|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Ma'Shingayi and Lucia related?
2. How many people arrive at the homestead to celebrate Babamukuru's arrival?
3. What does Babamukuru give to Jeremiah as a wedding gift?
4. Which of the following characters does NOT accompany Tambu to her new school with the nuns?
5. Which of the following is NOT a topic Tambu's family discusses during their family meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tambu feel when Babamukuru returns to the city, leaving her alone with her pregnant mother?
2. How does the family react to the news that Babamukuru has found Lucia a job?
3. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
4. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
5. Who is Nyaradzo?
6. How does Tambu react when Lucia announces that she is leaving the homestead for good?
7. How does Babamukuru propose to deal with the evil that has been following his family?
8. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
9. Why doesn't Nyasha want to attend the missionary school one town over?
10. What is Tambu's punishment for refusing to attend her parents' wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Tambu has a long discussion with her mother about womanhood, as Tambu's mother believes that being a woman is a burden. First, explain why Tambu's mother believes womanhood to be a burden. Then explain the advice she gives to her daughter about how to be a success in life. Do you see Tambu utilizing or ignoring this advise throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Maiguru spends the entire novel babying her husband, Babamukuru. First, give two examples of times when Maiguru treats Babamukuru as a child rather than a man. Then explain the motivations Maiguru has for treating her husband in this way. How does it affect their marital relationship? Finally, explain whether or not you think Maiguru is a good wife to Babamukuru and why.
Essay Topic 3
Tambu experiences many culture shocks when she leaves the village and joins Babamukuru's family in the city. First, create a list of amenities Tambu is unused to in the city, and briefly explain how she copes with these changes. Then explain Tambu's struggle with self-pity. Why does she feel this way about herself after moving to the city?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)