|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dan particularly not like about Hippies?
(a) That they took drugs.
(b) The Hippie hand shake.
(c) Their bad manners.
(d) That they practiced free love.
2. What did Dan's Indian friends call Nerburn?
(a) Grizzly Adams.
(b) White man.
(c) City boy.
3. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard?
(a) I like a neat yard.
(b) I don't have a dog.
(c) I don't like junk.
(d) That's what being in the service did to me.
4. What color hatband was on Grover's cowboy hat?
(b) Navy blue.
5. What did Nerburn buy at the local store before proceeding to the old Indian's house?
(a) A pack of Prince Albert tobacco.
(b) A soda.
(c) A pack of chewing gum.
(d) A candy bar.
6. How old was Grover?
(a) In his late thirties.
(b) In his late forties.
(c) In his early sixties.
(d) In his late fifties.
7. What did Nerburn use to pack his belongings?
(a) A black canvas bag.
(b) A blue Samsonite suitcase.
(c) A green aviator's bag.
(d) A small brown valise.
8. What drug did Nerburn take in the sixties that mimicked the experience Dan had listening to the dead?
9. According to Dan, how do white people learn?
(a) By experimenting.
(b) By talking.
(c) By reading.
(d) By listening.
10. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
(a) A perfectly ordered woodpile.
(b) An old, rusted truck
(c) A wagon wheel.
(d) A small garden.
11. Where was Grover's house located?
(a) In the next village.
(b) In the middle of the village.
(c) Down the road from Dan's house.
(d) On the other side of the village.
12. How much did Dan's grandmother receive for sitting on a blanket and having her picture taken?
(a) A dime.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) A nickel.
(d) A quarter.
13. What sentence, according to Nerburn, sums up America?
(a) "What's in it for me?"
(b) "We are number one."
(c) "We are the land of the free."
(d) "From sea to shining sea."
14. In what year was the book published?
15. About how much did Jumbo the car mechanic weigh?
(a) 500 lbs.
(b) Well over 400 lbs.
(c) Well over 350 lbs.
(d) 295 lbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What criticisms did Grover have for the first chapters Nerburn wrote?
2. What do white people fear that Indians do not and even cultivate?
3. What did Dan like about Nerburn?
4. What did the Lakota people consider a sacred offering?
5. How did the Indians measure people when times were bad?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)