|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Puli?
2. During which season is Ira's child born?
3. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
4. Where do Rukmani and Nathan go after leaving the doctor's house?
5. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
Essay Topic 1
In the Indian culture that Rukmani is born into, birth order is of vital importance.
a. Why is birth order important in Rukmani's culture? How does birth order affect sons? How does birth order affect daughters?
b. Where is Rukmani in birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
c. Where is Ira in the birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
Essay Topic 2
Two women are generous and kind to Rukmani when she desperately needs it.
a. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Brila.
b. How do they each care for Rukmani?
c. What do they each provide for Rukmani?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, we see Rukmani's inner strength as she deals with the various situations that arise in her life. Identify the difficult situations and discuss how Rukmani's strength helps her endure these situations at the following stages of her life:
a. The early days of her marriage, before Ira is born.
b. The days following the monsoon.
c. After Ira moves back in.
d. When their farm is sold.
e. When they are in the city.
This section contains 1,476 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)