|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
(a) A small garden.
(b) A wagon wheel.
(c) A perfectly ordered woodpile.
(d) An old, rusted truck
2. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard?
(a) I don't have a dog.
(b) That's what being in the service did to me.
(c) I like a neat yard.
(d) I don't like junk.
3. What did Dan particularly not like about Hippies?
(a) That they practiced free love.
(b) The Hippie hand shake.
(c) Their bad manners.
(d) That they took drugs.
4. To what did Grover compare the white man's religious Communion in the Lakota society?
(a) The spring crop.
5. What do white people fear that Indians do not and even cultivate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Lakota people consider a sacred offering?
2. Nerburn got a phone call from whom in Chapter 1?
3. Why did Dan feel it was stupid to be called an Indian?
4. What was outside of the Old Indian's house?
5. What request did the Indian woman have when she called Nerburn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the reasons why Nerburn considered going home after his lunch with Grover and Dan?
2. What was Dan sprinkling into the fire when Nerburn drove up to his house on the next morning in Chapter Two, "Burn Offerings" and what was the significance of this?
3. Where was Nerburn sitting in Grover's Buick on the trip he took with Grover and Dan and what was he doing?
4. When Nerburn went to Dan's house the next day to tell him he was leaving what did he find?
5. Why did Indians wear long hair?
6. Dan asked Nerburn to read one of the papers he had written using the Elder's notes and clippings. Describe that paper.
7. Describe the scene in Grover's Buick on the way back that moved Nerburn to tears.
8. What was in the shoe boxes Dan gave Nerburn?
9. Who passed Grover as he drove 45 mph on the trip they were taking?
10. Describe Dan's house.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)