|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
(a) Kunthi's hut.
(b) Kenny's hut.
(c) Rukmani's hut.
(d) Kali's hut.
2. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) One week.
3. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They lose their jobs.
(b) They receive higher wages.
(c) They are promoted.
(d) They receive longer breaks.
4. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
5. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
2. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
3. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
4. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
5. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
2. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
3. What does the land contract state will happen if Nathan cannot pay the rent?
4. Why does Old Granny die alone?
5. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
6. After marrying Nathan and moving to his village, how does Rukmani react when she first sees her new home?
7. Why do the villagers travel to Rukmani's home to see Ira's new child?
8. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
9. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
10. Why does Kenny think Selvam would be a good assistant?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)