|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of the nuns makes Tambu's family nervous?
2. Who makes the final decision to kick Lucia off the homestead?
3. With which of the following disorders does Nyasha struggle?
4. Who claims that Babamukuru is beating Nyasha because she is a girl?
5. During what month of the year does Tambu return home to the village for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nyaradzo?
2. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
3. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
4. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
5. Why doesn't Nyasha want to attend the missionary school one town over?
6. How are the dresses for Ma'Shingayi's wedding purchased?
7. How does Tambu feel when Babamukuru returns to the city, leaving her alone with her pregnant mother?
8. During the family meeting, what does Lucia say about Jeremiah and his relationship with Ma'Shingayi?
9. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
10. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although many of the characters in the novel are black Africans, there are a few scenes in which the black characters interact with white characters. First, give examples of two scenes in which blacks and whites interact. Then describe the speech patterns of the white characters and compare/contrast that speech to the black characters. Based on their verbal interactions, how do the white characters regard the black characters?
Essay Topic 2
The male characters in the novel all have similar reactions to the role of women in their homes. First, create a list of male characters in the novel and briefly explain each of their attitudes toward women in the home. Then explain some of the special, sometimes burdensome, responsibilities of successful men in the family.
Essay Topic 3
Back at the homestead, two interesting characters, Lucia and Takesure, are introduced for one scene only. First, describe Lucia, Takesure, and their relationship. Why do you think Dangarembga chose to introduce these characters so late in the novel? What do these two characters represent to Tambu when she returns to the village for the first time?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)