|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what piece of music was Nerburn reminded as they drove through the deepening evening?
(a) Handel's Messiah.
(b) Telemann's C Minor Mass.
(c) Mozart's Coronation Mass.
(d) Bach's B Minor Mass.
2. What was Grover's answer when Dan asked him why he didn't have any junk cars in his yard?
(a) I don't like junk.
(b) I don't have a dog.
(c) That's what being in the service did to me.
(d) I like a neat yard.
3. Who was in "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show" for awhile?
(a) Black Elk.
(b) Sitting Bull.
(c) Lakota elders.
(d) A Navajo medicine man.
4. What tribe of Indians were the cowboys fighting in the movie Grover was watching?
5. What was in the yard to the left of Grover's house?
(a) A wagon wheel.
(b) A perfectly ordered woodpile.
(c) An old, rusted truck
(d) A small garden.
6. On what kind of sandwich did Grover often make for which Dan complimented him?
(a) Tuna fish sandwich.
(b) Roast Beef sandwich.
(c) Baloney sandwich.
(d) Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
7. Where did Fatback live?
(a) Under Dan's front porch.
(b) In an old wooden dog house.
(c) In the house with Dan.
(d) In a dirt hollow she had dug beneath the junk car.
8. What did Dan consider bullshit regarding the white people's way of life?
(a) The white people's emphasis on education.
(b) The white people's attitude toward possessions.
(c) The white people's way of raising their children.
(d) The white people's marriage customs.
9. What did Dan and Grover say about Jumbo's ability to fix Nerburn's NIssan truck?
(a) They said he'd either fix it or kill it.
(b) They said he'd fix it and rent it out till Nerburn returned.
(c) They said he'd probably sell it.
(d) They said he'd never be able to fix it.
10. What did the Lakota people consider a sacred offering?
(c) Buffalo hides.
(d) River stones.
11. What did Dan's granddaughter put in the breakfast oatmeal?
(c) Bacon grease.
12. How fast did Grover drive his Buick?
(a) He seldom drove over 45 miles per hour.
(b) He crept along at about 30 miles per hour.
(c) He drove at exactly the speed limit.
(d) He drove about 60 miles per hour.
13. What color hatband was on Grover's cowboy hat?
(d) Navy blue.
14. What did Dan particularly not like about Hippies?
(a) That they took drugs.
(b) The Hippie hand shake.
(c) Their bad manners.
(d) That they practiced free love.
15. Describe the Hippie man.
(a) He was fat with two braids.
(b) He was gaunt with a braided ponytail.
(c) He was medium-build with long stringy hair.
(d) He was big and brawny with a long straight ponytail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do white people fear that Indians do not and even cultivate?
2. What was the name of the old Indian's dog?
3. What request did the Indian woman have when she called Nerburn?
4. What were the most important assets Nerburn had in writing the book?
5. According to Dan, what did the white man do to the land?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)