|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why couldn't Dan speak or write, according to the grandfathers?
(a) He hadn't graduated from Haskell.
(b) He had married a white woman.
(c) He wasn't poetic enough.
(d) He had too much anger.
2. What did Dan take out of the trunk at Wounded Knee?
(a) A dream-catcher.
(b) A leather-bound book.
(c) A drum.
(d) A large beaded animal skin bag.
3. Grover had a tattoo of what on his right arm?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A heart.
(c) A scull.
(d) A woman's name.
4. Describe Danelle.
(a) Plump with bright shiny black eyes.
(b) Skinny with the gaunt beauty of a bar queen.
(c) Medium-build and not very attractive.
(d) Voluptuous with a movie star's beauty.
5. What did Grover do when they got back on the road?
(a) He called out the signs they passed.
(b) He started ranting against the whites.
(c) He started telling Lakota legends.
(d) He started singing a Lakota song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan say he sometimes imagines doing in revenge for the whites taking everything sacred to Indians?
2. How did Dan's grandfathers give him the song?
3. What was the song that Dan chanted about?
4. What was the name of Danelle's mother?
5. To what did Nerburn compare what was happening on the grassy field below them in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan said the trouble wasn't alcohol for the Indians. What did he say the trouble was?
2. Name some of the signs along the road in Chapter 22.
3. Describe Annie.
4. Describe Danelle and Delvin, Dan's other granddaughter and her husband.
5. What did Dan say one had to do to be like an Indian?
6. What did Dan take out of the trunk of the car at Wounded Knee?
7. What stood in the middle of the plot that was through the pillars?
8. Describe Grover's drive to Annie's house in the beginning of Chapter 20.
9. Describe what was in the bundle Grover took out of his trunk that he and Dan unwrapped in Chapter 12, "Welcome to Our Land"?
10. What are some of the bad things the white men did to the Indians?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)