|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did the pilot fly to Mowat's base?
2. Young Mowat finds what dying animals on his grandparents' land?
3. There, Mowat encounters:
4. According to Ootek, when he was five, his father:
5. Where does he put the animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the names that Farley Mowat gives to the wolves.
2. What reason does Mike give for leaving his cabin?
3. Why is Farley Mowat so disturbed by what Mike tells him about hunting caribou?
4. Describe a "wolf nap."
5. How does Angeline hunt for animals in the area around the wolves' den?
6. What is "wolf-juice?"
7. What rumor went around Churchill about Mowat's "real" purpose for being in the area?
8. What finally brought Mowat's stay in Churchill to an end?
9. How did Mowat's grandmother react to his wildlife project?
10. What circumstances prevented Mowat from making the extensive general survey mandated by his instructions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the human characters in Never Cry Wolf relate to the theme of finding one's place in nature? Describe how each character relates to the natural world.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an essay about the depiction of wolves in fiction, legends, and folk stories. How do these depictions compare with Mowat's stories? Use details from the book in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Farley Mowat describes the capital city of Ottawa, the small frontier town of Churchill, and the nearly unpopulated Arctic wilderness. How does he depict these three contrasting places? How does he use them to develop his theme of Man's place in the world?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)