|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the lie of the good man, according to Dan?
(a) A white lie.
(b) A confession of ignorance.
(c) Changing the subject of the conversation.
2. Dan's lifestyle was like whose?
(c) His granddaughter's.
(d) The Lakota tribe's.
3. How did the Indians measure people when times were bad?
(a) By whether they were rich.
(b) By whether they were able to survive.
(c) By how they shared.
(d) By whether they were poor.
4. What color was Grover's couch?
(c) Dark red.
5. What color was Grover's Buick?
6. What did Dan consider bullshit regarding the white people's way of life?
(a) The white people's marriage customs.
(b) The white people's emphasis on education.
(c) The white people's attitude toward possessions.
(d) The white people's way of raising their children.
7. What criticisms did Grover have for the first chapters Nerburn wrote?
(a) They were too poetic and fancy.
(b) They were not authentic and full of lies.
(c) They were too short and used large words.
(d) They sounded too much like stories of "movie Indians."
8. About how much did Jumbo the car mechanic weigh?
(a) Well over 400 lbs.
(b) 295 lbs.
(c) 500 lbs.
(d) Well over 350 lbs.
9. Where did Fatback live?
(a) In a dirt hollow she had dug beneath the junk car.
(b) Under Dan's front porch.
(c) In the house with Dan.
(d) In an old wooden dog house.
10. What did Wenonah suggest Nerburn do?
(a) Give up writing the book.
(b) Start cooking the meals for her and Dan.
(c) Sleep under the car.
(d) Become an honorary member of the Lakota tribe.
11. Describe the Hippie man.
(a) He was big and brawny with a long straight ponytail.
(b) He was medium-build with long stringy hair.
(c) He was gaunt with a braided ponytail.
(d) He was fat with two braids.
12. Of what piece of music was Nerburn reminded as they drove through the deepening evening?
(a) Bach's B Minor Mass.
(b) Mozart's Coronation Mass.
(c) Telemann's C Minor Mass.
(d) Handel's Messiah.
13. Who did Nerburn sit next to in the Buick on the trip?
14. What did Dan like about Nerburn?
(a) He was quiet.
(b) He wasn't trying to be an Indian.
(c) He was thoughtful.
(d) He was polite.
15. What color hatband was on Grover's cowboy hat?
(a) Navy blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Indian people did Dan say were killing Indians?
2. How were the reservations defined on Nerburn's map?
3. What Indian had counseled reaching out a hand of peace to the white people?
4. What movie star did Dan like?
5. What did the Lakota people consider a sacred offering?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)