|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is the bounty offered for dead wolves, according to Mowat?
(a) From $5 to $10
(b) From $2 to $5
(c) From $15 to $25
(d) From $10 to $30
2. Why did Mowat have to shut his eyes while throwing the Raunkaier's Circle?
(a) To keep himself from being blinded by the sun
(b) To make sure he didn't see where it landed
(c) To keep himself from becoming too dizzy
(d) To make sure it landed in a random spot
3. Why do the pups run for their shelter?
(a) A black bear lumbers by
(b) Mowat starts making noise
(c) A raven passes overhead
(d) A kestrel screams nearby
4. What event does Mowat describe as a high point of the day?
(a) When the pups come out of the den to play
(b) When Angeline hunts for mice in the grass
(c) When the wolves gather in a circle and howl
(d) When the wolves return to the den
5. Why, according to Mowat, are the wolves taking a holiday?
(a) They killed a caribou close to home
(b) They usually rest at least one day a week
(c) They are resting before migrating South
(d) It's far too hot a day to go hunting
6. What did Mowat cook for his guests?
(a) Fried mice with a crème sauce
(b) Barbequed caribou and canned peas
(c) Roast duck with an apricot glaze
(d) Fish balls in sweet-and-sour sauce
7. What did Mowat believe the Eskimo family was trying to do to him?
(a) Kill him
(b) Hide him
(c) Feed him
(d) Clothe him
8. What was the estimate that Mowat finally came to regarding the wolf population?
9. What is Farley Mowat doing when he sees the wolves in this chapter?
10. Mowat confesses that he didn't believe Ootek's story until what happens?
(a) Mowat sees the wolves he's observing do the same thing
(b) He hears a similar story from a white naturalist
(c) Ootek takes him on a trip to visit the site of the event
(d) Mike insists that the story was true and he was there
11. Why does Mowat go into the wolves' den?
(a) To collect wolf scats
(b) To measure it
(c) To hide inside it
(d) To look for George
12. When being seriously chased by a wolf, the caribou tended to run:
(a) In zig-zags
(b) In circles
(c) Towards the river
(d) Up the nearest hill
13. Mowat describes the puppies as being roughly the same size and shape as what?
14. From what direction does Ootek claim to hear wolf howls?
15. How old are female wolves before they start breeding?
(a) Fourteen months
(b) Four years
(c) Three years
(d) Two years
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people did the rabid wolf kill?
2. This chapter takes place during which month?
3. How was the wolf finally killed?
4. Which governmental agency was asked to search for Farley Mowat?
5. Which of the three vegetation studies does Farley Mowat decide to undertake?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)