Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
(a) That they will marry without her blessing.
(b) The perils they will face on their journey.
(c) Never seeing her sons again.
(d) The working conditions they will see.
2. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
(a) The temple priest.
(b) The tribal chief.
(c) Rukmani's older sisters.
(d) The village doctor.
3. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(b) They waste it gambling.
(c) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
(d) They spend it in the local tavern.
4. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) There is no rice in the land.
(b) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(c) They don't bring enough money with them.
(d) The stores and shops are all closed.
5. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
(a) Ira is not a good enough housekeeper.
(b) Ira is too learned.
(c) Ira is barren.
(d) Ira is too strong-willed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
2. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
3. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
4. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
5. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
2. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
3. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
4. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
5. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
6. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
7. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
8. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
9. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
10. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not stay with Murugan's wife?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)