|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In December of what year did the massacre at Wounded Knee take place?
2. What did Grover sprinkle in the fire that the bad spirits hated?
(c) Evergreen needles.
3. How many times did Dan stop on his walk around the fenced area?
(a) Ten times.
(b) Seven times.
(c) Nine times.
(d) Eight times.
4. What did Nerburn remember as they drove toward the rocky out croppings?
(a) His trips to Mt. Rushmore as a child.
(b) His mission.
(c) His love of the rugged nature of the countryside.
(d) His conversations with Dan.
5. What was strewn around the base of the obelisk?
(a) Wilted flowers.
(b) Prayer notes.
(c) Plastic flowers.
(d) Plastic bottles and aluminum cans.
6. How did Grover describe the coffee he made?
(a) Navy brew.
(d) Cofffee like his mother had brewed.
7. How many rooms did Annie's house have?
8. What question did Nerburn ask the Indian which he shouldn't have asked?
(a) He asked the Indian what tribe he was from.
(b) He asked the Indian if he was a Lakota.
(c) He asked the Indian how old he was.
(d) He asked whether the Indian was going to the burial site.
9. What was the object wrapped in a blanket that Grover took out of his trunk?
(a) A drum.
(b) A song book.
(c) An Indian head-dress.
(d) A dream-catcher.
10. Where did Sitting Bull's people come from?
(a) South Dakota.
(b) West of the Missouri.
(c) The Badlands.
11. Why does Dan say he's sorry for saying those things to Nerburn?
(a) It makes Dan angry and Nerburn feel bad.
(b) It doesn't make any difference in the facts.
(c) He considers Nerburn a friend.
(d) It's not good for Indian-White relationships.
12. Describe Danelle.
(a) Voluptuous with a movie star's beauty.
(b) Plump with bright shiny black eyes.
(c) Medium-build and not very attractive.
(d) Skinny with the gaunt beauty of a bar queen.
13. What did Grover put in his napkin for Fatback?
(a) Rib bones.
(b) Part of his cheeseburger.
(c) An edge of his steak sandwich.
(d) A piece of barbequed chicken without the bones.
14. Where did Eugene's dad live?
15. Of what did the latticework arch between the two pillars at Wounded Knee remind Nerburn?
(a) The entrance to a western ranch.
(b) The tracery over Nazi death camps.
(c) The entrance to amusement parks.
(d) The entrance to a rich person's home in the east.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chief in Montana was mentioned?
2. What is waziya?
3. To what was the monument at Wounded Knee dedicated?
4. What did Dan rebuke Nerburn about in Chapter 12?
5. What New England writer did Dan bring up in the conversation?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)