|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What affliction is Ira's son born with?
(a) He has one arm.
(b) He is underweight.
(c) He is an albino.
(d) He has a cleft palate.
2. Before identifying the intruder in her house, what does Rukmani do?
(a) Fights with the intruder.
(b) Shoots the intruder.
(c) Wakes Nathan up.
(d) Slips out of the house until the intruder leaves.
3. Who is Brila?
(a) The boy who leads them to the couple.
(b) The social worker who gives them shelter.
(c) The doctor their son works for.
(d) The priest at the temple.
4. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They go to work at the tannery.
(b) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
(c) They sell some of their belongings.
(d) They teach other villagers to read and write.
5. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
(a) The rains are not coming.
(b) The children are rebelling.
(c) The neighbors are stealing.
(d) The workers are striking.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rukmani and Nathan have almost earned enough money to return home, what does Rukmani buy from the vendor in celebration?
2. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
4. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
5. During the same visit with Kenny at his house, what news does Rukmani share with Kenny?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)