|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Andres forced to drink in Nicaragua?
2. Dave realizes that his brother had been trying to trace initials on his chest on that day in the hospital after Jimmie's first surgery. Whose initials did Jimmie trace?
3. What did Dave's father give him when he went away to college?
4. Who recorded the song to which Dave listens with the lyrics: "Dig my grave with a silver spade. And see that my grave is kept clean. Oh dear Lord, lower me down on golden chain"?
5. Who tells Dave that he could have bonded him out in fifteen minutes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the Gulf, south of Morgan City?
2. In Chapter Eight, when Dave sees Annie's date for the evening, what does he do?
3. In Chapter Nine, Dave finally confronts Cletus about turning into a bad cop. How does Cletus respond?
4. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
5. What happens when the Biloxi cops go to Murphy's house to search for his dead body?
6. Where is Didi Gee's office located, and what type of businesses are run from there?
7. Andres is brought to Dave's houseboat in Chapter Nine by Didi Gee's men. Where has Dave seen Andres before?
8. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
9. In Chapter Eleven, Dave tells Annie that he has to hurt her. How does he hurt her?
10. About what incident from her past does Annie tell Dave in Chapter Eleven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of the Vietnam War on Dave personally. Be certain to address how it continues to affect his daily life.
Essay Topic 2
Write about other meanings, besides the obvious physical one, that this statement at the end of Chapter 5 might have: "Then my trio of friends squeezed the remaining air out of my chest, the blood out of my ear, the light from my eyes."
Essay Topic 3
After Dave is thrown into the drunk tank, he is offered alcohol twice: once by a fellow prisoner and once by Annie. Dave turns them both down. Discuss the significance of his actions.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)