|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
(a) Dear one.
2. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
(a) Dried wheat shafts.
(b) Rice leaves.
(c) Bamboo shoots.
(d) Coconut fronds.
3. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
4. What is Deepavali?
(a) The anniversary of the tannery's opening.
(b) The Festival of Lights.
(c) The celebration of the village's settlement.
(d) The temple's most holy day.
5. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
2. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
3. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
5. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
2. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
3. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
4. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
5. What does Murugan's wife blame for his desertion?
6. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
7. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
8. Why is Rukmani disappointed when she sees her first-born child?
9. Why does Rukmani's mother not approve of her learning to read and write?
10. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)