|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tambu's youngest brother?
2. Who forbids Nyasha from coming to visit Tambu at school?
3. Why is Nyasha favored within the school system?
4. How many scholarships do the nuns offer to the students at the missionary school?
5. How are Ma'Shingayi and Lucia related?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family react to the news that Babamukuru has found Lucia a job?
2. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
3. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
4. What happens to Nyasha when she is late to the dinner table on the evening before Tambu leaves for the Sacred Heart?
5. How does Tambu feel when Babamukuru returns to the city, leaving her alone with her pregnant mother?
6. Why doesn't Nyasha want to attend the missionary school one town over?
7. What part about studying makes Nyasha most nervous, and how does she combat those nerves?
8. What does Nyaradzo believe to be special about her brothers?
9. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
10. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Back at the homestead, two interesting characters, Lucia and Takesure, are introduced for one scene only. First, describe Lucia, Takesure, and their relationship. Why do you think Dangarembga chose to introduce these characters so late in the novel? What do these two characters represent to Tambu when she returns to the village for the first time?
Essay Topic 2
Although many of the characters in the novel are black Africans, there are a few scenes in which the black characters interact with white characters. First, give examples of two scenes in which blacks and whites interact. Then describe the speech patterns of the white characters and compare/contrast that speech to the black characters. Based on their verbal interactions, how do the white characters regard the black characters?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the first semester, Nyasha becomes increasingly obsessed with her schooling and final exams. How does Nyasha display her nervousness about the end of term? How does this nervousness compare/contrast with Tambu's nervousness? What is suddenly motivating Nyasha to succeed, and what does she fear if she fails?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)