|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what order are Tambu's visiting relatives served at dinner?
2. How does Tambu feel about the way Nyasha speaks to Maiguru?
3. During which month of the year does Nhamo return to his village from school?
4. Where does Tambu's mother work?
5. What has Babamukuru taken away from Nyasha, causing an uproar at the dinner table?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
2. Why are the young men at Babamukuru's dinner party unhappy?
3. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
4. What does Babamukuru say in his formal speech welcoming Tambu to the family?
5. How does Babamukuru view the future of the village?
6. How is Babamukuru treated by the village when he returns?
7. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
8. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
9. How does Tambu react to Babamukuru's arrival in the village?
10. How do the girls at Sacred Heart treat Nyasha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeremiah, Tambu's father, is an interesting male character. First, physically describe Jeremiah and compare/contrast his physicality to his brother, Babamukuru. Then explain how Jeremiah makes a living in the village and why he is so dependent on his brother.
Essay Topic 2
Tambu has spent her entire life fighting to be able to attend school. First, explain why Tambu was taken out of school in the first place. Then explain how Tambu used seeds to put herself through school and how her brother attempted to sabotage her plans. Finally, explain why Nhamo would have wanted Tambu to fail in her education.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Nyasha is struggling with an eating disorder. First, explain how this disorder affects life within her household. Then explain why Dangarembga might have chosen this particular disease for Nyasha to struggle with. What might this disease symbolize in Nyasha's life?
This section contains 1,913 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)