|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter One, it is said that the gambler's greatest desire would do what?
2. Segura is spotted in what color and brand of car in Chapter Four?
3. Who says, "Most people just roll over when violence comes into their lives"?
4. Approximately how long does Johnny Messina have to live when Dave meets with him?
5. What is Dave's punishment after he is accused of getting drunk and killing Fitzpatrick in the car accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Julio Segura in Chapter Two.
2. What is Fitzpatrick's theory about what Segura is doing?
3. Describe Cletus Purcel.
4. Why does Johnny, a criminal, want to give Dave, a cop, information? What information does he give him?
5. What happens to Dave after he has been given the cocktail?
6. How does Cletus respond when Dave confronts him about provoking the situation with Segura and his man?
7. Describe Sam Fitzpatrick as seen in Chapter Three?
8. What does Dave learn about Bobby Joe Starkweather from Wesley Potts?
9. What concoction does Bobby Joe feed to Dave in Chapter Seven, and why?
10. What clues make Dave suspicious of the Cataouatche Parish sheriff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, three bad guys break into Annie's house, terrorizing her and Dave in order to get answers from Dave. The reader learns the names of two of the men, Bobby Joe and Erik, but the third is only called "the man in the raincoat." Why is the reader not provided with a name for this man, the leader of the trio? Are there are other differences between "the man in the raincoat" and the other two men? Explain the significance of the omission of a name as well as other differences.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effect of Fitzpatrick's death on Dave. Does he feel responsible? Guilty? If so, is there anything he could have done to stop it?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the challenges Dave faces with sobriety with those challenges he faces with alcoholism.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)