|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time do the wolves appear with the herd?
(a) A little after dawn
(b) Shortly before noon
(c) Just before sunset
2. What does Mowat do after leaving the wolves' den?
(a) He makes a few notes
(b) He smokes a cigarette
(c) He swims in the river
(d) He picks up a stone
3. What does Mike do when Ootek tells him about the wolves' message?
(a) He ties the dogs close to the cabin
(b) He packs up for a hunting trip
(c) He closes the cabin door for the night
(d) He sets out traps for the wolves
4. How did Uncle Albert relieve Farley Mowat's boredom during the summer?
(a) He clowned while hunting
(b) He fell in love
(c) He played with the pups
(d) He fought a black bear
5. Which wolf seems the most restless?
(c) One of the pups
6. How old are female wolves before they start breeding?
(a) Four years
(b) Three years
(c) Two years
(d) Fourteen months
7. What was the estimate of wolf population in the Keewatin territory prior to Farley Mowat's study?
8. Mowat describes the puppies as being roughly the same size and shape as what?
9. What did Ootek later tell him they were doing?
(a) Trying to scare him
(b) Trying to save him
(c) Trying to clothe him
(d) Trying to hunt caribou
10. Why, according to Mowat, are the wolves taking a holiday?
(a) They killed a caribou close to home
(b) They are resting before migrating South
(c) It's far too hot a day to go hunting
(d) They usually rest at least one day a week
11. According to Ootek, wolf cubs have even been adopted by:
(a) Caribou herds
(b) Human mothers
(c) Arctic foxes
(d) Grizzly bears
12. What do the wolves do when they see the caribou bucks?
(a) Pass on by
(b) Try to catch them
(c) Kill one of them
(d) Run away from them
13. What was the estimate that Mowat finally came to regarding the wolf population?
14. Mowat is surprised to see what with the wolves?
(a) A pack of foxes
(b) A dark-gray wolf
(c) Ootek and Mike
(d) Some of Mike's dogs
15. How many caribou had been killed?
Short Answer Questions
1. From what direction does Ootek claim to hear wolf howls?
2. According to Mowat, the ideal size for a wolf traveling band is how many?
3. What were the puppies playing with?
4. What does Mowat find inside the wolves' den?
5. What keeps George from reaching the female Husky?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)