|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What parasite does Farley Mowat show to Ootek?
(a) A large mosquito
(b) An inactive tapeworm
(c) A sucker fish
(d) An nest of maggots
2. Mowat tells about one hunter killing over a hundred wolves in a single by using what method?
(a) Widespread poison
(b) Several wolf traps
(c) A machine gun
(d) A single rifle
3. Mowat describes the puppies as being roughly the same size and shape as what?
4. A hunting wolf would mostly likely target which of the following?
(a) A pregnant doe
(b) A young buck
(c) A deformed fawn
(d) A healthy buck
5. What study did Mowat take up after losing the Raunkiaer's Circle?
(a) He studied the wolf scats he'd collected
(b) He did a survey on the number of ducks
(c) He found a dead wolf and dissected it
(d) He compared wolf and dog behavior
6. Why did Mowat have to shut his eyes while throwing the Raunkaier's Circle?
(a) To keep himself from becoming too dizzy
(b) To keep himself from being blinded by the sun
(c) To make sure it landed in a random spot
(d) To make sure he didn't see where it landed
7. In Ootek's story, what happened to a litter of orphaned wolf cubs?
(a) They were adopted by another pair of wolves
(b) They died from starvation after two weeks
(c) They were taken in by Ootek and his dogs
(d) They were sold to a white trapper
8. What time do the wolves appear with the herd?
(a) Just before sunset
(b) Shortly before noon
(d) A little after dawn
9. How many caribou is a wolf pack likely to kill on a single hunt?
(a) One or less
(b) As many as possible
(c) Three or four
(d) Two or three
10. Why do the pups run for their shelter?
(a) A raven passes overhead
(b) Mowat starts making noise
(c) A black bear lumbers by
(d) A kestrel screams nearby
11. Mowat used Uncle Albert in this chapter to observe what aspect of wolf behavior?
(a) Hunting behavior
(b) Mating behavior
(c) Long-range travel
(d) Alpha-dog status
12. From what direction does Ootek claim to hear wolf howls?
13. Which governmental agency was asked to search for Farley Mowat?
(a) The Churchill City Council
(b) The Royal Canadian Mounties
(c) The Department of Forestry
(d) The Interior Department
14. How much is the bounty offered for dead wolves, according to Mowat?
(a) From $15 to $25
(b) From $5 to $10
(c) From $10 to $30
(d) From $2 to $5
15. Which wolf seems the most restless?
(a) One of the pups
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the caribou do when Mowat appears?
2. What noise frightens Farley Mowat as he makes his last visit to the wolves' den?
3. What time did Ootek say George and Albert would return to the den?
4. Who chases the does and fawns out of the valley?
5. What does Mowat find inside the wolves' den?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)