|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are held in high regard in the village.
(b) They have enough to eat.
(c) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(d) They are building a bigger house.
2. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
(a) At the brook.
(b) In the village.
(c) In the fields.
(d) In her home.
3. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
4. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a straw lean-to.
(b) It is a two-room, brick house.
(c) It is a four-bedroom house.
(d) It is a two-room, mud hut.
5. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
(a) The temple priest.
(b) Rukmani's older sisters.
(c) The tribal chief.
(d) The village doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
3. How many nights does the monsoon last?
4. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
5. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Kali give to Nathan and Rukmani regarding Ira?
2. What does Murugan's wife blame for his desertion?
3. After marrying Nathan and moving to his village, how does Rukmani react when she first sees her new home?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
5. Kuti's condition is improving although there still is no food. Rukmani attributes his improvement to her prayers. What is actually causing his improvement?
6. Why does Nathan refuse to eat any of the food that Ira brings into the house?
7. Where do Rukmani and Nathan find shelter the first night in the city? Why are they directed there?
8. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
9. How does Rukmani learn that there is trouble at the tannery?
10. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)