|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
3. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
4. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
5. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
2. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
3. Why does Kenny think Selvam would be a good assistant?
4. When Rukmani learns that Ira is barren, what does she immediately think of?
5. At the end of the strike's first week, what do the tannery officials announce?
6. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
7. Why are Rukmani and Nathan shocked when they discover their bundles have been stolen?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
9. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
10. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Ira and Kunthi turn to prostitution to earn money.
a. Describe Ira's motives for prostituting her body.
b. Describe Kunthi's motives for prostituting her body.
c. Do their motives make their actions any less objectionable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Old Granny and Biswas are both customers of Rukmani's. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Biswas in terms of their ability to pay, relationship to Rukmani, and standing in the village community.
Essay Topic 3
Puli plays a very important and pivotal role in the latter part of the story.
a. Why do Nathan and Rukmani become attached to Puli? How does Puli benefit from their relationship? How do Nathan and Rukmani benefit from their relationship?
b. Puli is both a hardened city dweller and a little boy at the same time. Describe incidents of each side of the boy.
c. The introduction of Puli to Rukmani's family is significant. How is Puli introduced to Rukmani's family and what is significant about the introduction?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)