|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of truck did Nerburn own?
(a) A Ford.
(b) A Nissan.
(c) A Buick.
(d) A Toyota.
2. What was the only sign of industriousness that could be seen in the village?
(a) The gardens behind each house.
(b) The men working on their cars.
(c) The cleanly swept sidewalks in front of the houses.
(d) The line of laundry flapping in the wind behind each house.
3. What did Nerburn use to pack his belongings?
(a) A green aviator's bag.
(b) A black canvas bag.
(c) A small brown valise.
(d) A blue Samsonite suitcase.
4. What sentence, according to Nerburn, sums up America?
(a) "We are number one."
(b) "From sea to shining sea."
(c) "We are the land of the free."
(d) "What's in it for me?"
5. What color was Grover's Buick?
6. Where did Fatback live?
(a) In an old wooden dog house.
(b) In the house with Dan.
(c) In a dirt hollow she had dug beneath the junk car.
(d) Under Dan's front porch.
7. What was the name of the old Indian's dog?
(a) Round Tummy.
(b) Old Yeller.
(c) Old Faithful.
8. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
(a) Each reservation was a different pastel color mass.
(b) By slightly off-colored squares surrounded by dotted lines.
(c) By large black capital letters.
(d) They were surrounded by solid red lines.
9. Why didn't Nerburn play cards?
(a) He had never learned how to play.
(b) He felt it led to gambling.
(c) He thought it was a waste of time.
(d) He disapproved of playing cards.
10. What Indian had counseled reaching out a hand of peace to the white people?
(a) Sitting Bull.
(b) Black Kettle.
(c) Black Stag.
(d) Running Horse.
11. How much did Dan's grandmother receive for sitting on a blanket and having her picture taken?
(a) A nickel.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) A dime.
(d) A quarter.
12. Where was Grover's house located?
(a) Down the road from Dan's house.
(b) In the middle of the village.
(c) On the other side of the village.
(d) In the next village.
13. What did Dan like about Nerburn?
(a) He wasn't trying to be an Indian.
(b) He was quiet.
(c) He was polite.
(d) He was thoughtful.
14. Why did the woman from New York say the Red Road books were not helpful in finding out about the Indians?
(a) The Indians in the book weren't like the "movie Indians."
(b) She didn't trust a book written by a white man.
(c) The Indians sounded "flat and uninteresting" in the books.
(d) She didn't care to learn the truth about the Lakota people.
15. On what reservation had Nerburn worked several years before?
(a) The Dakota Black Hills Reservation.
(b) The Red Lake Objibwe Reservation.
(c) The Sacred Buffalo Reservation,
(d) The Red Dog Reservation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Nerburn sit next to in the Buick on the trip?
2. Why did the Lakota Elder want to talk with Nerburn?
3. What movie star did Dan like?
4. According to Dan, what did the white man do to the land?
5. What famous person from overseas saw "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show"?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)