|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
2. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
3. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
4. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
5. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
2. Who are the three women that Rukmani first meets at the river shortly after arriving in Nathan's village?
3. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
4. When Rukmani learns that Ira is barren, what does she immediately think of?
5. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Rukmani says that Selvam has ceased to belong to her and Nathan. Why?
7. In the early days of their marriage, Rukmani and Nathan feel blessed. Why?
8. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not immediately return to their village after learning that Murugan cannot be found?
9. Why does Kenny think Selvam would be a good assistant?
10. What do both Nathan and Kenny tell Rukmani regarding Ira's child and they manner in which it was conceived?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
Essay Topic 2
The opening of the tannery impacts life in the village in many ways, both positive and negative.
a. Describe three positive and three negative impacts the tannery has on the village.
b. Describe three impacts the tannery has personally on Rukmani.
c. In Rukmani's opinion, what is the biggest positive consequence of the tannery's opening?
d. In Rukmani's opinion, what is the biggest negative consequence of the tannery's opening?
e. Do you agree with Rukmani's opinions (your answers to c & d)? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
This section contains 1,886 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)