|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a topic Tambu's family discusses during their family meeting?
(a) Crop rotation.
(b) Lack of money.
(c) Abusive sons.
(d) Unmarried and pregnant daughters.
2. Which of the following is NOT a purchase Maiguru makes at the general store for Tambu to take with her to her new school?
(a) Rice pudding.
(b) Tinned jam.
(c) Fruit juice.
(d) Tomato sauce.
3. Who is put in charge of overseeing the food during the duration of the trip home?
4. How many lashes does Tambu receive on the day of her parents' wedding?
5. Which of the following is the same about Ma'Shingayi and Lucia at the time when Tambu comes to visit?
(a) They are both pregnant.
(b) They are both gravely ill.
(c) They are both learning to sew.
(d) They are both trying to divorce their husbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when students are "screened out"?
2. How many girls have been hired by Babamukuru to help with the cooking and other chores?
3. What job does Babamukuru find for Lucia?
4. Who claims that Babamukuru is beating Nyasha because she is a girl?
5. Who curls up next to Nyasha on the night of the fight, sleeping with their arms wrapped around her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nyasha find most strange about the white people who live at the mission?
2. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
3. How are the dresses for Ma'Shingayi's wedding purchased?
4. What is the reaction from Babamukuru's family when Tambu wins a scholarship to the Sacred Heart?
5. How does Tambu feel when Babamukuru returns to the city, leaving her alone with her pregnant mother?
6. How does Babamukuru feel about Lucia's presence on the homestead?
7. Why doesn't Nyasha want to attend the missionary school one town over?
8. How does Tambu feel about the village latrine?
9. How does Maiguru react to the vicious fight that breaks out between Babamukuru and Nyasha after the dance?
10. After Nyasha collapses and is brought to the doctor, what is her diagnosis?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)