|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe the Hippie man.
(a) He was big and brawny with a long straight ponytail.
(b) He was fat with two braids.
(c) He was medium-build with long stringy hair.
(d) He was gaunt with a braided ponytail.
2. When was a man supposed to wear an eagle feather?
(a) When he found it in nature.
(b) When he earned it in battle or a veteran gave it to him.
(c) During a Pow Wow.
(d) When his mother gave it to him.
3. What was Grover doing when Dan and Nerburn came to visit him?
(a) Reading one of Nerburn's books.
(b) Fixing his Buick.
(d) Watching a black and white cowboy movie on television.
4. What color was Grover's Buick?
5. What does "wakan" mean in English?
(a) Far away.
(b) Secret or hidden.
(c) Young or innocent.
(d) Sacred or filled with power.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of vehicle was the Hippie family traveling?
2. Who did Nerburn sit next to in the Buick on the trip?
3. Why did the woman from New York say the Red Road books were not helpful in finding out about the Indians?
4. What Indian people did Dan say were killing Indians?
5. From what college did Dan's grandson graduate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the bad things the white men did to the Indians?
2. Explain the Indians' philosophy and practice of silence and how it differs from the white mens' way.
3. What stood in the middle of the plot that was through the pillars?
4. Describe what was in the bundle Grover took out of his trunk that he and Dan unwrapped in Chapter 12, "Welcome to Our Land"?
5. Dan asked Nerburn to read one of the papers he had written using the Elder's notes and clippings. Describe that paper.
6. Dan said the trouble wasn't alcohol for the Indians. What did he say the trouble was?
7. What did Nerburn find when he returned to Dan's house several months later?
8. Why did Kent Nerburn want to write this book?
9. Describe the Homestead town they visited in Chapter 15.
10. What were some of the reasons why Nerburn considered going home after his lunch with Grover and Dan?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)