|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her brother.
2. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
(a) Rukmani's older sisters.
(b) The village doctor.
(c) The tribal chief.
(d) The temple priest.
3. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) They waste it gambling.
(b) They spend it in the local tavern.
(c) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(d) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
4. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
5. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
(a) They are the officials' spokesmen.
(b) They are the workers' spokesmen.
(c) They are just workers.
(d) They are the mediators.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
2. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
3. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
4. What does Nathan do ten days after the birth of his son?
5. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not immediately return to their village after learning that Murugan cannot be found?
2. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
3. Rukmani sells her vegetables to a Muslim woman. What is Rukmani's opinion of the Muslim women and their coverings?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 28, Rukmani is very excited. Why?
5. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
6. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
7. How does Rukmani learn that there is trouble at the tannery?
8. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
9. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
10. At the end of the strike's first week, what do the tannery officials announce?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)