|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dan say was the biggest thing to white people?
2. What did Grover whisper after the ferocious storm had subsided?
(a) "The Storm Chief."
(b) "Wakan Tanka."
(c) "Thank you Great Creator."
(d) "The Winged One."
3. How was the land to the east of the Missouri river different from the land to the west?
(a) It was a land of dreamers.
(b) It was formed by a glacier.
(c) It was more fertile.
(d) It was a land of freedom rather than labor.
4. What did Dan take out of the trunk at Wounded Knee?
(a) A leather-bound book.
(b) A large beaded animal skin bag.
(c) A drum.
(d) A dream-catcher.
5. Who was Crazy Horse?
(a) A famous Apache Chief.
(b) A famous Cherokee Chief.
(c) An Indian leader immortalized in a sculpture.
(d) Sitting Bull's enemy.
6. How old was Annie?
(a) About 55.
(b) About 65.
(c) About 59.
(d) Almost as old as Dan.
7. What is waziya?
(a) Wind from the south.
(b) Wind from the east.
(c) Wind from the north.
(d) Wind from the west.
8. How many dogs did Annie have?
9. What does Dan mention whites would view as an artifact which should be viewed as sacred?
(a) A dream-catcher.
(b) An Indian burial mound.
(c) Lakota prayers written on deer skin.
(d) His grandmother's skull.
10. How did Dan describe the rolling foothills?
(a) Mother earth.
(b) A beautiful place.
(c) White man's land.
(d) Indian land.
11. Where did Sitting Bull's people come from?
(b) South Dakota.
(c) The Badlands.
(d) West of the Missouri.
12. What was in the small leather bag inside Dan's shirt?
(a) A turquoise ring.
(b) A stone.
(c) A small silver picture frame with a picture of Bobbie in it.
(d) An Indian charm.
13. What color did Nerburn say the morning sky was?
(a) Light blue.
14. What racial slur did Nerburn overhear in the Homestead town restaurant?
(b) "Red Skins."
(c) "Prairie NIggers."
15. What did Grover put in his napkin for Fatback?
(a) A piece of barbequed chicken without the bones.
(b) An edge of his steak sandwich.
(c) Rib bones.
(d) Part of his cheeseburger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the song that Dan chanted about?
2. How large was the plot of ground inside the pillars and bordered by cement?
3. What was good after the terrible storm?
4. How did Dan's grandfathers give him the song?
5. How did Grover describe the coffee he made?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)