|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
2. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
3. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
4. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
5. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
2. Why does Old Granny die alone?
3. When does Rukmani realize that Nathan is sick?
4. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
5. In Chapter 14, why does Rukmani give Kunthi what she has demanded?
6. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
7. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
8. When Nathan questions why Rukmani is grieving, what does she tell him?
9. On his deathbed, what does Nathan tell Rukmani to comfort her?
10. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
Essay Topic 1
The book summary describes this story as the story of a woman "whose life was a gallant and persistent battle to care for those she loved."
a. Do you agree or disagree with that description? Why or why not?
b. Give three examples of how Rukmani's life was gallant.
c. What, in your opinion, gives Rukmani the strength to get up and face each day no matter what the circumstances are?
Essay Topic 2
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Nathan is portrayed as a kind, albeit poor, farmer. While this is generally true, the reader learns that Nathan is all too human and makes mistakes too.
a. Describe Nathan's character strengths and character weaknesses.
b. Give three concrete examples from the story that reflect one of Nathan's character strengths from the answer above.
c. Give three concrete examples from the story that reflect one of Nathan's character weaknesses from the answer above.
d. Identify Nathan's greatest mistake. Why does he confess to Rukmani and how does she react to his news?
This section contains 1,824 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)