|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what direction does Ootek claim to hear wolf howls?
2. What noise frightens Farley Mowat as he makes his last visit to the wolves' den?
(a) A wolf howling very close by
(b) Ice cracking in the river
(c) An airplane flying overhead
(d) Mike's dogs chasing a rabbit
3. How old are female wolves before they start breeding?
(a) Three years
(b) Four years
(c) Fourteen months
(d) Two years
4. Why do the pups run for their shelter?
(a) A black bear lumbers by
(b) A raven passes overhead
(c) A kestrel screams nearby
(d) Mowat starts making noise
5. How does George play a joke on Albert?
(a) He hides Albert's piece of meat
(b) He pretends to catch a mouse
(c) He howls right in Albert's ear
(d) He sneaks up and pounces on him
6. What event does Mowat describe as a high point of the day?
(a) When the pups come out of the den to play
(b) When the wolves gather in a circle and howl
(c) When the wolves return to the den
(d) When Angeline hunts for mice in the grass
7. Mowat describes the puppies as being roughly the same size and shape as what?
8. In late June, Mowat observed the wolves doing what?
(a) Moving the pups to a new location
(b) Fighting off a group of foxes
(c) Attack and killing a caribou
(d) Visiting with another group of wolves
9. What can happen if you ingest nematode worms?
(a) You will choke to death
(b) You will vomit continuously
(c) You will get diarrhea
(d) You will develop cysts
10. Mowat goes to view an alleged slaughter of deer by wolves in what location?
(a) Fishduck Lake
(b) Manitoba Springs
(c) Mt. McKinley
(d) Churchill Downs
11. How many people did the rabid wolf kill?
12. What was the estimate of wolf population in the Keewatin territory prior to Farley Mowat's study?
13. How does Albert first react to the female Husky?
(a) He tries to bite her
(b) He turns into a buffoon
(c) He pretends to ignore her
(d) He runs in the other direction
14. A hunting wolf would mostly likely target which of the following?
(a) A pregnant doe
(b) A young buck
(c) A healthy buck
(d) A deformed fawn
15. What time do the wolves appear with the herd?
(a) Shortly before noon
(b) Just before sunset
(c) A little after dawn
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the three vegetation studies does Farley Mowat decide to undertake?
2. What do the wolves do when they see the caribou bucks?
3. What does Albert try hunting while Mowat watches?
4. What emotion does Mowat feel after he leaves the den?
5. How was the wolf finally killed?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)