|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
2. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
3. Which of Rukmani's children is the most stubborn?
4. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) They don't bring enough money with them.
(b) There is no rice in the land.
(c) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(d) The stores and shops are all closed.
5. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
(a) Kunthi is lame and cannot walk.
(b) Kunthi refuses to care for her children.
(c) Kunthi is near the end of her pregnancy and unable to do anything for herself.
(d) Kunthi is quite ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
2. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
3. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
4. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
5. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
2. Why is Rukmani disappointed when she sees her first-born child?
3. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
4. What is a negative consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
5. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
6. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
7. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not stay with Murugan's wife?
8. What does Murugan's wife blame for his desertion?
9. Why are Rukmani and Nathan shocked when they discover their bundles have been stolen?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)