|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following food items turns green when it cannot be refrigerated, but is still served to guests?
2. Which of the following topics does Nyasha frequently discuss in her letters to Tambu?
3. What is the name of Tambu's youngest brother?
4. Which of the following is the same about Ma'Shingayi and Lucia at the time when Tambu comes to visit?
5. How does Tambu react to her first school dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nyaradzo?
2. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
3. How does Lucia rouse Ma'Shingayi from her depression?
4. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
5. What causes Lucia to burst out of the kitchen during the family meeting and attack Takesure?
6. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
7. How does the family react to the news that Babamukuru has found Lucia a job?
8. What happens to Nyasha when she is late to the dinner table on the evening before Tambu leaves for the Sacred Heart?
9. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
10. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Tambu struggles with whether she wants to remember or forget her family in the village. First, give examples of two scenes in which Tambu expresses her struggle with memory. Then describe why it would be beneficial for Tambu to remember her family back home, and why it would be beneficial for her to forget where she came from.
Essay Topic 2
Although many of the characters in the novel are black Africans, there are a few scenes in which the black characters interact with white characters. First, give examples of two scenes in which blacks and whites interact. Then describe the speech patterns of the white characters and compare/contrast that speech to the black characters. Based on their verbal interactions, how do the white characters regard the black characters?
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Tambu has a long discussion with her mother about womanhood, as Tambu's mother believes that being a woman is a burden. First, explain why Tambu's mother believes womanhood to be a burden. Then explain the advice she gives to her daughter about how to be a success in life. Do you see Tambu utilizing or ignoring this advise throughout the novel?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)