|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what reservation had Nerburn worked several years before?
(a) The Red Dog Reservation.
(b) The Dakota Black Hills Reservation.
(c) The Sacred Buffalo Reservation,
(d) The Red Lake Objibwe Reservation.
2. How do Dan and the Lakota people feel about being called Indians?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are highly insulted.
(c) They are fighting mad.
(d) They don't care about something like a name.
3. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
(a) The land, the mountain and forest teach him to heal and forgive.
(b) He pities the white man as an inferior being.
(c) He feels he has no alternative but to forgive.
(d) He feels he might do what they did if in their place.
4. What did Dan's granddaughter put in the breakfast oatmeal?
(b) Bacon grease.
5. What was inside the three-sided wooden structure Nerburn came across on his motorcycle trip?
(a) An offering of free fruits and vegetables to passers-by.
(b) Three stones with Lakota traditions inscribed in them.
(c) A wood carving of a Lakota Indian.
(d) A sacred Lakota buffalo rock.
6. What is the lie of the good man, according to Dan?
(a) A white lie.
(b) Changing the subject of the conversation.
(d) A confession of ignorance.
7. In which South Western City was there a market where rich people could buy all kinds of Indian stuff?
(a) San Antonio.
(c) El Paso.
(d) Santa Fe.
8. Why did the Lakota Elder want to talk with Nerburn?
(a) He was interested in white people.
(b) He had seen the two books Nerburn had written.
(c) He was curious about Nerburn's interest in the Lakota.
(d) He wanted to invite him to a pow wow.
9. What did Dan like about Nerburn?
(a) He was thoughtful.
(b) He wasn't trying to be an Indian.
(c) He was polite.
(d) He was quiet.
10. Why did the woman from New York say the Red Road books were not helpful in finding out about the Indians?
(a) She didn't trust a book written by a white man.
(b) The Indians in the book weren't like the "movie Indians."
(c) The Indians sounded "flat and uninteresting" in the books.
(d) She didn't care to learn the truth about the Lakota people.
11. In what year was the book updated?
12. About how much did Jumbo the car mechanic weigh?
(a) 295 lbs.
(b) Well over 350 lbs.
(c) 500 lbs.
(d) Well over 400 lbs.
13. How much did Dan's grandmother receive for sitting on a blanket and having her picture taken?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A quarter.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) A dime.
14. According to Dan, the Creator love the smell of what?
(a) The spring rain.
(b) The Indian camp fire.
(c) The spring prairie flowers.
(d) Sweet grass sprinkled into a fire.
15. To what did Grover compare the white man's religious Communion in the Lakota society?
(a) The spring crop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective did Nerburn use to describe what white people thought Indians were with which Dan agreed?
2. What famous person from overseas saw "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show"?
3. The Indians Grover was watching on television looked like what nationality?
4. What did Dan's Indian friends call Nerburn?
5. What movie star did Dan like?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)