|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task is Tambu asked to do for the visiting relatives?
2. What is the age difference between Nhamo and Tambu?
3. Which of the following is Babamukuru's nickname within the village?
4. How does Nhamo perform in school?
5. During which month of the year does Nhamo return to his village from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
2. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
3. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
4. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
5. How does Tambu handle washing the hands of her relatives?
6. Who is Nyaradzo?
7. How does Babamukuru propose to deal with the evil that has been following his family?
8. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
9. How does Tambu react to her sleeping arrangements at Babamukuru's house?
10. How does Tambu feel about the tea Maiguru serves at her home?
Essay Topic 1
When the story opens, Tambu admits that she was not sorry when her brother died. First, explain the relationship Tambu had with her older brother, Nhamo. Then explain how Nhamo's death affected Tambu's life and why she might have been pleased to see him die.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
Essay Topic 3
Maiguru spends the entire novel babying her husband, Babamukuru. First, give two examples of times when Maiguru treats Babamukuru as a child rather than a man. Then explain the motivations Maiguru has for treating her husband in this way. How does it affect their marital relationship? Finally, explain whether or not you think Maiguru is a good wife to Babamukuru and why.
This section contains 2,049 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)