|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
2. Who is the moneylender?
3. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
4. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
5. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
2. The monsoon season strikes early. How does the village fair?
3. How does Rukmani learn that there is trouble at the tannery?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
5. After her son's death, why do two tannery officials visit Rukmani?
6. Why are Rukmani and Nathan shocked when they discover their bundles have been stolen?
7. When does Rukmani realize that Nathan is sick?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Rukmani says that Selvam has ceased to belong to her and Nathan. Why?
9. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
10. When Rukmani learns that Ira is barren, what does she immediately think of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrabani is born into Rukmani's family under interesting circumstances that will impact his life forever.
a. What are the circumstances surrounding Sacrabani and his birth?
b. How does being different from the other children affect Sacrabani's life?
c. Which impacts Sacrabani's treatment by others more, the circumstances surrounding his birth or his appearance? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)