Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Tambu's attitude as she returns to the homestead?
2. How does Babamukuru react to the dress Nyasha wears for the dance?
3. Who claims that Babamukuru is beating Nyasha because she is a girl?
4. For which holiday does the city host a dance for the school-age children?
5. What happens when students are "screened out"?
At the start of the story, Dangarembga writes that this will be a story of "entrapment, escape, and rebellion." Do you agree with this assessment of the story? Why or why not? Give two examples of scenes that support Dangarembga's claim. Then give two examples of scenes that counteract this claim.
At the opening of the novel, Tambu has a long discussion with her mother about womanhood, as Tambu's mother believes that being a woman is a burden. First, explain why Tambu's mother believes womanhood to be a burden. Then explain the advice she gives to her daughter about how to be a success in life. Do you see Tambu utilizing or ignoring this advise throughout the novel?
Although many of the characters in the novel are black Africans, there are a few scenes in which the black characters interact with white characters. First, give examples of two scenes in which blacks and whites interact. Then describe the speech patterns of the white characters and compare/contrast that speech to the black characters. Based on their verbal interactions, how do the white characters regard the black characters?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)