|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
2. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
3. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
4. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
5. Which of Rukmani's children is the most stubborn?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
2. After being returned to her family by her husband, how is Ira welcomed back into the family?
3. Why does Rukmani's mother not approve of her learning to read and write?
4. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
5. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Rukmani says that Selvam has ceased to belong to her and Nathan. Why?
7. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
8. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not stay with Murugan's wife?
9. What is a positive consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
10. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Indian village, daughters are seen as a burden, while sons are seen as a benefit.
a. Why are daughters seen as a burden? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
b. Why are sons seen as a benefit? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
c. Is the same true today, daughters are a burden, while sons are a benefit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
Essay Topic 3
There were a number of coping methods that helped the various characters in the story deal with situations in their lives. How did the following people cope? Be sure to describe a particular situation in the story and tell how they dealt with the situation.
This section contains 1,988 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)