|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kenny recommend that Nathan needs to eat when he is ill in order to regain his strength?
2. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
3. Why does Kenny not help Rukmani when ask. him for food during the drought?
4. How much money do Rukmani and Nathan leave the village with?
5. Which of Rukmani's sons marries of his own accord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
Essay Topic 2
In the Indian village, daughters are seen as a burden, while sons are seen as a benefit.
a. Why are daughters seen as a burden? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
b. Why are sons seen as a benefit? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
c. Is the same true today, daughters are a burden, while sons are a benefit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,493 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)