|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A spider.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A rat.
(d) A cobra.
2. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
(a) The working conditions they will see.
(b) Never seeing her sons again.
(c) That they will marry without her blessing.
(d) The perils they will face on their journey.
3. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
4. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
(a) Fifty rupees.
(b) Three hundred rupees.
(c) One thousand rupees.
(d) One hundred rupees.
5. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Old Granny make her living?
2. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
3. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
4. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
5. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rukmani's mother not approve of her learning to read and write?
2. On his deathbed, what does Nathan tell Rukmani to comfort her?
3. When Nathan questions why Rukmani is grieving, what does she tell him?
4. Why does Arjun go to work in the tannery?
5. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
6. Why is Sacrabani isolated from the other children?
7. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
8. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
9. Rukmani sells her vegetables to a Muslim woman. What is Rukmani's opinion of the Muslim women and their coverings?
10. Why does Old Granny die alone?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)