|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dan and Grover say about Jumbo's ability to fix Nerburn's NIssan truck?
(a) They said he'd fix it and rent it out till Nerburn returned.
(b) They said he'd probably sell it.
(c) They said he'd never be able to fix it.
(d) They said he'd either fix it or kill it.
2. According to Dan, what did the white man do to the land?
(a) Turned it into property.
(b) Disrespected it.
(c) Didn't love it.
(d) Developed it.
3. Why didn't Nerburn play cards?
(a) He had never learned how to play.
(b) He felt it led to gambling.
(c) He thought it was a waste of time.
(d) He disapproved of playing cards.
4. What is the lie of the good man, according to Dan?
(a) A confession of ignorance.
(c) A white lie.
(d) Changing the subject of the conversation.
5. How did Nerburn feel when he was among the Indians?
(a) Happy and honored.
(b) Angry and aggressive.
(c) Curious and defensive.
(d) Anxious and fearful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show" for awhile?
2. What movie star did Dan like?
3. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
4. What did the Lakota people consider a sacred offering?
5. What does "wakan" mean in English?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dan tell Nerburn about the prairie dogs?
2. What were some of the things discussed by Dan and Grover and Nerburn as they watched an old cowboy and Indian movie on television?
3. What did Dan say about being called an Indian?
4. What was Dan sprinkling into the fire when Nerburn drove up to his house on the next morning in Chapter Two, "Burn Offerings" and what was the significance of this?
5. What were some of the reasons why Nerburn considered going home after his lunch with Grover and Dan?
6. Where was Nerburn sitting in Grover's Buick on the trip he took with Grover and Dan and what was he doing?
7. Why wasn't Grover bothered by the presence of the Hippies?
8. Dan asked Nerburn to read one of the papers he had written using the Elder's notes and clippings. Describe that paper.
9. Describe where Nerburn's Nissan truck ended up.
10. Describe Dan's house.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)