|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the woman from New York say the Red Road books were not helpful in finding out about the Indians?
(a) She didn't care to learn the truth about the Lakota people.
(b) The Indians sounded "flat and uninteresting" in the books.
(c) The Indians in the book weren't like the "movie Indians."
(d) She didn't trust a book written by a white man.
2. What did the Lakota word "wasichu" mean in English?
(b) White man.
3. What did the Lakota people call the Creator?
(a) Watiki Tokan.
(b) Walka Tenken.
(c) The Great Spirit.
(d) Wakan Tanka.
4. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
(a) He pities the white man as an inferior being.
(b) He feels he might do what they did if in their place.
(c) He feels he has no alternative but to forgive.
(d) The land, the mountain and forest teach him to heal and forgive.
5. What famous person from overseas saw "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show"?
(a) The Queen of Belgium.
(b) The King of England.
(c) The King of Denmark.
(d) The Queen of England.
6. What color was Nerburn's truck?
7. What did Nerburn use to pack his belongings?
(a) A green aviator's bag.
(b) A black canvas bag.
(c) A small brown valise.
(d) A blue Samsonite suitcase.
8. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
(a) An old, rusted truck
(b) A wagon wheel.
(c) A small garden.
(d) A perfectly ordered woodpile.
9. To what did Grover compare the white man's religious Communion in the Lakota society?
(d) The spring crop.
10. What was inside the three-sided wooden structure Nerburn came across on his motorcycle trip?
(a) An offering of free fruits and vegetables to passers-by.
(b) A sacred Lakota buffalo rock.
(c) Three stones with Lakota traditions inscribed in them.
(d) A wood carving of a Lakota Indian.
11. Who was in "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show" for awhile?
(a) Sitting Bull.
(b) A Navajo medicine man.
(c) Black Elk.
(d) Lakota elders.
12. In which South Western City was there a market where rich people could buy all kinds of Indian stuff?
(b) Santa Fe.
(c) San Antonio.
(d) El Paso.
13. What had an old farmer in Bismarck told Nerburn when he asked why he never went east?
(a) He said, "there are too many big cities in the east."
(b) He said "nah, trees make me nervous."
(c) He said, "I can't afford the trip."
(d) He said, "It's too expensive in the east."
14. Where did Fatback live?
(a) In a dirt hollow she had dug beneath the junk car.
(b) In an old wooden dog house.
(c) In the house with Dan.
(d) Under Dan's front porch.
15. In what kind of vehicle was the Hippie family traveling?
(a) A blue Volkswagen.
(b) An old station wagon with a dream-catcher hangin in it.
(c) An old van with an Indian scene painted on its side.
(d) A green school bus with red curtains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Nerburn's immediate family.
2. What movie star did Dan like?
3. What kind of horses were all the Indians in the television cowboy movie riding?
4. When Dan asked what Gitchi-gumi was, what did Nerburn answer?
5. In what year was the book published?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)