|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Grover put in his napkin for Fatback?
(a) An edge of his steak sandwich.
(b) Part of his cheeseburger.
(c) A piece of barbequed chicken without the bones.
(d) Rib bones.
2. What was the worst thing the white man brought to the Indians according to Dan?
(a) Boarding schools for their children.
(c) Small pox.
3. What did the English want from the Indians?
4. What did Dan take out of the trunk at Wounded Knee?
(a) A drum.
(b) A dream-catcher.
(c) A large beaded animal skin bag.
(d) A leather-bound book.
5. What did Dan rebuke Nerburn about in Chapter 12?
(a) Wandering off.
(b) Not listening.
(c) Being too white.
(d) Talking too much.
6. With what was Annie working in her lap?
(a) A rosary.
(b) She was shelling peas.
(c) She was making an Indian necklace.
(d) She was taking the tops off string beans.
7. Why couldn't Dan speak or write, according to the grandfathers?
(a) He had too much anger.
(b) He wasn't poetic enough.
(c) He hadn't graduated from Haskell.
(d) He had married a white woman.
8. Describe Danelle.
(a) Medium-build and not very attractive.
(b) Skinny with the gaunt beauty of a bar queen.
(c) Plump with bright shiny black eyes.
(d) Voluptuous with a movie star's beauty.
9. To what was the monument at Wounded Knee dedicated?
(a) The Memory of the Big Foot Massacre.
(b) The Memory of Chief Black Elk.
(c) The Memory of Chief Lone Wolf.
(d) The Memory of Chief Joseph.
10. A flash of lightning illuminated a billboard with a quote from what book in the Bible?
11. What did Nerburn feel was a comfort and protection from the thoughts of the dying women and children at Wounded Knee?
(a) The smoke from the pipe Dan gave him to smoke.
(b) Thoughts of eternal life.
(c) Memories of a happy childhood.
(d) Thoughts of his family.
12. What did Grover sprinkle in the fire that the bad spirits hated?
(b) Evergreen needles.
13. Who shot Sitting Bull?
(b) A rival tribe.
(c) White men.
(d) Indian police.
14. Of what did the latticework arch between the two pillars at Wounded Knee remind Nerburn?
(a) The entrance to amusement parks.
(b) The entrance to a rich person's home in the east.
(c) The entrance to a western ranch.
(d) The tracery over Nazi death camps.
15. When Delvin asked Nerburn if he was writing a book like Black Elk Speaks, what did he answer?
(a) Maybe, "Black Dog Speaks."
(b) Yes, he was writing a similar book.
(c) No, his book would be different.
(d) "More like Sitting Bull Speaks."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nerburn sleep when he was at Annie's house?
2. What was in front of Sitting Bull's Monument?
3. What did Nerburn dream about at Wounded Knee?
4. What was important when Indians fought other Indians?
5. What were tied to the lattice work between the arches?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)