|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question did Nerburn ask the Indian which he shouldn't have asked?
(a) He asked the Indian how old he was.
(b) He asked whether the Indian was going to the burial site.
(c) He asked the Indian if he was a Lakota.
(d) He asked the Indian what tribe he was from.
2. Grover had a tattoo of what on his right arm?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A scull.
(c) A woman's name.
(d) A heart.
3. What did Dan rebuke Nerburn about in Chapter 12?
(a) Being too white.
(b) Not listening.
(c) Talking too much.
(d) Wandering off.
4. What did Grover whisper after the ferocious storm had subsided?
(a) "Thank you Great Creator."
(b) "Wakan Tanka."
(c) "The Storm Chief."
(d) "The Winged One."
5. What is a wipoye?
(a) An Indian wise woman.
(b) An Indian chant.
(c) A medicine bag.
(d) A dream-catcher.
6. What kind of a woman did Nerburn perceive Annie to be?
(a) A bitter woman.
(b) A sad woman.
(c) A kind woman.
(d) An angry woman.
7. With whom did Sitting Bull's people join when they went south to avoid the soldiers?
(a) Big Foot.
(b) Crazy Horse.
(c) Black Elk.
(d) Black Foot.
8. What did Dan say was the biggest thing to white people?
9. What was strewn around the base of the obelisk?
(a) Wilted flowers.
(b) Plastic bottles and aluminum cans.
(c) Plastic flowers.
(d) Prayer notes.
10. What New England writer did Dan bring up in the conversation?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) Mary Baker Eddy.
11. How did Danelle's parents die?
(a) They were shot but the police said a car accident.
(b) They were lost and died of starvation.
(c) In an airplane crash.
(d) From smallpox.
12. How old was Annie?
(a) About 55.
(b) About 59.
(c) About 65.
(d) Almost as old as Dan.
13. What was the song that Dan chanted about?
(a) Great Indian chiefs.
(b) Anger and tears.
(c) Indian legends.
(d) It was an Indian love song.
14. What did Nerburn feel was a comfort and protection from the thoughts of the dying women and children at Wounded Knee?
(a) Memories of a happy childhood.
(b) Thoughts of eternal life.
(c) The smoke from the pipe Dan gave him to smoke.
(d) Thoughts of his family.
15. How large was the plot of ground inside the pillars and bordered by cement?
(a) 60 ft. long and 5 ft. wide.
(b) 90 ft. long and 7 ft. wide.
(c) 80 ft. long and 8 ft. wide.
(d) 70 ft. long and 6 ft. wide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Crazy Horse?
2. What was the worst thing the white man brought to the Indians according to Dan?
3. What did the French want from the Indians?
4. How did Grover describe the coffee he made?
5. To what did Nerburn compare what was happening on the grassy field below them in Chapter 12?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)