|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4 through 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what reservation had Nerburn worked several years before?
(a) The Red Dog Reservation.
(b) The Red Lake Objibwe Reservation.
(c) The Dakota Black Hills Reservation.
(d) The Sacred Buffalo Reservation,
2. Why does Dan feel he should forgive the white man?
(a) The land, the mountain and forest teach him to heal and forgive.
(b) He feels he might do what they did if in their place.
(c) He feels he has no alternative but to forgive.
(d) He pities the white man as an inferior being.
3. What was the author doing when the seed for this book was planted in his mind?
(a) Riding his motorcycle across North Dakota in August.
(b) Day-dreaming about Indians and their values.
(c) Re-reading the other books he had written about Indians.
(d) Sitting on his front porch watching the sun set.
4. What were the most important assets Nerburn had in writing the book?
(a) The pen and the tape recorder.
(b) His previous experience with the Lakota.
(c) His love and respect of Indians.
(d) Dan's notes and clippings in the shoebox.
5. Where was Grover's house located?
(a) In the next village.
(b) In the middle of the village.
(c) On the other side of the village.
(d) Down the road from Dan's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug did Nerburn take in the sixties that mimicked the experience Dan had listening to the dead?
2. What was the Indian philosophy of ownership?
3. What was the title of one of the books Nerburn wrote after working on the reservation?
4. What did Wenonah suggest Nerburn do?
5. How did Nerburn feel when he was among the Indians?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)