|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time do the wolves appear with the herd?
(a) Shortly before noon
(c) Just before sunset
(d) A little after dawn
2. Mowat tells about one hunter killing over a hundred wolves in a single by using what method?
(a) Several wolf traps
(b) Widespread poison
(c) A machine gun
(d) A single rifle
3. According to Ootek, wolf cubs have even been adopted by:
(a) Human mothers
(b) Grizzly bears
(c) Arctic foxes
(d) Caribou herds
4. What event does Mowat describe as a high point of the day?
(a) When Angeline hunts for mice in the grass
(b) When the pups come out of the den to play
(c) When the wolves gather in a circle and howl
(d) When the wolves return to the den
5. What was the estimate of wolf population in the Keewatin territory prior to Farley Mowat's study?
6. What did Mowat believe the Eskimo family was trying to do to him?
(a) Hide him
(b) Clothe him
(c) Kill him
(d) Feed him
7. According to Mowat, a rabid wolf wandered into what town in 1946?
8. What is the name of Mike's dog that Mowat uses in his experiment?
9. How much is the bounty offered for dead wolves, according to Mowat?
(a) From $5 to $10
(b) From $2 to $5
(c) From $15 to $25
(d) From $10 to $30
10. How did Uncle Albert relieve Farley Mowat's boredom during the summer?
(a) He fell in love
(b) He played with the pups
(c) He clowned while hunting
(d) He fought a black bear
11. Mowat describes the puppies as being roughly the same size and shape as what?
12. In late June, Mowat observed the wolves doing what?
(a) Visiting with another group of wolves
(b) Attack and killing a caribou
(c) Fighting off a group of foxes
(d) Moving the pups to a new location
13. What does Mowat do after leaving the wolves' den?
(a) He smokes a cigarette
(b) He makes a few notes
(c) He picks up a stone
(d) He swims in the river
14. What is Farley Mowat doing when he sees the wolves in this chapter?
15. Mowat used Uncle Albert in this chapter to observe what aspect of wolf behavior?
(a) Mating behavior
(b) Hunting behavior
(c) Alpha-dog status
(d) Long-range travel
Short Answer Questions
1. Mowat is surprised to see what with the wolves?
2. How was the wolf finally killed?
3. What event finally convinces Mowat that Ootek can understand wolf language?
4. Why, according to Mowat, are the wolves taking a holiday?
5. How many wolf-killed caribou did Farley Mowat examine?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)