|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Delvin asked Nerburn if he was writing a book like Black Elk Speaks, what did he answer?
(a) No, his book would be different.
(b) Maybe, "Black Dog Speaks."
(c) "More like Sitting Bull Speaks."
(d) Yes, he was writing a similar book.
2. How did Grover describe the coffee he made?
(a) Navy brew.
(d) Cofffee like his mother had brewed.
3. What did Dan do each time he stopped on his walk around the fenced area?
(a) Prayed to the North, South, East and West.
(b) Tied a small cloth bundle from his bag to the fence.
(c) Sang a song in Lakota.
(d) Chanted a prayer in Lakota.
4. What adjective did Dan use to describe the hills where they were parked?
5. How did Dan's grandfathers give him the song?
(a) In the wind.
(b) From the earth.
(c) In a dream.
(d) From bird song.
6. What reason did Nerburn give for not wearing a watch?
(a) They make him nervous.
(b) He keeps losing them.
(c) They make him too aware of time.
(d) They feel heavy on the wrist.
7. How many people were in the front seat of the pickup?
8. What does Dan say he sometimes imagines doing in revenge for the whites taking everything sacred to Indians?
(a) Bulldozing headstones, plowing coffins, putting bones in bags.
(b) Disrupting church ceremonies.
(c) Burning bibles.
(d) Writing Lakota graffiti on churches.
9. What did Dan rebuke Nerburn about in Chapter 12?
(a) Not listening.
(b) Wandering off.
(c) Talking too much.
(d) Being too white.
10. Why couldn't Dan speak or write, according to the grandfathers?
(a) He hadn't graduated from Haskell.
(b) He had married a white woman.
(c) He wasn't poetic enough.
(d) He had too much anger.
11. What was in front of Sitting Bull's Monument?
(a) A square stone pillar topped by a bust.
(b) A bench.
(c) A plaque with Sitting Bull's history on it.
(d) A garden.
12. Why does Dan say he's sorry for saying those things to Nerburn?
(a) It doesn't make any difference in the facts.
(b) It's not good for Indian-White relationships.
(c) It makes Dan angry and Nerburn feel bad.
(d) He considers Nerburn a friend.
13. what did the drunk Indian woman in the restaurant in the Homestead town look like?
(a) Fat in a long long Indian skirt.
(b) Medium build in jeans and a white shirt.
(c) Like a movie star Indian with long black hair.
(d) Skinny in very tight jeans.
14. How many murdered Lakota people were buried at Wounded Knee?
15. What were tied to the lattice work between the arches?
(a) White silk handkerchiefs.
(b) Ragged pieces of ribbon.
(c) Ragged silk flags.
(d) Small crosses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is April?
2. What is a wipoye?
3. What racial slur did Nerburn overhear in the Homestead town restaurant?
4. In December of what year did the massacre at Wounded Knee take place?
5. What did Nerburn remember as they drove toward the rocky out croppings?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)