|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The three patrol cars that arrive at Annie's house come from what precinct?
2. Where does Dave find Bobby Joe Starkweather in Chapter Seven?
3. How does Dave survive Fitzpatrick's fate?
4. To whom is Cletus' wife sending their money?
5. In Chapter Two, who says, "put his head in a toilet"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concoction does Bobby Joe feed to Dave in Chapter Seven, and why?
2. What does Dave learn about the woman who, according to Fitzpatrick, is a possible witness?
3. What is Fitzpatrick's theory about what Segura is doing?
4. Where is Dave stationed?
5. How does Cletus respond when Dave confronts him about provoking the situation with Segura and his man?
6. What happens when Dave is fishing on Bayou Lafourche in Cataouatche Parish?
7. Why is Dave suspicious of the Cataouatche Parish deputies who pull him over?
8. What happens to Dave after he has been given the cocktail?
9. What types of pistols does Dave own?
10. What clues make Dave suspicious of the Cataouatche Parish sheriff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Referring to the four Cajun tales from Chapter 7 which Dave remembers hearing from his father, describe how they qualify as lessons by which to live one's life.
Essay Topic 2
The character Dave appears to an honest man who tries to be fair in Chapter 1. He treats Johnny Messina with respect, and he worries about a case outside of his jurisdiction when the sheriff does not order an autopsy. Yet Dave pulls out a five-inch Puma pocket knife that "could fillet bass like a barber's razor" in order to intimidate Wesley Potts. Is Dave still a good, honest cop? Does he have a different sense of what is right and fair froom other people might have? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write about other meanings, besides the obvious physical one, that this statement at the end of Chapter 5 might have: "Then my trio of friends squeezed the remaining air out of my chest, the blood out of my ear, the light from my eyes."
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)