|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the land to the east of the Missouri river different from the land to the west?
(a) It was a land of freedom rather than labor.
(b) It was a land of dreamers.
(c) It was formed by a glacier.
(d) It was more fertile.
2. What did Dan do each time he stopped on his walk around the fenced area?
(a) Tied a small cloth bundle from his bag to the fence.
(b) Sang a song in Lakota.
(c) Chanted a prayer in Lakota.
(d) Prayed to the North, South, East and West.
3. How old was Annie?
(a) About 55.
(b) Almost as old as Dan.
(c) About 65.
(d) About 59.
4. What did Sitting Bull's monument overlook?
(a) The Missouri River Valley.
(b) A Lakota settlement.
(c) The Kansas plains.
(d) A Homestead town.
5. With what was Annie working in her lap?
(a) She was making an Indian necklace.
(b) She was shelling peas.
(c) She was taking the tops off string beans.
(d) A rosary.
6. How old is April?
7. How many times did Dan take a pinch of tobacco and offer it to the wind?
(a) Four times.
(b) Seven times.
(c) Six times.
(d) Three times.
8. Where did Nerburn sleep when he was at Annie's house?
(a) In the back room of the house.
(b) On a bed in the yard.
(c) In a hammock in the yard.
(d) In the Buick.
9. With whom did Sitting Bull's people join when they went south to avoid the soldiers?
(a) Black Foot.
(b) Crazy Horse.
(c) Black Elk.
(d) Big Foot.
10. What burial site did they head for after leaving the Homestead town?
(a) Running Wolf's Burial Site.
(b) Sitting Bull's Burial Site.
(c) Black Elk's Burial Site.
(d) Lone Wolf's Burial Site.
11. What question did Nerburn ask the Indian which he shouldn't have asked?
(a) He asked the Indian how old he was.
(b) He asked the Indian if he was a Lakota.
(c) He asked the Indian what tribe he was from.
(d) He asked whether the Indian was going to the burial site.
12. What kind of Indians were neither red warriors nor white farmers, neither wolf nor dog?
(a) Comanche Indians.
(b) Navajo Indians.
(c) Apache Indians.
(d) All agency Indians.
13. In December of what year did the massacre at Wounded Knee take place?
14. What was important when Indians fought other Indians?
(a) To kill as many of the other tribe as possible.
(b) To take the other tribe's women as wives.
(c) To take as many prisoners as possible.
(d) To 'count coup.'
15. How old was Delvin?
(a) About 32.
(b) In his early forties.
(c) In his late thirties.
(d) In his late twenties.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Grover describe the coffee he made?
2. What were the seven stars supposed to have taught the Lakota?
3. What does Dan mention whites would view as an artifact which should be viewed as sacred?
4. How many people were in the front seat of the pickup?
5. How large was the plot of ground inside the pillars and bordered by cement?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)