|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ma'Shingayi gives birth, what does she have?
2. Which of the children in the novel has arrangements made to be sent to the missionary school one town over?
3. How long does Nyasha sleep when she's getting a good night's sleep?
4. Which of the following is the same about Ma'Shingayi and Lucia at the time when Tambu comes to visit?
5. What is the first doctor Nyasha's parents take her to see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tambu has spent her entire life fighting to be able to attend school. First, explain why Tambu was taken out of school in the first place. Then explain how Tambu used seeds to put herself through school and how her brother attempted to sabotage her plans. Finally, explain why Nhamo would have wanted Tambu to fail in her education.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
Essay Topic 3
At the start of the story, Dangarembga writes that this will be a story of "entrapment, escape, and rebellion." Do you agree with this assessment of the story? Why or why not? Give two examples of scenes that support Dangarembga's claim. Then give two examples of scenes that counteract this claim.
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)