|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what era are the homes in the Garden District described in Chapter Eight?
2. For whom does Dave suggest setting high bond when talking with Captain Guidry?
3. Whom does Dave first contact about bringing in one of the men who killed Fitzpatrick?
4. How does Jimmie communicate with Dave from the hospital bed?
5. Whom does Dave observe watching his houseboat before driving away in a gunmetal gray Chrysler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Dave's father's feelings about guns?
2. In Chapter Eleven, Dave tells Annie that he has to hurt her. How does he hurt her?
3. In Chapter Twelve, Dave says that he is caught in the lens. What does he mean by this?
4. About what incident from her past does Annie tell Dave in Chapter Eleven?
5. What is known about the contract killer?
6. Andres is brought to Dave's houseboat in Chapter Nine by Didi Gee's men. Where has Dave seen Andres before?
7. What happens with Dave's job when he is reinstated?
8. What is in the Gulf, south of Morgan City?
9. What does the word "Pinkville" mean to Dave?
10. Where is Didi Gee's office located, and what type of businesses are run from there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Dave is thrown into the drunk tank, he is offered alcohol twice: once by a fellow prisoner and once by Annie. Dave turns them both down. Discuss the significance of his actions.
Essay Topic 2
By Chapter 2, the reader is introduced to two police officers, one who currently works in vice, and the other who used to work there. According to Dave, things never went well when he "had to deal with the people in vice." Discuss the impression you get about the type of people who work in vice. Be sure to discuss both Sergeant Motley and Cletus Purcel.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Fitzpatrick points out immigrants from Central America, both legal and illegal. Compare and contrast the attitudes or feelings about immigration from these four characters: Fitzpatrick, Didi Gee, Cletus, and Dave.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)