|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "wakan" mean in English?
(a) Young or innocent.
(b) Secret or hidden.
(c) Far away.
(d) Sacred or filled with power.
2. What did the Indians feel the Creator disapproved of that the white man did?
(a) Dress differently and have different customs.
(b) Not honor the Indians and their ways.
(c) Make silly, stereotyped Indian movies.
(d) Offer money for land.
3. What did Grover insist they order at the truck stop?
(a) Fried eggs and bacon.
(b) Pancakes and sausages.
(c) Bacon double cheeseburgers and fries.
(d) Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches and fries.
4. When all the sacred Indian ceremonies are gone what will be left according to Dan?
(a) Their families.
(b) Their hearts.
(c) Their sorrows.
(d) Their memories.
5. What color was Grover's couch?
(a) Dark red.
6. What did Nerburn use to pack his belongings?
(a) A green aviator's bag.
(b) A blue Samsonite suitcase.
(c) A small brown valise.
(d) A black canvas bag.
7. Why did the woman from New York say the Red Road books were not helpful in finding out about the Indians?
(a) The Indians sounded "flat and uninteresting" in the books.
(b) She didn't care to learn the truth about the Lakota people.
(c) The Indians in the book weren't like the "movie Indians."
(d) She didn't trust a book written by a white man.
8. What do white people fear that Indians do not and even cultivate?
9. In what year was the book published?
10. In what kind of vehicle was the Hippie family traveling?
(a) A blue Volkswagen.
(b) An old van with an Indian scene painted on its side.
(c) An old station wagon with a dream-catcher hangin in it.
(d) A green school bus with red curtains.
11. What did Nerburn buy at the local store before proceeding to the old Indian's house?
(a) A candy bar.
(b) A pack of chewing gum.
(c) A soda.
(d) A pack of Prince Albert tobacco.
12. What was the only sign of industriousness that could be seen in the village?
(a) The men working on their cars.
(b) The line of laundry flapping in the wind behind each house.
(c) The gardens behind each house.
(d) The cleanly swept sidewalks in front of the houses.
13. What was the author doing when the seed for this book was planted in his mind?
(a) Sitting on his front porch watching the sun set.
(b) Day-dreaming about Indians and their values.
(c) Re-reading the other books he had written about Indians.
(d) Riding his motorcycle across North Dakota in August.
14. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard?
(a) I don't like junk.
(b) I like a neat yard.
(c) I don't have a dog.
(d) That's what being in the service did to me.
15. When was a man supposed to wear an eagle feather?
(a) When he found it in nature.
(b) When he earned it in battle or a veteran gave it to him.
(c) During a Pow Wow.
(d) When his mother gave it to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Dan and the Lakota people feel about being called Indians?
2. Describe Nerburn's immediate family.
3. What did Dan like about Nerburn?
4. Why did the Lakota Elder want to talk with Nerburn?
5. Where did Fatback live?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)