|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ma'Shingayi react when Babamukuru walks up her drive to tell her of Nhamo's death?
2. How does Tambu feel about herself when she sees herself in the mirror on the first day of school?
3. Who rises from the dinner table to fetch whatever Babamukuru wishes during the meal?
4. When Tambu hears that she cannot attend school, what does she ask her parents for?
5. Which of the following characters does Tambu liken to God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the girls at Sacred Heart treat Nyasha?
2. How does Nyasha feel about the time she and her brother spent in England?
3. During Tambu's first dinner with the family, how does Babamukuru mandate when, and what, his family will eat?
4. How does Babamukuru's family feel about their maid, Anna?
5. What does Babamukuru say in his formal speech welcoming Tambu to the family?
6. How is the ice between Tambu and Nyasha finally broken, and what do they discuss during their first conversation?
7. How does Babamukuru view the future of the village?
8. How does Nhamo die?
9. What excuses does Maiguru make about Nyasha's poor attitude and rude behavior?
10. What strategies does Tambu employ to keep her mind on her studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toward the end of the first semester, Nyasha becomes increasingly obsessed with her schooling and final exams. How does Nyasha display her nervousness about the end of term? How does this nervousness compare/contrast with Tambu's nervousness? What is suddenly motivating Nyasha to succeed, and what does she fear if she fails?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Tambu struggles with whether she wants to remember or forget her family in the village. First, give examples of two scenes in which Tambu expresses her struggle with memory. Then describe why it would be beneficial for Tambu to remember her family back home, and why it would be beneficial for her to forget where she came from.
Essay Topic 3
Back at the homestead, two interesting characters, Lucia and Takesure, are introduced for one scene only. First, describe Lucia, Takesure, and their relationship. Why do you think Dangarembga chose to introduce these characters so late in the novel? What do these two characters represent to Tambu when she returns to the village for the first time?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)