|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tambu's father when the she arrives to visit?
2. How does Lucia feel about her new job?
3. What is the name of the man Lucia arrived at the homestead with?
4. What part of Nyasha's recent behavior at exam times worries Maiguru?
5. Which of the following is NOT a chore Tambu is expected to complete while visiting her family at the homestead?
Essay Topic 1
When the story opens, Tambu admits that she was not sorry when her brother died. First, explain the relationship Tambu had with her older brother, Nhamo. Then explain how Nhamo's death affected Tambu's life and why she might have been pleased to see him die.
Essay Topic 2
Tambu's family runs on a strict hierarchy. First, explain the hierarchy within Tambu's extended family -- who is on top? Who is on the bottom? Then explain how the hierarchy is expressed during the opening scenes in the novel, when Babamukuru first returns to the village. Then compare/contrast that to the way the hierarchy is expressed when Tambu returns to the village for the Christmas holidays. What has changed? What has stayed the same?
Essay Topic 3
Jeremiah, Tambu's father, is an interesting male character. First, physically describe Jeremiah and compare/contrast his physicality to his brother, Babamukuru. Then explain how Jeremiah makes a living in the village and why he is so dependent on his brother.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)