|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Farley Mowat feel it was necessary to test his theories about wolves eating mice?
(a) Because other wolves might eat other animals
(b) Because he didn't believe the idea himself
(c) Because mouse-lovers might get upset
(d) Because it was such a revolutionary idea
2. Mike lives alone in how many square miles?
3. What makes the cabin smell bad?
(a) Decaying caribou
(b) Dog droppings
4. What does Mowat show to Mike?
(b) Photo supplies
(c) Scientific equipment
(d) Family pictures
5. Mowat planned to test his theory by:
(a) Feeding only mice to a dog, while feeding caribou to another dog
(b) Eating only mice, then comparing himself to Mike, who lived on caribou
(c) Eating only mice for a time, then eating fresh fish and canned meat
(d) Preventing the wolves from hunting any prey but mice for several months
6. What is Mike's age?
7. To get to their hunting grounds, what direction must the wolves travel from their den?
8. Where does Mowat finally see the wolves?
(a) Just outside the wolf den
(b) About twenty feet behind him
(c) Running through a nearby valley
(d) Frolicking in the river
9. The last view that Mowat has of the wolves in this chapter is:
(a) The wolf staring threateningly at him.
(b) Two wolves fighting over some meat.
(c) A wolf eating the body of a caribou.
(d) A wolf settling down into a nap.
10. Mowat includes a recipe in this chapter for what dish?
(a) Barbequed mice with pepper sauce
(b) A baked casserole made from mice
(c) Mouse stew with potatoes and carrots
(d) Fried mice in a cream sauce
11. How many pilots were available in Churchill by the time Mowat arrived?
12. Mike takes Mowat where?
(a) To another valley
(b) To Churchill
(c) To his cabin
(d) To his family
13. The plane flew at what altitude?
(a) 500 feet
(b) 600 feet
(c) 300 feet
(d) 400 feet
14. How heavy can this subspecies of wolf be?
(a) 140 pounds
(b) 180 pounds
(c) 170 pounds
(d) 107 pounds
15. What does Farley Mowat try to feed the wolves?
(a) Cooked steaks
(b) Loaves of bread
(d) Raw steaks
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the pilot wear?
2. What, according to the Government agencies, was the cause of plunge in caribou populations?
3. As a child, Farley Wowat lives in which Canadian city?
4. What is Mowat's first salary?
5. Which direction does Mike go?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)