|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Grover insist they order at the truck stop?
(a) Pancakes and sausages.
(b) Fried eggs and bacon.
(c) Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches and fries.
(d) Bacon double cheeseburgers and fries.
2. What are "pispiza"?
(a) Prairie dogs.
(b) Sweet grasses.
(c) Lakota elders.
(d) Cherokee Indians.
3. What request did the Indian woman have when she called Nerburn?
(a) She asked him to speak to her grandfather on the phone,.
(b) She asked him if she could visit him.
(c) She asked him to visit her grandfather, an Elder.
(d) She asked him to sell her his two books.
4. What kind of horses were all the Indians in the television cowboy movie riding?
(a) Black horses.
(c) Wild horses.
5. According to Dan, the Creator love the smell of what?
(a) The spring prairie flowers.
(b) Sweet grass sprinkled into a fire.
(c) The Indian camp fire.
(d) The spring rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far apart were the houses in the village?
2. What did Dan consider bullshit regarding the white people's way of life?
3. What sentence, according to Nerburn, sums up America?
4. What was Grover doing when Dan and Nerburn came to visit him?
5. When was a man supposed to wear an eagle feather?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Nerburn went to Dan's house the next day to tell him he was leaving what did he find?
2. Describe the "wannabe" Hippies they ran into at the truck stop.
3. What did Nerburn find when he returned to Dan's house several months later?
4. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard and what was he referring to?
5. Explain the Indians' philosophy and practice of silence and how it differs from the white mens' way.
6. Where was Nerburn sitting in Grover's Buick on the trip he took with Grover and Dan and what was he doing?
7. Write some things about Dan's grandson.
8. By what means did white men attempt to exterminate the Indians?
9. Describe Grover.
10. Describe the telephone call Nerburn got.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)