|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT object to Tambu accepting a scholarship from the nuns?
2. Which of the following is NOT a reason Lucia gives as to why she must stay on the homestead?
3. After the holidays, how long will Tambu and Nyasha be separated before the beginning of the next school year?
4. While Nyasha is at the hospital, where is Tambu sent?
5. How does Tambu feel about her parents' wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The male characters in the novel all have similar reactions to the role of women in their homes. First, create a list of male characters in the novel and briefly explain each of their attitudes toward women in the home. Then explain some of the special, sometimes burdensome, responsibilities of successful men in the family.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Tambu struggles with whether she wants to remember or forget her family in the village. First, give examples of two scenes in which Tambu expresses her struggle with memory. Then describe why it would be beneficial for Tambu to remember her family back home, and why it would be beneficial for her to forget where she came from.
Essay Topic 3
The older female characters have many different responsibilities. First, create a list of older female characters in the text and briefly describe each of their roles within the family. What is the attitude of the older women toward their responsibilities in the family? How do their attitudes compare/contrast to the attitudes of the younger girls?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)