|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
2. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
3. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
4. How many nights does the monsoon last?
5. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the early days of their marriage, Rukmani and Nathan feel blessed. Why?
2. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
3. Why does Nathan refuse to eat any of the food that Ira brings into the house?
4. At the end of the strike's first week, what do the tannery officials announce?
5. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
6. Why does Rukmani's mother not approve of her learning to read and write?
7. When Nathan questions why Rukmani is grieving, what does she tell him?
8. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
10. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two women are generous and kind to Rukmani when she desperately needs it.
a. Compare and contrast Old Granny and Brila.
b. How do they each care for Rukmani?
c. What do they each provide for Rukmani?
Essay Topic 2
The book summary describes this story as the story of a woman "whose life was a gallant and persistent battle to care for those she loved."
a. Do you agree or disagree with that description? Why or why not?
b. Give three examples of how Rukmani's life was gallant.
c. What, in your opinion, gives Rukmani the strength to get up and face each day no matter what the circumstances are?
Essay Topic 3
Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan.
a. Why do her parents select Nathan as her husband?
b. Why is her mother upset with their choice of Nathan?
c. What is the economic impact of the arranged marriage, for Nathan, for Rukmani, and for her parents?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)