|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
2. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
3. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
4. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
5. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, why does Rukmani give Kunthi what she has demanded?
2. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
3. In the early days of their marriage, Rukmani and Nathan feel blessed. Why?
4. After being returned to her family by her husband, how is Ira welcomed back into the family?
5. What does the land contract state will happen if Nathan cannot pay the rent?
6. When Rukmani first meets the village doctor, why does she stare at him?
7. What do both Nathan and Kenny tell Rukmani regarding Ira's child and they manner in which it was conceived?
8. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
9. On his deathbed, what does Nathan tell Rukmani to comfort her?
10. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrabani is born into Rukmani's family under interesting circumstances that will impact his life forever.
a. What are the circumstances surrounding Sacrabani and his birth?
b. How does being different from the other children affect Sacrabani's life?
c. Which impacts Sacrabani's treatment by others more, the circumstances surrounding his birth or his appearance? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled "Nectar in a Sieve". Why does the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Rukmani's life?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)