|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What racial slur did Nerburn overhear in the Homestead town restaurant?
(b) "Red Skins."
(c) "Prairie NIggers."
2. what did the drunk Indian woman in the restaurant in the Homestead town look like?
(a) Like a movie star Indian with long black hair.
(b) Fat in a long long Indian skirt.
(c) Skinny in very tight jeans.
(d) Medium build in jeans and a white shirt.
3. What is a wipoye?
(a) A medicine bag.
(b) An Indian chant.
(c) A dream-catcher.
(d) An Indian wise woman.
4. Why was Sitting Bull great?
(a) He won many battles.
(b) He had a large tribe under him.
(c) He hated the white man.
(d) He didn't rule, he led.
5. What reason did Nerburn give for not wearing a watch?
(a) He keeps losing them.
(b) They make him too aware of time.
(c) They make him nervous.
(d) They feel heavy on the wrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nerburn remember as they drove toward the rocky out croppings?
2. What gift had the Creator given Dan?
3. How did Dan describe the rolling foothills?
4. When Delvin asked Nerburn if he was writing a book like Black Elk Speaks, what did he answer?
5. According to Indians what people are closest to God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what did the latticework arch between the pillars at Wounded Knee remind Nerburn?
2. What did Dan answer when Nerburn asked him if the Pow Wow was their destination?
3. Describe what was in the bundle Grover took out of his trunk that he and Dan unwrapped in Chapter 12, "Welcome to Our Land"?
4. Describe Danelle and Delvin, Dan's other granddaughter and her husband.
5. What was the difference between Lincoln and Jesus in Dan's eyes?
6. Describe Annie's house.
7. What was the advice Dan gave Nerburn in Chapter 12, "Welcome to Our Land"?
8. Why was Thoreau mentioned in the conversation?
9. Describe Annie's yard and other things outside her house.
10. Dan asked Nerburn to help him and Nerburn wanted to do that but what else did Nerburn feel he needed to do?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)