|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many lashes does Tambu receive on the day of her parents' wedding?
2. During what month of the year does Tambu return home to the village for the first time?
3. Who is put in charge of purchasing material for the dresses to be used in Jeremiah and Ma'Shingayi's wedding?
4. On what type of bed does Tambu's mother sleep?
(a) A bamboo mat.
(b) A reed mat.
(c) A featherbed.
(d) A dirt floor.
5. Which of the following is NOT a purchase Maiguru makes at the general store for Tambu to take with her to her new school?
(a) Rice pudding.
(b) Fruit juice.
(c) Tinned jam.
(d) Tomato sauce.
6. How are Ma'Shingayi and Lucia related?
(a) Ma'Shingayi is Lucia's mother.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are sisters.
(d) Lucia is Ma'Shingayi's aunt.
7. How does Babamukuru feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
(a) He forbids it.
(b) He does not know she is staying there.
(c) He accepts it.
(d) He is apathetic to it.
8. What does Chido call Nyasha for refusing to back down to Babamukuru's anger?
(a) A child.
(b) A fool.
(c) A coward.
(d) A hero.
9. For which holiday does the city host a dance for the school-age children?
(d) New Year's.
10. How does Tambu feel about Lucia's outburst in the family meeting, at which she promises to leave the homestead, taking Ma'Shingayi with her?
(a) She is terrified.
(b) She is relieved.
(c) She is apathetic.
(d) She is confused.
11. After the holidays, how long will Tambu and Nyasha be separated before the beginning of the next school year?
(a) They will not be separated.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three days.
12. What is the name of the school at which the nuns work?
(a) Immaculate Conception.
(b) Our Lady of Sorrows.
(c) Sacred Heart.
(d) Saint Paul.
13. Who is the first person Maiguru stays with after leaving Babamukuru?
(c) Tete Gladys.
(d) Her brother.
14. What is the name of the boy who teaches Nyasha new dance steps?
15. Who runs back to Babamukuru to tell him that Nyasha is alone with a boy?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nyasha feel about the upcoming school exams?
2. During which meal does Nyasha collapse in front of her family?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT accompany Tambu to her new school with the nuns?
4. Which of the following best describes Tambu's attitude as she returns to the homestead?
5. What is the name of Tambu's youngest brother?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)