|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the guys in Grover's unit call him when he was in Korea?
(c) Red man.
2. What request did the Indian woman have when she called Nerburn?
(a) She asked him if she could visit him.
(b) She asked him to visit her grandfather, an Elder.
(c) She asked him to sell her his two books.
(d) She asked him to speak to her grandfather on the phone,.
3. What was outside of the Old Indian's house?
(a) An outhouse.
(b) Two cars, one on blocks.
(c) A large Cadillac.
(d) A small vegetable garden.
4. What tribe of Indians were the cowboys fighting in the movie Grover was watching?
5. What color hatband was on Grover's cowboy hat?
(b) Navy blue.
6. Of what piece of music was Nerburn reminded as they drove through the deepening evening?
(a) Mozart's Coronation Mass.
(b) Bach's B Minor Mass.
(c) Handel's Messiah.
(d) Telemann's C Minor Mass.
7. What did Grover, Dan and Nerburn have for lunch at Grover's house?
(a) Tuna fish sandwiches.
(b) Baloney sandwiches.
(c) Roast beef sandwiches.
(d) Grape jelly and peanut butter sandwiches.
8. Who was in "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show" for awhile?
(a) Black Elk.
(b) Sitting Bull.
(c) A Navajo medicine man.
(d) Lakota elders.
9. What drug did Nerburn take in the sixties that mimicked the experience Dan had listening to the dead?
10. What color was Grover's Buick?
11. How do Dan and the Lakota people feel about being called Indians?
(a) They don't care about something like a name.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are fighting mad.
(d) They are highly insulted.
12. According to Dan, how do white people learn?
(a) By experimenting.
(b) By talking.
(c) By reading.
(d) By listening.
13. What did Dan particularly not like about Hippies?
(a) Their bad manners.
(b) That they took drugs.
(c) The Hippie hand shake.
(d) That they practiced free love.
14. On what kind of sandwich did Grover often make for which Dan complimented him?
(a) Baloney sandwich.
(b) Tuna fish sandwich.
(c) Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
(d) Roast Beef sandwich.
15. What were the most important assets Nerburn had in writing the book?
(a) The pen and the tape recorder.
(b) Dan's notes and clippings in the shoebox.
(c) His previous experience with the Lakota.
(d) His love and respect of Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the book published?
2. Why did Dan feel it was stupid to be called an Indian?
3. What was the title of one of the books Nerburn wrote after working on the reservation?
4. In which South Western City was there a market where rich people could buy all kinds of Indian stuff?
5. What did Wenonah suggest Nerburn do?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)