|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "wakan" mean in English?
(a) Young or innocent.
(b) Secret or hidden.
(c) Sacred or filled with power.
(d) Far away.
2. The Indians Grover was watching on television looked like what nationality?
(d) Puerto Ricans.
3. What were Dan and Nerburn listening to as they sat on Dan's front porch?
(a) The larksong and the morning wind.
(b) The approach of Grover's car.
(c) Dan's granddaughter singing as she worked.
(d) Fatback's barking.
4. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
(a) He feels he might do what they did if in their place.
(b) The land, the mountain and forest teach him to heal and forgive.
(c) He pities the white man as an inferior being.
(d) He feels he has no alternative but to forgive.
5. Why did the Lakota Elder want to talk with Nerburn?
(a) He had seen the two books Nerburn had written.
(b) He wanted to invite him to a pow wow.
(c) He was curious about Nerburn's interest in the Lakota.
(d) He was interested in white people.
6. What was the title of one of the books Nerburn wrote after working on the reservation?
(a) The Forgotten People.
(b) To Walk the Red Road.
(c) Our Mother Earth.
(d) Tales of the Elders.
7. In what year was the book published?
8. What did Dan like about Nerburn?
(a) He wasn't trying to be an Indian.
(b) He was thoughtful.
(c) He was quiet.
(d) He was polite.
9. Describe the Hippie man.
(a) He was fat with two braids.
(b) He was gaunt with a braided ponytail.
(c) He was big and brawny with a long straight ponytail.
(d) He was medium-build with long stringy hair.
10. What adjective did Nerburn use to describe what white people thought Indians were with which Dan agreed?
11. What color was Grover's Buick?
12. How fast did Grover drive his Buick?
(a) He drove at exactly the speed limit.
(b) He crept along at about 30 miles per hour.
(c) He seldom drove over 45 miles per hour.
(d) He drove about 60 miles per hour.
13. How much did Dan's grandmother receive for sitting on a blanket and having her picture taken?
(a) A dime.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) A nickel.
(d) A quarter.
14. According to Dan, what did the white man do to the land?
(a) Disrespected it.
(b) Developed it.
(c) Didn't love it.
(d) Turned it into property.
15. What is the lie of the good man, according to Dan?
(a) A white lie.
(c) A confession of ignorance.
(d) Changing the subject of the conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nerburn buy at the local store before proceeding to the old Indian's house?
2. Dan's lifestyle was like whose?
3. What famous person from overseas saw "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show"?
4. According to Dan, the Creator love the smell of what?
5. What did Dan and Grover say about Jumbo's ability to fix Nerburn's NIssan truck?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)