|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the maid greet Tambu when she arrives at the house?
2. What has Babamukuru taken away from Nyasha, causing an uproar at the dinner table?
3. How does Ma'Shingayi react when Babamukuru walks up her drive to tell her of Nhamo's death?
4. Which of the following adjectives does Tambu use to describe Nyasha when she first arrives to the home?
5. How does Tambu feel about Netsai?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tambu react to her sleeping arrangements at Babamukuru's house?
2. How is Babamukuru treated by the village when he returns?
3. How does Tambu feel about Maiguru and her relationship to education?
4. Why does Tambu have a difficult time bonding with Nyasha?
5. How do the girls at Sacred Heart treat Nyasha?
6. What happens when Tambu is in town with Mr. Matimbo?
7. How does Babamukuru view the future of the village?
8. What happens when Tambu begins to grow her own garden of corn to pay for her tuition?
9. How does Tambu's mother provide financial help for her household?
10. How does Tambu's father react to the news that there isn't enough money for both of his children to attend school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The older female characters have many different responsibilities. First, create a list of older female characters in the text and briefly describe each of their roles within the family. What is the attitude of the older women toward their responsibilities in the family? How do their attitudes compare/contrast to the attitudes of the younger girls?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Tambu struggles with whether she wants to remember or forget her family in the village. First, give examples of two scenes in which Tambu expresses her struggle with memory. Then describe why it would be beneficial for Tambu to remember her family back home, and why it would be beneficial for her to forget where she came from.
Essay Topic 3
The male characters in the novel all have similar reactions to the role of women in their homes. First, create a list of male characters in the novel and briefly explain each of their attitudes toward women in the home. Then explain some of the special, sometimes burdensome, responsibilities of successful men in the family.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)