|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does Kenny do for the first time?
2. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
3. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
4. What does Rukmani set aside at the end of every month?
5. How long does Ira's marriage last?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the three women that Rukmani first meets at the river shortly after arriving in Nathan's village?
2. When Rukmani learns that Ira is barren, what does she immediately think of?
3. What does Rukmani learn from the three women she met at the river about her new home?
4. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
5. After being returned to her family by her husband, how is Ira welcomed back into the family?
6. How does Rukmani learn that there is trouble at the tannery?
7. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
8. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
9. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
10. After her son's death, why do two tannery officials visit Rukmani?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were a number of coping methods that helped the various characters in the story deal with situations in their lives. How did the following people cope? Be sure to describe a particular situation in the story and tell how they dealt with the situation.
Essay Topic 2
The opening of the tannery impacts life in the village in many ways, both positive and negative.
a. Describe three positive and three negative impacts the tannery has on the village.
b. Describe three impacts the tannery has personally on Rukmani.
c. In Rukmani's opinion, what is the biggest positive consequence of the tannery's opening?
d. In Rukmani's opinion, what is the biggest negative consequence of the tannery's opening?
e. Do you agree with Rukmani's opinions (your answers to c & d)? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, we see Rukmani's inner strength as she deals with the various situations that arise in her life. Identify the difficult situations and discuss how Rukmani's strength helps her endure these situations at the following stages of her life:
a. The early days of her marriage, before Ira is born.
b. The days following the monsoon.
c. After Ira moves back in.
d. When their farm is sold.
e. When they are in the city.
This section contains 1,909 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)