|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many nights does the monsoon last?
2. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
3. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
4. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
5. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the strike's first week, what do the tannery officials announce?
2. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
3. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
4. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
5. What do both Nathan and Kenny tell Rukmani regarding Ira's child and they manner in which it was conceived?
6. In the early days of their marriage, Rukmani and Nathan feel blessed. Why?
7. When Rukmani first meets the village doctor, why does she stare at him?
8. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
9. Why does Old Granny die alone?
10. Why does Arjun go to work in the tannery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Old Granny and Biswas are both customers of Rukmani's. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Biswas in terms of their ability to pay, relationship to Rukmani, and standing in the village community.
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani meets three women at the brook doing laundry shortly after her arrival in the village. These women become important to Rukmani and we see them time and time again throughout our story. Identify and describe these three women. Compare and contrast the three of them with Rukmani.
Essay Topic 3
There were a number of coping methods that helped the various characters in the story deal with situations in their lives. How did the following people cope? Be sure to describe a particular situation in the story and tell how they dealt with the situation.
This section contains 1,858 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)