|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work had Dave's father done on Marsh Island?
2. Who says that Wesley Potts "fronts points for the greasers"?
3. Where does Dave find Bobby Joe Starkweather in Chapter Seven?
4. What is Dave drinking while he waits for Fitzpatrick to pick him up in Chapter Five?
5. What kind of gun is Cletus using in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how does the reader first find out about Dave's time in Vietnam?
2. What does Didi Gee suggest the dead girl was doing before being killed?
3. Describe Cletus Purcel.
4. What happens when Dave is fishing on Bayou Lafourche in Cataouatche Parish?
5. Where is Dave stationed?
6. What does Dave learn about his partner from Julio Segura?
7. What happens to Dave after he has been given the cocktail?
8. What does Cletus do that escalates the situation with Segura in Chapter Four?
9. Why is Dave suspicious of the Cataouatche Parish deputies who pull him over?
10. Describe Johnny Messina in Chapter One.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, Captain Guidry mentions "hubris" as "that word they use when they're talking about characters in Shakespeare's plays." Hubris is similar to pride. Research and write about the origin of "hubris." Is the term the same as or slightly different from pride? Why does the author choose to mention this in this book? How does it apply?
Essay Topic 2
"The Neon Rain" begins when Dave Robicheaux visits Angola penitentiary. The person he visits is hours away from execution, and there are groups both for and against his execution at the gate. Discuss what feelings or opinions Dave has about the death penalty in general and the man who is being executed.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, three bad guys break into Annie's house, terrorizing her and Dave in order to get answers from Dave. The reader learns the names of two of the men, Bobby Joe and Erik, but the third is only called "the man in the raincoat." Why is the reader not provided with a name for this man, the leader of the trio? Are there are other differences between "the man in the raincoat" and the other two men? Explain the significance of the omission of a name as well as other differences.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)