|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the holidays, how long will Tambu and Nyasha be separated before the beginning of the next school year?
2. When Ma'Shingayi gives birth, what does she have?
3. Which of the following characters begs Babamukuru to spare Nyasha and kill them instead?
4. With which of the following disorders does Nyasha struggle?
5. How does Tambu react to her first school dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
2. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
3. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
4. What does Nyaradzo believe to be special about her brothers?
5. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
6. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
7. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
8. What causes Lucia to burst out of the kitchen during the family meeting and attack Takesure?
9. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
10. During the family meeting, what does Lucia say about Jeremiah and his relationship with Ma'Shingayi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tambu's family runs on a strict hierarchy. First, explain the hierarchy within Tambu's extended family -- who is on top? Who is on the bottom? Then explain how the hierarchy is expressed during the opening scenes in the novel, when Babamukuru first returns to the village. Then compare/contrast that to the way the hierarchy is expressed when Tambu returns to the village for the Christmas holidays. What has changed? What has stayed the same?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Nyasha is struggling with an eating disorder. First, explain how this disorder affects life within her household. Then explain why Dangarembga might have chosen this particular disease for Nyasha to struggle with. What might this disease symbolize in Nyasha's life?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the first semester, Nyasha becomes increasingly obsessed with her schooling and final exams. How does Nyasha display her nervousness about the end of term? How does this nervousness compare/contrast with Tambu's nervousness? What is suddenly motivating Nyasha to succeed, and what does she fear if she fails?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)