|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kali warn Rukmani to not let her daughter start walking so early?
2. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
3. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
4. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does Kenny do for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rukmani first meets the village doctor, why does she stare at him?
2. Why does Nathan refuse to eat any of the food that Ira brings into the house?
3. The monsoon season strikes early. How does the village fair?
4. Why does Arjun go to work in the tannery?
5. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
6. After her son's death, why do two tannery officials visit Rukmani?
7. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
8. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
9. What is a positive consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
10. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nathan is portrayed as a kind, albeit poor, farmer. While this is generally true, the reader learns that Nathan is all too human and makes mistakes too.
a. Describe Nathan's character strengths and character weaknesses.
b. Give three concrete examples from the story that reflect one of Nathan's character strengths from the answer above.
c. Give three concrete examples from the story that reflect one of Nathan's character weaknesses from the answer above.
d. Identify Nathan's greatest mistake. Why does he confess to Rukmani and how does she react to his news?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
Essay Topic 3
In the Indian village, daughters are seen as a burden, while sons are seen as a benefit.
a. Why are daughters seen as a burden? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
b. Why are sons seen as a benefit? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
c. Is the same true today, daughters are a burden, while sons are a benefit? Why or why not?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)