|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
(a) She calls him "Sir."
(b) She calls him "Nathan."
(c) She calls him "Master."
(d) She calls him "Husband."
2. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
(a) A pumpkin.
(b) A kiwi.
(c) A mango.
(d) An orange.
3. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
(b) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(c) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(d) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
4. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
(a) She kills it.
(b) She feeds it.
(c) She touches it.
(d) She writes about it.
5. Which of Rukmani's children is the most stubborn?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
2. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
3. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
4. In what month is Ira married?
5. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
2. When Arjun and Thambi return home from the tannery after Rukmani and Nathan could not find them for lunch, what do Rukmani and Nathan learn about the day's trouble?
3. Why does Kenny think Selvam would be a good assistant?
4. Is the strike successful? Why or why not?
5. Why does Arjun go to work in the tannery?
6. When does Rukmani realize that Nathan is sick?
7. What does Rukmani learn from the three women she met at the river about her new home?
8. Where do Rukmani and Nathan find shelter the first night in the city? Why are they directed there?
9. Why does Rukmani's mother never reproach her for the long intervals between Rukmani's visits home?
10. What is a positive consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)