|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Lucia is accused of while staying at the homestead?
2. How does Tambu's father, Jeremiah, feel about Tambu winning a scholarship?
3. How are Ma'Shingayi and Lucia related?
4. Which of the following students scores the highest on the end-of-term exams?
5. How does Tambu feel about Lucia's outburst in the family meeting, at which she promises to leave the homestead, taking Ma'Shingayi with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the dresses for Ma'Shingayi's wedding purchased?
2. How does Tambu feel when Babamukuru returns to the city, leaving her alone with her pregnant mother?
3. After Nyasha collapses and is brought to the doctor, what is her diagnosis?
4. How does Lucia rouse Ma'Shingayi from her depression?
5. During the family meeting, what does Lucia say about Jeremiah and his relationship with Ma'Shingayi?
6. What happens to Nyasha when she is late to the dinner table on the evening before Tambu leaves for the Sacred Heart?
7. How does Babamukuru feel about Lucia's presence on the homestead?
8. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
9. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
10. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru announces that Jeremiah and Mainini will have a church wedding. First, explain why this wedding was so important to Babamukuru that he would offer to pay for the whole thing. What traditional customs does this wedding represent? Then explain Tambu's reaction to the forced marriage. How does this wedding change her views of her family?
Essay Topic 2
"Nervous Conditions" is the title of this novel. First, explain if you think it is a fitting title. Why or why not? Then, list at least three characters who exhibit nervous conditions throughout the novel. How does their nervousness manifest? How do their conditions affect their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Jeremiah, Tambu's father, is an interesting male character. First, physically describe Jeremiah and compare/contrast his physicality to his brother, Babamukuru. Then explain how Jeremiah makes a living in the village and why he is so dependent on his brother.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)