|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gail Lopez?
2. According to Dave, possession is how many years in Louisiana?
3. According to Potts, Segura's men once worked in what Latin American country?
4. Where do Dave and Cletus share a pizza in Chapter Four?
5. In Chapter One, it is said that the gambler's greatest desire would do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave learn about Bobby Joe Starkweather from Wesley Potts?
2. Describe Julio Segura in Chapter Two.
3. Why is Dave suspicious of the Cataouatche Parish deputies who pull him over?
4. About what does Dave bait Murphy in the beginning of Chapter Seven that elicits a reaction from Murphy?
5. Describe Johnny Messina in Chapter One.
6. What does Dave do to convince Annie Ballard that he is a New Orleans's cop?
7. What does Dave learn about his partner from Julio Segura?
8. Where, and with whom, does Dave greet the dawn at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
9. Dave sometimes thinks of whom as his "father's misplaced seed"?
10. What types of pistols does Dave own?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Due to the nature of the first person viewpoint, the reader knows what Dave thinks of his brother, Jimmie. What do you believe Jimmie thinks of and feels for his brother? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the challenges Dave faces with sobriety with those challenges he faces with alcoholism.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11, Captain Guidry mentions "hubris" as "that word they use when they're talking about characters in Shakespeare's plays." Hubris is similar to pride. Research and write about the origin of "hubris." Is the term the same as or slightly different from pride? Why does the author choose to mention this in this book? How does it apply?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)