|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Deepavali?
(a) The Festival of Lights.
(b) The anniversary of the tannery's opening.
(c) The celebration of the village's settlement.
(d) The temple's most holy day.
2. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
3. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
(a) They spend their time in the local tavern.
(b) They help their mother with household chores.
(c) They work with Nathan in the fields.
(d) They travel to the nearby village to see their friends.
4. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
(a) Old Granny complains about the quality of the vegetables.
(b) Biswas's family is starving.
(c) Biswas pays more for her vegetables.
(d) Old Granny doesn't buy enough to be a stable income source.
5. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He soothes her.
(d) He returns to her parents' home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
2. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
3. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
4. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
5. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rukmani learn from the three women she met at the river about her new home?
2. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
3. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 28, Rukmani is very excited. Why?
5. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
6. Why does Rukmani's mother not approve of her learning to read and write?
7. When Nathan questions why Rukmani is grieving, what does she tell him?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Rukmani says that Selvam has ceased to belong to her and Nathan. Why?
9. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
10. Why does Kenny think Selvam would be a good assistant?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)