Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Dave question at headquarters about the dead girl?
2. Dave learns that he has angered the Colombians by doing what?
3. In Chapter Two, who says, "you're in over your head"?
4. What newspaper does Dave buy in Chapter One?
5. Who says that Wesley Potts "fronts points for the greasers"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does Andres give Dave about weapons?
2. Andres is brought to Dave's houseboat in Chapter Nine by Didi Gee's men. Where has Dave seen Andres before?
3. How does Cletus respond when Dave confronts him about provoking the situation with Segura and his man?
4. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
5. Dave confronts Cletus one last time in Chapter Eleven. What does he tell Cletus he can do?
6. What types of pistols does Dave own?
7. About what incident from her past does Annie tell Dave in Chapter Eleven?
8. About what does Dave bait Murphy in the beginning of Chapter Seven that elicits a reaction from Murphy?
9. As Dave sits in jail without enough money for bail, he thinks it is perhaps the lowest morning of his life with the exception of what incident?
10. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
Essay Topic 1
Referring to the four Cajun tales from Chapter 7 which Dave remembers hearing from his father, describe how they qualify as lessons by which to live one's life.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Fitzpatrick points out immigrants from Central America, both legal and illegal. Compare and contrast the attitudes or feelings about immigration from these four characters: Fitzpatrick, Didi Gee, Cletus, and Dave.
Essay Topic 3
The character Dave appears to an honest man who tries to be fair in Chapter 1. He treats Johnny Messina with respect, and he worries about a case outside of his jurisdiction when the sheriff does not order an autopsy. Yet Dave pulls out a five-inch Puma pocket knife that "could fillet bass like a barber's razor" in order to intimidate Wesley Potts. Is Dave still a good, honest cop? Does he have a different sense of what is right and fair froom other people might have? Explain your answer.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)