|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tambu believe she was passed over for education by Babamukuru?
(a) Because she is too smart.
(b) Because she is too young.
(c) Because she is a girl.
(d) Because she is unintelligent.
2. Which of the following utensils does Tambu need to eat properly?
(a) A set of chopsticks.
(b) A knife.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A fork.
3. What hopes does Tambu have when Nyasha first arrives at the home?
(a) Tambu hopes that Nyasha will leave her alone.
(b) Tambu hopes that Nyasha will soon move away to attend school.
(c) Tambu hopes that she and Nyasha will become friends.
(d) Tambu hopes that Nyasha will grow to fear her.
4. What disease was Nhamo diagnosed as dying from?
(c) Small pox.
(d) Scarlet fever.
5. How does Tambu's father react to the news that she cannot attend school?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is saddened.
(c) He is pleased.
(d) He is confused.
6. How does Nhamo feel about the walk from school to his home?
(a) He is confused by the walk.
(b) He enjoys the walk.
(c) He hates the walk.
(d) He is terrified of the walk.
7. Which of the following characters does NOT observe the traditions of food service mandated in Babamukuru's home?
8. What language does Chido speak?
9. Which of the following statements is NOT true of Nyasha?
(a) She does not like school.
(b) She does not appreciate her economic status.
(c) She has no manners.
(d) She does not respect her parents.
10. Which of the following rooms of the home is particularly difficult for Tambu to navigate when she first moves to Babamukuru's
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The pantry.
11. Which of the following beverages does Tambu regularly drink with Maiguru?
(b) Rice wine.
12. What does Ma'Shingayi say killed her son?
13. What does Maiguru claim she wants Tambu to eat while living under her roof?
(a) Whatever food makes her happy.
(b) Whatever food the family eats.
(c) Whatever food makes her forget her home.
(d) Whatever food is served to her.
14. What type of school do Tambu and her brother Nhamo attend?
(a) Montessori school.
(b) Boarding school.
(c) Missionary school.
(d) Elementary school.
15. Which of the following purchases brings confused tears to Tambu's eyes?
(a) Her new car.
(b) Her new school clothes.
(c) Her new school notebooks.
(d) Her new bedroom set.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long would one shilling feed Tambu's family back in the village?
2. What language does Tambu and her family speak at home?
3. During what decade is Tambu's story told?
4. What does Tambu claim she will do after she receives her education?
5. When Nhamo returns from school, which of the following animals is Tambu sent to slaughter for dinner?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)