|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Delvin asked Nerburn if he was writing a book like Black Elk Speaks, what did he answer?
(a) Yes, he was writing a similar book.
(b) No, his book would be different.
(c) "More like Sitting Bull Speaks."
(d) Maybe, "Black Dog Speaks."
2. Where did Sitting Bull's people come from?
(a) West of the Missouri.
(c) South Dakota.
(d) The Badlands.
3. Who was Crazy Horse?
(a) Sitting Bull's enemy.
(b) A famous Cherokee Chief.
(c) An Indian leader immortalized in a sculpture.
(d) A famous Apache Chief.
4. What shape was Sitting Bull's Monument?
(a) It was an Obelisk.
(b) It was a Mausoleum.
(c) It was an incribed bench.
(d) It was a square stone building.
5. What color did Nerburn say the morning sky was?
(d) Light blue.
6. What does Dan say he sometimes imagines doing in revenge for the whites taking everything sacred to Indians?
(a) Disrupting church ceremonies.
(b) Writing Lakota graffiti on churches.
(c) Burning bibles.
(d) Bulldozing headstones, plowing coffins, putting bones in bags.
7. What did the Spanish want from the Indians?
8. What did the French want from the Indians?
9. What was the Wanekia?
(a) The Creator.
(b) The devil.
(c) The Messiah.
(d) The Ghost Dancer.
10. How did Dan describe the rolling foothills?
(a) Indian land.
(b) A beautiful place.
(c) White man's land.
(d) Mother earth.
11. What did Nerburn feel was a comfort and protection from the thoughts of the dying women and children at Wounded Knee?
(a) Thoughts of eternal life.
(b) Memories of a happy childhood.
(c) Thoughts of his family.
(d) The smoke from the pipe Dan gave him to smoke.
12. What question did Nerburn ask the Indian which he shouldn't have asked?
(a) He asked the Indian what tribe he was from.
(b) He asked whether the Indian was going to the burial site.
(c) He asked the Indian how old he was.
(d) He asked the Indian if he was a Lakota.
13. How many dogs did Annie have?
14. How did Danelle's parents die?
(a) They were lost and died of starvation.
(b) They were shot but the police said a car accident.
(c) From smallpox.
(d) In an airplane crash.
15. What is a wipoye?
(a) An Indian chant.
(b) A dream-catcher.
(c) An Indian wise woman.
(d) A medicine bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in front of Sitting Bull's Monument?
2. With what was Annie working in her lap?
3. What did Dan rebuke Nerburn about in Chapter 12?
4. What were the seven stars supposed to have taught the Lakota?
5. What was the worst thing the white man brought to the Indians according to Dan?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)