|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many caribou had been killed?
2. A hunting wolf would mostly likely target which of the following?
(a) A young buck
(b) A deformed fawn
(c) A pregnant doe
(d) A healthy buck
3. Mowat confesses that he didn't believe Ootek's story until what happens?
(a) Mike insists that the story was true and he was there
(b) He hears a similar story from a white naturalist
(c) Mowat sees the wolves he's observing do the same thing
(d) Ootek takes him on a trip to visit the site of the event
4. According to Mowat, a rabid wolf wandered into what town in 1946?
5. This chapter takes place during which month?
6. What event finally convinces Mowat that Ootek can understand wolf language?
(a) Ootek learns about approaching friends from the wolves
(b) Ootek tells Mike that the river will be flooding soon
(c) Ootek uses the wolf's information to find caribou
(d) Ootek tells Mowat what time the wolves will return
7. What do the wolves do when they see the caribou bucks?
(a) Run away from them
(b) Pass on by
(c) Try to catch them
(d) Kill one of them
8. How does George play a joke on Albert?
(a) He sneaks up and pounces on him
(b) He pretends to catch a mouse
(c) He hides Albert's piece of meat
(d) He howls right in Albert's ear
9. Why does Mowat go into the wolves' den?
(a) To measure it
(b) To look for George
(c) To hide inside it
(d) To collect wolf scats
10. What does Angeline do when she returns to the pups?
(a) She sits down and howls
(b) She cleans them
(c) She plays tag with them
(d) She regurgitates meat
11. According to Ootek, wolf cubs have even been adopted by:
(a) Arctic foxes
(b) Human mothers
(c) Caribou herds
(d) Grizzly bears
12. How many wolf-killed caribou did Farley Mowat examine?
13. What does Mike do when Ootek tells him about the wolves' message?
(a) He sets out traps for the wolves
(b) He packs up for a hunting trip
(c) He closes the cabin door for the night
(d) He ties the dogs close to the cabin
14. How old are female wolves before they start breeding?
(a) Four years
(b) Three years
(c) Fourteen months
(d) Two years
15. Who chases the does and fawns out of the valley?
(b) The pups
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mike, one of the wolves is:
2. Mowat describes the puppies as being roughly the same size and shape as what?
3. What can happen if you ingest nematode worms?
4. What did Ootek later tell him they were doing?
5. In Ootek's story, what happened to a litter of orphaned wolf cubs?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)