|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Lucia been homeless before coming to stay at the homestead?
2. Who is put in charge of purchasing material for the dresses to be used in Jeremiah and Ma'Shingayi's wedding?
3. With which of the following disorders does Nyasha struggle?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Ma'Shingayi accuses Maiguru of during the family meeting?
5. Which of the following characters does NOT fall to their knees in gratitude to Babamukuru?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
2. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
3. What happens to Nyasha when she is late to the dinner table on the evening before Tambu leaves for the Sacred Heart?
4. Who is Nyaradzo?
5. After Nyasha collapses and is brought to the doctor, what is her diagnosis?
6. Why do nuns from the Sacred Heart arrive at the mission school?
7. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
8. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
9. Why doesn't Nyasha want to attend the missionary school one town over?
10. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Nyasha is struggling with an eating disorder. First, explain how this disorder affects life within her household. Then explain why Dangarembga might have chosen this particular disease for Nyasha to struggle with. What might this disease symbolize in Nyasha's life?
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of the first semester, Nyasha becomes increasingly obsessed with her schooling and final exams. How does Nyasha display her nervousness about the end of term? How does this nervousness compare/contrast with Tambu's nervousness? What is suddenly motivating Nyasha to succeed, and what does she fear if she fails?
Essay Topic 3
Jeremiah, Tambu's father, is an interesting male character. First, physically describe Jeremiah and compare/contrast his physicality to his brother, Babamukuru. Then explain how Jeremiah makes a living in the village and why he is so dependent on his brother.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)