|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Twelve, who says that he wants to apologize to Dave?
2. Dave realizes that his brother had been trying to trace initials on his chest on that day in the hospital after Jimmie's first surgery. Whose initials did Jimmie trace?
3. What does Jaime always wear on his head?
4. Of what organization does Didi Gee want to be a member?
5. Where does Dave meet Didi Gee for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Dave sits in jail without enough money for bail, he thinks it is perhaps the lowest morning of his life with the exception of what incident?
2. What does Annie do and feel when she wakes up to find Dave has gone following their first night together?
3. What does the word "Pinkville" mean to Dave?
4. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
5. What happens with Dave's job when he is reinstated?
6. In Chapter Ten, Dave contemplates how he is not making much of a difference in the world. His brother Jimmie understands that and puts his energy into what pursuits?
7. Why does Didi Gee want Jimmie dead?
8. What is in the Gulf, south of Morgan City?
9. Dave confronts Cletus one last time in Chapter Eleven. What does he tell Cletus he can do?
10. In Chapter Ten, Dave meets Didi Gee at a restaurant. Describe the restaurant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Due to the nature of the first person viewpoint, the reader knows what Dave thinks of his brother, Jimmie. What do you believe Jimmie thinks of and feels for his brother? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 11, Captain Guidry mentions "hubris" as "that word they use when they're talking about characters in Shakespeare's plays." Hubris is similar to pride. Research and write about the origin of "hubris." Is the term the same as or slightly different from pride? Why does the author choose to mention this in this book? How does it apply?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect of Fitzpatrick's death on Dave. Does he feel responsible? Guilty? If so, is there anything he could have done to stop it?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)