|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "It's going to rain frogs" at the end of Chapter Twelve?
2. How long has Captain Guidry worked as a cop?
3. In what area of New Orleans does General Abshire live?
4. In what type of car does Andres arrive at Dave's houseboat?
5. Didi Gee wants Philip Murphy out of the way because he is "screwing up some things" in what location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
2. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
3. What does Dave tell Captain Guidry about Cletus in Chapter Eleven?
4. As Dave sits in jail without enough money for bail, he thinks it is perhaps the lowest morning of his life with the exception of what incident?
5. When Dave first begins tailing Cletus, he notices that Cletus is hung over and apparently has a real problem with alcohol. What does Dave predict for Cletus's day?
6. In Chapter Ten, Dave contemplates how he is not making much of a difference in the world. His brother Jimmie understands that and puts his energy into what pursuits?
7. What is in the Gulf, south of Morgan City?
8. What does Annie do and feel when she wakes up to find Dave has gone following their first night together?
9. Why does Dave return to the Picayune's morgue in Chapter Twelve?
10. What happens when the Biloxi cops go to Murphy's house to search for his dead body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, three bad guys break into Annie's house, terrorizing her and Dave in order to get answers from Dave. The reader learns the names of two of the men, Bobby Joe and Erik, but the third is only called "the man in the raincoat." Why is the reader not provided with a name for this man, the leader of the trio? Are there are other differences between "the man in the raincoat" and the other two men? Explain the significance of the omission of a name as well as other differences.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evidence that Dave finds at Starkweather's fish camp, and what he then suspects from that information. How does he come to his conclusions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the incident in Chapter 10 in which Dave concludes that the evil of the Nazis "was held in check by the family who sacrificed their lives so their youngest member could live." What relevance does this tale have to the book?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)