Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
2. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
3. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
4. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
5. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
2. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
3. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
4. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
5. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
6. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
7. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
8. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
9. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
10. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not stay with Murugan's wife?
Essay Topic 1
Death is one of the themes visited throughout the novel.
a. Kuti, Raja, and Nathan all die in the novel. Describe their deaths. Who were they surrounded by? What circumstances led to their deaths? Could their deaths have been prevented?
b. Compare and contrast the effect each of their deaths has on Rukmani (Kuti, Old Granny, and Nathan).
c. How were deaths handled in the city versus in the village?
d. After Old Granny's death, Rukmani realizes something about the nature of people. What is it? Do you agree with Rukmani? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
Essay Topic 3
The book summary describes this story as the story of a woman "whose life was a gallant and persistent battle to care for those she loved."
a. Do you agree or disagree with that description? Why or why not?
b. Give three examples of how Rukmani's life was gallant.
c. What, in your opinion, gives Rukmani the strength to get up and face each day no matter what the circumstances are?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)