|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The tavern.
(c) The tannery.
(d) The inn.
2. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
(a) He cannot stand the poverty.
(b) His family needs him.
(c) He works for the government.
(d) The other villages require his services as well.
3. How does Old Granny make her living?
(a) Harvesting wheat.
(c) Selling goat's milk.
(d) Selling peanuts.
4. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
(a) When there is no work to do on the farm.
(b) When Nathan has business to conduct.
(c) When Nathan needs to visit the doctor.
(d) When Rukmani asks him to come with her.
5. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
(a) She teaches the neighborhood children.
(b) She visits with Kunthi.
(c) She writes.
(d) She goes for long walks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
2. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
3. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
4. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
5. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a positive consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
2. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not stay with Murugan's wife?
3. What does the land contract state will happen if Nathan cannot pay the rent?
4. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
5. Kuti's condition is improving although there still is no food. Rukmani attributes his improvement to her prayers. What is actually causing his improvement?
6. Where do Rukmani and Nathan find shelter the first night in the city? Why are they directed there?
7. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
8. After marrying Nathan and moving to his village, how does Rukmani react when she first sees her new home?
9. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
10. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)