|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Tambu's attitude as she returns to the homestead?
2. How does Babamukuru react to the dress Nyasha wears for the dance?
3. Who claims that Babamukuru is beating Nyasha because she is a girl?
4. For which holiday does the city host a dance for the school-age children?
5. What happens when students are "screened out"?
Essay Topic 1
Maiguru spends the entire novel babying her husband, Babamukuru. First, give two examples of times when Maiguru treats Babamukuru as a child rather than a man. Then explain the motivations Maiguru has for treating her husband in this way. How does it affect their marital relationship? Finally, explain whether or not you think Maiguru is a good wife to Babamukuru and why.
Essay Topic 2
Tambu experiences many culture shocks when she leaves the village and joins Babamukuru's family in the city. First, create a list of amenities Tambu is unused to in the city, and briefly explain how she copes with these changes. Then explain Tambu's struggle with self-pity. Why does she feel this way about herself after moving to the city?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)