|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "You must get up in the morning and brush your teeth in the toilet"?
2. Beauvoir is referred to as what in Chapter Ten?
3. Dave confesses to whom about having killed Philip Murphy?
4. Who wanted Starkweather dead?
5. Who tells Dave that Dave believes in the world that should be instead of the one that exists?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Eleven, Dave tells Annie that he has to hurt her. How does he hurt her?
2. As Dave sits in jail without enough money for bail, he thinks it is perhaps the lowest morning of his life with the exception of what incident?
3. What does Dave do with the the glass from which the Nicaraguan is drinking, and why?
4. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
5. In Chapter Eight, when Dave sees Annie's date for the evening, what does he do?
6. What does the reader find out about General Abshire in Chapter Eight?
7. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
8. What happens with Dave's job when he is reinstated?
9. In Chapter Ten, Dave meets Didi Gee at a restaurant. Describe the restaurant.
10. What does Dave tell Captain Guidry about Cletus in Chapter Eleven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Neon Rain" begins when Dave Robicheaux visits Angola penitentiary. The person he visits is hours away from execution, and there are groups both for and against his execution at the gate. Discuss what feelings or opinions Dave has about the death penalty in general and the man who is being executed.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evidence that Dave finds at Starkweather's fish camp, and what he then suspects from that information. How does he come to his conclusions?
Essay Topic 3
In the Epilogue, the reader learns that Dave is reinstated but decides to resign. In your opinion, what are Dave's reasons for resigning? As "The Neon Rain" is the first in the Dave Robicheaux series, what do you predict the second book will do with Dave's situation as a retired cop?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)