|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Seven, whom does Dave call to harass from the bar?
2. According to Dave, possession is how many years in Louisiana?
3. To whom does Dave initially go for information about finding Bobby Joe Starkweather?
4. What is Dave's punishment after he is accused of getting drunk and killing Fitzpatrick in the car accident?
5. What color are Annie's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Johnny, a criminal, want to give Dave, a cop, information? What information does he give him?
2. What is Fitzpatrick's theory about what Segura is doing?
3. What does Cletus do that escalates the situation with Segura in Chapter Four?
4. How does Cletus respond when Dave confronts him about provoking the situation with Segura and his man?
5. What happens when Dave is fishing on Bayou Lafourche in Cataouatche Parish?
6. What jobs did the Robicheaux brothers have in their youth?
7. What piece of advice does Dave recall from his father in Chapter Seven?
8. Describe Cletus Purcel.
9. About what does Dave bait Murphy in the beginning of Chapter Seven that elicits a reaction from Murphy?
10. Dave sometimes thinks of whom as his "father's misplaced seed"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character Dave appears to an honest man who tries to be fair in Chapter 1. He treats Johnny Messina with respect, and he worries about a case outside of his jurisdiction when the sheriff does not order an autopsy. Yet Dave pulls out a five-inch Puma pocket knife that "could fillet bass like a barber's razor" in order to intimidate Wesley Potts. Is Dave still a good, honest cop? Does he have a different sense of what is right and fair froom other people might have? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write about other meanings, besides the obvious physical one, that this statement at the end of Chapter 5 might have: "Then my trio of friends squeezed the remaining air out of my chest, the blood out of my ear, the light from my eyes."
Essay Topic 3
In the Epilogue, the reader learns that Dave is reinstated but decides to resign. In your opinion, what are Dave's reasons for resigning? As "The Neon Rain" is the first in the Dave Robicheaux series, what do you predict the second book will do with Dave's situation as a retired cop?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)