|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mowat is surprised to see what with the wolves?
(a) A pack of foxes
(b) A dark-gray wolf
(c) Some of Mike's dogs
(d) Ootek and Mike
2. According to Mowat, the ideal size for a wolf traveling band is how many?
(a) Ten to fifteen individuals
(b) Three to seven individuals
(c) One to five individuals
(d) Five to ten individuals
3. How does George play a joke on Albert?
(a) He howls right in Albert's ear
(b) He sneaks up and pounces on him
(c) He pretends to catch a mouse
(d) He hides Albert's piece of meat
4. What noise frightens Farley Mowat as he makes his last visit to the wolves' den?
(a) A wolf howling very close by
(b) An airplane flying overhead
(c) Mike's dogs chasing a rabbit
(d) Ice cracking in the river
5. Mowat tells about one hunter killing over a hundred wolves in a single by using what method?
(a) A machine gun
(b) A single rifle
(c) Widespread poison
(d) Several wolf traps
Short Answer Questions
1. What event finally convinces Mowat that Ootek can understand wolf language?
2. Why, according to Mowat, are the wolves taking a holiday?
3. According to Ootek, one wolf patriarch lived to be at least how old?
4. Farley Mowat watches the caribou from what vantage point?
5. Which governmental agency was asked to search for Farley Mowat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the wolves act when they come upon the caribou herd?
2. How, according to Mowat, does Angeline play jokes on George when he returns from hunting?
3. Why does Ootek reject the idea of a human child being raised by wolves?
4. How did Farley Mowat get back to civilization?
5. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
6. What do the strange wolves do when they are with Angeline?
7. Why do the adult wolves give up running after the does and fawns?
8. Why did Ootek leave the tent after hearing the wolves in the distance?
9. Why don't wolves chase the caribou for more than about fifty yards?
10. Explain Ootek's statement that there are no orphans among the wolves.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)