|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
2. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
3. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
4. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
5. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
2. The monsoon season strikes early. How does the village fair?
3. At the end of the strike's first week, what do the tannery officials announce?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 28, Rukmani is very excited. Why?
5. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
6. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
7. After marrying Nathan and moving to his village, how does Rukmani react when she first sees her new home?
8. In the early days of their marriage, Rukmani and Nathan feel blessed. Why?
9. Why is Rukmani disappointed when she sees her first-born child?
10. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The opening of the tannery impacts life in the village in many ways, both positive and negative.
a. Describe three positive and three negative impacts the tannery has on the village.
b. Describe three impacts the tannery has personally on Rukmani.
c. In Rukmani's opinion, what is the biggest positive consequence of the tannery's opening?
d. In Rukmani's opinion, what is the biggest negative consequence of the tannery's opening?
e. Do you agree with Rukmani's opinions (your answers to c & d)? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled "Nectar in a Sieve". Why does the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Rukmani's life?
This section contains 1,859 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)