|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do white people fear that Indians do not and even cultivate?
2. To what did Grover compare the white man's religious Communion in the Lakota society?
(c) The spring crop.
3. What was the name of the old Indian's dog?
(a) Old Faithful.
(b) Round Tummy.
(c) Old Yeller.
4. Where did Fatback live?
(a) In the house with Dan.
(b) In an old wooden dog house.
(c) Under Dan's front porch.
(d) In a dirt hollow she had dug beneath the junk car.
5. According to Dan, what did the white man do to the land?
(a) Disrespected it.
(b) Developed it.
(c) Turned it into property.
(d) Didn't love it.
6. What did Dan's Indian friends call Nerburn?
(b) Grizzly Adams.
(c) City boy.
(d) White man.
7. Why did Dan feel it was stupid to be called an Indian?
(a) Because it was demeaning.
(b) Because Columbus thought he had found the East Indies.
(c) Because it wasn't a Lakota term.
(d) Because he was really a Native American.
8. How did Grover wear his hair?
(a) Long and straggly hanging loose.
(b) In a pony tail.
(c) Medium length parted at the side.
(d) In a crew cut.
9. What Indian people did Dan say were killing Indians?
(a) The Indians who sold the sacred ways.
(b) The Indians who intermarried with whites.
(c) The Indians who adopted white ways.
(d) The Indians who became rich and moved away.
10. What famous person from overseas saw "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show"?
(a) The King of Denmark.
(b) The Queen of England.
(c) The King of England.
(d) The Queen of Belgium.
11. What was the Indian philosophy of ownership?
(a) The more things you owned, the better.
(b) No one dare violate one's ownership of something.
(c) If you owned a lot of things others looked up to you,.
(d) You owned it as long as you needed it then passed it on.
12. In what kind of vehicle was the Hippie family traveling?
(a) A green school bus with red curtains.
(b) An old van with an Indian scene painted on its side.
(c) A blue Volkswagen.
(d) An old station wagon with a dream-catcher hangin in it.
13. When was a man supposed to wear an eagle feather?
(a) When he earned it in battle or a veteran gave it to him.
(b) When he found it in nature.
(c) When his mother gave it to him.
(d) During a Pow Wow.
14. What are "pispiza"?
(a) Lakota elders.
(b) Cherokee Indians.
(c) Sweet grasses.
(d) Prairie dogs.
15. How old was Grover?
(a) In his early sixties.
(b) In his late forties.
(c) In his late fifties.
(d) In his late thirties.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dan asked what Gitchi-gumi was, what did Nerburn answer?
2. According to Dan, the Creator love the smell of what?
3. On what kind of sandwich did Grover often make for which Dan complimented him?
4. Where was Grover's house located?
5. What did Wenonah suggest Nerburn do?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)