|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rukmani goes to Kenny's house to visit with him in Chapter 18, what news does Rukmani learn?
2. What does Rukmani use for the first time at the doctor's house?
3. When Rukmani and Nathan have almost earned enough money to return home, what does Rukmani buy from the vendor in celebration?
4. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
5. When the bullock drops Rukmani and Nathan off in the city, how far are they from Koil Road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the Indian culture that Rukmani is born into, birth order is of vital importance.
a. Why is birth order important in Rukmani's culture? How does birth order affect sons? How does birth order affect daughters?
b. Where is Rukmani in birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
c. Where is Ira in the birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
Essay Topic 3
Old Granny and Biswas are both customers of Rukmani's. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Biswas in terms of their ability to pay, relationship to Rukmani, and standing in the village community.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)