|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Ma'Shingayi and Lucia related?
2. What does Nyasha feel that the family is turning Babamukuru into?
3. How many scholarships do the nuns offer to the students at the missionary school?
4. Where is Tambu's mother lying when the family first arrives?
5. Which of the following characters is the only one allowed in the family meeting regarding Lucia's presence on the homestead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
2. What is the reaction from Babamukuru's family when Tambu wins a scholarship to the Sacred Heart?
3. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
4. What causes Lucia to burst out of the kitchen during the family meeting and attack Takesure?
5. Who is Nyaradzo?
6. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
7. How does Tambu react when Lucia announces that she is leaving the homestead for good?
8. Why do nuns from the Sacred Heart arrive at the mission school?
9. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
10. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The older female characters have many different responsibilities. First, create a list of older female characters in the text and briefly describe each of their roles within the family. What is the attitude of the older women toward their responsibilities in the family? How do their attitudes compare/contrast to the attitudes of the younger girls?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru announces that Jeremiah and Mainini will have a church wedding. First, explain why this wedding was so important to Babamukuru that he would offer to pay for the whole thing. What traditional customs does this wedding represent? Then explain Tambu's reaction to the forced marriage. How does this wedding change her views of her family?
Essay Topic 3
Maiguru spends the entire novel babying her husband, Babamukuru. First, give two examples of times when Maiguru treats Babamukuru as a child rather than a man. Then explain the motivations Maiguru has for treating her husband in this way. How does it affect their marital relationship? Finally, explain whether or not you think Maiguru is a good wife to Babamukuru and why.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)