|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dan particularly not like about Hippies?
(a) The Hippie hand shake.
(b) That they practiced free love.
(c) That they took drugs.
(d) Their bad manners.
2. What did Nerburn use to pack his belongings?
(a) A green aviator's bag.
(b) A blue Samsonite suitcase.
(c) A small brown valise.
(d) A black canvas bag.
3. Nerburn got a phone call from whom in Chapter 1?
(a) His son.
(b) An Indian Elder.
(c) His publisher.
(d) An Indian woman.
4. What did Grover insist they order at the truck stop?
(a) Bacon double cheeseburgers and fries.
(b) Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches and fries.
(c) Fried eggs and bacon.
(d) Pancakes and sausages.
5. According to Dan, how do white people learn?
(a) By reading.
(b) By listening.
(c) By experimenting.
(d) By talking.
6. Where was Grover's house located?
(a) Down the road from Dan's house.
(b) In the middle of the village.
(c) In the next village.
(d) On the other side of the village.
7. Describe Nerburn's immediate family.
(a) A wife, a small blond daughter and a teenage boy.
(b) A wife, a teenage daughter and a young boy.
(c) A wife and two teenage daughters.
(d) A wife and two teenage sons.
8. What kind of truck did Nerburn own?
(a) A Toyota.
(b) A Nissan.
(c) A Ford.
(d) A Buick.
9. In which South Western City was there a market where rich people could buy all kinds of Indian stuff?
(a) El Paso.
(b) Santa Fe.
(c) San Antonio.
10. What adjective did Nerburn use to describe what white people thought Indians were with which Dan agreed?
11. Describe the Hippie man.
(a) He was big and brawny with a long straight ponytail.
(b) He was gaunt with a braided ponytail.
(c) He was fat with two braids.
(d) He was medium-build with long stringy hair.
12. What was the only sign of industriousness that could be seen in the village?
(a) The gardens behind each house.
(b) The men working on their cars.
(c) The cleanly swept sidewalks in front of the houses.
(d) The line of laundry flapping in the wind behind each house.
13. What did the guys in Grover's unit call him when he was in Korea?
(a) Red man.
14. What criticisms did Grover have for the first chapters Nerburn wrote?
(a) They were not authentic and full of lies.
(b) They were too short and used large words.
(c) They sounded too much like stories of "movie Indians."
(d) They were too poetic and fancy.
15. What were the most important assets Nerburn had in writing the book?
(a) His love and respect of Indians.
(b) The pen and the tape recorder.
(c) Dan's notes and clippings in the shoebox.
(d) His previous experience with the Lakota.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Dan and Nerburn listening to as they sat on Dan's front porch?
2. Of what piece of music was Nerburn reminded as they drove through the deepening evening?
3. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
4. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
5. How did Nerburn feel when he was among the Indians?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)