|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dan, how do white people learn?
(a) By reading.
(b) By experimenting.
(c) By talking.
(d) By listening.
2. What color was Grover's Buick?
3. How do Dan and the Lakota people feel about being called Indians?
(a) They don't care about something like a name.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are fighting mad.
(d) They are highly insulted.
4. To what did Grover compare the white man's religious Communion in the Lakota society?
(c) The spring crop.
5. What was the Indian philosophy of ownership?
(a) If you owned a lot of things others looked up to you,.
(b) The more things you owned, the better.
(c) You owned it as long as you needed it then passed it on.
(d) No one dare violate one's ownership of something.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Dan's grandmother receive for sitting on a blanket and having her picture taken?
2. Why did the woman from New York say the Red Road books were not helpful in finding out about the Indians?
3. From what college did Dan's grandson graduate?
4. Why did Dan feel it was stupid to be called an Indian?
5. What do white people fear that Indians do not and even cultivate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Indians' philosophy and practice of silence and how it differs from the white mens' way.
2. What were some of the reasons why Nerburn considered going home after his lunch with Grover and Dan?
3. What did Nerburn find when he returned to Dan's house several months later?
4. What did Dan tell Nerburn about the prairie dogs?
5. Where was Nerburn sitting in Grover's Buick on the trip he took with Grover and Dan and what was he doing?
6. Describe the scene in Grover's Buick on the way back that moved Nerburn to tears.
7. Why did Kent Nerburn want to write this book?
8. What were some of the things discussed by Dan and Grover and Nerburn as they watched an old cowboy and Indian movie on television?
9. What did Dan say about being called an Indian?
10. Describe the landmark Nerburn came upon when riding across North Dakota on his motorcycle.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)