|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the holidays, how long will Tambu and Nyasha be separated before the beginning of the next school year?
(a) Three months.
(b) They will not be separated.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three weeks.
2. How does Tambu react to her first school dance?
(a) She enjoys herself fully.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is bored.
(d) She is overwhelmed.
3. Where is the school dance held?
(a) Washington Hall.
(b) Beit Hall.
(c) Columbus Hall.
(d) Faruk Hall.
4. Which of the following best describes Tambu's attitude as she returns to the homestead?
(a) She has been unable to sleep for a week.
(b) She is worried that her family will no longer recognize her.
(c) She refuses to return, and won't leave her bedroom.
(d) She does not understand why anyone would want to visit the village.
5. Which of the children in the novel has arrangements made to be sent to the missionary school one town over?
6. Who runs back to Babamukuru to tell him that Nyasha is alone with a boy?
7. How many people arrive at the homestead to celebrate Babamukuru's arrival?
8. Why is Nyasha favored within the school system?
(a) Because she is well-traveled and well-respected.
(b) Because she is the headmaster's daughter.
(c) Because she is the smartest in the class.
(d) Because she comes from a wealthy family.
9. What does Nyasha feel that the family is turning Babamukuru into?
(a) A man.
(b) A god.
(c) A monster.
(d) A hero.
10. Which of the following is NOT a chore Tambu is expected to complete while visiting her family at the homestead?
(a) Cleaning the latrine.
(b) Harvesting the fields.
(c) Fetching the water.
(d) Washing the clothes.
11. Which of the following food items turns green when it cannot be refrigerated, but is still served to guests?
12. With which of the following disorders does Nyasha struggle?
13. How many girls have been hired by Babamukuru to help with the cooking and other chores?
14. How does Nyasha feel about the upcoming school exams?
(a) She is terrified.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is apathetic.
15. What happens when students are "screened out"?
(a) They are sent to a different school in another town.
(b) They are kicked out of the school.
(c) They are promoted to a higher grade.
(d) They are left to repeat their same grade.
Short Answer Questions
1. During which grade in school do the nuns arrive to give students general examinations?
2. Which of the following characters is NOT blamed by Babamukuru for Nyasha's wild ways?
3. What is the name of Tambu's youngest brother?
4. Which of the following male characters compliments Maiguru on how hard she works and tells her that she may go to bed?
5. How does Lucia feel about her new job?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)