|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nyasha believe that her parents feel for her?
2. In what order are Tambu's visiting relatives served at dinner?
3. What language does Tambu and her family speak at home?
4. What language does Chido speak?
5. What hopes does Tambu have when Nyasha first arrives at the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the girls at Sacred Heart treat Nyasha?
2. How is Babamukuru treated by the village when he returns?
3. How does Babamukuru control the education of the village children where Tambu lives?
4. How does Nyasha react to the fact that she cannot find her D.H. Lawrence book?
5. How does Tambu's mother provide financial help for her household?
6. What strategies does Tambu employ to keep her mind on her studies?
7. How does Tambu handle washing the hands of her relatives?
8. How does Tambu describe the swimming holes near her home?
9. How does Tambu's father react to the news that there isn't enough money for both of his children to attend school?
10. How does Babamukuru view the future of the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The older female characters have many different responsibilities. First, create a list of older female characters in the text and briefly describe each of their roles within the family. What is the attitude of the older women toward their responsibilities in the family? How do their attitudes compare/contrast to the attitudes of the younger girls?
Essay Topic 2
Tambu's family runs on a strict hierarchy. First, explain the hierarchy within Tambu's extended family -- who is on top? Who is on the bottom? Then explain how the hierarchy is expressed during the opening scenes in the novel, when Babamukuru first returns to the village. Then compare/contrast that to the way the hierarchy is expressed when Tambu returns to the village for the Christmas holidays. What has changed? What has stayed the same?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Babamukuru chastises Nyasha, accusing her of being promiscuous. Why did Babamukur believe that Nyasha was acting inappropriately? Do you agree with his assessment of his daughter's behavior? Why or why not? Second, explain the double standard Babamukuru has for his children's behavior. How does he feel about Chido's promiscuous ways?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)