Mowat hear from the people in Churchill about wolves?
8. What happened to the former chief of the Department?
9. What incident stated Farley Mowat on his future career as a biologist?
10. What does Mowat do to protect himself when he thinks he hears wolves approaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine yourself in Farley Mowat's place when he was left alone in the wilderness. What would you do in such a situation? Describe at least three different courses of action you might take.
Essay Topic 2
Part of Farley Mowat's purpose in writing this book was to show the importance of community to the wolf. Describe the wolf community as shown in this book, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Farley Mowat describes the capital city of Ottawa, the small frontier town of Churchill, and the nearly unpopulated Arctic wilderness. How does he depict these three contrasting places? How does he use them to develop his theme of Man's place in the world?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)