|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following utensils does Tambu need to eat properly?
2. During what decade is Tambu's story told?
3. Which of the following is NOT a tradition observed by Babamukuru's family at the dinner table?
4. What is the age difference between Nhamo and Tambu?
5. Which of the following food items aren't the children allowed to eat at the dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nhamo die?
2. How does Tambu feel about Maiguru and her relationship to education?
3. How does Babamukuru control the education of the village children where Tambu lives?
4. How does Tambu react to her discovery in the cornfield?
5. How does Nyasha react to the fact that she cannot find her D.H. Lawrence book?
6. During Tambu's first dinner with the family, how does Babamukuru mandate when, and what, his family will eat?
7. What happens when Tambu is in town with Mr. Matimbo?
8. Why does Tambu have a difficult time bonding with Nyasha?
9. How does Tambu react to Babamukuru's arrival in the village?
10. How do the girls at Sacred Heart treat Nyasha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although many of the characters in the novel are black Africans, there are a few scenes in which the black characters interact with white characters. First, give examples of two scenes in which blacks and whites interact. Then describe the speech patterns of the white characters and compare/contrast that speech to the black characters. Based on their verbal interactions, how do the white characters regard the black characters?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
Essay Topic 3
Tambu experiences many culture shocks when she leaves the village and joins Babamukuru's family in the city. First, create a list of amenities Tambu is unused to in the city, and briefly explain how she copes with these changes. Then explain Tambu's struggle with self-pity. Why does she feel this way about herself after moving to the city?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)