|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dave takes two weeks of vacation with Annie. Where do they go?
2. Who says, "You must get up in the morning and brush your teeth in the toilet"?
3. When Dave tails Cletus, where does he see Cletus go both at the beginning and end of his shift?
4. Where does Cletus talk about going for his upcoming vacation?
5. Where is Dave's morning AA meeting located in Chapter Ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dave first begins tailing Cletus, he notices that Cletus is hung over and apparently has a real problem with alcohol. What does Dave predict for Cletus's day?
2. Why does Dave return to the Picayune's morgue in Chapter Twelve?
3. As Dave sits in jail without enough money for bail, he thinks it is perhaps the lowest morning of his life with the exception of what incident?
4. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
5. About what incident from her past does Annie tell Dave in Chapter Eleven?
6. What is in the Gulf, south of Morgan City?
7. What is known about the contract killer?
8. What does the word "Pinkville" mean to Dave?
9. In Chapter Eleven, Dave tells Annie that he has to hurt her. How does he hurt her?
10. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By Chapter 2, the reader is introduced to two police officers, one who currently works in vice, and the other who used to work there. According to Dave, things never went well when he "had to deal with the people in vice." Discuss the impression you get about the type of people who work in vice. Be sure to discuss both Sergeant Motley and Cletus Purcel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, three bad guys break into Annie's house, terrorizing her and Dave in order to get answers from Dave. The reader learns the names of two of the men, Bobby Joe and Erik, but the third is only called "the man in the raincoat." Why is the reader not provided with a name for this man, the leader of the trio? Are there are other differences between "the man in the raincoat" and the other two men? Explain the significance of the omission of a name as well as other differences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the incident in Chapter 10 in which Dave concludes that the evil of the Nazis "was held in check by the family who sacrificed their lives so their youngest member could live." What relevance does this tale have to the book?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)