|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(a) Carrying water.
(d) Working in the fields.
2. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
(a) She visits with Kunthi.
(b) She writes.
(c) She goes for long walks.
(d) She teaches the neighborhood children.
3. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Good fortune and many children.
(b) Long life and happiness.
(c) Wealth and long life.
(d) Happiness and good fortune.
4. Why does Kali warn Rukmani to not let her daughter start walking so early?
(a) She will get into far too much trouble.
(b) Her arms won't properly develop.
(c) Her legs will bend in.
(d) Her balance won't properly develop.
5. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
(a) In the masonry building.
(b) In the tea plantation.
(c) In the village market.
(d) In the tannery's new building.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
2. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
3. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
4. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
5. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
2. Why do Rukmani and Nathan not stay with Murugan's wife?
3. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
4. What does the land contract state will happen if Nathan cannot pay the rent?
5. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
6. Describe the temperament of Nathan and Rukmani's daughter.
7. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
8. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables in the village?
9. With only three weeks until the rice is ready for harvesting, what is Rukmani most afraid of regarding Kuti?
10. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)