|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tambu feel about Babamukuru's wife?
2. During which month of the year does Nhamo return to his village from school?
3. Which of the following forces Nyasha and Tambu to burst out laughing and have their first conversation?
4. What does Tambu's father believe she should study to become?
5. What has Babamukuru taken away from Nyasha, causing an uproar at the dinner table?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Babamukuru treated by the village when he returns?
2. What hopes does Tambu have for her relationship with Nyasha once she arrives at Babamukuru's home?
3. How does Tambu react to Babamukuru's arrival in the village?
4. How does Tambu feel about the food served to her and the cutlery she is forced to use at the table?
5. How does Tambu feel about Maiguru and her relationship to education?
6. How is the ice between Tambu and Nyasha finally broken, and what do they discuss during their first conversation?
7. How does Tambu react to her discovery in the cornfield?
8. Why are the young men at Babamukuru's dinner party unhappy?
9. How does Babamukuru's family feel about their maid, Anna?
10. What excuses does Maiguru make about Nyasha's poor attitude and rude behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maiguru spends the entire novel babying her husband, Babamukuru. First, give two examples of times when Maiguru treats Babamukuru as a child rather than a man. Then explain the motivations Maiguru has for treating her husband in this way. How does it affect their marital relationship? Finally, explain whether or not you think Maiguru is a good wife to Babamukuru and why.
Essay Topic 2
The older female characters have many different responsibilities. First, create a list of older female characters in the text and briefly describe each of their roles within the family. What is the attitude of the older women toward their responsibilities in the family? How do their attitudes compare/contrast to the attitudes of the younger girls?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)