|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Puli?
2. During which season is Ira's child born?
3. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
4. Where do Rukmani and Nathan go after leaving the doctor's house?
5. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled "Nectar in a Sieve". Why does the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Rukmani's life?
Essay Topic 2
There were a number of coping methods that helped the various characters in the story deal with situations in their lives. How did the following people cope? Be sure to describe a particular situation in the story and tell how they dealt with the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
This section contains 1,476 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)