|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what piece of music was Nerburn reminded as they drove through the deepening evening?
(a) Handel's Messiah.
(b) Mozart's Coronation Mass.
(c) Bach's B Minor Mass.
(d) Telemann's C Minor Mass.
2. What are "pispiza"?
(a) Prairie dogs.
(b) Cherokee Indians.
(c) Sweet grasses.
(d) Lakota elders.
3. What did Dan particularly not like about Hippies?
(a) That they took drugs.
(b) The Hippie hand shake.
(c) Their bad manners.
(d) That they practiced free love.
4. How old was Grover?
(a) In his late forties.
(b) In his late thirties.
(c) In his early sixties.
(d) In his late fifties.
5. Describe the Hippie man.
(a) He was medium-build with long stringy hair.
(b) He was fat with two braids.
(c) He was big and brawny with a long straight ponytail.
(d) He was gaunt with a braided ponytail.
6. What color hatband was on Grover's cowboy hat?
(b) Navy blue.
7. What is the lie of the good man, according to Dan?
(a) A confession of ignorance.
(b) A white lie.
(c) Changing the subject of the conversation.
8. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
(a) A perfectly ordered woodpile.
(b) A small garden.
(c) An old, rusted truck
(d) A wagon wheel.
9. Where did Fatback live?
(a) In an old wooden dog house.
(b) In a dirt hollow she had dug beneath the junk car.
(c) In the house with Dan.
(d) Under Dan's front porch.
10. What did Dan's Indian friends call Nerburn?
(a) White man.
(b) City boy.
(c) Grizzly Adams.
11. What did Grover and Dan do as the car passed through the evening landscape?
(a) Grover drove but Dan fell asleep.
(b) They sang plaintive, warbling songs in Lakota.
(c) They whispered seeming secrets in Lakota.
(d) They started telling jokes about white people.
12. To what did Grover compare the white man's religious Communion in the Lakota society?
(b) The spring crop.
13. According to Dan, the Creator love the smell of what?
(a) The spring prairie flowers.
(b) The spring rain.
(c) Sweet grass sprinkled into a fire.
(d) The Indian camp fire.
14. What did Wenonah suggest Nerburn do?
(a) Sleep under the car.
(b) Give up writing the book.
(c) Become an honorary member of the Lakota tribe.
(d) Start cooking the meals for her and Dan.
15. What adjective did Nerburn use to describe what white people thought Indians were with which Dan agreed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the old Indian's dog?
2. What was the title of one of the books Nerburn wrote after working on the reservation?
3. What were the most important assets Nerburn had in writing the book?
4. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
5. What famous person from overseas saw "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show"?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)