|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
2. What does Rukmani set aside at the end of every month?
3. What does Nathan do ten days after the birth of his son?
4. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
5. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Rukmani says that Selvam has ceased to belong to her and Nathan. Why?
2. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
3. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
4. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
5. When Kenny offers to help Rukmani after she confides she has no sons, what is Rukmani's initial reaction to his offer of help?
6. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 28, Rukmani is very excited. Why?
8. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
9. After being returned to her family by her husband, how is Ira welcomed back into the family?
10. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rukmani and Nathan have the opportunity to experience both country and city life in the story.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in the city versus the living conditions in the village. Include generosity, living conditions, poverty levels, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Rukmani between the city and their village?
c. What, if anything, does Rukmani like about the city?
d. What, if anything, does Rukmani wish would change in the village?
Essay Topic 2
In the Indian culture that Rukmani is born into, birth order is of vital importance.
a. Why is birth order important in Rukmani's culture? How does birth order affect sons? How does birth order affect daughters?
b. Where is Rukmani in birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
c. Where is Ira in the birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)