|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many dogs did Annie have?
2. Who shot Sitting Bull?
(a) White men.
(b) Indian police.
(d) A rival tribe.
3. What were the seven stars supposed to have taught the Lakota?
(a) How to have seven children.
(b) How to kill seven bears.
(c) How to chant seven prayers.
(d) How to have seven council fires.
4. Why does Dan say he's sorry for saying those things to Nerburn?
(a) It makes Dan angry and Nerburn feel bad.
(b) He considers Nerburn a friend.
(c) It's not good for Indian-White relationships.
(d) It doesn't make any difference in the facts.
5. The Catholic church held a conference to determine what about Indians?
(a) If intermarriage with white Catholics should be allowed.
(b) Whether they were people or animals.
(c) If they should be allowed to receive Communion.
(d) If they could go to heaven.
6. According to Indians what people are closest to God?
(a) Teenagers and Indian missionaries.
(b) Chiefs and Medicine men.
(c) Babies and old people.
(d) Warriors and Ghost dancers.
7. What was the song that Dan chanted about?
(a) Great Indian chiefs.
(b) Anger and tears.
(c) It was an Indian love song.
(d) Indian legends.
8. How tall was the obelisk in the middle of the plot?
(a) Ten feet tall.
(b) Nine feet tall.
(c) Eight feet tall.
(d) Seven feet tall.
9. How did Dan's grandfathers give him the song?
(a) From the earth.
(b) From bird song.
(c) In a dream.
(d) In the wind.
10. How did Danelle's parents die?
(a) From smallpox.
(b) In an airplane crash.
(c) They were shot but the police said a car accident.
(d) They were lost and died of starvation.
11. When Delvin asked Nerburn if he was writing a book like Black Elk Speaks, what did he answer?
(a) No, his book would be different.
(b) Maybe, "Black Dog Speaks."
(c) Yes, he was writing a similar book.
(d) "More like Sitting Bull Speaks."
12. Why was Sitting Bull great?
(a) He didn't rule, he led.
(b) He hated the white man.
(c) He won many battles.
(d) He had a large tribe under him.
13. What was the name of Danelle's mother?
14. What did Dan say Nerburn thought too much about?
(b) The weather.
15. What was the Wanekia?
(a) The Messiah.
(b) The Creator.
(c) The devil.
(d) The Ghost Dancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Grover whisper after the ferocious storm had subsided?
2. What is waziya?
3. What adjective did Dan use to describe the hills where they were parked?
4. What reason did Nerburn give for not wearing a watch?
5. How large was the plot of ground inside the pillars and bordered by cement?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)