|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many nights does the monsoon last?
2. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
3. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
4. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
5. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
2. Rukmani sells her vegetables to a Muslim woman. What is Rukmani's opinion of the Muslim women and their coverings?
3. Why is Rukmani disappointed when she sees her first-born child?
4. Why does Nathan refuse to eat any of the food that Ira brings into the house?
5. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
6. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
7. What deal is struck between the landlord's assistant and Nathan?
8. In Chapter 14, why does Rukmani give Kunthi what she has demanded?
9. What does Murugan's wife blame for his desertion?
10. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rukmani meets three women at the brook doing laundry shortly after her arrival in the village. These women become important to Rukmani and we see them time and time again throughout our story. Identify and describe these three women. Compare and contrast the three of them with Rukmani.
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
Essay Topic 3
Puli plays a very important and pivotal role in the latter part of the story.
a. Why do Nathan and Rukmani become attached to Puli? How does Puli benefit from their relationship? How do Nathan and Rukmani benefit from their relationship?
b. Puli is both a hardened city dweller and a little boy at the same time. Describe incidents of each side of the boy.
c. The introduction of Puli to Rukmani's family is significant. How is Puli introduced to Rukmani's family and what is significant about the introduction?
This section contains 1,885 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)