|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
(a) He is searching for Arjun.
(b) He is searching for a new husband for Ira.
(c) He is going to attend a relative's funeral.
(d) He is going to the city to buy new rice seed.
2. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
(a) An orange.
(b) A mango.
(c) A kiwi.
(d) A pumpkin.
3. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a four-bedroom house.
(b) It is a two-room, brick house.
(c) It is a straw lean-to.
(d) It is a two-room, mud hut.
4. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Good fortune and many children.
(b) Wealth and long life.
(c) Long life and happiness.
(d) Happiness and good fortune.
5. Why does Kali warn Rukmani to not let her daughter start walking so early?
(a) Her legs will bend in.
(b) Her arms won't properly develop.
(c) Her balance won't properly develop.
(d) She will get into far too much trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
2. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
3. What is the village doctor's name?
4. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
5. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
2. When Nathan questions why Rukmani is grieving, what does she tell him?
3. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
4. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
5. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
6. When Rukmani learns that Ira is barren, what does she immediately think of?
7. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
8. What realization does Rukmani find ironic as she mourns for Old Granny?
9. Rukmani sells her vegetables to a Muslim woman. What is Rukmani's opinion of the Muslim women and their coverings?
10. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)