|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave prepare to eat before visiting Annie and the Times-Picayune in Chapter Eight?
2. What is Cletus' reason for killing Bobby Joe Starkweather?
3. Who was part of the Underground Railway?
4. Who translates for Dave when Didi Gee sends over the Nicaraguan with information in Chapter Nine?
5. Dave confesses to whom about having killed Philip Murphy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dave first begins tailing Cletus, he notices that Cletus is hung over and apparently has a real problem with alcohol. What does Dave predict for Cletus's day?
2. Where is Didi Gee's office located, and what type of businesses are run from there?
3. What does Dave do with the the glass from which the Nicaraguan is drinking, and why?
4. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
5. What happens to Andres after Dave leaves him in police custody?
6. Dave confronts Philip Murphy and plans to take him back to New Orleans. What is the outcome of this?
7. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
8. What does the reader find out about General Abshire in Chapter Eight?
9. Why does Didi Gee want Jimmie dead?
10. In Chapter Twelve, Dave says that he is caught in the lens. What does he mean by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evidence that Dave finds at Starkweather's fish camp, and what he then suspects from that information. How does he come to his conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, three bad guys break into Annie's house, terrorizing her and Dave in order to get answers from Dave. The reader learns the names of two of the men, Bobby Joe and Erik, but the third is only called "the man in the raincoat." Why is the reader not provided with a name for this man, the leader of the trio? Are there are other differences between "the man in the raincoat" and the other two men? Explain the significance of the omission of a name as well as other differences.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the theme of good versus evil citing examples from this book.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)