|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
(b) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(c) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(d) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
2. In what month is Ira married?
3. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Ira's upcoming wedding.
(b) Moving back to the city.
(c) Nathan being with her.
(d) Seeing her new grandchildren.
4. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
(a) The tavern.
(b) The inn.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The tannery.
5. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
(a) Requests food and drink for his men.
(b) Invites them to work.
(c) Tells the villagers to go home.
(d) Thanks the villagers for being so welcoming.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
2. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
3. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
4. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
5. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 28, Rukmani is very excited. Why?
2. What do both Nathan and Kenny tell Rukmani regarding Ira's child and they manner in which it was conceived?
3. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not immediately return to their village after learning that Murugan cannot be found?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
5. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
6. Why does Rukmani's mother not approve of her learning to read and write?
7. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
8. Why does Arjun go to work in the tannery?
9. When Kenny offers to help Rukmani after she confides she has no sons, what is Rukmani's initial reaction to his offer of help?
10. When Nathan questions why Rukmani is grieving, what does she tell him?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)