|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Grover and Dan do as the car passed through the evening landscape?
(a) They whispered seeming secrets in Lakota.
(b) Grover drove but Dan fell asleep.
(c) They sang plaintive, warbling songs in Lakota.
(d) They started telling jokes about white people.
2. According to Dan, how do white people learn?
(a) By listening.
(b) By reading.
(c) By experimenting.
(d) By talking.
3. What was the author doing when the seed for this book was planted in his mind?
(a) Re-reading the other books he had written about Indians.
(b) Sitting on his front porch watching the sun set.
(c) Riding his motorcycle across North Dakota in August.
(d) Day-dreaming about Indians and their values.
4. How do Dan and the Lakota people feel about being called Indians?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are highly insulted.
(c) They don't care about something like a name.
(d) They are fighting mad.
5. Dan's lifestyle was like whose?
(b) His granddaughter's.
(d) The Lakota tribe's.
6. In what year was the book updated?
7. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
(a) Each reservation was a different pastel color mass.
(b) By large black capital letters.
(c) They were surrounded by solid red lines.
(d) By slightly off-colored squares surrounded by dotted lines.
8. Nerburn got a phone call from whom in Chapter 1?
(a) His son.
(b) An Indian Elder.
(c) An Indian woman.
(d) His publisher.
9. What Indian had counseled reaching out a hand of peace to the white people?
(a) Black Kettle.
(b) Black Stag.
(c) Running Horse.
(d) Sitting Bull.
10. On what kind of sandwich did Grover often make for which Dan complimented him?
(a) Tuna fish sandwich.
(b) Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
(c) Roast Beef sandwich.
(d) Baloney sandwich.
11. How did Nerburn feel when he was among the Indians?
(a) Angry and aggressive.
(b) Anxious and fearful.
(c) Curious and defensive.
(d) Happy and honored.
12. How far apart were the houses in the village?
(a) About a quarter of a mile apart.
(b) About a mile apart.
(c) About 75 ft. from one another.
(d) About a half a mile apart.
13. What are "pispiza"?
(a) Sweet grasses.
(b) Prairie dogs.
(c) Cherokee Indians.
(d) Lakota elders.
14. What was outside of the Old Indian's house?
(a) A large Cadillac.
(b) Two cars, one on blocks.
(c) An outhouse.
(d) A small vegetable garden.
15. What was the name of the old Indian's dog?
(b) Old Faithful.
(c) Round Tummy.
(d) Old Yeller.
Short Answer Questions
1. How fast did Grover drive his Buick?
2. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard?
3. From what college did Dan's grandson graduate?
4. What movie star did Dan like?
5. What did the Indians feel the Creator disapproved of that the white man did?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)