|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs back to Babamukuru to tell him that Nyasha is alone with a boy?
2. How does Babamukuru react to his daughter's end-of-term exam scores?
3. Where is Tambu's mother lying when the family first arrives?
4. While Nyasha is at the hospital, where is Tambu sent?
5. Which of the following is the same about Ma'Shingayi and Lucia at the time when Tambu comes to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucia rouse Ma'Shingayi from her depression?
2. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
3. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
4. What does Nyaradzo believe to be special about her brothers?
5. During the family meeting, what does Lucia say about Jeremiah and his relationship with Ma'Shingayi?
6. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
7. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
8. What happens to Nyasha when she is late to the dinner table on the evening before Tambu leaves for the Sacred Heart?
9. What part about studying makes Nyasha most nervous, and how does she combat those nerves?
10. Who is Nyaradzo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every time Babamukuru arrives to the village, there is much uproar. First, explain the traditions villagers have in welcoming Babamukuru to their homes. Then explain why Babamukuru is treated so royally. Finally, explain Tambu's reaction to the fanfare welcoming Babamukuru to the home. How does this reaction change as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Back at the homestead, two interesting characters, Lucia and Takesure, are introduced for one scene only. First, describe Lucia, Takesure, and their relationship. Why do you think Dangarembga chose to introduce these characters so late in the novel? What do these two characters represent to Tambu when she returns to the village for the first time?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru announces that Jeremiah and Mainini will have a church wedding. First, explain why this wedding was so important to Babamukuru that he would offer to pay for the whole thing. What traditional customs does this wedding represent? Then explain Tambu's reaction to the forced marriage. How does this wedding change her views of her family?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)