Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task is Tambu asked to do for the visiting relatives?
2. What is the age difference between Nhamo and Tambu?
3. Which of the following is Babamukuru's nickname within the village?
4. How does Nhamo perform in school?
5. During which month of the year does Nhamo return to his village from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
2. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
3. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
4. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
5. How does Tambu handle washing the hands of her relatives?
6. Who is Nyaradzo?
7. How does Babamukuru propose to deal with the evil that has been following his family?
8. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
9. How does Tambu react to her sleeping arrangements at Babamukuru's house?
10. How does Tambu feel about the tea Maiguru serves at her home?
Essay Topic 1
"Nervous Conditions" is the title of this novel. First, explain if you think it is a fitting title. Why or why not? Then, list at least three characters who exhibit nervous conditions throughout the novel. How does their nervousness manifest? How do their conditions affect their lives?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru announces that Jeremiah and Mainini will have a church wedding. First, explain why this wedding was so important to Babamukuru that he would offer to pay for the whole thing. What traditional customs does this wedding represent? Then explain Tambu's reaction to the forced marriage. How does this wedding change her views of her family?
Essay Topic 3
Tambu has spent her entire life fighting to be able to attend school. First, explain why Tambu was taken out of school in the first place. Then explain how Tambu used seeds to put herself through school and how her brother attempted to sabotage her plans. Finally, explain why Nhamo would have wanted Tambu to fail in her education.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)