|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kenny's plan, how long should it take to build the hospital?
2. Nathan and Rukmani's guide tells them of a better way to earn money in the city. Where does he tell them to go?
3. In celebration of almost having enough money to return to the village, what does Rukmani buy in the city for both Puli and for her grandson?
4. What does Ira tell Sacrabani about his father?
5. Which one of Nathan's sons has no skill for farming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The opening of the tannery impacts life in the village in many ways, both positive and negative.
a. Describe three positive and three negative impacts the tannery has on the village.
b. Describe three impacts the tannery has personally on Rukmani.
c. In Rukmani's opinion, what is the biggest positive consequence of the tannery's opening?
d. In Rukmani's opinion, what is the biggest negative consequence of the tannery's opening?
e. Do you agree with Rukmani's opinions (your answers to c & d)? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
Essay Topic 3
Puli plays a very important and pivotal role in the latter part of the story.
a. Why do Nathan and Rukmani become attached to Puli? How does Puli benefit from their relationship? How do Nathan and Rukmani benefit from their relationship?
b. Puli is both a hardened city dweller and a little boy at the same time. Describe incidents of each side of the boy.
c. The introduction of Puli to Rukmani's family is significant. How is Puli introduced to Rukmani's family and what is significant about the introduction?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)