|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
2. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
3. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
4. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
5. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
Short Essay Questions
1. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
2. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
3. After marrying Nathan and moving to his village, how does Rukmani react when she first sees her new home?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 28, Rukmani is very excited. Why?
5. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
6. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
7. When does Rukmani realize that Nathan is sick?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
9. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
10. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
Essay Topic 2
Death is one of the themes visited throughout the novel.
a. Kuti, Raja, and Nathan all die in the novel. Describe their deaths. Who were they surrounded by? What circumstances led to their deaths? Could their deaths have been prevented?
b. Compare and contrast the effect each of their deaths has on Rukmani (Kuti, Old Granny, and Nathan).
c. How were deaths handled in the city versus in the village?
d. After Old Granny's death, Rukmani realizes something about the nature of people. What is it? Do you agree with Rukmani? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)