Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task is Tambu asked to do for the visiting relatives?
2. What is the age difference between Nhamo and Tambu?
3. Which of the following is Babamukuru's nickname within the village?
4. How does Nhamo perform in school?
5. During which month of the year does Nhamo return to his village from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
2. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
3. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
4. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
5. How does Tambu handle washing the hands of her relatives?
6. Who is Nyaradzo?
7. How does Babamukuru propose to deal with the evil that has been following his family?
8. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
9. How does Tambu react to her sleeping arrangements at Babamukuru's house?
10. How does Tambu feel about the tea Maiguru serves at her home?
Tambu's family runs on a strict hierarchy. First, explain the hierarchy within Tambu's extended family -- who is on top? Who is on the bottom? Then explain how the hierarchy is expressed during the opening scenes in the novel, when Babamukuru first returns to the village. Then compare/contrast that to the way the hierarchy is expressed when Tambu returns to the village for the Christmas holidays. What has changed? What has stayed the same?
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru announces that Jeremiah and Mainini will have a church wedding. First, explain why this wedding was so important to Babamukuru that he would offer to pay for the whole thing. What traditional customs does this wedding represent? Then explain Tambu's reaction to the forced marriage. How does this wedding change her views of her family?
"Nervous Conditions" is the title of this novel. First, explain if you think it is a fitting title. Why or why not? Then, list at least three characters who exhibit nervous conditions throughout the novel. How does their nervousness manifest? How do their conditions affect their lives?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)