|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Dave referring when he mentions "a guy that looked like he escaped form a Popsicle wrapper"?
2. Who says that Bobby Joe is better off as sausage links?
3. What newspaper does Dave buy in Chapter One?
4. Who says that Wesley Potts "fronts points for the greasers"?
5. From what TV show does Dave say it looks like Fitzpatrick escaped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Dave after he has been given the cocktail?
2. Why is Dave suspicious of the Cataouatche Parish deputies who pull him over?
3. What does Dave learn about his partner from Julio Segura?
4. Where is Dave stationed?
5. When and how does the reader first find out about Dave's time in Vietnam?
6. What does Didi Gee suggest the dead girl was doing before being killed?
7. About what does Dave bait Murphy in the beginning of Chapter Seven that elicits a reaction from Murphy?
8. Describe Sam Fitzpatrick as seen in Chapter Three?
9. Describe Johnny Messina in Chapter One.
10. What is Fitzpatrick's theory about what Segura is doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character Dave appears to an honest man who tries to be fair in Chapter 1. He treats Johnny Messina with respect, and he worries about a case outside of his jurisdiction when the sheriff does not order an autopsy. Yet Dave pulls out a five-inch Puma pocket knife that "could fillet bass like a barber's razor" in order to intimidate Wesley Potts. Is Dave still a good, honest cop? Does he have a different sense of what is right and fair froom other people might have? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write about the theme of good versus evil citing examples from this book.
Essay Topic 3
Write about other meanings, besides the obvious physical one, that this statement at the end of Chapter 5 might have: "Then my trio of friends squeezed the remaining air out of my chest, the blood out of my ear, the light from my eyes."
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)