|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters stays behind after the holidays to care for Ma'Shingayi?
2. How long does Nyasha sleep when she's getting a good night's sleep?
(a) 7-8 hours.
(b) 9-10 hours.
(c) 5-6 hours.
(d) 3-4 hours.
3. After the wedding, how long is Anna given off so Tambu can complete the household chores?
(a) Two fortnights.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
4. How does Babamukuru react to the dress Nyasha wears for the dance?
(a) He thinks she looks inappropriate.
(b) He thinks she looks like a clown.
(c) He thinks she looks beautiful.
(d) He thinks she looks womanly.
5. Whom does Babamukuru compliment for the work done on the homestead while he was away?
6. Where is Tambu's mother lying when the family first arrives?
(a) In the fields.
(b) In the bedroom.
(c) Near the latrine.
(d) On the kitchen floor.
7. During which grade in school do the nuns arrive to give students general examinations?
(a) Sixth grade.
(b) Eighth grade.
(c) Seventh grade.
(d) Fifth grade.
8. Why is Nyasha favored within the school system?
(a) Because she is well-traveled and well-respected.
(b) Because she comes from a wealthy family.
(c) Because she is the smartest in the class.
(d) Because she is the headmaster's daughter.
9. When Babamukuru is beating Nyasha, what does he demand of her?
(a) To be submissive.
(b) To be obedient.
(c) To be respectful.
(d) To be smart.
10. Who is put in charge of purchasing material for the dresses to be used in Jeremiah and Ma'Shingayi's wedding?
11. Despite having a latrine, where does Tambu go to the bathroom?
(a) In the bushes.
(b) She travels to the only flush toilet in town, at the library.
(c) In the river.
(d) In a bedpan.
12. How does Tambu travel to the nun's school?
(a) By taxi.
(b) By foot.
(c) By bus.
(d) By plane.
13. What does Nyaradzo's family do for a living?
(a) They are doctors.
(b) They are unemployed.
(c) They are missionaries.
(d) They are farmers.
14. What is the name of the man Lucia arrived at the homestead with?
15. Which of the following women is the eldest in Tambu's family?
(d) Tete Gladys.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tambu feel about Lucia's outburst in the family meeting, at which she promises to leave the homestead, taking Ma'Shingayi with her?
2. Which of the following topics does Nyasha frequently discuss in her letters to Tambu?
3. Which of the following students claims that studying for the exams is "the first time I've done something that matters"?
4. What is the name of the school at which the nuns work?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Lucia is accused of while staying at the homestead?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)