|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dan, the Creator love the smell of what?
(a) The Indian camp fire.
(b) Sweet grass sprinkled into a fire.
(c) The spring prairie flowers.
(d) The spring rain.
2. In what kind of vehicle was the Hippie family traveling?
(a) A blue Volkswagen.
(b) An old station wagon with a dream-catcher hangin in it.
(c) A green school bus with red curtains.
(d) An old van with an Indian scene painted on its side.
3. What did the guys in Grover's unit call him when he was in Korea?
(d) Red man.
4. What did Grover and Dan do as the car passed through the evening landscape?
(a) They started telling jokes about white people.
(b) They whispered seeming secrets in Lakota.
(c) They sang plaintive, warbling songs in Lakota.
(d) Grover drove but Dan fell asleep.
5. What was Nerburn's first inclination to do after leaving his Nissan at Jumbo's?
(a) He wanted to go to the motel and sleep till it was over.
(b) He wanted to take the trip with Grover and Dan.
(c) He wanted to go to Dan's house and work on the book.
(d) He wanted to stay in the village and explore it.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what reservation had Nerburn worked several years before?
2. Describe Nerburn's immediate family.
3. What movie star did Dan like?
4. Why didn't Nerburn play cards?
5. What did Dan and Grover say about Jumbo's ability to fix Nerburn's NIssan truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Kent Nerburn want to write this book?
2. What did Dan give Nerburn and what did Nerburn do with them?
3. What did Dan say about being called an Indian?
4. What were some of the reasons why Nerburn considered going home after his lunch with Grover and Dan?
5. Describe the scene in Grover's Buick on the way back that moved Nerburn to tears.
6. Write some things about Dan's grandson.
7. Why did Indians wear long hair?
8. Describe the "wannabe" Hippies they ran into at the truck stop.
9. Describe Dan's house.
10. Who passed Grover as he drove 45 mph on the trip they were taking?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)