|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mowat do after leaving the wolves' den?
(a) He smokes a cigarette
(b) He swims in the river
(c) He picks up a stone
(d) He makes a few notes
2. Why do the pups run for their shelter?
(a) A kestrel screams nearby
(b) A raven passes overhead
(c) Mowat starts making noise
(d) A black bear lumbers by
3. What does Albert try hunting while Mowat watches?
4. What event finally convinces Mowat that Ootek can understand wolf language?
(a) Ootek learns about approaching friends from the wolves
(b) Ootek tells Mowat what time the wolves will return
(c) Ootek tells Mike that the river will be flooding soon
(d) Ootek uses the wolf's information to find caribou
5. Who chases the does and fawns out of the valley?
(c) The pups
6. What is the name of Mike's dog that Mowat uses in his experiment?
7. Why does Mowat go into the wolves' den?
(a) To measure it
(b) To look for George
(c) To collect wolf scats
(d) To hide inside it
8. What time did Ootek say George and Albert would return to the den?
(a) Near dawn
(b) About midday
(c) 12:17 p.m.
(d) At dusk
9. According to Ootek, one wolf patriarch lived to be at least how old?
(a) Forty years
(b) Twenty-five years
(c) Twenty years
(d) Thirty years
10. What was the estimate of wolf population in the Keewatin territory prior to Farley Mowat's study?
11. This chapter takes place during which month?
12. What did Ootek later tell him they were doing?
(a) Trying to hunt caribou
(b) Trying to scare him
(c) Trying to save him
(d) Trying to clothe him
13. Which of the three vegetation studies does Farley Mowat decide to undertake?
14. How did Mowat react when Ootek lost the Raunkaier's Circle?
(a) He scolded Ootek
(b) He started crying
(c) He danced a jig
(d) He fainted dead away
15. In Ootek's story, what happened to a litter of orphaned wolf cubs?
(a) They were adopted by another pair of wolves
(b) They were taken in by Ootek and his dogs
(c) They were sold to a white trapper
(d) They died from starvation after two weeks
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Mowat feel after he leaves the den?
2. Mowat used Uncle Albert in this chapter to observe what aspect of wolf behavior?
3. What parasite does Farley Mowat show to Ootek?
4. Why, according to Mowat, are the wolves taking a holiday?
5. A hunting wolf would mostly likely target which of the following?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)