|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request did the Indian woman have when she called Nerburn?
(a) She asked him to speak to her grandfather on the phone,.
(b) She asked him to visit her grandfather, an Elder.
(c) She asked him if she could visit him.
(d) She asked him to sell her his two books.
2. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
(a) A small garden.
(b) A perfectly ordered woodpile.
(c) A wagon wheel.
(d) An old, rusted truck
3. According to Dan, how do white people learn?
(a) By talking.
(b) By listening.
(c) By reading.
(d) By experimenting.
4. How much did Dan's grandmother receive for sitting on a blanket and having her picture taken?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A dime.
(c) A quarter.
(d) Fifty cents.
5. From what college did Dan's grandson graduate?
(a) North Dakota U.
(d) Notre Dame.
Short Answer Questions
1. How fast did Grover drive his Buick?
2. Where did Fatback live?
3. On what kind of sandwich did Grover often make for which Dan complimented him?
4. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
5. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "wannabe" Hippies they ran into at the truck stop.
2. What were some of the reasons why Nerburn considered going home after his lunch with Grover and Dan?
3. Who passed Grover as he drove 45 mph on the trip they were taking?
4. What was Dan sprinkling into the fire when Nerburn drove up to his house on the next morning in Chapter Two, "Burn Offerings" and what was the significance of this?
5. Write some things about Dan's grandson.
6. What were some of the things discussed by Dan and Grover and Nerburn as they watched an old cowboy and Indian movie on television?
7. What was in the shoe boxes Dan gave Nerburn?
8. Describe the scene in Grover's Buick on the way back that moved Nerburn to tears.
9. What did Dan tell Nerburn about the prairie dogs?
10. What happened to Nerburn's black Nissan truck when he got back in it to drive away?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)