|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who forbids Nyasha from coming to visit Tambu at school?
2. Which of the following characters is the only one allowed in the family meeting regarding Lucia's presence on the homestead?
3. How many girls have been hired by Babamukuru to help with the cooking and other chores?
4. Who curls up next to Nyasha on the night of the fight, sleeping with their arms wrapped around her?
5. What aspect of the nuns makes Tambu's family nervous?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family react to the news that Babamukuru has found Lucia a job?
2. Why doesn't Nyasha want to attend the missionary school one town over?
3. What does Nyaradzo believe to be special about her brothers?
4. Why do nuns from the Sacred Heart arrive at the mission school?
5. What is the reaction from Babamukuru's family when Tambu wins a scholarship to the Sacred Heart?
6. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
7. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
8. How does Tambu react when Lucia announces that she is leaving the homestead for good?
9. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
10. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Tambu struggles with whether she wants to remember or forget her family in the village. First, give examples of two scenes in which Tambu expresses her struggle with memory. Then describe why it would be beneficial for Tambu to remember her family back home, and why it would be beneficial for her to forget where she came from.
Essay Topic 3
Tambu has spent her entire life fighting to be able to attend school. First, explain why Tambu was taken out of school in the first place. Then explain how Tambu used seeds to put herself through school and how her brother attempted to sabotage her plans. Finally, explain why Nhamo would have wanted Tambu to fail in her education.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)