|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of horses were all the Indians in the television cowboy movie riding?
(b) Wild horses.
(d) Black horses.
2. What did Dan consider bullshit regarding the white people's way of life?
(a) The white people's marriage customs.
(b) The white people's emphasis on education.
(c) The white people's attitude toward possessions.
(d) The white people's way of raising their children.
3. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
(a) They were surrounded by solid red lines.
(b) By large black capital letters.
(c) By slightly off-colored squares surrounded by dotted lines.
(d) Each reservation was a different pastel color mass.
4. What sentence, according to Nerburn, sums up America?
(a) "From sea to shining sea."
(b) "What's in it for me?"
(c) "We are the land of the free."
(d) "We are number one."
5. Who was in "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show" for awhile?
(a) Lakota elders.
(b) Black Elk.
(c) A Navajo medicine man.
(d) Sitting Bull.
Short Answer Questions
1. When all the sacred Indian ceremonies are gone what will be left according to Dan?
2. Where did Fatback live?
3. Why did the Lakota Elder want to talk with Nerburn?
4. What was the only sign of industriousness that could be seen in the village?
5. What was the name of the old Indian's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dan tell Nerburn about the prairie dogs?
2. Explain the Indians' philosophy and practice of silence and how it differs from the white mens' way.
3. Write some things about Dan's grandson.
4. Describe the landmark Nerburn came upon when riding across North Dakota on his motorcycle.
5. By what means did white men attempt to exterminate the Indians?
6. Why wasn't Grover bothered by the presence of the Hippies?
7. What did Nerburn find when he returned to Dan's house several months later?
8. What were some of the reasons why Nerburn considered going home after his lunch with Grover and Dan?
9. Describe where Nerburn's Nissan truck ended up.
10. Describe Grover's house.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)