|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many annas do Nathan and Rukmani earn from the overseer where they are working in the city?
2. How is Ira earning the money she is using to buy food for her brother?
3. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
4. Where is Nathan when he dies?
5. Who does Rukmani actually find in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Indian village, daughters are seen as a burden, while sons are seen as a benefit.
a. Why are daughters seen as a burden? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
b. Why are sons seen as a benefit? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
c. Is the same true today, daughters are a burden, while sons are a benefit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Old Granny and Biswas are both customers of Rukmani's. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Biswas in terms of their ability to pay, relationship to Rukmani, and standing in the village community.
Essay Topic 3
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)