|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Nathan's sons has no skill for farming?
2. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
3. Nathan and Rukmani's guide tells them of a better way to earn money in the city. Where does he tell them to go?
4. When Rukmani and Nathan have almost earned enough money to return home, what does Rukmani buy from the vendor in celebration?
5. Why does Rukmani feel some relief when her son finally dies of starvation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Indian culture that Rukmani is born into, birth order is of vital importance.
a. Why is birth order important in Rukmani's culture? How does birth order affect sons? How does birth order affect daughters?
b. Where is Rukmani in birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
c. Where is Ira in the birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
Essay Topic 2
The book is entitled "Nectar in a Sieve". Why does the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Rukmani's life?
Essay Topic 3
Death is one of the themes visited throughout the novel.
a. Kuti, Raja, and Nathan all die in the novel. Describe their deaths. Who were they surrounded by? What circumstances led to their deaths? Could their deaths have been prevented?
b. Compare and contrast the effect each of their deaths has on Rukmani (Kuti, Old Granny, and Nathan).
c. How were deaths handled in the city versus in the village?
d. After Old Granny's death, Rukmani realizes something about the nature of people. What is it? Do you agree with Rukmani? Support your answer.
This section contains 1,510 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)