|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
(a) The temple priest.
(b) The tribal chief.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) Rukmani's older sisters.
2. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
3. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
(a) In the village.
(b) At the brook.
(c) In the fields.
(d) In her home.
4. How many nights does the monsoon last?
5. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
(a) In the tannery's new building.
(b) In the village market.
(c) In the tea plantation.
(d) In the masonry building.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
2. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
3. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
4. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
5. In what month is Ira married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kuti's condition is improving although there still is no food. Rukmani attributes his improvement to her prayers. What is actually causing his improvement?
2. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
3. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
4. What advice does Kali give to Nathan and Rukmani regarding Ira?
5. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
6. What does Rukmani learn from the three women she met at the river about her new home?
7. When does Rukmani realize that Nathan is sick?
8. Rukmani sells her vegetables to a Muslim woman. What is Rukmani's opinion of the Muslim women and their coverings?
9. When Kenny offers to help Rukmani after she confides she has no sons, what is Rukmani's initial reaction to his offer of help?
10. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)