|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Chido speak?
2. What is the only thing Tambu wants to do after she arrives at Babamukuru's?
3. What is the age difference between Nhamo and Tambu?
4. How long after being diagnosed with his disease did Nhamo die?
5. In what country did Nyasha attend school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the girls at Sacred Heart treat Nyasha?
2. How does Babamukuru control the education of the village children where Tambu lives?
3. What happens when Tambu is in town with Mr. Matimbo?
4. What education does Maiguru have, and how has her education changed her role within the family?
5. What do the village children eat at the dinner party honoring Babamukuru?
6. How does Tambu feel about the food served to her and the cutlery she is forced to use at the table?
7. How does Tambu describe the swimming holes near her home?
8. How does Tambu react to her sleeping arrangements at Babamukuru's house?
9. What hopes does Tambu have for her relationship with Nyasha once she arrives at Babamukuru's home?
10. Why does Tambu have a difficult time bonding with Nyasha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The male characters in the novel all have similar reactions to the role of women in their homes. First, create a list of male characters in the novel and briefly explain each of their attitudes toward women in the home. Then explain some of the special, sometimes burdensome, responsibilities of successful men in the family.
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, Tambu has a long discussion with her mother about womanhood, as Tambu's mother believes that being a woman is a burden. First, explain why Tambu's mother believes womanhood to be a burden. Then explain the advice she gives to her daughter about how to be a success in life. Do you see Tambu utilizing or ignoring this advise throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Jeremiah, Tambu's father, is an interesting male character. First, physically describe Jeremiah and compare/contrast his physicality to his brother, Babamukuru. Then explain how Jeremiah makes a living in the village and why he is so dependent on his brother.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)