|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Babamukuru react to his daughter's end-of-term exam scores?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is disappointed.
(c) He is pleased.
(d) He is outraged.
2. How many lashes does Tambu receive on the day of her parents' wedding?
3. How does Tambu travel to the nun's school?
(a) By plane.
(b) By taxi.
(c) By foot.
(d) By bus.
4. What part of Nyasha's recent behavior at exam times worries Maiguru?
(a) She is becoming withdrawn.
(b) She is becoming disruptive.
(c) She is becoming apathetic.
(d) She is becoming obsessive.
5. Who is put in charge of purchasing material for the dresses to be used in Jeremiah and Ma'Shingayi's wedding?
6. What job does Babamukuru find for Lucia?
(a) A driver.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A cook.
(d) A maid.
7. Which of the following is NOT a topic Tambu's family discusses during their family meeting?
(a) Unmarried and pregnant daughters.
(b) Lack of money.
(c) Crop rotation.
(d) Abusive sons.
8. What aspect of the nuns makes Tambu's family nervous?
(a) They are white.
(b) They are Catholic.
(c) They are rich.
(d) They are rude.
9. On what type of bed does Tambu's mother sleep?
(a) A reed mat.
(b) A dirt floor.
(c) A bamboo mat.
(d) A featherbed.
10. How does Babamukuru feel about Lucia staying on the homestead?
(a) He does not know she is staying there.
(b) He is apathetic to it.
(c) He forbids it.
(d) He accepts it.
11. What does Babamukuru give to Jeremiah as a wedding gift?
(a) A car.
(c) A sack of gold coins.
(d) A cow.
12. What does Lucia threaten to do to Ma'Shingayi's baby if she doesn't get out of bed?
(a) Bury him.
(b) Stab him.
(c) Drown him.
(d) Poison him.
13. How long had Lucia been homeless before coming to stay at the homestead?
(a) 21 years.
(b) 11 years.
(c) 19 years.
(d) 13 years.
14. What is the name of Tambu's youngest brother?
15. How does Lucia feel about her new job?
(a) She is overwhelmed.
(b) She is resentful.
(c) She is proud.
(d) She is confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nyasha favored within the school system?
2. Which of the following best describes Tambu's attitude as she returns to the homestead?
3. What happens when students are "screened out"?
4. How are Ma'Shingayi and Lucia related?
5. Which of the following characters does NOT speak to Babamukuru about Tambu's punishment?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)