|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what TV show does Dave say it looks like Fitzpatrick escaped?
2. What is is blaring from the maroon car that Dave flags down in Chapter Two?
3. Whose bald head is described as "a rock with weeds starting to grow on it"?
4. What is Dave first answer when Annie asks him what is wrong in Chapter Six?
5. When Dave leaves Annie on his houseboat in Chapter Six, where does he go and what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cletus Purcel.
2. Why does Johnny, a criminal, want to give Dave, a cop, information? What information does he give him?
3. Why is Fitzpatrick angry with Dave in Chapter Five?
4. What does Dave learn about his partner from Julio Segura?
5. Dave sometimes thinks of whom as his "father's misplaced seed"?
6. Why is Dave suspicious of the Cataouatche Parish deputies who pull him over?
7. About what does Dave bait Murphy in the beginning of Chapter Seven that elicits a reaction from Murphy?
8. Where, and with whom, does Dave greet the dawn at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
9. How does Cletus respond when Dave confronts him about provoking the situation with Segura and his man?
10. What happens when Dave is fishing on Bayou Lafourche in Cataouatche Parish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Due to the nature of the first person viewpoint, the reader knows what Dave thinks of his brother, Jimmie. What do you believe Jimmie thinks of and feels for his brother? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dave's observation that "when these guys ceased to fill a need for somebody else, they would be taken off the board."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dave's relationship with his father and his current feelings about the man. What impact does Dave's father have on him?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)