|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
2. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
3. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
4. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
5. What does Nathan do ten days after the birth of his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
2. What does Murugan's wife blame for his desertion?
3. How does Rukmani learn that there is trouble at the tannery?
4. When Kenny offers to help Rukmani after she confides she has no sons, what is Rukmani's initial reaction to his offer of help?
5. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
6. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
7. Why are Rukmani and Nathan shocked when they discover their bundles have been stolen?
8. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
9. After her son's death, why do two tannery officials visit Rukmani?
10. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the misunderstandings that Kenny and Rukmani have come from their different ways of viewing the world.
a. Discuss Kenny's world view. How does his world view impact his life and his reactions to life in the village?
b. Discuss Rukmani's world view. How does her world view impact her life and her reactions to life in the village?
Essay Topic 2
Nathan is portrayed as a kind, albeit poor, farmer. While this is generally true, the reader learns that Nathan is all too human and makes mistakes too.
a. Describe Nathan's character strengths and character weaknesses.
b. Give three concrete examples from the story that reflect one of Nathan's character strengths from the answer above.
c. Give three concrete examples from the story that reflect one of Nathan's character weaknesses from the answer above.
d. Identify Nathan's greatest mistake. Why does he confess to Rukmani and how does she react to his news?
Essay Topic 3
There were a number of coping methods that helped the various characters in the story deal with situations in their lives. How did the following people cope? Be sure to describe a particular situation in the story and tell how they dealt with the situation.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)