|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave read while waiting for the valet at the Gulf Shores restaurant?
2. As Chapter Eight ends, what color are the palm trees against the sky?
3. Who recorded the song to which Dave listens with the lyrics: "Dig my grave with a silver spade. And see that my grave is kept clean. Oh dear Lord, lower me down on golden chain"?
4. What is the isolation unit at the jail nicknamed?
5. Dave takes two weeks of vacation with Annie. Where do they go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dave confronts Cletus one last time in Chapter Eleven. What does he tell Cletus he can do?
2. What is in the Gulf, south of Morgan City?
3. Why does Didi Gee want Jimmie dead?
4. As Dave sits in jail without enough money for bail, he thinks it is perhaps the lowest morning of his life with the exception of what incident?
5. Why does Dave return to the Picayune's morgue in Chapter Twelve?
6. In Chapter Nine, Dave finally confronts Cletus about turning into a bad cop. How does Cletus respond?
7. What happens with Dave's job when he is reinstated?
8. In Chapter Ten, Dave meets Didi Gee at a restaurant. Describe the restaurant.
9. About what incident from her past does Annie tell Dave in Chapter Eleven?
10. Where is Didi Gee's office located, and what type of businesses are run from there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dave's relationship with his father and his current feelings about the man. What impact does Dave's father have on him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the incident in Chapter 10 in which Dave concludes that the evil of the Nazis "was held in check by the family who sacrificed their lives so their youngest member could live." What relevance does this tale have to the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the evidence that Dave finds at Starkweather's fish camp, and what he then suspects from that information. How does he come to his conclusions?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)