|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
(a) One day.
(b) Fifteen hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two days.
2. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a two-room, brick house.
(b) It is a straw lean-to.
(c) It is a four-bedroom house.
(d) It is a two-room, mud hut.
3. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They lose their jobs.
(b) They receive higher wages.
(c) They are promoted.
(d) They receive longer breaks.
4. Who is the moneylender?
5. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
(a) Kunthi is lame and cannot walk.
(b) Kunthi is near the end of her pregnancy and unable to do anything for herself.
(c) Kunthi refuses to care for her children.
(d) Kunthi is quite ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
2. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
3. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
4. What is the village doctor's name?
5. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the three women that Rukmani first meets at the river shortly after arriving in Nathan's village?
2. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
3. Why does Nathan refuse to eat any of the food that Ira brings into the house?
4. Why does Arjun go to work in the tannery?
5. Kuti's condition is improving although there still is no food. Rukmani attributes his improvement to her prayers. What is actually causing his improvement?
6. Why are Rukmani and Nathan shocked when they discover their bundles have been stolen?
7. What realization does Rukmani find ironic as she mourns for Old Granny?
8. Why does Rukmani's mother not approve of her learning to read and write?
9. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
10. When Rukmani first meets the village doctor, why does she stare at him?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)