|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Indian philosophy of ownership?
(a) You owned it as long as you needed it then passed it on.
(b) If you owned a lot of things others looked up to you,.
(c) The more things you owned, the better.
(d) No one dare violate one's ownership of something.
2. What did the guys in Grover's unit call him when he was in Korea?
(c) Red man.
3. Why did the Lakota Elder want to talk with Nerburn?
(a) He was curious about Nerburn's interest in the Lakota.
(b) He was interested in white people.
(c) He wanted to invite him to a pow wow.
(d) He had seen the two books Nerburn had written.
4. What did the Indians feel the Creator disapproved of that the white man did?
(a) Make silly, stereotyped Indian movies.
(b) Dress differently and have different customs.
(c) Not honor the Indians and their ways.
(d) Offer money for land.
5. On what kind of sandwich did Grover often make for which Dan complimented him?
(a) Baloney sandwich.
(b) Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
(c) Roast Beef sandwich.
(d) Tuna fish sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had an old farmer in Bismarck told Nerburn when he asked why he never went east?
2. When all the sacred Indian ceremonies are gone what will be left according to Dan?
3. What did Wenonah suggest Nerburn do?
4. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard?
5. What famous person from overseas saw "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show"?
Short Essay Questions
1. By what means did white men attempt to exterminate the Indians?
2. What was Dan sprinkling into the fire when Nerburn drove up to his house on the next morning in Chapter Two, "Burn Offerings" and what was the significance of this?
3. Describe Dan's house.
4. What did Nerburn find when he returned to Dan's house several months later?
5. What was in the shoe boxes Dan gave Nerburn?
6. Why did Kent Nerburn want to write this book?
7. When Nerburn went to Dan's house the next day to tell him he was leaving what did he find?
8. What did Dan give Nerburn and what did Nerburn do with them?
9. What did Dan tell Nerburn about the prairie dogs?
10. Explain the Indians' philosophy and practice of silence and how it differs from the white mens' way.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)