|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the book published?
2. What did the Lakota word "wasichu" mean in English?
(b) White man.
3. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
(a) By large black capital letters.
(b) By slightly off-colored squares surrounded by dotted lines.
(c) Each reservation was a different pastel color mass.
(d) They were surrounded by solid red lines.
4. What did Dan and Grover say about Jumbo's ability to fix Nerburn's NIssan truck?
(a) They said he'd never be able to fix it.
(b) They said he'd either fix it or kill it.
(c) They said he'd probably sell it.
(d) They said he'd fix it and rent it out till Nerburn returned.
5. From what college did Dan's grandson graduate?
(a) North Dakota U.
(c) Notre Dame.
6. What color hatband was on Grover's cowboy hat?
(b) Navy blue.
7. What were Dan and Nerburn listening to as they sat on Dan's front porch?
(a) Dan's granddaughter singing as she worked.
(b) The larksong and the morning wind.
(c) The approach of Grover's car.
(d) Fatback's barking.
8. How fast did Grover drive his Buick?
(a) He drove about 60 miles per hour.
(b) He drove at exactly the speed limit.
(c) He crept along at about 30 miles per hour.
(d) He seldom drove over 45 miles per hour.
9. Where did Fatback live?
(a) In a dirt hollow she had dug beneath the junk car.
(b) Under Dan's front porch.
(c) In the house with Dan.
(d) In an old wooden dog house.
10. In what kind of vehicle was the Hippie family traveling?
(a) A green school bus with red curtains.
(b) An old van with an Indian scene painted on its side.
(c) A blue Volkswagen.
(d) An old station wagon with a dream-catcher hangin in it.
11. When all the sacred Indian ceremonies are gone what will be left according to Dan?
(a) Their sorrows.
(b) Their memories.
(c) Their hearts.
(d) Their families.
12. Who did Nerburn sit next to in the Buick on the trip?
13. What did Dan's granddaughter put in the breakfast oatmeal?
(a) Bacon grease.
14. What did Wenonah suggest Nerburn do?
(a) Become an honorary member of the Lakota tribe.
(b) Start cooking the meals for her and Dan.
(c) Give up writing the book.
(d) Sleep under the car.
15. What was inside the three-sided wooden structure Nerburn came across on his motorcycle trip?
(a) A wood carving of a Lakota Indian.
(b) A sacred Lakota buffalo rock.
(c) An offering of free fruits and vegetables to passers-by.
(d) Three stones with Lakota traditions inscribed in them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do white people fear that Indians do not and even cultivate?
2. What criticisms did Grover have for the first chapters Nerburn wrote?
3. According to Dan, the Creator love the smell of what?
4. What was outside of the Old Indian's house?
5. When was a man supposed to wear an eagle feather?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)