|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tambu treat Nhamo before he leaves for school?
2. What is Tambu told she cannot attend school when she turns of age?
3. How does Nhamo feel about Babamukuru's house?
4. What color is the dirt surrounding Babamukuru's home?
5. When thinking about her education, what does Nyasha wish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuses does Maiguru make about Nyasha's poor attitude and rude behavior?
2. How does Tambu feel about the tea Maiguru serves at her home?
3. What hopes does Tambu have for her relationship with Nyasha once she arrives at Babamukuru's home?
4. What happens when Tambu begins to grow her own garden of corn to pay for her tuition?
5. What strategies does Tambu employ to keep her mind on her studies?
6. Why are the young men at Babamukuru's dinner party unhappy?
7. How is Babamukuru treated by the village when he returns?
8. What education does Maiguru have, and how has her education changed her role within the family?
9. How does Tambu's mother provide financial help for her household?
10. How do the girls at Sacred Heart treat Nyasha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although many of the characters in the novel are black Africans, there are a few scenes in which the black characters interact with white characters. First, give examples of two scenes in which blacks and whites interact. Then describe the speech patterns of the white characters and compare/contrast that speech to the black characters. Based on their verbal interactions, how do the white characters regard the black characters?
Essay Topic 2
Tambu has spent her entire life fighting to be able to attend school. First, explain why Tambu was taken out of school in the first place. Then explain how Tambu used seeds to put herself through school and how her brother attempted to sabotage her plans. Finally, explain why Nhamo would have wanted Tambu to fail in her education.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)