• Readers are introduced to the protagonist, Dave Robicheaux, a detective with the New Orleans Police Department.
• Dave visits Johnny Massina, a snitch, at Angola Penitentiary.
• Massina is about to be executed for the murder of a young woman.
• Massina tells Dave that he has heard a rumor that some guys are going to kill Dave.
• The rumor comes from the brother of Wesley Potts who is also in Angola.
• Dave tells his partner, Cletus Purcel, about the rumor.
• Cletus knows Wesley Potts and they visit him.
• Potts is afraid of the people with whom he works and does not want to to speak to the cops.
• After Purcel threatens Potts without success, Dave asks for time alone with Potts.
• Potts says that he was at a party at the home of a Nicaraguan criminal in charge of drug dealing and prostitution.
• The criminal, Segura, wants Dave killed...
This section contains 2,199 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)