Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task is Tambu asked to do for the visiting relatives?
2. What is the age difference between Nhamo and Tambu?
3. Which of the following is Babamukuru's nickname within the village?
4. How does Nhamo perform in school?
5. During which month of the year does Nhamo return to his village from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tambu feel about her parents' impending wedding ceremony?
2. How does Tambu feel about having to return to the homestead to visit her family for Christmas?
3. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
4. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
5. How does Tambu handle washing the hands of her relatives?
6. Who is Nyaradzo?
7. How does Babamukuru propose to deal with the evil that has been following his family?
8. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
9. How does Tambu react to her sleeping arrangements at Babamukuru's house?
10. How does Tambu feel about the tea Maiguru serves at her home?
Essay Topic 1
Tambu experiences many culture shocks when she leaves the village and joins Babamukuru's family in the city. First, create a list of amenities Tambu is unused to in the city, and briefly explain how she copes with these changes. Then explain Tambu's struggle with self-pity. Why does she feel this way about herself after moving to the city?
Essay Topic 2
Although many of the characters in the novel are black Africans, there are a few scenes in which the black characters interact with white characters. First, give examples of two scenes in which blacks and whites interact. Then describe the speech patterns of the white characters and compare/contrast that speech to the black characters. Based on their verbal interactions, how do the white characters regard the black characters?
Essay Topic 3
Tambu's family runs on a strict hierarchy. First, explain the hierarchy within Tambu's extended family -- who is on top? Who is on the bottom? Then explain how the hierarchy is expressed during the opening scenes in the novel, when Babamukuru first returns to the village. Then compare/contrast that to the way the hierarchy is expressed when Tambu returns to the village for the Christmas holidays. What has changed? What has stayed the same?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)