|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rukmani actually find in the house?
2. One night, Rukmani awakens to hear footsteps in her house. Who does Rukmani fear is in her house?
3. When they reach the doctor's house where their son works, what are Rukmani and Nathan told by the servants?
4. In order to earn enough money to return to their village, Nathan and Rukmani continue to work in the city in spite of the rain that begins to fall. How many days in a row does it rain?
5. What affliction is Ira's son born with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrabani is born into Rukmani's family under interesting circumstances that will impact his life forever.
a. What are the circumstances surrounding Sacrabani and his birth?
b. How does being different from the other children affect Sacrabani's life?
c. Which impacts Sacrabani's treatment by others more, the circumstances surrounding his birth or his appearance? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)