|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kenny recommend that Nathan needs to eat when he is ill in order to regain his strength?
2. How long does it actually take to complete the hospital?
3. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
4. What does Rukmani use for the first time at the doctor's house?
5. When Rukmani goes into the village to sell her vegetables, what does Biswas tell Rukmani?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
Essay Topic 2
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)