|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color was Grover's couch?
(d) Dark red.
2. Dan's lifestyle was like whose?
(b) His granddaughter's.
(c) The Lakota tribe's.
3. Why did the Lakota Elder want to talk with Nerburn?
(a) He was curious about Nerburn's interest in the Lakota.
(b) He was interested in white people.
(c) He wanted to invite him to a pow wow.
(d) He had seen the two books Nerburn had written.
4. When was a man supposed to wear an eagle feather?
(a) When he found it in nature.
(b) When his mother gave it to him.
(c) During a Pow Wow.
(d) When he earned it in battle or a veteran gave it to him.
5. What Indian had counseled reaching out a hand of peace to the white people?
(a) Sitting Bull.
(b) Running Horse.
(c) Black Kettle.
(d) Black Stag.
6. In what year was the book updated?
7. Why did the woman from New York say the Red Road books were not helpful in finding out about the Indians?
(a) She didn't care to learn the truth about the Lakota people.
(b) The Indians sounded "flat and uninteresting" in the books.
(c) The Indians in the book weren't like the "movie Indians."
(d) She didn't trust a book written by a white man.
8. According to Dan, what did the white man do to the land?
(a) Developed it.
(b) Didn't love it.
(c) Disrespected it.
(d) Turned it into property.
9. Nerburn got a phone call from whom in Chapter 1?
(a) An Indian Elder.
(b) His son.
(c) His publisher.
(d) An Indian woman.
10. What was the author doing when the seed for this book was planted in his mind?
(a) Re-reading the other books he had written about Indians.
(b) Riding his motorcycle across North Dakota in August.
(c) Sitting on his front porch watching the sun set.
(d) Day-dreaming about Indians and their values.
11. What color was Nerburn's truck?
12. What did Dan's Indian friends call Nerburn?
(a) White man.
(b) City boy.
(c) Grizzly Adams.
13. What did the guys in Grover's unit call him when he was in Korea?
(d) Red man.
14. When Dan asked what Gitchi-gumi was, what did Nerburn answer?
(a) Lake Huron.
(b) Lake Michigan.
(c) Lake Ontario.
(d) Lake Superior.
15. How do Dan and the Lakota people feel about being called Indians?
(a) They don't care about something like a name.
(b) They are highly insulted.
(c) They are fighting mad.
(d) They are amused.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what reservation had Nerburn worked several years before?
2. What did Dan particularly not like about Hippies?
3. How did Nerburn feel when he was among the Indians?
4. In what year was the book published?
5. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)