Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Netsai in relation to Tambu?
2. How does Tambu feel about herself when she sees herself in the mirror on the first day of school?
3. In what country did Nyasha attend school?
4. Which of the following beverages does Tambu regularly drink with Maiguru?
5. How long would one shilling feed Tambu's family back in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family react to the news that Babamukuru has found Lucia a job?
2. How does Nyasha react to the fact that she cannot find her D.H. Lawrence book?
3. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
4. What excuses does Maiguru make about Nyasha's poor attitude and rude behavior?
5. How does Tambu react to Babamukuru's arrival in the village?
6. How does Tambu feel when Babamukuru returns to the city, leaving her alone with her pregnant mother?
7. What emotions does Tambu feel when she enters her uncle, Babamukuru's, home for the first time?
8. How does Babamukuru view the future of the village?
9. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
10. What hopes does Tambu have for her relationship with Nyasha once she arrives at Babamukuru's home?
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
When the story opens, Tambu admits that she was not sorry when her brother died. First, explain the relationship Tambu had with her older brother, Nhamo. Then explain how Nhamo's death affected Tambu's life and why she might have been pleased to see him die.
Tambu has spent her entire life fighting to be able to attend school. First, explain why Tambu was taken out of school in the first place. Then explain how Tambu used seeds to put herself through school and how her brother attempted to sabotage her plans. Finally, explain why Nhamo would have wanted Tambu to fail in her education.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)