|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
(a) He is a servant.
(b) He is a brick layer.
(c) He is a tannery official.
(d) He is a farmer.
2. How long does Ira's marriage last?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
3. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
(b) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(c) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(d) They are men now and have made their decision.
4. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
(a) The new business will create jobs to combat the high unemployment rate.
(b) The increased traffic in the village will lead to road improvements.
(c) She can build Ira's dowry much quicker.
(d) Ira will have many options when choosing a husband.
5. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
(b) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
(c) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(d) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
2. In what month is Ira married?
3. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
4. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
5. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
2. What realization does Rukmani find ironic as she mourns for Old Granny?
3. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
4. When does Rukmani realize that Nathan is sick?
5. In the early days of their marriage, Rukmani and Nathan feel blessed. Why?
6. When Kenny offers to help Rukmani after she confides she has no sons, what is Rukmani's initial reaction to his offer of help?
7. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
8. Why does Arjun go to work in the tannery?
9. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
10. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)