|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hopes does Tambu have when Nyasha first arrives at the home?
(a) Tambu hopes that Nyasha will leave her alone.
(b) Tambu hopes that Nyasha will soon move away to attend school.
(c) Tambu hopes that she and Nyasha will become friends.
(d) Tambu hopes that Nyasha will grow to fear her.
2. Where does Tambu's mother sell her food items?
(a) The schools.
(b) The bus station.
(c) The street market.
(d) The boat dock.
3. Which of the following is NOT a tradition observed by Babamukuru's family at the dinner table?
(a) Babamukuru serves the rest of the family, thus controlling their portions.
(b) The food is kept on warmers until Babamukuru is ready to eat.
(c) Babamukuru is always served first.
(d) Babamukuru dictates the menu.
4. What is the name of Babamukuru's wife?
5. What part about Babamukuru's eating habits worries Tambu?
(a) That he eats too late.
(b) That he eats too frequently.
(c) That he eats too infrequently.
(d) That he eats too early.
6. Which of the following characters makes a long speech after dinner, formally welcoming Tambu into the family?
7. What type of school do Tambu and her brother Nhamo attend?
(a) Missionary school.
(b) Elementary school.
(c) Boarding school.
(d) Montessori school.
8. What task is Tambu asked to do for the visiting relatives?
(a) Wash their clothes.
(b) Wash their feet.
(c) Wash their faces.
(d) Wash their hands.
9. What does Tambu claim she will do after she receives her education?
(a) Return to the village.
(b) Get married.
(c) Send money to her family.
(d) Get a job.
10. Which of the following forces Nyasha and Tambu to burst out laughing and have their first conversation?
(a) Spilled milk.
(b) Eye contact.
(c) A puppy's antics.
(d) A porcelain doll.
11. How long would one shilling feed Tambu's family back in the village?
(a) For one year.
(b) For one month.
(c) For one day.
(d) For one week.
12. Which of the following is the only word Tambu can translate from the conversation between Nyasha and her mother?
13. What does Tambu's father believe she should study to become?
(a) A writer.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A wife.
14. During which month of the year did Nhamo die?
15. What is Tambu told she cannot attend school when she turns of age?
(a) Tambu does not want to attend school.
(b) The school does not accept female students.
(c) Her brother fobids it.
(d) Her family does not have enough money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the age difference between Nhamo and Tambu?
2. What does Ma'Shingayi say killed her son?
3. Which of the following rooms of the home is particularly difficult for Tambu to navigate when she first moves to Babamukuru's
4. Which of the following adjectives does Tambu use to describe Nyasha when she first arrives to the home?
5. During their first conversation, what does Nyasha admit to Tambu?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)