|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Danelle's parents die?
(a) They were lost and died of starvation.
(b) From smallpox.
(c) In an airplane crash.
(d) They were shot but the police said a car accident.
2. How many people were in the front seat of the pickup?
3. How tall was the obelisk in the middle of the plot?
(a) Ten feet tall.
(b) Eight feet tall.
(c) Seven feet tall.
(d) Nine feet tall.
4. What gift had the Creator given Dan?
(a) To be a brave warrior.
(b) To be a good father and grandfather.
(c) To write.
(d) To put on white man's eyes and see clearly.
5. Where did Sitting Bull's people come from?
(a) South Dakota.
(b) The Badlands.
(d) West of the Missouri.
6. In December of what year did the massacre at Wounded Knee take place?
7. How did Dan's grandfathers give him the song?
(a) In a dream.
(b) In the wind.
(c) From the earth.
(d) From bird song.
8. What was good after the terrible storm?
(a) Everyone was hungry.
(b) A double rainbow.
(c) Fresh winds from a different direction.
(d) Grover said a prayer in Lakota.
9. A flash of lightning illuminated a billboard with a quote from what book in the Bible?
10. What did Grover whisper after the ferocious storm had subsided?
(a) "Thank you Great Creator."
(b) "Wakan Tanka."
(c) "The Storm Chief."
(d) "The Winged One."
11. What chief in Montana was mentioned?
(a) Chief Black Elk.
(b) Chief Joseph.
(c) Chief Running Bear.
(d) Chief Lone Wolf.
12. What was the worst thing the white man brought to the Indians according to Dan?
(c) Small pox.
(d) Boarding schools for their children.
13. What does Dan mention whites would view as an artifact which should be viewed as sacred?
(a) His grandmother's skull.
(b) Lakota prayers written on deer skin.
(c) An Indian burial mound.
(d) A dream-catcher.
14. How was the land to the east of the Missouri river different from the land to the west?
(a) It was a land of dreamers.
(b) It was more fertile.
(c) It was formed by a glacier.
(d) It was a land of freedom rather than labor.
15. What did Dan take out of the trunk at Wounded Knee?
(a) A dream-catcher.
(b) A large beaded animal skin bag.
(c) A leather-bound book.
(d) A drum.
Short Answer Questions
1. How large was the plot of ground inside the pillars and bordered by cement?
2. How did Grover describe the coffee he made?
3. What did Nerburn feel was a comfort and protection from the thoughts of the dying women and children at Wounded Knee?
4. What color did Nerburn say the morning sky was?
5. According to Indians what people are closest to God?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)