|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the wolf finally killed?
(a) He was struck by a car
(b) He was killed by a bear
(c) He was shot by a soldier
(d) He died of the disease
2. Why did Mowat have to shut his eyes while throwing the Raunkaier's Circle?
(a) To make sure it landed in a random spot
(b) To make sure he didn't see where it landed
(c) To keep himself from being blinded by the sun
(d) To keep himself from becoming too dizzy
3. What is the name of Mike's dog that Mowat uses in his experiment?
4. What keeps George from reaching the female Husky?
(a) He gets confused
(b) Angeline trips him
(c) Albert fights him off
(d) Mowat fires his gun
5. How long do Albert and the Husky stay together?
(a) Only two days
(b) A few hours
(c) Over a month
(d) About a week
6. In late June, Mowat observed the wolves doing what?
(a) Attack and killing a caribou
(b) Fighting off a group of foxes
(c) Moving the pups to a new location
(d) Visiting with another group of wolves
7. What alerts Angeline to Mowat's presence?
(a) He trips on a branch
(b) His stomach growls
(c) She smells him
(d) She sees his shadow
8. What noise frightens Farley Mowat as he makes his last visit to the wolves' den?
(a) An airplane flying overhead
(b) A wolf howling very close by
(c) Mike's dogs chasing a rabbit
(d) Ice cracking in the river
9. How old are female wolves before they start breeding?
(a) Four years
(b) Fourteen months
(c) Two years
(d) Three years
10. Who chases the does and fawns out of the valley?
(c) The pups
11. What can happen if you ingest nematode worms?
(a) You will develop cysts
(b) You will get diarrhea
(c) You will choke to death
(d) You will vomit continuously
12. According to Mowat, the ideal size for a wolf traveling band is how many?
(a) Three to seven individuals
(b) Ten to fifteen individuals
(c) Five to ten individuals
(d) One to five individuals
13. What do the male caribou do when the wolves appear?
(a) Bellow loudly
(c) Charge them
(d) Run at them
14. Which of the three vegetation studies does Farley Mowat decide to undertake?
15. What event finally convinces Mowat that Ootek can understand wolf language?
(a) Ootek learns about approaching friends from the wolves
(b) Ootek uses the wolf's information to find caribou
(c) Ootek tells Mowat what time the wolves will return
(d) Ootek tells Mike that the river will be flooding soon
Short Answer Questions
1. How many caribou is a wolf pack likely to kill on a single hunt?
2. How much is the bounty offered for dead wolves, according to Mowat?
3. What study did Mowat take up after losing the Raunkiaer's Circle?
4. What emotion does Mowat feel after he leaves the den?
5. Mowat tells about one hunter killing over a hundred wolves in a single by using what method?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)