|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a straw lean-to.
(b) It is a four-bedroom house.
(c) It is a two-room, brick house.
(d) It is a two-room, mud hut.
2. Who is the moneylender?
3. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
4. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
(a) She calls him "Master."
(b) She calls him "Husband."
(c) She calls him "Nathan."
(d) She calls him "Sir."
5. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
2. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
3. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
4. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
5. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
2. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
3. What realization does Rukmani find ironic as she mourns for Old Granny?
4. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
5. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
6. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
7. Why does Nathan refuse to eat any of the food that Ira brings into the house?
8. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
9. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
10. Why is Rukmani disappointed when she sees her first-born child?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)