|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rukmani feel some relief when her son finally dies of starvation?
2. Who do Nathan and Rukmani meet at the Collector's house?
3. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
4. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
5. When the doctor returns to the house, what do Rukmani and Nathan find surprising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were a number of coping methods that helped the various characters in the story deal with situations in their lives. How did the following people cope? Be sure to describe a particular situation in the story and tell how they dealt with the situation.
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani and Nathan have the opportunity to experience both country and city life in the story.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in the city versus the living conditions in the village. Include generosity, living conditions, poverty levels, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Rukmani between the city and their village?
c. What, if anything, does Rukmani like about the city?
d. What, if anything, does Rukmani wish would change in the village?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)