|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does Kenny do for the first time?
(a) He builds a house in the village.
(b) He delivers a baby by Caesarean section.
(c) He visits Rukmani's home.
(d) He hires Nathan as an assistant.
3. How does Old Granny make her living?
(a) Selling goat's milk.
(b) Selling peanuts.
(d) Harvesting wheat.
4. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
5. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
(a) In the masonry building.
(b) In the tannery's new building.
(c) In the tea plantation.
(d) In the village market.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
2. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
3. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
4. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
5. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 28, Rukmani is very excited. Why?
3. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not stay with Murugan's wife?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
5. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
6. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
7. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
8. The farmers gather dung from their fields early each morning. What is the dung used for?
9. When Rukmani learns that Ira is barren, what does she immediately think of?
10. What is a positive consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)