|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
(a) Laugh about Rukmani's earlier exploits.
(b) Visit with the neighbors.
(c) Visit the temple to pray.
(d) Complain about Rukmani's living conditions.
2. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(b) They are men now and have made their decision.
(c) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(d) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
3. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
(a) In the tannery's new building.
(b) In the village market.
(c) In the masonry building.
(d) In the tea plantation.
4. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(b) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(c) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
(d) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
5. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
(a) He feels like he failed her.
(b) She is still barren.
(c) He has taken a new wife.
(d) He no longer loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
2. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
3. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
4. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
5. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Rukmani and Nathan find shelter the first night in the city? Why are they directed there?
2. Why are Rukmani and Nathan shocked when they discover their bundles have been stolen?
3. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
4. What does Murugan's wife blame for his desertion?
5. What do both Nathan and Kenny tell Rukmani regarding Ira's child and they manner in which it was conceived?
6. How does Rukmani learn that there is trouble at the tannery?
7. Why does Kenny think Selvam would be a good assistant?
8. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
9. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
10. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)