Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Tambu's attitude as she returns to the homestead?
2. How does Babamukuru react to the dress Nyasha wears for the dance?
3. Who claims that Babamukuru is beating Nyasha because she is a girl?
4. For which holiday does the city host a dance for the school-age children?
5. What happens when students are "screened out"?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Tambu is concerned with progress and hopes to find "liberation" at the Sacred Heart school. What does Tambu hope to be "liberated" from? How does this compare/contrast to the way Nyasha feels they will be "trapped"? By the end of the story, how has Tambu's attitude toward liberation and "white progress" changed?
Essay Topic 2
At the start of the story, Dangarembga writes that this will be a story of "entrapment, escape, and rebellion." Do you agree with this assessment of the story? Why or why not? Give two examples of scenes that support Dangarembga's claim. Then give two examples of scenes that counteract this claim.
Essay Topic 3
"Nervous Conditions" is the title of this novel. First, explain if you think it is a fitting title. Why or why not? Then, list at least three characters who exhibit nervous conditions throughout the novel. How does their nervousness manifest? How do their conditions affect their lives?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)