|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How fast did Grover drive his Buick?
(a) He drove about 60 miles per hour.
(b) He drove at exactly the speed limit.
(c) He crept along at about 30 miles per hour.
(d) He seldom drove over 45 miles per hour.
2. Where did Fatback live?
(a) In a dirt hollow she had dug beneath the junk car.
(b) Under Dan's front porch.
(c) In an old wooden dog house.
(d) In the house with Dan.
3. The Indians Grover was watching on television looked like what nationality?
(d) Puerto Ricans.
4. According to Dan, how do white people learn?
(a) By listening.
(b) By reading.
(c) By experimenting.
(d) By talking.
5. Who was in "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show" for awhile?
(a) A Navajo medicine man.
(b) Lakota elders.
(c) Black Elk.
(d) Sitting Bull.
6. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
(a) A wagon wheel.
(b) An old, rusted truck
(c) A small garden.
(d) A perfectly ordered woodpile.
7. How did Nerburn feel when he was among the Indians?
(a) Angry and aggressive.
(b) Happy and honored.
(c) Anxious and fearful.
(d) Curious and defensive.
8. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
(a) Each reservation was a different pastel color mass.
(b) By large black capital letters.
(c) They were surrounded by solid red lines.
(d) By slightly off-colored squares surrounded by dotted lines.
9. Nerburn got a phone call from whom in Chapter 1?
(a) An Indian woman.
(b) His son.
(c) An Indian Elder.
(d) His publisher.
10. What did Grover, Dan and Nerburn have for lunch at Grover's house?
(a) Baloney sandwiches.
(b) Roast beef sandwiches.
(c) Grape jelly and peanut butter sandwiches.
(d) Tuna fish sandwiches.
11. What drug did Nerburn take in the sixties that mimicked the experience Dan had listening to the dead?
12. What was the name of the old Indian's dog?
(a) Old Yeller.
(c) Old Faithful.
(d) Round Tummy.
13. What was outside of the Old Indian's house?
(a) A small vegetable garden.
(b) Two cars, one on blocks.
(c) An outhouse.
(d) A large Cadillac.
14. When was a man supposed to wear an eagle feather?
(a) During a Pow Wow.
(b) When he found it in nature.
(c) When his mother gave it to him.
(d) When he earned it in battle or a veteran gave it to him.
15. What adjective did Nerburn use to describe what white people thought Indians were with which Dan agreed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Grover and Dan do as the car passed through the evening landscape?
2. How did Grover wear his hair?
3. What were the most important assets Nerburn had in writing the book?
4. Dan's lifestyle was like whose?
5. What was inside the three-sided wooden structure Nerburn came across on his motorcycle trip?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)