|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Indians what people are closest to God?
(a) Warriors and Ghost dancers.
(b) Chiefs and Medicine men.
(c) Babies and old people.
(d) Teenagers and Indian missionaries.
2. What gift had the Creator given Dan?
(a) To put on white man's eyes and see clearly.
(b) To be a brave warrior.
(c) To write.
(d) To be a good father and grandfather.
3. What adjective did Dan use to describe the hills where they were parked?
4. What did Nerburn remember as they drove toward the rocky out croppings?
(a) His conversations with Dan.
(b) His mission.
(c) His love of the rugged nature of the countryside.
(d) His trips to Mt. Rushmore as a child.
5. How did Dan's grandfathers give him the song?
(a) In the wind.
(b) From bird song.
(c) From the earth.
(d) In a dream.
6. What do white men want from the Indians now?
(a) The minerals and forests.
7. What were the seven stars supposed to have taught the Lakota?
(a) How to chant seven prayers.
(b) How to have seven council fires.
(c) How to kill seven bears.
(d) How to have seven children.
8. How large was the plot of ground inside the pillars and bordered by cement?
(a) 90 ft. long and 7 ft. wide.
(b) 70 ft. long and 6 ft. wide.
(c) 60 ft. long and 5 ft. wide.
(d) 80 ft. long and 8 ft. wide.
9. Where did Eugene's dad live?
10. Of what did the latticework arch between the two pillars at Wounded Knee remind Nerburn?
(a) The tracery over Nazi death camps.
(b) The entrance to amusement parks.
(c) The entrance to a western ranch.
(d) The entrance to a rich person's home in the east.
11. What was the name of Danelle's mother?
12. What was in the small leather bag inside Dan's shirt?
(a) A stone.
(b) A small silver picture frame with a picture of Bobbie in it.
(c) A turquoise ring.
(d) An Indian charm.
13. How old was Annie?
(a) About 65.
(b) Almost as old as Dan.
(c) About 59.
(d) About 55.
14. What did Grover put in his napkin for Fatback?
(a) Rib bones.
(b) An edge of his steak sandwich.
(c) Part of his cheeseburger.
(d) A piece of barbequed chicken without the bones.
15. With whom did Sitting Bull's people join when they went south to avoid the soldiers?
(a) Black Elk.
(b) Big Foot.
(c) Black Foot.
(d) Crazy Horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the song that Dan chanted about?
2. How tall was the obelisk in the middle of the plot?
3. How old is April?
4. What color did Nerburn say the morning sky was?
5. According to the Lakota, what happened the year the buffalo froze?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)