|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tambu react to her first school dance?
2. Which of the following characters begs Babamukuru to spare Nyasha and kill them instead?
3. On what type of bed does Tambu's mother sleep?
4. Which of the following characters does NOT accompany Tambu to her new school with the nuns?
5. What does Lucia threaten to do to Ma'Shingayi's baby if she doesn't get out of bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part about studying makes Nyasha most nervous, and how does she combat those nerves?
2. What causes Lucia to burst out of the kitchen during the family meeting and attack Takesure?
3. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
4. How does Lucia rouse Ma'Shingayi from her depression?
5. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
6. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
7. After Nyasha collapses and is brought to the doctor, what is her diagnosis?
8. What happens to Nyasha when she is late to the dinner table on the evening before Tambu leaves for the Sacred Heart?
9. Who is Nyaradzo?
10. How does Tambu react when Lucia announces that she is leaving the homestead for good?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tambu has spent her entire life fighting to be able to attend school. First, explain why Tambu was taken out of school in the first place. Then explain how Tambu used seeds to put herself through school and how her brother attempted to sabotage her plans. Finally, explain why Nhamo would have wanted Tambu to fail in her education.
Essay Topic 2
Jeremiah, Tambu's father, is an interesting male character. First, physically describe Jeremiah and compare/contrast his physicality to his brother, Babamukuru. Then explain how Jeremiah makes a living in the village and why he is so dependent on his brother.
Essay Topic 3
The male characters in the novel all have similar reactions to the role of women in their homes. First, create a list of male characters in the novel and briefly explain each of their attitudes toward women in the home. Then explain some of the special, sometimes burdensome, responsibilities of successful men in the family.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)