|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Tambu's attitude as she returns to the homestead?
(a) She is worried that her family will no longer recognize her.
(b) She has been unable to sleep for a week.
(c) She does not understand why anyone would want to visit the village.
(d) She refuses to return, and won't leave her bedroom.
2. How are Ma'Shingayi and Lucia related?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) Lucia is Ma'Shingayi's aunt.
(d) Ma'Shingayi is Lucia's mother.
3. What does Nyasha do to her father that causes him to go into a blind fury, repeatedly slamming her head into the floor?
(a) She calls him by his first name.
(b) She spits on him.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She punches him.
4. Which of the following is the same about Ma'Shingayi and Lucia at the time when Tambu comes to visit?
(a) They are both learning to sew.
(b) They are both gravely ill.
(c) They are both trying to divorce their husbands.
(d) They are both pregnant.
5. Where is Tambu's mother lying when the family first arrives?
(a) In the bedroom.
(b) In the fields.
(c) On the kitchen floor.
(d) Near the latrine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Babamukuru feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
2. While Nyasha is at the hospital, where is Tambu sent?
3. What is the name of the school at which the nuns work?
4. How does Tambu react to her first school dance?
5. During what month of the year does Tambu return home to the village for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part about studying makes Nyasha most nervous, and how does she combat those nerves?
2. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Tambu winning the scholarship?
3. What is the process of being "screened out" at school and why does Nyasha fear it?
4. How are the dresses for Ma'Shingayi's wedding purchased?
5. During the family meeting, what does Lucia say about Jeremiah and his relationship with Ma'Shingayi?
6. How do Nyasha's parents react to the dress she wears to the Christmas dance?
7. How does Ma'Shingayi feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
8. What is Maiguru responsible for during the trip to the homestead, and how does she react to this responsibility?
9. How does Babamukuru propose to deal with the evil that has been following his family?
10. Why do nuns from the Sacred Heart arrive at the mission school?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)