|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a tradition observed by Babamukuru's family at the dinner table?
2. In what order are Tambu's visiting relatives served at dinner?
3. After the formal welcoming speech, which of the following contraptions is Tambu too embarrassed to admit she cannot work?
4. Which of the following is the traditional dish eaten as a staple at most meals by the villagers?
5. What does Tambu's father believe she should study to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tambu react to her sleeping arrangements at Babamukuru's house?
2. How is the ice between Tambu and Nyasha finally broken, and what do they discuss during their first conversation?
3. How do the girls at Sacred Heart treat Nyasha?
4. How does Babamukuru's family feel about their maid, Anna?
5. What do the village children eat at the dinner party honoring Babamukuru?
6. How does Tambu feel about the food served to her and the cutlery she is forced to use at the table?
7. What education does Maiguru have, and how has her education changed her role within the family?
8. How does Tambu handle washing the hands of her relatives?
9. How did Nhamo react to Babamukuru's home and how did his reaction affect Tambu when she arrives at the home?
10. How is Babamukuru treated by the village when he returns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toward the end of the first semester, Nyasha becomes increasingly obsessed with her schooling and final exams. How does Nyasha display her nervousness about the end of term? How does this nervousness compare/contrast with Tambu's nervousness? What is suddenly motivating Nyasha to succeed, and what does she fear if she fails?
Essay Topic 2
Tambu has spent her entire life fighting to be able to attend school. First, explain why Tambu was taken out of school in the first place. Then explain how Tambu used seeds to put herself through school and how her brother attempted to sabotage her plans. Finally, explain why Nhamo would have wanted Tambu to fail in her education.
Essay Topic 3
"Nervous Conditions" is the title of this novel. First, explain if you think it is a fitting title. Why or why not? Then, list at least three characters who exhibit nervous conditions throughout the novel. How does their nervousness manifest? How do their conditions affect their lives?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)