|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Danelle.
(a) Plump with bright shiny black eyes.
(b) Voluptuous with a movie star's beauty.
(c) Medium-build and not very attractive.
(d) Skinny with the gaunt beauty of a bar queen.
2. What chief in Montana was mentioned?
(a) Chief Running Bear.
(b) Chief Black Elk.
(c) Chief Joseph.
(d) Chief Lone Wolf.
3. Where did Nerburn sleep when he was at Annie's house?
(a) On a bed in the yard.
(b) In a hammock in the yard.
(c) In the back room of the house.
(d) In the Buick.
4. How many times did Dan stop on his walk around the fenced area?
(a) Ten times.
(b) Nine times.
(c) Eight times.
(d) Seven times.
5. What did Dan say Nerburn thought too much about?
(b) The weather.
6. What were tied to the lattice work between the arches?
(a) Ragged silk flags.
(b) White silk handkerchiefs.
(c) Ragged pieces of ribbon.
(d) Small crosses.
7. How many times did Dan take a pinch of tobacco and offer it to the wind?
(a) Four times.
(b) Three times.
(c) Six times.
(d) Seven times.
8. Of what did the latticework arch between the two pillars at Wounded Knee remind Nerburn?
(a) The entrance to a rich person's home in the east.
(b) The tracery over Nazi death camps.
(c) The entrance to amusement parks.
(d) The entrance to a western ranch.
9. Why was Sitting Bull great?
(a) He had a large tribe under him.
(b) He won many battles.
(c) He didn't rule, he led.
(d) He hated the white man.
10. What burial site did they head for after leaving the Homestead town?
(a) Sitting Bull's Burial Site.
(b) Running Wolf's Burial Site.
(c) Lone Wolf's Burial Site.
(d) Black Elk's Burial Site.
11. Where did Eugene's dad live?
12. What question did Nerburn ask the Indian which he shouldn't have asked?
(a) He asked whether the Indian was going to the burial site.
(b) He asked the Indian if he was a Lakota.
(c) He asked the Indian how old he was.
(d) He asked the Indian what tribe he was from.
13. To what did Nerburn compare what was happening on the grassy field below them in Chapter 12?
(a) A musical performance.
(b) A WWI battle scene.
(c) A family reunion.
(d) A medieval battlefield.
14. What kind of a woman did Nerburn perceive Annie to be?
(a) An angry woman.
(b) A kind woman.
(c) A sad woman.
(d) A bitter woman.
15. What did Grover do when they got back on the road?
(a) He started ranting against the whites.
(b) He started singing a Lakota song.
(c) He called out the signs they passed.
(d) He started telling Lakota legends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was Delvin's and Danelle's pickup?
2. What is a wipoye?
3. How did Danelle's parents die?
4. What do white men want from the Indians now?
5. According to Indians what people are closest to God?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)