|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Old Granny make her living?
2. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
3. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
4. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
5. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not immediately return to their village after learning that Murugan cannot be found?
2. When Kenny offers to help Rukmani after she confides she has no sons, what is Rukmani's initial reaction to his offer of help?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 28, Rukmani is very excited. Why?
4. Where do Rukmani and Nathan find shelter the first night in the city? Why are they directed there?
5. What deal is struck between the landlord's assistant and Nathan?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Rukmani says that Selvam has ceased to belong to her and Nathan. Why?
7. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
8. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
9. Why does Kenny think Selvam would be a good assistant?
10. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Indian culture that Rukmani is born into, birth order is of vital importance.
a. Why is birth order important in Rukmani's culture? How does birth order affect sons? How does birth order affect daughters?
b. Where is Rukmani in birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
c. Where is Ira in the birth order and how does her birth order impact her choice of spouses?
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani and Nathan have the opportunity to experience both country and city life in the story.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in the city versus the living conditions in the village. Include generosity, living conditions, poverty levels, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Rukmani between the city and their village?
c. What, if anything, does Rukmani like about the city?
d. What, if anything, does Rukmani wish would change in the village?
Essay Topic 3
Two women are generous and kind to Rukmani when she desperately needs it.
a. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Brila.
b. How do they each care for Rukmani?
c. What do they each provide for Rukmani?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)