|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Indian had counseled reaching out a hand of peace to the white people?
(a) Running Horse.
(b) Black Stag.
(c) Sitting Bull.
(d) Black Kettle.
2. What was the name of the old Indian's dog?
(a) Round Tummy.
(b) Old Faithful.
(d) Old Yeller.
3. In what year was the book published?
4. Nerburn got a phone call from whom in Chapter 1?
(a) An Indian Elder.
(b) His son.
(c) His publisher.
(d) An Indian woman.
5. What color was Grover's couch?
(b) Dark red.
6. What was Grover doing when Dan and Nerburn came to visit him?
(a) Watching a black and white cowboy movie on television.
(c) Reading one of Nerburn's books.
(d) Fixing his Buick.
7. What was the only sign of industriousness that could be seen in the village?
(a) The men working on their cars.
(b) The cleanly swept sidewalks in front of the houses.
(c) The gardens behind each house.
(d) The line of laundry flapping in the wind behind each house.
8. How fast did Grover drive his Buick?
(a) He drove at exactly the speed limit.
(b) He crept along at about 30 miles per hour.
(c) He drove about 60 miles per hour.
(d) He seldom drove over 45 miles per hour.
9. In what year was the book updated?
10. What did the Lakota word "wasichu" mean in English?
(c) White man.
11. How far apart were the houses in the village?
(a) About a quarter of a mile apart.
(b) About 75 ft. from one another.
(c) About a half a mile apart.
(d) About a mile apart.
12. How did Nerburn feel when he was among the Indians?
(a) Curious and defensive.
(b) Angry and aggressive.
(c) Happy and honored.
(d) Anxious and fearful.
13. How did Grover wear his hair?
(a) In a pony tail.
(b) Medium length parted at the side.
(c) In a crew cut.
(d) Long and straggly hanging loose.
14. What Indian people did Dan say were killing Indians?
(a) The Indians who sold the sacred ways.
(b) The Indians who intermarried with whites.
(c) The Indians who became rich and moved away.
(d) The Indians who adopted white ways.
15. What did Dan and Grover say about Jumbo's ability to fix Nerburn's NIssan truck?
(a) They said he'd never be able to fix it.
(b) They said he'd fix it and rent it out till Nerburn returned.
(c) They said he'd probably sell it.
(d) They said he'd either fix it or kill it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are "pispiza"?
2. What was the title of one of the books Nerburn wrote after working on the reservation?
3. What color hatband was on Grover's cowboy hat?
4. On what kind of sandwich did Grover often make for which Dan complimented him?
5. What color was Nerburn's truck?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)