|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Babamukuru's only expense at Tambu's new school?
2. Which of the following women is the eldest in Tambu's family?
3. What does Lucia threaten to do to Ma'Shingayi's baby if she doesn't get out of bed?
4. During what month of the year does Tambu return home to the village for the first time?
5. With which of the following disorders does Nyasha struggle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
2. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
3. What happens to Nyasha when she is late to the dinner table on the evening before Tambu leaves for the Sacred Heart?
4. What part about studying makes Nyasha most nervous, and how does she combat those nerves?
5. During the family meeting, what does Lucia say about Jeremiah and his relationship with Ma'Shingayi?
6. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
7. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
8. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
9. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
10. What is the reaction from Babamukuru's family when Tambu wins a scholarship to the Sacred Heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tambu experiences many culture shocks when she leaves the village and joins Babamukuru's family in the city. First, create a list of amenities Tambu is unused to in the city, and briefly explain how she copes with these changes. Then explain Tambu's struggle with self-pity. Why does she feel this way about herself after moving to the city?
Essay Topic 2
When the story opens, Tambu admits that she was not sorry when her brother died. First, explain the relationship Tambu had with her older brother, Nhamo. Then explain how Nhamo's death affected Tambu's life and why she might have been pleased to see him die.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Tambu struggles with whether she wants to remember or forget her family in the village. First, give examples of two scenes in which Tambu expresses her struggle with memory. Then describe why it would be beneficial for Tambu to remember her family back home, and why it would be beneficial for her to forget where she came from.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)