|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rank did Jerome Abshire, Jr., hold?
2. Where is Dave's morning AA meeting located in Chapter Ten?
3. When Dave tails Cletus, where does he see Cletus go both at the beginning and end of his shift?
4. What did Dave's father give him when he went away to college?
5. Where do Dave and Annie move at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Andres is brought to Dave's houseboat in Chapter Nine by Didi Gee's men. Where has Dave seen Andres before?
2. What happens to Andres after Dave leaves him in police custody?
3. In Chapter Twelve, Dave says that he is caught in the lens. What does he mean by this?
4. About what incident from her past does Annie tell Dave in Chapter Eleven?
5. Why does Didi Gee want Jimmie dead?
6. What does the word "Pinkville" mean to Dave?
7. What does Dave do with the the glass from which the Nicaraguan is drinking, and why?
8. What happens when the Biloxi cops go to Murphy's house to search for his dead body?
9. Dave confronts Philip Murphy and plans to take him back to New Orleans. What is the outcome of this?
10. What does the reader find out about General Abshire in Chapter Eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the theme of good versus evil citing examples from this book.
Essay Topic 2
Referring to the four Cajun tales from Chapter 7 which Dave remembers hearing from his father, describe how they qualify as lessons by which to live one's life.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11, Captain Guidry mentions "hubris" as "that word they use when they're talking about characters in Shakespeare's plays." Hubris is similar to pride. Research and write about the origin of "hubris." Is the term the same as or slightly different from pride? Why does the author choose to mention this in this book? How does it apply?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)