|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what TV show does Dave say it looks like Fitzpatrick escaped?
2. To whom is Cletus' wife sending their money?
3. Whom does Johnny describe as a "mummy wrapped in black rags"?
4. Who is the man with the tattoo in Chapter Three?
5. To whom does Dave initially go for information about finding Bobby Joe Starkweather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dave is fishing on Bayou Lafourche in Cataouatche Parish?
2. What types of pistols does Dave own?
3. What concoction does Bobby Joe feed to Dave in Chapter Seven, and why?
4. What does Dave do to convince Annie Ballard that he is a New Orleans's cop?
5. What piece of advice does Dave recall from his father in Chapter Seven?
6. When and how does the reader first find out about Dave's time in Vietnam?
7. How does Cletus respond when Dave confronts him about provoking the situation with Segura and his man?
8. Where, and with whom, does Dave greet the dawn at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
9. What jobs did the Robicheaux brothers have in their youth?
10. About what does Dave bait Murphy in the beginning of Chapter Seven that elicits a reaction from Murphy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the incident in Chapter 10 in which Dave concludes that the evil of the Nazis "was held in check by the family who sacrificed their lives so their youngest member could live." What relevance does this tale have to the book?
Essay Topic 2
Due to the nature of the first person viewpoint, the reader knows what Dave thinks of his brother, Jimmie. What do you believe Jimmie thinks of and feels for his brother? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write about other meanings, besides the obvious physical one, that this statement at the end of Chapter 5 might have: "Then my trio of friends squeezed the remaining air out of my chest, the blood out of my ear, the light from my eyes."
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)