|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Grover and Dan do as the car passed through the evening landscape?
(a) They sang plaintive, warbling songs in Lakota.
(b) They started telling jokes about white people.
(c) They whispered seeming secrets in Lakota.
(d) Grover drove but Dan fell asleep.
2. What did the Lakota people call the Creator?
(a) Watiki Tokan.
(b) Wakan Tanka.
(c) The Great Spirit.
(d) Walka Tenken.
3. What were Dan and Nerburn listening to as they sat on Dan's front porch?
(a) Dan's granddaughter singing as she worked.
(b) The approach of Grover's car.
(c) Fatback's barking.
(d) The larksong and the morning wind.
4. What did Dan and Grover say about Jumbo's ability to fix Nerburn's NIssan truck?
(a) They said he'd never be able to fix it.
(b) They said he'd fix it and rent it out till Nerburn returned.
(c) They said he'd probably sell it.
(d) They said he'd either fix it or kill it.
5. What did Dan consider bullshit regarding the white people's way of life?
(a) The white people's marriage customs.
(b) The white people's way of raising their children.
(c) The white people's attitude toward possessions.
(d) The white people's emphasis on education.
6. What are "pispiza"?
(a) Sweet grasses.
(b) Cherokee Indians.
(c) Prairie dogs.
(d) Lakota elders.
7. How did the Indians measure people when times were bad?
(a) By whether they were able to survive.
(b) By whether they were rich.
(c) By whether they were poor.
(d) By how they shared.
8. Of what piece of music was Nerburn reminded as they drove through the deepening evening?
(a) Mozart's Coronation Mass.
(b) Handel's Messiah.
(c) Bach's B Minor Mass.
(d) Telemann's C Minor Mass.
9. Describe the Hippie man.
(a) He was gaunt with a braided ponytail.
(b) He was medium-build with long stringy hair.
(c) He was fat with two braids.
(d) He was big and brawny with a long straight ponytail.
10. About how much did Jumbo the car mechanic weigh?
(a) Well over 400 lbs.
(b) 500 lbs.
(c) Well over 350 lbs.
(d) 295 lbs.
11. What had an old farmer in Bismarck told Nerburn when he asked why he never went east?
(a) He said "nah, trees make me nervous."
(b) He said, "I can't afford the trip."
(c) He said, "there are too many big cities in the east."
(d) He said, "It's too expensive in the east."
12. How do Dan and the Lakota people feel about being called Indians?
(a) They are highly insulted.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are fighting mad.
(d) They don't care about something like a name.
13. What tribe of Indians were the cowboys fighting in the movie Grover was watching?
14. On what reservation had Nerburn worked several years before?
(a) The Dakota Black Hills Reservation.
(b) The Red Lake Objibwe Reservation.
(c) The Red Dog Reservation.
(d) The Sacred Buffalo Reservation,
15. What was Nerburn's first inclination to do after leaving his Nissan at Jumbo's?
(a) He wanted to go to Dan's house and work on the book.
(b) He wanted to go to the motel and sleep till it was over.
(c) He wanted to take the trip with Grover and Dan.
(d) He wanted to stay in the village and explore it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request did the Indian woman have when she called Nerburn?
2. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
3. What does "wakan" mean in English?
4. How old was Grover?
5. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)