|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tambu feel about the way Nyasha speaks to Maiguru?
(a) She is enthralled.
(b) She is embarrassed.
(c) She is apathetic.
(d) She is confused.
2. Where does Tambu's mother sell her food items?
(a) The boat dock.
(b) The schools.
(c) The street market.
(d) The bus station.
3. Which of the following bits of advice is NOT given to Tambu during her formal welcoming speech?
(a) To be grateful for this opportunity.
(b) To help provide for her family.
(c) To respect Babamukuru.
(d) To study dilligently.
4. How does Tambu feel when she enters her uncle's house for the first time?
(a) She feels bored.
(b) She feels terrified.
(c) She feels excited.
(d) She feels embarrassed.
5. What language does Tambu and her family speak at home?
6. Which of the following characters does Tambu describe as "intangible"?
7. What hopes does Tambu have when Nyasha first arrives at the home?
(a) Tambu hopes that Nyasha will grow to fear her.
(b) Tambu hopes that she and Nyasha will become friends.
(c) Tambu hopes that Nyasha will leave her alone.
(d) Tambu hopes that Nyasha will soon move away to attend school.
8. What is the name of Babamukuru's maid?
9. How does Tambu feel about herself when she sees herself in the mirror on the first day of school?
(a) She thinks she looks rich.
(b) She thinks she looks pretty.
(c) She thinks she still looks poor.
(d) She thinks she looks ugly.
10. What does Tambu claim she will do after she receives her education?
(a) Get a job.
(b) Get married.
(c) Return to the village.
(d) Send money to her family.
11. Which of the following beverages does Tambu regularly drink with Maiguru?
(a) Rice wine.
12. In what country did Nyasha attend school?
(d) United States.
13. After the formal welcoming speech, which of the following contraptions is Tambu too embarrassed to admit she cannot work?
(a) A dishwasher.
(b) A water filter.
(c) A light switch.
(d) A toilet flush.
14. Which of the following articles of clothing has Tambu never heard of?
(a) Cocktail gown.
15. How does Tambu treat Nhamo before he leaves for school?
(a) She is uncharacteristically kind to him.
(b) She slaps him in the face.
(c) She is affectionate and sentimental.
(d) She is unable to speak to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters makes a long speech after dinner, formally welcoming Tambu into the family?
2. When Tambu hears that she cannot attend school, what does she ask her parents for?
3. How does Nhamo perform in school?
4. Which of the following food items aren't the children allowed to eat at the dinner party?
5. What year does Nhamo die?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)