|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
2. In what month is Ira married?
3. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
4. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
5. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
2. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
3. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
4. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
5. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
6. In Chapter 14, why does Rukmani give Kunthi what she has demanded?
7. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
8. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
9. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
10. Why does Old Granny die alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Old Granny and Biswas are both customers of Rukmani's. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Biswas in terms of their ability to pay, relationship to Rukmani, and standing in the village community.
Essay Topic 2
There were a number of coping methods that helped the various characters in the story deal with situations in their lives. How did the following people cope? Be sure to describe a particular situation in the story and tell how they dealt with the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Puli plays a very important and pivotal role in the latter part of the story.
a. Why do Nathan and Rukmani become attached to Puli? How does Puli benefit from their relationship? How do Nathan and Rukmani benefit from their relationship?
b. Puli is both a hardened city dweller and a little boy at the same time. Describe incidents of each side of the boy.
c. The introduction of Puli to Rukmani's family is significant. How is Puli introduced to Rukmani's family and what is significant about the introduction?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)