|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) An ignorant woman.
(b) A scared little girl.
(c) A village girl.
(d) A backward child.
2. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
3. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
(a) Seventy kilometers.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One hundred miles.
(d) Three days.
4. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
5. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
2. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
3. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
4. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
5. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
2. At the end of the strike's first week, what do the tannery officials announce?
3. When Kenny offers to help Rukmani after she confides she has no sons, what is Rukmani's initial reaction to his offer of help?
4. Kuti's condition is improving although there still is no food. Rukmani attributes his improvement to her prayers. What is actually causing his improvement?
5. What do both Nathan and Kenny tell Rukmani regarding Ira's child and they manner in which it was conceived?
6. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
7. On his deathbed, what does Nathan tell Rukmani to comfort her?
8. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
9. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
10. Who are the three women that Rukmani first meets at the river shortly after arriving in Nathan's village?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)