|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs back to Babamukuru to tell him that Nyasha is alone with a boy?
2. After the holidays, how long will Tambu and Nyasha be separated before the beginning of the next school year?
3. How does Tambu's father, Jeremiah, feel about Tambu winning a scholarship?
4. What is the name of the man Lucia arrived at the homestead with?
5. Where is Tambu's father when the she arrives to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
2. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
3. What is the reaction from Babamukuru's family when Tambu wins a scholarship to the Sacred Heart?
4. During the family meeting, what does Lucia say about Jeremiah and his relationship with Ma'Shingayi?
5. How are the dresses for Ma'Shingayi's wedding purchased?
6. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
7. What causes Lucia to burst out of the kitchen during the family meeting and attack Takesure?
8. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
9. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
10. Why do nuns from the Sacred Heart arrive at the mission school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru announces that Jeremiah and Mainini will have a church wedding. First, explain why this wedding was so important to Babamukuru that he would offer to pay for the whole thing. What traditional customs does this wedding represent? Then explain Tambu's reaction to the forced marriage. How does this wedding change her views of her family?
Essay Topic 2
Every time Babamukuru arrives to the village, there is much uproar. First, explain the traditions villagers have in welcoming Babamukuru to their homes. Then explain why Babamukuru is treated so royally. Finally, explain Tambu's reaction to the fanfare welcoming Babamukuru to the home. How does this reaction change as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
The male characters in the novel all have similar reactions to the role of women in their homes. First, create a list of male characters in the novel and briefly explain each of their attitudes toward women in the home. Then explain some of the special, sometimes burdensome, responsibilities of successful men in the family.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)