|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
2. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
3. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
4. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
5. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, why does Rukmani give Kunthi what she has demanded?
2. When Kenny offers to help Rukmani after she confides she has no sons, what is Rukmani's initial reaction to his offer of help?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Rukmani says that Selvam has ceased to belong to her and Nathan. Why?
4. After marrying Nathan and moving to his village, how does Rukmani react when she first sees her new home?
5. Why are Rukmani and Nathan shocked when they discover their bundles have been stolen?
6. How does Rukmani learn that there is trouble at the tannery?
7. What realization does Rukmani find ironic as she mourns for Old Granny?
8. What does the land contract state will happen if Nathan cannot pay the rent?
9. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
10. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, we see Rukmani's inner strength as she deals with the various situations that arise in her life. Identify the difficult situations and discuss how Rukmani's strength helps her endure these situations at the following stages of her life:
a. The early days of her marriage, before Ira is born.
b. The days following the monsoon.
c. After Ira moves back in.
d. When their farm is sold.
e. When they are in the city.
Essay Topic 2
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty is an overriding theme in the lives of Rukmani and Nathan.
a. Describe how their family was poor. Describe how the family was rich.
b. Give examples of poverty in the lives of the following people:
c. Compare and contrast city and village life in terms of poverty and wealth.
d. How is city and country life different today?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)