|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rukmani goes to the river to wash Ira's garment, what does she find in the garment's folds?
2. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
3. Shortly after Sacrabani's birth, something happens to Nathan for the first time. What is it?
4. Which of Rukmani's sons marries of his own accord?
5. Who does Rukmani actually find in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were a number of coping methods that helped the various characters in the story deal with situations in their lives. How did the following people cope? Be sure to describe a particular situation in the story and tell how they dealt with the situation.
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani and Nathan have the opportunity to experience both country and city life in the story.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in the city versus the living conditions in the village. Include generosity, living conditions, poverty levels, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Rukmani between the city and their village?
c. What, if anything, does Rukmani like about the city?
d. What, if anything, does Rukmani wish would change in the village?
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled "Nectar in a Sieve". Why does the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Rukmani's life?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)