|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Dan and Nerburn listening to as they sat on Dan's front porch?
(a) Dan's granddaughter singing as she worked.
(b) The larksong and the morning wind.
(c) Fatback's barking.
(d) The approach of Grover's car.
2. What Indian people did Dan say were killing Indians?
(a) The Indians who became rich and moved away.
(b) The Indians who sold the sacred ways.
(c) The Indians who adopted white ways.
(d) The Indians who intermarried with whites.
3. What was Nerburn's first inclination to do after leaving his Nissan at Jumbo's?
(a) He wanted to stay in the village and explore it.
(b) He wanted to go to the motel and sleep till it was over.
(c) He wanted to take the trip with Grover and Dan.
(d) He wanted to go to Dan's house and work on the book.
4. What was the only sign of industriousness that could be seen in the village?
(a) The men working on their cars.
(b) The line of laundry flapping in the wind behind each house.
(c) The cleanly swept sidewalks in front of the houses.
(d) The gardens behind each house.
5. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
(a) They were surrounded by solid red lines.
(b) By large black capital letters.
(c) By slightly off-colored squares surrounded by dotted lines.
(d) Each reservation was a different pastel color mass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was Grover's Buick?
2. What sentence, according to Nerburn, sums up America?
3. Dan's lifestyle was like whose?
4. What was inside the three-sided wooden structure Nerburn came across on his motorcycle trip?
5. What request did the Indian woman have when she called Nerburn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Nerburn sitting in Grover's Buick on the trip he took with Grover and Dan and what was he doing?
2. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard and what was he referring to?
3. Describe Dan's house.
4. Why did Kent Nerburn want to write this book?
5. Why wasn't Grover bothered by the presence of the Hippies?
6. What did Dan tell Nerburn about the prairie dogs?
7. Explain the Indians' philosophy and practice of silence and how it differs from the white mens' way.
8. Describe the telephone call Nerburn got.
9. Describe where Nerburn's Nissan truck ended up.
10. What was in the shoe boxes Dan gave Nerburn?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)