|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people arrive at the homestead to celebrate Babamukuru's arrival?
2. Which of the children in the novel has arrangements made to be sent to the missionary school one town over?
3. Who forbids Nyasha from coming to visit Tambu at school?
4. What does Lucia threaten to do to Ma'Shingayi's baby if she doesn't get out of bed?
5. Which of the following characters stays behind after the holidays to care for Ma'Shingayi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
2. After Nyasha collapses and is brought to the doctor, what is her diagnosis?
3. How does Tambu feel when Babamukuru returns to the city, leaving her alone with her pregnant mother?
4. Why do nuns from the Sacred Heart arrive at the mission school?
5. How does Lucia rouse Ma'Shingayi from her depression?
6. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
7. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
8. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
9. How does Tambu react when Lucia announces that she is leaving the homestead for good?
10. Who is Nyaradzo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although many of the characters in the novel are black Africans, there are a few scenes in which the black characters interact with white characters. First, give examples of two scenes in which blacks and whites interact. Then describe the speech patterns of the white characters and compare/contrast that speech to the black characters. Based on their verbal interactions, how do the white characters regard the black characters?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru announces that Jeremiah and Mainini will have a church wedding. First, explain why this wedding was so important to Babamukuru that he would offer to pay for the whole thing. What traditional customs does this wedding represent? Then explain Tambu's reaction to the forced marriage. How does this wedding change her views of her family?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Tambu struggles with whether she wants to remember or forget her family in the village. First, give examples of two scenes in which Tambu expresses her struggle with memory. Then describe why it would be beneficial for Tambu to remember her family back home, and why it would be beneficial for her to forget where she came from.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)