|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are segregated at the swimming holes around Tambu's home?
2. How does Tambu feel about Babamukuru's wife?
3. Which of the following statements is NOT true of Nyasha?
4. Which of the following bits of advice is NOT given to Tambu during her formal welcoming speech?
5. How does Tambu feel when she enters her uncle's house for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuses does Maiguru make about Nyasha's poor attitude and rude behavior?
2. How does Nyasha feel about the time she and her brother spent in England?
3. How does Nhamo die?
4. How does Tambu describe the swimming holes near her home?
5. Why are the young men at Babamukuru's dinner party unhappy?
6. How does Nyasha react to the fact that she cannot find her D.H. Lawrence book?
7. How does Tambu feel about Maiguru and her relationship to education?
8. What do the village children eat at the dinner party honoring Babamukuru?
9. What does Babamukuru say in his formal speech welcoming Tambu to the family?
10. How does Babamukuru view the future of the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tambu experiences many culture shocks when she leaves the village and joins Babamukuru's family in the city. First, create a list of amenities Tambu is unused to in the city, and briefly explain how she copes with these changes. Then explain Tambu's struggle with self-pity. Why does she feel this way about herself after moving to the city?
Essay Topic 2
When the story opens, Tambu admits that she was not sorry when her brother died. First, explain the relationship Tambu had with her older brother, Nhamo. Then explain how Nhamo's death affected Tambu's life and why she might have been pleased to see him die.
Essay Topic 3
The older female characters have many different responsibilities. First, create a list of older female characters in the text and briefly describe each of their roles within the family. What is the attitude of the older women toward their responsibilities in the family? How do their attitudes compare/contrast to the attitudes of the younger girls?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)