|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is waziya?
(a) Wind from the south.
(b) Wind from the west.
(c) Wind from the north.
(d) Wind from the east.
2. How large was the plot of ground inside the pillars and bordered by cement?
(a) 60 ft. long and 5 ft. wide.
(b) 70 ft. long and 6 ft. wide.
(c) 80 ft. long and 8 ft. wide.
(d) 90 ft. long and 7 ft. wide.
3. In December of what year did the massacre at Wounded Knee take place?
4. Why couldn't Dan speak or write, according to the grandfathers?
(a) He had married a white woman.
(b) He hadn't graduated from Haskell.
(c) He wasn't poetic enough.
(d) He had too much anger.
5. Where did Nerburn sleep when he was at Annie's house?
(a) In a hammock in the yard.
(b) In the Buick.
(c) On a bed in the yard.
(d) In the back room of the house.
6. How was the land to the east of the Missouri river different from the land to the west?
(a) It was a land of dreamers.
(b) It was more fertile.
(c) It was formed by a glacier.
(d) It was a land of freedom rather than labor.
7. Who was Crazy Horse?
(a) Sitting Bull's enemy.
(b) A famous Apache Chief.
(c) A famous Cherokee Chief.
(d) An Indian leader immortalized in a sculpture.
8. What kind of a woman did Nerburn perceive Annie to be?
(a) A bitter woman.
(b) A sad woman.
(c) A kind woman.
(d) An angry woman.
9. According to the Lakota, what happened the year the buffalo froze?
(a) The wolves howled every night.
(b) Many Indian children died.
(c) There was a late frost.
(d) A lot of stars fell.
10. The Catholic church held a conference to determine what about Indians?
(a) Whether they were people or animals.
(b) If they could go to heaven.
(c) If intermarriage with white Catholics should be allowed.
(d) If they should be allowed to receive Communion.
11. What was the object wrapped in a blanket that Grover took out of his trunk?
(a) A dream-catcher.
(b) An Indian head-dress.
(c) A drum.
(d) A song book.
12. What did Dan do each time he stopped on his walk around the fenced area?
(a) Chanted a prayer in Lakota.
(b) Prayed to the North, South, East and West.
(c) Sang a song in Lakota.
(d) Tied a small cloth bundle from his bag to the fence.
13. What was in front of Sitting Bull's Monument?
(a) A bench.
(b) A plaque with Sitting Bull's history on it.
(c) A square stone pillar topped by a bust.
(d) A garden.
14. What adjective did Dan use to describe the hills where they were parked?
15. What did Grover whisper after the ferocious storm had subsided?
(a) "Thank you Great Creator."
(b) "The Winged One."
(c) "The Storm Chief."
(d) "Wakan Tanka."
Short Answer Questions
1. About how old was the Indian they picked up on their way to Sitting Bull's Burial Site?
2. Whose name was written on another side of the monument?
3. Who shot Sitting Bull?
4. What reason did Nerburn give for not wearing a watch?
5. What color did Nerburn say the morning sky was?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)