|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mowat planned to test his theory by:
(a) Eating only mice, then comparing himself to Mike, who lived on caribou
(b) Eating only mice for a time, then eating fresh fish and canned meat
(c) Preventing the wolves from hunting any prey but mice for several months
(d) Feeding only mice to a dog, while feeding caribou to another dog
2. Young Mowat finds what dying animals on his grandparents' land?
(a) Two turtles
(b) Four crabs
(c) Five frogs
(d) Three catfish
3. Through his binoculars, Mowat sees a moving object that resembles what?
(a) A waving banner
(b) A swaying branch
(c) A flag flying
(d) A feather boa
4. How many pilots were available in Churchill by the time Mowat arrived?
5. His radio message was forwarded to whom?
(a) His bartender
(b) His chief
(c) His pilot
(d) His professor
6. What does Farley Mowat try to feed the wolves?
(b) Raw steaks
(c) Loaves of bread
(d) Cooked steaks
7. How heavy can this subspecies of wolf be?
(a) 107 pounds
(b) 170 pounds
(c) 180 pounds
(d) 140 pounds
8. Who trips the mouse traps?
(c) Farley Mowat
9. The diameter of the wolf paw prints are how large?
(a) Three inches
(b) Six inches
(c) Four inches
(d) Five inches
10. Where does Mowat figure that the female wolf has disappeared to?
(a) Into a den
(b) Across the river
(c) Behind a boulder
(d) Over a hill
11. Mowat's first report on wolves to his department was written while he was:
(a) In a plane
(b) In a snowstorm
(c) Ill with fever
12. Mike's cabin is surrounded by
(a) Large stones
(b) Wolf droppings
(c) Wolf track
(d) Caribou bones
13. What does Mowat do when he hears the wolf howl?
(a) He slides clumsily down the esker
(b) He immediately plays
(c) He gets his shotgun out and cocks it
(d) He runs for the cabin
14. What happens to Mike's cabin in the spring?
(a) It burns down
(b) It floods
(c) It blows away
(d) It collapses
(a) Bat squeaks
(b) Moose calls
(c) Wolf howls
(d) Goose honks
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Mowat given to submit his first progress report?
2. Which direction does Mike go?
3. How many passengers is the aircraft designed to carry?
4. What, according to the Government agencies, was the cause of plunge in caribou populations?
5. Why does the plane have trouble taking off?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)