|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chido call Nyasha for refusing to back down to Babamukuru's anger?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT fall to their knees in gratitude to Babamukuru?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT speak to Babamukuru about Tambu's punishment?
4. What surprises Tambu about the latrine at the homestead?
5. Which of the following women is the eldest in Tambu's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nyaradzo?
2. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
3. How are the dresses for Ma'Shingayi's wedding purchased?
4. How does Babamukuru feel about Lucia's presence on the homestead?
5. After Nyasha collapses and is brought to the doctor, what is her diagnosis?
6. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
7. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
8. Why do nuns from the Sacred Heart arrive at the mission school?
9. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
10. How does Tambu react when Lucia announces that she is leaving the homestead for good?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru announces that Jeremiah and Mainini will have a church wedding. First, explain why this wedding was so important to Babamukuru that he would offer to pay for the whole thing. What traditional customs does this wedding represent? Then explain Tambu's reaction to the forced marriage. How does this wedding change her views of her family?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Tambu has a long discussion with her mother about womanhood, as Tambu's mother believes that being a woman is a burden. First, explain why Tambu's mother believes womanhood to be a burden. Then explain the advice she gives to her daughter about how to be a success in life. Do you see Tambu utilizing or ignoring this advise throughout the novel?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)