|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nyasha feel about her family's maid?
2. What does Babamukuru claim he cannot eat a meal without?
3. Which of the following terms does Maiguru use to describe Nyasha's change of attitude?
4. How long after being diagnosed with his disease did Nhamo die?
5. When Tambu hears that she cannot attend school, what does she ask her parents for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nhamo die?
2. How do the girls at Sacred Heart treat Nyasha?
3. How does Tambu feel about Maiguru and her relationship to education?
4. What does Babamukuru say in his formal speech welcoming Tambu to the family?
5. How does Tambu describe the swimming holes near her home?
6. What strategies does Tambu employ to keep her mind on her studies?
7. How does Tambu feel about the food served to her and the cutlery she is forced to use at the table?
8. How is Babamukuru treated by the village when he returns?
9. What happens when Tambu begins to grow her own garden of corn to pay for her tuition?
10. How does Nyasha feel about the time she and her brother spent in England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Nervous Conditions" is the title of this novel. First, explain if you think it is a fitting title. Why or why not? Then, list at least three characters who exhibit nervous conditions throughout the novel. How does their nervousness manifest? How do their conditions affect their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Tambu experiences many culture shocks when she leaves the village and joins Babamukuru's family in the city. First, create a list of amenities Tambu is unused to in the city, and briefly explain how she copes with these changes. Then explain Tambu's struggle with self-pity. Why does she feel this way about herself after moving to the city?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the first semester, Nyasha becomes increasingly obsessed with her schooling and final exams. How does Nyasha display her nervousness about the end of term? How does this nervousness compare/contrast with Tambu's nervousness? What is suddenly motivating Nyasha to succeed, and what does she fear if she fails?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)