|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
2. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
4. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
5. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Murugan's wife blame for his desertion?
2. What does Rukmani learn from the three women she met at the river about her new home?
3. When Nathan questions why Rukmani is grieving, what does she tell him?
4. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
5. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not immediately return to their village after learning that Murugan cannot be found?
6. Where do Rukmani and Nathan find shelter the first night in the city? Why are they directed there?
7. After being returned to her family by her husband, how is Ira welcomed back into the family?
8. Why are Rukmani and Nathan shocked when they discover their bundles have been stolen?
9. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
10. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Old Granny and Biswas are both customers of Rukmani's. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Biswas in terms of their ability to pay, relationship to Rukmani, and standing in the village community.
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani meets three women at the brook doing laundry shortly after her arrival in the village. These women become important to Rukmani and we see them time and time again throughout our story. Identify and describe these three women. Compare and contrast the three of them with Rukmani.
Essay Topic 3
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)