|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "wakan" mean in English?
(a) Far away.
(b) Secret or hidden.
(c) Sacred or filled with power.
(d) Young or innocent.
2. How much did Dan's grandmother receive for sitting on a blanket and having her picture taken?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A quarter.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) A dime.
3. How did the Indians measure people when times were bad?
(a) By whether they were able to survive.
(b) By whether they were rich.
(c) By how they shared.
(d) By whether they were poor.
4. Who did Nerburn sit next to in the Buick on the trip?
5. Describe the Hippie man.
(a) He was medium-build with long stringy hair.
(b) He was gaunt with a braided ponytail.
(c) He was big and brawny with a long straight ponytail.
(d) He was fat with two braids.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Grover, Dan and Nerburn have for lunch at Grover's house?
2. How old was Grover?
3. What did the Lakota people call the Creator?
4. From what college did Dan's grandson graduate?
5. How far apart were the houses in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. By what means did white men attempt to exterminate the Indians?
2. Describe Grover.
3. Describe the scene in Grover's Buick on the way back that moved Nerburn to tears.
4. What did Nerburn find when he returned to Dan's house several months later?
5. Dan asked Nerburn to read one of the papers he had written using the Elder's notes and clippings. Describe that paper.
6. What did Dan tell Nerburn about the prairie dogs?
7. Explain the Indians' philosophy and practice of silence and how it differs from the white mens' way.
8. What happened to Nerburn's black Nissan truck when he got back in it to drive away?
9. Who passed Grover as he drove 45 mph on the trip they were taking?
10. Describe Grover's house.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)