|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jimmie communicate with Dave from the hospital bed?
2. Who was part of the Underground Railway?
3. What reason does Dave give Internal Affairs for punching Nate Baxter?
4. With what group does Andres say he served in Nicaragua for seven years?
5. What does Annie cook on Dave's stove in Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about the contract killer?
2. Andres is brought to Dave's houseboat in Chapter Nine by Didi Gee's men. Where has Dave seen Andres before?
3. In Chapter Eleven, Dave tells Annie that he has to hurt her. How does he hurt her?
4. Why does Dave return to the Picayune's morgue in Chapter Twelve?
5. Dave confronts Philip Murphy and plans to take him back to New Orleans. What is the outcome of this?
6. What is in the Gulf, south of Morgan City?
7. In Chapter Eight, when Dave sees Annie's date for the evening, what does he do?
8. What does Dave do with the the glass from which the Nicaraguan is drinking, and why?
9. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
10. When Dave first begins tailing Cletus, he notices that Cletus is hung over and apparently has a real problem with alcohol. What does Dave predict for Cletus's day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about other meanings, besides the obvious physical one, that this statement at the end of Chapter 5 might have: "Then my trio of friends squeezed the remaining air out of my chest, the blood out of my ear, the light from my eyes."
Essay Topic 2
Write about the theme of good versus evil citing examples from this book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the incident in Chapter 10 in which Dave concludes that the evil of the Nazis "was held in check by the family who sacrificed their lives so their youngest member could live." What relevance does this tale have to the book?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)