|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Dave initially go for information about finding Bobby Joe Starkweather?
2. Who says, "Most people just roll over when violence comes into their lives"?
3. The three patrol cars that arrive at Annie's house come from what precinct?
4. Segura is spotted in what color and brand of car in Chapter Four?
5. In Chapter Seven, who is mentioned as having served as a Green Beret in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concoction does Bobby Joe feed to Dave in Chapter Seven, and why?
2. Why is Fitzpatrick angry with Dave in Chapter Five?
3. What does Dave learn about the woman who, according to Fitzpatrick, is a possible witness?
4. Describe Julio Segura in Chapter Two.
5. What types of pistols does Dave own?
6. Discuss Cletus' marital problems.
7. When and how does the reader first find out about Dave's time in Vietnam?
8. Describe Sam Fitzpatrick as seen in Chapter Three?
9. Why does Johnny, a criminal, want to give Dave, a cop, information? What information does he give him?
10. What does Cletus do that escalates the situation with Segura in Chapter Four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evidence that Dave finds at Starkweather's fish camp, and what he then suspects from that information. How does he come to his conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the incident in Chapter 10 in which Dave concludes that the evil of the Nazis "was held in check by the family who sacrificed their lives so their youngest member could live." What relevance does this tale have to the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the challenges Dave faces with sobriety with those challenges he faces with alcoholism.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)