|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He soothes her.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He returns to her parents' home.
(d) He ignores her.
2. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
3. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
(a) When Nathan has business to conduct.
(b) When Nathan needs to visit the doctor.
(c) When Rukmani asks him to come with her.
(d) When there is no work to do on the farm.
4. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
(b) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(c) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(d) She understands, but refuses to listen.
5. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
(a) To meet the other women.
(b) To work.
(c) To sell their rice.
(d) To shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
2. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
3. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
4. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
5. Why does Kali warn Rukmani to not let her daughter start walking so early?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
2. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
3. What advice does Kali give to Nathan and Rukmani regarding Ira?
4. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
6. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
7. What do both Nathan and Kenny tell Rukmani regarding Ira's child and they manner in which it was conceived?
8. What does Rukmani learn from the three women she met at the river about her new home?
9. When Nathan questions why Rukmani is grieving, what does she tell him?
10. When Rukmani learns that Ira is barren, what does she immediately think of?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)