|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Lakota word "wasichu" mean in English?
(d) White man.
2. When was a man supposed to wear an eagle feather?
(a) When his mother gave it to him.
(b) When he earned it in battle or a veteran gave it to him.
(c) When he found it in nature.
(d) During a Pow Wow.
3. What did the Lakota people consider a sacred offering?
(a) River stones.
(b) Buffalo hides.
4. What request did the Indian woman have when she called Nerburn?
(a) She asked him to sell her his two books.
(b) She asked him to visit her grandfather, an Elder.
(c) She asked him to speak to her grandfather on the phone,.
(d) She asked him if she could visit him.
5. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
(a) By large black capital letters.
(b) Each reservation was a different pastel color mass.
(c) By slightly off-colored squares surrounded by dotted lines.
(d) They were surrounded by solid red lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nerburn buy at the local store before proceeding to the old Indian's house?
2. How far apart were the houses in the village?
3. What was Grover doing when Dan and Nerburn came to visit him?
4. What movie star did Dan like?
5. Who was in "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show" for awhile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan asked Nerburn to read one of the papers he had written using the Elder's notes and clippings. Describe that paper.
2. Where was Nerburn sitting in Grover's Buick on the trip he took with Grover and Dan and what was he doing?
3. What did Dan give Nerburn and what did Nerburn do with them?
4. What were some of the things discussed by Dan and Grover and Nerburn as they watched an old cowboy and Indian movie on television?
5. By what means did white men attempt to exterminate the Indians?
6. Explain the Indians' philosophy and practice of silence and how it differs from the white mens' way.
7. Why did Kent Nerburn want to write this book?
8. What did Dan tell Nerburn about the prairie dogs?
9. Who was the white lady Grover mentioned and what had she wanted to do?
10. Describe the scene in Grover's Buick on the way back that moved Nerburn to tears.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)