|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard?
(a) I like a neat yard.
(b) I don't have a dog.
(c) I don't like junk.
(d) That's what being in the service did to me.
2. Describe Nerburn's immediate family.
(a) A wife and two teenage sons.
(b) A wife, a teenage daughter and a young boy.
(c) A wife and two teenage daughters.
(d) A wife, a small blond daughter and a teenage boy.
3. To what did Grover compare the white man's religious Communion in the Lakota society?
(b) The spring crop.
4. How much did Dan's grandmother receive for sitting on a blanket and having her picture taken?
(a) Fifty cents.
(b) A quarter.
(c) A nickel.
(d) A dime.
5. In what kind of vehicle was the Hippie family traveling?
(a) An old station wagon with a dream-catcher hangin in it.
(b) An old van with an Indian scene painted on its side.
(c) A green school bus with red curtains.
(d) A blue Volkswagen.
6. How old was Grover?
(a) In his late thirties.
(b) In his late fifties.
(c) In his late forties.
(d) In his early sixties.
7. What did Nerburn buy at the local store before proceeding to the old Indian's house?
(a) A candy bar.
(b) A pack of Prince Albert tobacco.
(c) A soda.
(d) A pack of chewing gum.
8. What was the title of one of the books Nerburn wrote after working on the reservation?
(a) To Walk the Red Road.
(b) Our Mother Earth.
(c) Tales of the Elders.
(d) The Forgotten People.
9. What is the lie of the good man, according to Dan?
(b) A confession of ignorance.
(c) Changing the subject of the conversation.
(d) A white lie.
10. In which South Western City was there a market where rich people could buy all kinds of Indian stuff?
(a) El Paso.
(b) Santa Fe.
(c) San Antonio.
11. When was a man supposed to wear an eagle feather?
(a) When he found it in nature.
(b) When his mother gave it to him.
(c) During a Pow Wow.
(d) When he earned it in battle or a veteran gave it to him.
12. What drug did Nerburn take in the sixties that mimicked the experience Dan had listening to the dead?
13. What color hatband was on Grover's cowboy hat?
(c) Navy blue.
14. What do white people fear that Indians do not and even cultivate?
15. Dan's lifestyle was like whose?
(a) His granddaughter's.
(c) The Lakota tribe's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What criticisms did Grover have for the first chapters Nerburn wrote?
2. What was the Indian philosophy of ownership?
3. What did Dan consider bullshit regarding the white people's way of life?
4. What did the Lakota people call the Creator?
5. On what reservation had Nerburn worked several years before?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)