|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During which season is Ira's child born?
2. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
3. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
4. Who, besides his mother, accepts Sacrabani unconditionally?
5. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
Essay Topic 1
Two women are generous and kind to Rukmani when she desperately needs it.
a. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Brila.
b. How do they each care for Rukmani?
c. What do they each provide for Rukmani?
Essay Topic 2
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)