|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area of New Orleans does General Abshire live?
2. Where does Dave meet Didi Gee for lunch?
3. Why is Andres' left hand bandaged?
4. According to Dave, law enforcement in South Florida is the equivalent of what?
5. What rank did Jerome Abshire, Jr., hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Twelve, Dave says that he is caught in the lens. What does he mean by this?
2. What was Dave's father's feelings about guns?
3. What does Dave tell Captain Guidry about Cletus in Chapter Eleven?
4. What does the reader find out about General Abshire in Chapter Eight?
5. In Chapter Nine, Dave finally confronts Cletus about turning into a bad cop. How does Cletus respond?
6. Dave confronts Philip Murphy and plans to take him back to New Orleans. What is the outcome of this?
7. In Chapter Eight, when Dave sees Annie's date for the evening, what does he do?
8. What is known about the contract killer?
9. When Dave first begins tailing Cletus, he notices that Cletus is hung over and apparently has a real problem with alcohol. What does Dave predict for Cletus's day?
10. Why does Dave return to the Picayune's morgue in Chapter Twelve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Neon Rain" begins when Dave Robicheaux visits Angola penitentiary. The person he visits is hours away from execution, and there are groups both for and against his execution at the gate. Discuss what feelings or opinions Dave has about the death penalty in general and the man who is being executed.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effect of Fitzpatrick's death on Dave. Does he feel responsible? Guilty? If so, is there anything he could have done to stop it?
Essay Topic 3
Write about other meanings, besides the obvious physical one, that this statement at the end of Chapter 5 might have: "Then my trio of friends squeezed the remaining air out of my chest, the blood out of my ear, the light from my eyes."
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)