|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Mowat, are the wolves taking a holiday?
(a) They killed a caribou close to home
(b) They are resting before migrating South
(c) They usually rest at least one day a week
(d) It's far too hot a day to go hunting
2. Mowat confesses that he didn't believe Ootek's story until what happens?
(a) Mowat sees the wolves he's observing do the same thing
(b) He hears a similar story from a white naturalist
(c) Mike insists that the story was true and he was there
(d) Ootek takes him on a trip to visit the site of the event
3. This chapter takes place during which month?
4. How many caribou is a wolf pack likely to kill on a single hunt?
(a) Three or four
(b) One or less
(c) Two or three
(d) As many as possible
5. How does George play a joke on Albert?
(a) He pretends to catch a mouse
(b) He howls right in Albert's ear
(c) He hides Albert's piece of meat
(d) He sneaks up and pounces on him
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the estimate of wolf population in the Keewatin territory prior to Farley Mowat's study?
2. Mowat goes to view an alleged slaughter of deer by wolves in what location?
3. Which piece of equipment did Mowat find surprisingly useful in his study?
4. What noise frightens Farley Mowat as he makes his last visit to the wolves' den?
5. How much is the bounty offered for dead wolves, according to Mowat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't the Eskimos stay to eat dinner with Mowat?
2. What was the response to Mowat's reporting of the caribou slaughter by human hunters?
3. Why do the adult wolves give up running after the does and fawns?
4. How do wolves maintain population control?
5. How did Farley Mowat get back to civilization?
6. Describe what the pups do when they are playing near the den?
7. Why did Ootek leave the tent after hearing the wolves in the distance?
8. Why does Mike allow Mowat to use his female Husky in the experiment?
9. How does the wolf keep the caribou herd strong?
10. Why does Farley Mowat need to leave his observation site?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)