|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the store in which Dave buys a newspaper smell like?
2. Over what lake in New Orleans do Dave and Cletus drive after leaving Segura's?
3. What newspaper does Dave buy in Chapter One?
4. Who is Lovelace Deshotels?
5. What is L.J. Potts doing outside of Johnny's cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cletus respond when Dave confronts him about provoking the situation with Segura and his man?
2. What happens when Dave is fishing on Bayou Lafourche in Cataouatche Parish?
3. Where is Dave stationed?
4. What does Dave learn about Bobby Joe Starkweather from Wesley Potts?
5. What does Didi Gee suggest the dead girl was doing before being killed?
6. Why does Johnny, a criminal, want to give Dave, a cop, information? What information does he give him?
7. What jobs did the Robicheaux brothers have in their youth?
8. What happens to Dave after he has been given the cocktail?
9. What does Dave learn in Chapter Five that is related to the execution of Johnny Messina.
10. What does Dave learn about the woman who, according to Fitzpatrick, is a possible witness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Fitzpatrick points out immigrants from Central America, both legal and illegal. Compare and contrast the attitudes or feelings about immigration from these four characters: Fitzpatrick, Didi Gee, Cletus, and Dave.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effect of Fitzpatrick's death on Dave. Does he feel responsible? Guilty? If so, is there anything he could have done to stop it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of the Vietnam War on Dave personally. Be certain to address how it continues to affect his daily life.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)