|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Five, who believes that Dave is covering for Cletus?
2. Where did Dave grow up?
3. According to Dave, possession is how many years in Louisiana?
4. When Dave leaves Annie on his houseboat in Chapter Six, where does he go and what does he do?
5. In Chapter Five, who says he is on a short leash?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, what is it about the dead girl that makes Dave suspicious?
2. What happens to Dave after he has been given the cocktail?
3. Why does Johnny, a criminal, want to give Dave, a cop, information? What information does he give him?
4. What is Fitzpatrick's theory about what Segura is doing?
5. Describe Julio Segura in Chapter Two.
6. Where, and with whom, does Dave greet the dawn at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
7. What concoction does Bobby Joe feed to Dave in Chapter Seven, and why?
8. What does Dave do to convince Annie Ballard that he is a New Orleans's cop?
9. Why is Fitzpatrick angry with Dave in Chapter Five?
10. What piece of advice does Dave recall from his father in Chapter Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character Dave appears to an honest man who tries to be fair in Chapter 1. He treats Johnny Messina with respect, and he worries about a case outside of his jurisdiction when the sheriff does not order an autopsy. Yet Dave pulls out a five-inch Puma pocket knife that "could fillet bass like a barber's razor" in order to intimidate Wesley Potts. Is Dave still a good, honest cop? Does he have a different sense of what is right and fair froom other people might have? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dave's observation that "when these guys ceased to fill a need for somebody else, they would be taken off the board."
Essay Topic 3
By Chapter 2, the reader is introduced to two police officers, one who currently works in vice, and the other who used to work there. According to Dave, things never went well when he "had to deal with the people in vice." Discuss the impression you get about the type of people who work in vice. Be sure to discuss both Sergeant Motley and Cletus Purcel.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)