|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Dave and Cletus if they "salted the mine shaft"?
2. What is is blaring from the maroon car that Dave flags down in Chapter Two?
3. Where does Dave go to hear Annie's string quarter play?
4. In Chapter Two, who says, "put his head in a toilet"?
5. What name do the three men in Chapter Three call Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, what is it about the dead girl that makes Dave suspicious?
2. What does Dave learn in Chapter Five that is related to the execution of Johnny Messina.
3. Dave sometimes thinks of whom as his "father's misplaced seed"?
4. When and how does the reader first find out about Dave's time in Vietnam?
5. What happens to Dave after he has been given the cocktail?
6. Where, and with whom, does Dave greet the dawn at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
7. What types of pistols does Dave own?
8. Why is Dave suspicious of the Cataouatche Parish deputies who pull him over?
9. Where is Dave stationed?
10. What piece of advice does Dave recall from his father in Chapter Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Neon Rain" begins when Dave Robicheaux visits Angola penitentiary. The person he visits is hours away from execution, and there are groups both for and against his execution at the gate. Discuss what feelings or opinions Dave has about the death penalty in general and the man who is being executed.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evidence that Dave finds at Starkweather's fish camp, and what he then suspects from that information. How does he come to his conclusions?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the challenges Dave faces with sobriety with those challenges he faces with alcoholism.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)