|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(b) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
(c) She understands, but refuses to listen.
(d) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
2. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
(a) The other villages require his services as well.
(b) He works for the government.
(c) He cannot stand the poverty.
(d) His family needs him.
3. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are held in high regard in the village.
(b) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(c) They have enough to eat.
(d) They are building a bigger house.
4. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
(a) The working conditions they will see.
(b) The perils they will face on their journey.
(c) That they will marry without her blessing.
(d) Never seeing her sons again.
5. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
(a) In her home.
(b) In the fields.
(c) At the brook.
(d) In the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
2. How does Old Granny make her living?
3. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
4. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
5. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
2. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
3. Rukmani sells her vegetables to a Muslim woman. What is Rukmani's opinion of the Muslim women and their coverings?
4. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
5. Why does Selvam's decision to work with Kenny disappoint Nathan?
6. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
7. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
8. Where do Rukmani and Nathan find shelter the first night in the city? Why are they directed there?
9. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
10. Why does Old Granny die alone?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)