Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Dave question at headquarters about the dead girl?
2. Dave learns that he has angered the Colombians by doing what?
3. In Chapter Two, who says, "you're in over your head"?
4. What newspaper does Dave buy in Chapter One?
5. Who says that Wesley Potts "fronts points for the greasers"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does Andres give Dave about weapons?
2. Andres is brought to Dave's houseboat in Chapter Nine by Didi Gee's men. Where has Dave seen Andres before?
3. How does Cletus respond when Dave confronts him about provoking the situation with Segura and his man?
4. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
5. Dave confronts Cletus one last time in Chapter Eleven. What does he tell Cletus he can do?
6. What types of pistols does Dave own?
7. About what incident from her past does Annie tell Dave in Chapter Eleven?
8. About what does Dave bait Murphy in the beginning of Chapter Seven that elicits a reaction from Murphy?
9. As Dave sits in jail without enough money for bail, he thinks it is perhaps the lowest morning of his life with the exception of what incident?
10. Describe the incident Dave's platoon had with the Water Buffalo in Vietnam.
Compare the challenges Dave faces with sobriety with those challenges he faces with alcoholism.
In Chapter 11, Captain Guidry mentions "hubris" as "that word they use when they're talking about characters in Shakespeare's plays." Hubris is similar to pride. Research and write about the origin of "hubris." Is the term the same as or slightly different from pride? Why does the author choose to mention this in this book? How does it apply?
Discuss Dave's relationship with his father and his current feelings about the man. What impact does Dave's father have on him?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)