|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
(a) To shop.
(b) To sell their rice.
(c) To meet the other women.
(d) To work.
2. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
3. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
4. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A spider.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A rat.
(d) A cobra.
5. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
(a) That she has been ill.
(b) That she has no sons.
(c) That her mother's death could have been prevented.
(d) That her marriage is in trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
3. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
4. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
5. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
2. When does Rukmani realize that Nathan is sick?
3. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
4. Why is Rukmani disappointed when she sees her first-born child?
5. What is a positive consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
6. What does Murugan's wife blame for his desertion?
7. At first, Nathan pays no attention to his new daughter. Why?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
9. What does Rukmani learn from the three women she met at the river about her new home?
10. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)