Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dan particularly not like about Hippies?
2. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
3. How much did Dan's grandmother receive for sitting on a blanket and having her picture taken?
4. What did Dan and Grover say about Jumbo's ability to fix Nerburn's NIssan truck?
5. What request did the Indian woman have when she called Nerburn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dan tell Nerburn about the prairie dogs?
2. By what means did white men attempt to exterminate the Indians?
3. What did Dan say one had to do to be like an Indian?
4. Describe Grover's drive to Annie's house in the beginning of Chapter 20.
5. According to Dan, why are white people in trouble?
6. What happened to Nerburn's black Nissan truck when he got back in it to drive away?
7. What was Dan sprinkling into the fire when Nerburn drove up to his house on the next morning in Chapter Two, "Burn Offerings" and what was the significance of this?
8. What were some of the reasons why Nerburn considered going home after his lunch with Grover and Dan?
9. What was the difference between Lincoln and Jesus in Dan's eyes?
10. Describe Annie's yard and other things outside her house.
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of these questions as essay topics:
1) What stages did the writing of the book go through and what was the final decision on how it should be written?
2) Explain the significance of tobacco and sweet grass to the Indians. What did the Indians do with those two things?
3) Describe the different stages the white men went through in their dealings with the Indians. How did it become worse and worse?
Essay Topic 2
1) Why did Nerburn decide to write Neither Wolf Nor Dog? What did he hope the book would do?
2) Describe Dan and Wenonah.
3) Why did Dan choose Nerburn to write the book?
4) Answer two of the three questions.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of these three topics:
1) Describe the Hippie family they saw at the truck stop. What indicated they were "Wannabes"? Why did they make Dan nervous but not Grover?
2) Which group, the HIppies or the Yuppies, did Dan dislike more? Why?
3) When the three were on the road again, what was it that Dan and Grover did that brought Nerburn to tears? To what did he compare it in his past?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)