|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
2. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
3. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
4. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
5. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
2. The monsoon season strikes early. How does the village fair?
3. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
5. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
6. Why does Nathan refuse to eat any of the food that Ira brings into the house?
7. Kuti's condition is improving although there still is no food. Rukmani attributes his improvement to her prayers. What is actually causing his improvement?
8. How does Rukmani learn that there is trouble at the tannery?
9. After being returned to her family by her husband, how is Ira welcomed back into the family?
10. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book summary describes this story as the story of a woman "whose life was a gallant and persistent battle to care for those she loved."
a. Do you agree or disagree with that description? Why or why not?
b. Give three examples of how Rukmani's life was gallant.
c. What, in your opinion, gives Rukmani the strength to get up and face each day no matter what the circumstances are?
Essay Topic 2
Nathan is portrayed as a kind, albeit poor, farmer. While this is generally true, the reader learns that Nathan is all too human and makes mistakes too.
a. Describe Nathan's character strengths and character weaknesses.
b. Give three concrete examples from the story that reflect one of Nathan's character strengths from the answer above.
c. Give three concrete examples from the story that reflect one of Nathan's character weaknesses from the answer above.
d. Identify Nathan's greatest mistake. Why does he confess to Rukmani and how does she react to his news?
Essay Topic 3
Old Granny and Biswas are both customers of Rukmani's. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Biswas in terms of their ability to pay, relationship to Rukmani, and standing in the village community.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)