|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
2. What is the village doctor's name?
3. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
4. How many nights does the monsoon last?
5. How long does Ira's marriage last?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Old Granny die alone?
2. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
3. In Chapter 14, why does Rukmani give Kunthi what she has demanded?
4. When Rukmani learns that Ira is barren, what does she immediately think of?
5. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
6. What deal is struck between the landlord's assistant and Nathan?
7. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
8. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
9. What does the land contract state will happen if Nathan cannot pay the rent?
10. When Rukmani first meets the village doctor, why does she stare at him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Indian culture that Rukmani is born into, birth order is of vital importance.
a. Why is birth order important in Rukmani's culture? How does birth order affect sons? How does birth order affect daughters?
b. Where is Rukmani in birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
c. Where is Ira in the birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
Essay Topic 2
Two women are generous and kind to Rukmani when she desperately needs it.
a. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Brila.
b. How do they each care for Rukmani?
c. What do they each provide for Rukmani?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)