|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a topic Tambu's family discusses during their family meeting?
2. Where is Tambu's father when the she arrives to visit?
3. What does Chido call Nyasha for refusing to back down to Babamukuru's anger?
4. With which of the following disorders does Nyasha struggle?
5. Who curls up next to Nyasha on the night of the fight, sleeping with their arms wrapped around her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nyaradzo?
2. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
3. What does Nyaradzo believe to be special about her brothers?
4. How does Babamukuru feel about Lucia's presence on the homestead?
5. What causes Lucia to burst out of the kitchen during the family meeting and attack Takesure?
6. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
7. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
8. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
9. How does Tambu react when Lucia announces that she is leaving the homestead for good?
10. What is the reaction from Babamukuru's family when Tambu wins a scholarship to the Sacred Heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tambu experiences many culture shocks when she leaves the village and joins Babamukuru's family in the city. First, create a list of amenities Tambu is unused to in the city, and briefly explain how she copes with these changes. Then explain Tambu's struggle with self-pity. Why does she feel this way about herself after moving to the city?
Essay Topic 2
The older female characters have many different responsibilities. First, create a list of older female characters in the text and briefly describe each of their roles within the family. What is the attitude of the older women toward their responsibilities in the family? How do their attitudes compare/contrast to the attitudes of the younger girls?
Essay Topic 3
Back at the homestead, two interesting characters, Lucia and Takesure, are introduced for one scene only. First, describe Lucia, Takesure, and their relationship. Why do you think Dangarembga chose to introduce these characters so late in the novel? What do these two characters represent to Tambu when she returns to the village for the first time?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)