|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tambu travel to the nun's school?
2. How many people arrive at the homestead to celebrate Babamukuru's arrival?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT speak to Babamukuru about Tambu's punishment?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Lucia is accused of while staying at the homestead?
5. Who claims that Babamukuru is beating Nyasha because she is a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
2. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
3. How does Tambu feel when Babamukuru returns to the city, leaving her alone with her pregnant mother?
4. After Nyasha collapses and is brought to the doctor, what is her diagnosis?
5. What happens to Nyasha when she is late to the dinner table on the evening before Tambu leaves for the Sacred Heart?
6. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
7. How does Babamukuru feel about Lucia's presence on the homestead?
8. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
9. What does Nyaradzo believe to be special about her brothers?
10. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The male characters in the novel all have similar reactions to the role of women in their homes. First, create a list of male characters in the novel and briefly explain each of their attitudes toward women in the home. Then explain some of the special, sometimes burdensome, responsibilities of successful men in the family.
Essay Topic 2
At the start of the story, Dangarembga writes that this will be a story of "entrapment, escape, and rebellion." Do you agree with this assessment of the story? Why or why not? Give two examples of scenes that support Dangarembga's claim. Then give two examples of scenes that counteract this claim.
Essay Topic 3
Tambu experiences many culture shocks when she leaves the village and joins Babamukuru's family in the city. First, create a list of amenities Tambu is unused to in the city, and briefly explain how she copes with these changes. Then explain Tambu's struggle with self-pity. Why does she feel this way about herself after moving to the city?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)