|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Julio Segura is real garbage"?
2. What is Dave drinking while he waits for Fitzpatrick to pick him up in Chapter Five?
3. According to Potts, Segura's men once worked in what Latin American country?
4. Who's father was a milkman in the Garden District?
5. Who is Jimmie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cletus Purcel.
2. What does Cletus do that escalates the situation with Segura in Chapter Four?
3. What does Dave do with the the glass from which the Nicaraguan is drinking, and why?
4. What does Dave do before asking Andres questions, and why?
5. What concoction does Bobby Joe feed to Dave in Chapter Seven, and why?
6. What happens to Dave after he has been given the cocktail?
7. What does Didi Gee suggest the dead girl was doing before being killed?
8. What piece of advice does Dave recall from his father in Chapter Seven?
9. What does Dave learn about Bobby Joe Starkweather from Wesley Potts?
10. What is in the Gulf, south of Morgan City?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of the Vietnam War on Dave personally. Be certain to address how it continues to affect his daily life.
Essay Topic 2
After Dave is thrown into the drunk tank, he is offered alcohol twice: once by a fellow prisoner and once by Annie. Dave turns them both down. Discuss the significance of his actions.
Essay Topic 3
The character Dave appears to an honest man who tries to be fair in Chapter 1. He treats Johnny Messina with respect, and he worries about a case outside of his jurisdiction when the sheriff does not order an autopsy. Yet Dave pulls out a five-inch Puma pocket knife that "could fillet bass like a barber's razor" in order to intimidate Wesley Potts. Is Dave still a good, honest cop? Does he have a different sense of what is right and fair froom other people might have? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)