|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Grover wear his hair?
(a) Medium length parted at the side.
(b) Long and straggly hanging loose.
(c) In a crew cut.
(d) In a pony tail.
2. What did Grover and Dan do as the car passed through the evening landscape?
(a) Grover drove but Dan fell asleep.
(b) They whispered seeming secrets in Lakota.
(c) They started telling jokes about white people.
(d) They sang plaintive, warbling songs in Lakota.
3. What did Dan's granddaughter put in the breakfast oatmeal?
(a) Bacon grease.
4. What Indian people did Dan say were killing Indians?
(a) The Indians who sold the sacred ways.
(b) The Indians who became rich and moved away.
(c) The Indians who adopted white ways.
(d) The Indians who intermarried with whites.
5. Who did Nerburn sit next to in the Buick on the trip?
6. What adjective did Nerburn use to describe what white people thought Indians were with which Dan agreed?
7. From what college did Dan's grandson graduate?
(b) Notre Dame.
(d) North Dakota U.
8. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
(a) A small garden.
(b) A wagon wheel.
(c) A perfectly ordered woodpile.
(d) An old, rusted truck
9. About how much did Jumbo the car mechanic weigh?
(a) 295 lbs.
(b) Well over 400 lbs.
(c) 500 lbs.
(d) Well over 350 lbs.
10. What did Grover insist they order at the truck stop?
(a) Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches and fries.
(b) Pancakes and sausages.
(c) Bacon double cheeseburgers and fries.
(d) Fried eggs and bacon.
11. Why did Dan feel it was stupid to be called an Indian?
(a) Because it was demeaning.
(b) Because Columbus thought he had found the East Indies.
(c) Because it wasn't a Lakota term.
(d) Because he was really a Native American.
12. Why did the woman from New York say the Red Road books were not helpful in finding out about the Indians?
(a) She didn't care to learn the truth about the Lakota people.
(b) She didn't trust a book written by a white man.
(c) The Indians in the book weren't like the "movie Indians."
(d) The Indians sounded "flat and uninteresting" in the books.
13. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
(a) He pities the white man as an inferior being.
(b) He feels he has no alternative but to forgive.
(c) The land, the mountain and forest teach him to heal and forgive.
(d) He feels he might do what they did if in their place.
14. What was the title of one of the books Nerburn wrote after working on the reservation?
(a) To Walk the Red Road.
(b) Our Mother Earth.
(c) Tales of the Elders.
(d) The Forgotten People.
15. How do Dan and the Lakota people feel about being called Indians?
(a) They don't care about something like a name.
(b) They are highly insulted.
(c) They are amused.
(d) They are fighting mad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentence, according to Nerburn, sums up America?
2. What color was Grover's couch?
3. What did the guys in Grover's unit call him when he was in Korea?
4. What was inside the three-sided wooden structure Nerburn came across on his motorcycle trip?
5. What had an old farmer in Bismarck told Nerburn when he asked why he never went east?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)