|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chief in Montana was mentioned?
(a) Chief Lone Wolf.
(b) Chief Black Elk.
(c) Chief Running Bear.
(d) Chief Joseph.
2. How was the land to the east of the Missouri river different from the land to the west?
(a) It was a land of dreamers.
(b) It was formed by a glacier.
(c) It was more fertile.
(d) It was a land of freedom rather than labor.
3. What did Nerburn dream about at Wounded Knee?
(a) A multi-colored bird.
(b) A Pegasus.
(c) His son.
(d) A magical deer.
4. What did Dan do each time he stopped on his walk around the fenced area?
(a) Chanted a prayer in Lakota.
(b) Tied a small cloth bundle from his bag to the fence.
(c) Prayed to the North, South, East and West.
(d) Sang a song in Lakota.
5. What gift did April give Nerburn?
(a) A feather.
(b) A drawing.
(c) Some wild flowers.
(d) A bright stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Dan speak or write, according to the grandfathers?
2. How many times did Dan stop on his walk around the fenced area?
3. A flash of lightning illuminated a billboard with a quote from what book in the Bible?
4. To what was the monument at Wounded Knee dedicated?
5. How old was Annie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dan take out of his large bag four times during the time he circled the fenced area?
2. Why was Thoreau mentioned in the conversation?
3. Of what did the latticework arch between the pillars at Wounded Knee remind Nerburn?
4. Dan said the white people had made them blanket Indians hanging around the trading post for handouts. What did he say they were now?
5. How do whites treat history of Lincoln differently than the history of Jesus?
6. Dan asked Nerburn to help him and Nerburn wanted to do that but what else did Nerburn feel he needed to do?
7. According to Dan, why are white people in trouble?
8. Dan said the trouble wasn't alcohol for the Indians. What did he say the trouble was?
9. What did Dan take out of the trunk of the car at Wounded Knee?
10. The monument at Wounded Knee was erected in memory of what?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)