|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
(a) Rukmani is the woman's best friend.
(b) Rukmani is preparing a celebratory feast.
(c) The midwife never shows up.
(d) Rukmani is asked to stay.
2. What is Deepavali?
(a) The celebration of the village's settlement.
(b) The Festival of Lights.
(c) The temple's most holy day.
(d) The anniversary of the tannery's opening.
3. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
(a) Kunthi's hut.
(b) Kenny's hut.
(c) Kali's hut.
(d) Rukmani's hut.
4. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan lives in the same town.
(b) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
(c) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
(d) Nathan requires no dowry.
5. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is a foreigner.
(b) He is very old.
(c) He is from a rival village.
(d) He is very young.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
2. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
3. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
4. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
5. How does Old Granny make her living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Rukmani and Nathan shocked when they discover their bundles have been stolen?
2. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
3. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
4. After being returned to her family by her husband, how is Ira welcomed back into the family?
5. Rukmani sells her vegetables to a Muslim woman. What is Rukmani's opinion of the Muslim women and their coverings?
6. When Kenny offers to help Rukmani after she confides she has no sons, what is Rukmani's initial reaction to his offer of help?
7. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
8. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
9. What does the land contract state will happen if Nathan cannot pay the rent?
10. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)