|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Sitting Bull's people come from?
(a) West of the Missouri.
(c) South Dakota.
(d) The Badlands.
2. How many dogs did Annie have?
3. What did Dan do each time he stopped on his walk around the fenced area?
(a) Tied a small cloth bundle from his bag to the fence.
(b) Sang a song in Lakota.
(c) Prayed to the North, South, East and West.
(d) Chanted a prayer in Lakota.
4. Who shot Sitting Bull?
(a) White men.
(b) Indian police.
(c) A rival tribe.
5. What does Dan say he sometimes imagines doing in revenge for the whites taking everything sacred to Indians?
(a) Disrupting church ceremonies.
(b) Writing Lakota graffiti on churches.
(c) Burning bibles.
(d) Bulldozing headstones, plowing coffins, putting bones in bags.
6. With what was Annie working in her lap?
(a) She was taking the tops off string beans.
(b) She was shelling peas.
(c) A rosary.
(d) She was making an Indian necklace.
7. When Delvin asked Nerburn if he was writing a book like Black Elk Speaks, what did he answer?
(a) No, his book would be different.
(b) "More like Sitting Bull Speaks."
(c) Yes, he was writing a similar book.
(d) Maybe, "Black Dog Speaks."
8. Whose name was written on another side of the monument?
(a) "Black Elk."
(d) "Crazy Horse."
9. What is waziya?
(a) Wind from the east.
(b) Wind from the west.
(c) Wind from the north.
(d) Wind from the south.
10. The Catholic church held a conference to determine what about Indians?
(a) Whether they were people or animals.
(b) If intermarriage with white Catholics should be allowed.
(c) If they could go to heaven.
(d) If they should be allowed to receive Communion.
11. What did Dan say Nerburn thought too much about?
(b) The weather.
12. What did Grover put in his napkin for Fatback?
(a) Part of his cheeseburger.
(b) A piece of barbequed chicken without the bones.
(c) An edge of his steak sandwich.
(d) Rib bones.
13. What was the worst thing the white man brought to the Indians according to Dan?
(a) Boarding schools for their children.
(d) Small pox.
14. What question did Nerburn ask the Indian which he shouldn't have asked?
(a) He asked the Indian what tribe he was from.
(b) He asked the Indian how old he was.
(c) He asked the Indian if he was a Lakota.
(d) He asked whether the Indian was going to the burial site.
15. What was good after the terrible storm?
(a) Grover said a prayer in Lakota.
(b) Everyone was hungry.
(c) Fresh winds from a different direction.
(d) A double rainbow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan mention whites would view as an artifact which should be viewed as sacred?
2. What kind of Indians were neither red warriors nor white farmers, neither wolf nor dog?
3. A flash of lightning illuminated a billboard with a quote from what book in the Bible?
4. What kind of a woman did Nerburn perceive Annie to be?
5. How old was Annie?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)