|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why couldn't Dan speak or write, according to the grandfathers?
(a) He wasn't poetic enough.
(b) He hadn't graduated from Haskell.
(c) He had married a white woman.
(d) He had too much anger.
2. According to Indians what people are closest to God?
(a) Chiefs and Medicine men.
(b) Babies and old people.
(c) Teenagers and Indian missionaries.
(d) Warriors and Ghost dancers.
3. What was the Wanekia?
(a) The devil.
(b) The Ghost Dancer.
(c) The Messiah.
(d) The Creator.
4. How old was Annie?
(a) About 55.
(b) About 65.
(c) About 59.
(d) Almost as old as Dan.
5. How tall was the obelisk in the middle of the plot?
(a) Seven feet tall.
(b) Ten feet tall.
(c) Eight feet tall.
(d) Nine feet tall.
6. How many times did Dan take a pinch of tobacco and offer it to the wind?
(a) Three times.
(b) Six times.
(c) Seven times.
(d) Four times.
7. Where did Sitting Bull's people come from?
(b) West of the Missouri.
(c) South Dakota.
(d) The Badlands.
8. What do white men want from the Indians now?
(a) The minerals and forests.
9. What did Grover put in his napkin for Fatback?
(a) Part of his cheeseburger.
(b) An edge of his steak sandwich.
(c) A piece of barbequed chicken without the bones.
(d) Rib bones.
10. How large was the plot of ground inside the pillars and bordered by cement?
(a) 80 ft. long and 8 ft. wide.
(b) 70 ft. long and 6 ft. wide.
(c) 60 ft. long and 5 ft. wide.
(d) 90 ft. long and 7 ft. wide.
11. What was good after the terrible storm?
(a) Everyone was hungry.
(b) Fresh winds from a different direction.
(c) Grover said a prayer in Lakota.
(d) A double rainbow.
12. How did Dan describe the rolling foothills?
(a) White man's land.
(b) Indian land.
(c) Mother earth.
(d) A beautiful place.
13. What did Nerburn feel was a comfort and protection from the thoughts of the dying women and children at Wounded Knee?
(a) Thoughts of eternal life.
(b) Thoughts of his family.
(c) Memories of a happy childhood.
(d) The smoke from the pipe Dan gave him to smoke.
14. What kind of Indians were neither red warriors nor white farmers, neither wolf nor dog?
(a) Apache Indians.
(b) Navajo Indians.
(c) Comanche Indians.
(d) All agency Indians.
15. When Delvin asked Nerburn if he was writing a book like Black Elk Speaks, what did he answer?
(a) Maybe, "Black Dog Speaks."
(b) Yes, he was writing a similar book.
(c) No, his book would be different.
(d) "More like Sitting Bull Speaks."
Short Answer Questions
1. In December of what year did the massacre at Wounded Knee take place?
2. What did Dan rebuke Nerburn about in Chapter 12?
3. What reason did Nerburn give for not wearing a watch?
4. About how old was the Indian they picked up on their way to Sitting Bull's Burial Site?
5. What chief in Montana was mentioned?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)