|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
2. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
3. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
5. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not immediately return to their village after learning that Murugan cannot be found?
2. The monsoon season strikes early. How does the village fair?
3. In the early days of their marriage, Rukmani and Nathan feel blessed. Why?
4. On his deathbed, what does Nathan tell Rukmani to comfort her?
5. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
6. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
7. What advice does Kali give to Nathan and Rukmani regarding Ira?
8. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
9. After her son's death, why do two tannery officials visit Rukmani?
10. What realization does Rukmani find ironic as she mourns for Old Granny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book summary describes this story as the story of a woman "whose life was a gallant and persistent battle to care for those she loved."
a. Do you agree or disagree with that description? Why or why not?
b. Give three examples of how Rukmani's life was gallant.
c. What, in your opinion, gives Rukmani the strength to get up and face each day no matter what the circumstances are?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
Essay Topic 3
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)