|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rukmani feel some relief when her son finally dies of starvation?
2. Where is Old Granny's body found?
3. One night, Rukmani awakens to hear footsteps in her house. Who does Rukmani fear is in her house?
4. After their first night in the city, what do Rukmani and Nathan own?
5. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rukmani meets three women at the brook doing laundry shortly after her arrival in the village. These women become important to Rukmani and we see them time and time again throughout our story. Identify and describe these three women. Compare and contrast the three of them with Rukmani.
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani and Nathan travel to the city to find their son. Instead of finding their son, however, they find his wife and learn that their son has deserted her. Ammu is now a single mother, as is Ira back in the village. Single parenthood drastically changes both of their lives.
a. Compare and contrast the lives of Ammu and Ira as single parents.
b. Compare and contrast single parenthood in the novel and in our society.
c. How did living in the city versus being in the village impact the situations of both Ammu and Ira?
Essay Topic 3
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)