|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Five, who says he is on a short leash?
2. Whom does Dave question at headquarters about the dead girl?
3. What is Dave drinking while he waits for Fitzpatrick to pick him up in Chapter Five?
4. According to Dave, what is a busthead boilermaker?
5. To whom is Cletus' wife sending their money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cletus Purcel.
2. Describe Sam Fitzpatrick as seen in Chapter Three?
3. What happens to Dave after he has been given the cocktail?
4. What concoction does Bobby Joe feed to Dave in Chapter Seven, and why?
5. About what does Dave bait Murphy in the beginning of Chapter Seven that elicits a reaction from Murphy?
6. Where, and with whom, does Dave greet the dawn at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
7. What does Dave learn in Chapter Five that is related to the execution of Johnny Messina.
8. Dave sometimes thinks of whom as his "father's misplaced seed"?
9. What does Dave learn about his partner from Julio Segura?
10. Why does Johnny, a criminal, want to give Dave, a cop, information? What information does he give him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character Dave appears to an honest man who tries to be fair in Chapter 1. He treats Johnny Messina with respect, and he worries about a case outside of his jurisdiction when the sheriff does not order an autopsy. Yet Dave pulls out a five-inch Puma pocket knife that "could fillet bass like a barber's razor" in order to intimidate Wesley Potts. Is Dave still a good, honest cop? Does he have a different sense of what is right and fair froom other people might have? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, three bad guys break into Annie's house, terrorizing her and Dave in order to get answers from Dave. The reader learns the names of two of the men, Bobby Joe and Erik, but the third is only called "the man in the raincoat." Why is the reader not provided with a name for this man, the leader of the trio? Are there are other differences between "the man in the raincoat" and the other two men? Explain the significance of the omission of a name as well as other differences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of the Vietnam War on Dave personally. Be certain to address how it continues to affect his daily life.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)