|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Indians Grover was watching on television looked like what nationality?
(b) Puerto Ricans.
2. What did Nerburn use to pack his belongings?
(a) A small brown valise.
(b) A black canvas bag.
(c) A blue Samsonite suitcase.
(d) A green aviator's bag.
3. What did Dan and Grover say about Jumbo's ability to fix Nerburn's NIssan truck?
(a) They said he'd never be able to fix it.
(b) They said he'd probably sell it.
(c) They said he'd either fix it or kill it.
(d) They said he'd fix it and rent it out till Nerburn returned.
4. What did Grover, Dan and Nerburn have for lunch at Grover's house?
(a) Baloney sandwiches.
(b) Roast beef sandwiches.
(c) Tuna fish sandwiches.
(d) Grape jelly and peanut butter sandwiches.
5. How did the Indians measure people when times were bad?
(a) By whether they were poor.
(b) By how they shared.
(c) By whether they were rich.
(d) By whether they were able to survive.
6. According to Dan, what did the white man do to the land?
(a) Didn't love it.
(b) Developed it.
(c) Disrespected it.
(d) Turned it into property.
7. What was the only sign of industriousness that could be seen in the village?
(a) The cleanly swept sidewalks in front of the houses.
(b) The men working on their cars.
(c) The gardens behind each house.
(d) The line of laundry flapping in the wind behind each house.
8. When Dan asked what Gitchi-gumi was, what did Nerburn answer?
(a) Lake Huron.
(b) Lake Ontario.
(c) Lake Superior.
(d) Lake Michigan.
9. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
(a) A perfectly ordered woodpile.
(b) A wagon wheel.
(c) A small garden.
(d) An old, rusted truck
10. What was the name of the old Indian's dog?
(a) Old Yeller.
(c) Old Faithful.
(d) Round Tummy.
11. What was Grover doing when Dan and Nerburn came to visit him?
(b) Reading one of Nerburn's books.
(c) Watching a black and white cowboy movie on television.
(d) Fixing his Buick.
12. What kind of truck did Nerburn own?
(a) A Buick.
(b) A Ford.
(c) A Toyota.
(d) A Nissan.
13. What does "wakan" mean in English?
(a) Far away.
(b) Secret or hidden.
(c) Sacred or filled with power.
(d) Young or innocent.
14. What famous person from overseas saw "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show"?
(a) The King of England.
(b) The Queen of England.
(c) The King of Denmark.
(d) The Queen of Belgium.
15. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
(a) He feels he might do what they did if in their place.
(b) He pities the white man as an inferior being.
(c) He feels he has no alternative but to forgive.
(d) The land, the mountain and forest teach him to heal and forgive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Lakota people consider a sacred offering?
2. What did the Lakota people call the Creator?
3. Why did Dan feel it was stupid to be called an Indian?
4. What was Nerburn's first inclination to do after leaving his Nissan at Jumbo's?
5. In what year was the book published?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)