|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far did the pilot fly to Mowat's base?
(a) 600 miles
(b) 300 miles
(c) 500 miles
(d) 400 miles
2. How many caribou does Mike claim to kill in a good year?
(a) Wolf howls
(b) Goose honks
(c) Bat squeaks
(d) Moose calls
4. What new equipment does Farley Mowat take with to observe the wolves?
(a) A high-powered shotgun
(b) A cassette tape recorder
(c) A high-powered telescope
(d) A waterproof cushion
5. What does the pilot call his plane?
(a) A trusty flyer
(b) A cranky crate
(c) His best friend
(d) An old kite
6. Another source of food for the wolves is:
(a) Chinook Salmon
(b) Northern pike
(c) Ling cod
(d) Rainbow trout
7. How much territory do they cover in a nightly hunt, according to Farley Mowat's estimates?
(a) Forty or fifty miles
(b) Twenty or thirty miles
(c) Ten or twenty miles
(d) Thirty or forty miles
8. According to Ootek, the wolves eat what in addition to mice?
(b) Ground squirrels
(c) Baby seals
(d) Unwary humans
9. What is the pilot's dream?
(a) To discover new territory
(b) To escape from the city
(c) To start his own airline
(d) To forget about war
10. The last view that Mowat has of the wolves in this chapter is:
(a) Two wolves fighting over some meat.
(b) The wolf staring threateningly at him.
(c) A wolf eating the body of a caribou.
(d) A wolf settling down into a nap.
11. What, according to the Government agencies, was the cause of plunge in caribou populations?
(a) Global warming
(c) Arctic Wolves
(d) Human hunters
12. There, Mowat encounters:
(a) A curious wolf cub
(b) Some hungry mice
(c) An old trapper
(d) Some vicious fish
13. What piece of equipment has Mowat forgotten on his walk?
(a) Water bottle
(b) Pocket compass
14. Why does Mowat stay awake so long?
(a) He can't get comfortable living in a small tent.
(b) He's afraid of missing something interesting
(c) He's afraid that he'll be attacked by animals
(d) He's still adjusting to the light in the Arctic
15. Where does Mowat first encounter a wolf?
(a) On an ice floe
(b) In a cave
(c) On a ridge
(d) In the cabin
Short Answer Questions
1. Through his binoculars, Mowat sees a moving object that resembles what?
2. What, according to Ootek's story, was the last animal that Woman pulled out of the hole in the ice?
3. What does Mowat purchase in order to replace his grain alcohol?
4. What does the wolf do?
5. To get to their hunting grounds, what direction must the wolves travel from their den?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)