|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Babamukuru compliment for the work done on the homestead while he was away?
2. After the holidays, how long will Tambu and Nyasha be separated before the beginning of the next school year?
3. How does Babamukuru feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
4. Who is put in charge of overseeing the food during the duration of the trip home?
5. After the wedding, how long is Anna given off so Tambu can complete the household chores?
Essay Topic 1
Every time Babamukuru arrives to the village, there is much uproar. First, explain the traditions villagers have in welcoming Babamukuru to their homes. Then explain why Babamukuru is treated so royally. Finally, explain Tambu's reaction to the fanfare welcoming Babamukuru to the home. How does this reaction change as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Maiguru spends the entire novel babying her husband, Babamukuru. First, give two examples of times when Maiguru treats Babamukuru as a child rather than a man. Then explain the motivations Maiguru has for treating her husband in this way. How does it affect their marital relationship? Finally, explain whether or not you think Maiguru is a good wife to Babamukuru and why.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Nyasha is struggling with an eating disorder. First, explain how this disorder affects life within her household. Then explain why Dangarembga might have chosen this particular disease for Nyasha to struggle with. What might this disease symbolize in Nyasha's life?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)