|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mark is on Dave's stomach?
2. What did Dave's father give him when he went away to college?
3. On what street is Murphy's house located in Biloxi?
4. What does Dave serve Andres to drink?
5. In what area of New Orleans does General Abshire live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Didi Gee upset in Chapter Ten?
2. In Chapter Twelve, Dave says that he is caught in the lens. What does he mean by this?
3. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
4. In Chapter Nine, Dave finally confronts Cletus about turning into a bad cop. How does Cletus respond?
5. In Chapter Ten, Dave contemplates how he is not making much of a difference in the world. His brother Jimmie understands that and puts his energy into what pursuits?
6. What does Dave do with the the glass from which the Nicaraguan is drinking, and why?
7. Why does Didi Gee want Jimmie dead?
8. What is known about the contract killer?
9. What does Annie do and feel when she wakes up to find Dave has gone following their first night together?
10. Dave confronts Philip Murphy and plans to take him back to New Orleans. What is the outcome of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Referring to the four Cajun tales from Chapter 7 which Dave remembers hearing from his father, describe how they qualify as lessons by which to live one's life.
Essay Topic 2
"The Neon Rain" begins when Dave Robicheaux visits Angola penitentiary. The person he visits is hours away from execution, and there are groups both for and against his execution at the gate. Discuss what feelings or opinions Dave has about the death penalty in general and the man who is being executed.
Essay Topic 3
By Chapter 2, the reader is introduced to two police officers, one who currently works in vice, and the other who used to work there. According to Dave, things never went well when he "had to deal with the people in vice." Discuss the impression you get about the type of people who work in vice. Be sure to discuss both Sergeant Motley and Cletus Purcel.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)