|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
2. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
3. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
4. What does Kenny recommend that Nathan needs to eat when he is ill in order to regain his strength?
5. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is one of the themes visited throughout the novel.
a. Kuti, Raja, and Nathan all die in the novel. Describe their deaths. Who were they surrounded by? What circumstances led to their deaths? Could their deaths have been prevented?
b. Compare and contrast the effect each of their deaths has on Rukmani (Kuti, Old Granny, and Nathan).
c. How were deaths handled in the city versus in the village?
d. After Old Granny's death, Rukmani realizes something about the nature of people. What is it? Do you agree with Rukmani? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Two women are generous and kind to Rukmani when she desperately needs it.
a. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Brila.
b. How do they each care for Rukmani?
c. What do they each provide for Rukmani?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)