|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tambu's youngest brother?
2. How are Ma'Shingayi and Lucia related?
3. How long had Lucia been homeless before coming to stay at the homestead?
4. What does Nyasha feel that the family is turning Babamukuru into?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Ma'Shingayi accuses Maiguru of during the family meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
2. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
3. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
4. How does the family react to the news that Babamukuru has found Lucia a job?
5. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
6. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
7. What part about studying makes Nyasha most nervous, and how does she combat those nerves?
8. How are the dresses for Ma'Shingayi's wedding purchased?
9. Why doesn't Nyasha want to attend the missionary school one town over?
10. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tambu's family runs on a strict hierarchy. First, explain the hierarchy within Tambu's extended family -- who is on top? Who is on the bottom? Then explain how the hierarchy is expressed during the opening scenes in the novel, when Babamukuru first returns to the village. Then compare/contrast that to the way the hierarchy is expressed when Tambu returns to the village for the Christmas holidays. What has changed? What has stayed the same?
Essay Topic 2
When the story opens, Tambu admits that she was not sorry when her brother died. First, explain the relationship Tambu had with her older brother, Nhamo. Then explain how Nhamo's death affected Tambu's life and why she might have been pleased to see him die.
Essay Topic 3
Back at the homestead, two interesting characters, Lucia and Takesure, are introduced for one scene only. First, describe Lucia, Takesure, and their relationship. Why do you think Dangarembga chose to introduce these characters so late in the novel? What do these two characters represent to Tambu when she returns to the village for the first time?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)