|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
2. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
(a) One hundred rupees.
(b) One thousand rupees.
(c) Three hundred rupees.
(d) Fifty rupees.
3. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(b) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(c) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
(d) They are men now and have made their decision.
4. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Long life and happiness.
(b) Good fortune and many children.
(c) Happiness and good fortune.
(d) Wealth and long life.
5. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(b) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
(c) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(d) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
2. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
3. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
5. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the strike's first week, what do the tannery officials announce?
2. Why does Rukmani's mother not approve of her learning to read and write?
3. Why does Old Granny die alone?
4. When Rukmani first meets the village doctor, why does she stare at him?
5. When Rukmani learns that Ira is barren, what does she immediately think of?
6. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
7. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
8. Why does Kenny think Selvam would be a good assistant?
9. In the early days of their marriage, Rukmani and Nathan feel blessed. Why?
10. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)