|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
2. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
3. What is Deepavali?
4. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
5. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
2. What realization does Rukmani find ironic as she mourns for Old Granny?
3. What do both Nathan and Kenny tell Rukmani regarding Ira's child and they manner in which it was conceived?
4. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
5. When Nathan questions why Rukmani is grieving, what does she tell him?
6. When Rukmani first meets the village doctor, why does she stare at him?
7. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
8. At the end of the strike's first week, what do the tannery officials announce?
9. What does the land contract state will happen if Nathan cannot pay the rent?
10. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
Essay Topic 1
In the Indian village, daughters are seen as a burden, while sons are seen as a benefit.
a. Why are daughters seen as a burden? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
b. Why are sons seen as a benefit? Give examples from the story to support your reasoning.
c. Is the same true today, daughters are a burden, while sons are a benefit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Two women are generous and kind to Rukmani when she desperately needs it.
a. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Brila.
b. How do they each care for Rukmani?
c. What do they each provide for Rukmani?
Essay Topic 3
Old Granny and Biswas are both customers of Rukmani's. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Biswas in terms of their ability to pay, relationship to Rukmani, and standing in the village community.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)