|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what college did Dan's grandson graduate?
(c) Notre Dame.
(d) North Dakota U.
2. What did the Indians feel the Creator disapproved of that the white man did?
(a) Not honor the Indians and their ways.
(b) Make silly, stereotyped Indian movies.
(c) Dress differently and have different customs.
(d) Offer money for land.
3. What did Dan consider bullshit regarding the white people's way of life?
(a) The white people's emphasis on education.
(b) The white people's attitude toward possessions.
(c) The white people's marriage customs.
(d) The white people's way of raising their children.
4. What are "pispiza"?
(a) Sweet grasses.
(b) Cherokee Indians.
(c) Prairie dogs.
(d) Lakota elders.
5. What drug did Nerburn take in the sixties that mimicked the experience Dan had listening to the dead?
6. What was Nerburn's first inclination to do after leaving his Nissan at Jumbo's?
(a) He wanted to take the trip with Grover and Dan.
(b) He wanted to stay in the village and explore it.
(c) He wanted to go to Dan's house and work on the book.
(d) He wanted to go to the motel and sleep till it was over.
7. What tribe of Indians were the cowboys fighting in the movie Grover was watching?
8. Nerburn got a phone call from whom in Chapter 1?
(a) An Indian woman.
(b) His publisher.
(c) His son.
(d) An Indian Elder.
9. What color was Nerburn's truck?
10. On what kind of sandwich did Grover often make for which Dan complimented him?
(a) Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
(b) Roast Beef sandwich.
(c) Baloney sandwich.
(d) Tuna fish sandwich.
11. According to Dan, what did the white man do to the land?
(a) Developed it.
(b) Didn't love it.
(c) Turned it into property.
(d) Disrespected it.
12. What color was Grover's couch?
(c) Dark red.
13. What did Dan's granddaughter put in the breakfast oatmeal?
(b) Bacon grease.
14. Where did Fatback live?
(a) In a dirt hollow she had dug beneath the junk car.
(b) Under Dan's front porch.
(c) In the house with Dan.
(d) In an old wooden dog house.
15. What did Nerburn use to pack his belongings?
(a) A black canvas bag.
(b) A green aviator's bag.
(c) A blue Samsonite suitcase.
(d) A small brown valise.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Nerburn feel when he was among the Indians?
2. What was the only sign of industriousness that could be seen in the village?
3. On what reservation had Nerburn worked several years before?
4. What had an old farmer in Bismarck told Nerburn when he asked why he never went east?
5. In what year was the book published?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)