Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
2. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
3. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
4. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
5. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
2. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
3. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
4. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
5. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
6. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
7. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
8. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
9. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
10. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not stay with Murugan's wife?
Essay Topic 1
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
Essay Topic 3
Rukmani and Nathan have the opportunity to experience both country and city life in the story.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in the city versus the living conditions in the village. Include generosity, living conditions, poverty levels, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Rukmani between the city and their village?
c. What, if anything, does Rukmani like about the city?
d. What, if anything, does Rukmani wish would change in the village?
This section contains 2,000 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)