|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Nine, Dave starts his day with what?
2. Where is Dave's morning AA meeting located in Chapter Ten?
3. In what area of New Orleans does General Abshire live?
4. Where did Dave learn to box?
5. With what group does Andres say he served in Nicaragua for seven years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dave confronts Philip Murphy and plans to take him back to New Orleans. What is the outcome of this?
2. What happens to Andres after Dave leaves him in police custody?
3. Why does Dave return to the Picayune's morgue in Chapter Twelve?
4. In Chapter Nine, Dave finally confronts Cletus about turning into a bad cop. How does Cletus respond?
5. What does Dave do with the the glass from which the Nicaraguan is drinking, and why?
6. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
7. When Dave first begins tailing Cletus, he notices that Cletus is hung over and apparently has a real problem with alcohol. What does Dave predict for Cletus's day?
8. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
9. What does Annie do and feel when she wakes up to find Dave has gone following their first night together?
10. In Chapter Twelve, Dave says that he is caught in the lens. What does he mean by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, Captain Guidry mentions "hubris" as "that word they use when they're talking about characters in Shakespeare's plays." Hubris is similar to pride. Research and write about the origin of "hubris." Is the term the same as or slightly different from pride? Why does the author choose to mention this in this book? How does it apply?
Essay Topic 2
After Dave is thrown into the drunk tank, he is offered alcohol twice: once by a fellow prisoner and once by Annie. Dave turns them both down. Discuss the significance of his actions.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, three bad guys break into Annie's house, terrorizing her and Dave in order to get answers from Dave. The reader learns the names of two of the men, Bobby Joe and Erik, but the third is only called "the man in the raincoat." Why is the reader not provided with a name for this man, the leader of the trio? Are there are other differences between "the man in the raincoat" and the other two men? Explain the significance of the omission of a name as well as other differences.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)