|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chido call Nyasha for refusing to back down to Babamukuru's anger?
2. After the wedding, how long is Anna given off so Tambu can complete the household chores?
3. Which of the following characters is the only one allowed in the family meeting regarding Lucia's presence on the homestead?
4. Which of the following characters does NOT accompany Tambu to her new school with the nuns?
5. Where is Tambu's mother lying when the family first arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do nuns from the Sacred Heart arrive at the mission school?
2. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
3. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
4. How are the dresses for Ma'Shingayi's wedding purchased?
5. How does the family react to the news that Babamukuru has found Lucia a job?
6. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
7. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
8. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
9. Why doesn't Nyasha want to attend the missionary school one town over?
10. What happens to Nyasha when she is late to the dinner table on the evening before Tambu leaves for the Sacred Heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Back at the homestead, two interesting characters, Lucia and Takesure, are introduced for one scene only. First, describe Lucia, Takesure, and their relationship. Why do you think Dangarembga chose to introduce these characters so late in the novel? What do these two characters represent to Tambu when she returns to the village for the first time?
Essay Topic 2
Although many of the characters in the novel are black Africans, there are a few scenes in which the black characters interact with white characters. First, give examples of two scenes in which blacks and whites interact. Then describe the speech patterns of the white characters and compare/contrast that speech to the black characters. Based on their verbal interactions, how do the white characters regard the black characters?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Nyasha is struggling with an eating disorder. First, explain how this disorder affects life within her household. Then explain why Dangarembga might have chosen this particular disease for Nyasha to struggle with. What might this disease symbolize in Nyasha's life?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)