|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
2. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
(a) A mango.
(b) A kiwi.
(c) A pumpkin.
(d) An orange.
3. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
(a) The temple priest.
(b) The tribal chief.
(c) Rukmani's older sisters.
(d) The village doctor.
4. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are building a bigger house.
(b) They have enough to eat.
(c) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(d) They are held in high regard in the village.
5. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Moving back to the city.
(b) Ira's upcoming wedding.
(c) Nathan being with her.
(d) Seeing her new grandchildren.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
2. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
3. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
4. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
5. What is Deepavali?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
2. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
3. What does Murugan's wife blame for his desertion?
4. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not immediately return to their village after learning that Murugan cannot be found?
5. Rukmani sells her vegetables to a Muslim woman. What is Rukmani's opinion of the Muslim women and their coverings?
6. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not stay with Murugan's wife?
7. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
8. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
9. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
10. The monsoon season strikes early. How does the village fair?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)