|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
2. As the drought continues, how much food is available for the family when Rukmani first measures it?
3. Where is Old Granny's body found?
4. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
5. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rukmani and Nathan have the opportunity to experience both country and city life in the story.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in the city versus the living conditions in the village. Include generosity, living conditions, poverty levels, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Rukmani between the city and their village?
c. What, if anything, does Rukmani like about the city?
d. What, if anything, does Rukmani wish would change in the village?
Essay Topic 2
There were a number of coping methods that helped the various characters in the story deal with situations in their lives. How did the following people cope? Be sure to describe a particular situation in the story and tell how they dealt with the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Old Granny and Biswas are both customers of Rukmani's. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Biswas in terms of their ability to pay, relationship to Rukmani, and standing in the village community.
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)