|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many caribou had been killed?
2. Where does Farley Mowat go to observe the pups?
(a) A hill above the den
(b) To the shore of the river
(c) A grove of pine trees
(d) An outcropping of rocks
3. This chapter takes place during which month?
4. Why, according to Mowat, are the wolves taking a holiday?
(a) They are resting before migrating South
(b) They usually rest at least one day a week
(c) They killed a caribou close to home
(d) It's far too hot a day to go hunting
5. What sound does Angeline make when she recognizes the visiting wolves?
(a) A howl
(b) A whine
(c) A bark
(d) A growl
6. Mowat describes the puppies as being roughly the same size and shape as what?
7. Why does Mowat go into the wolves' den?
(a) To measure it
(b) To hide inside it
(c) To look for George
(d) To collect wolf scats
8. Which wolf seems the most restless?
(a) One of the pups
9. What does Mike do when Ootek tells him about the wolves' message?
(a) He closes the cabin door for the night
(b) He packs up for a hunting trip
(c) He sets out traps for the wolves
(d) He ties the dogs close to the cabin
10. What do the male caribou do when the wolves appear?
(a) Charge them
(b) Bellow loudly
(c) Run at them
11. Which governmental agency was asked to search for Farley Mowat?
(a) The Department of Forestry
(b) The Churchill City Council
(c) The Royal Canadian Mounties
(d) The Interior Department
12. What did Mowat cook for his guests?
(a) Fried mice with a crème sauce
(b) Fish balls in sweet-and-sour sauce
(c) Roast duck with an apricot glaze
(d) Barbequed caribou and canned peas
13. What is the name of Mike's dog that Mowat uses in his experiment?
14. What was the estimate of wolf population in the Keewatin territory prior to Farley Mowat's study?
15. In late June, Mowat observed the wolves doing what?
(a) Attack and killing a caribou
(b) Visiting with another group of wolves
(c) Moving the pups to a new location
(d) Fighting off a group of foxes
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mowat, a rabid wolf wandered into what town in 1946?
2. What does Angeline do when she returns to the pups?
3. Who chases the does and fawns out of the valley?
4. What alerts Angeline to Mowat's presence?
5. Why do the pups run for their shelter?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)