|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
(a) Kali's two eldest sons.
(b) Kunthi's two eldest sons.
(c) Rukmani's two eldest sons.
(d) Janaki's two eldest sons.
2. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
(a) Hundreds of strange men have come into the village.
(b) He is getting married.
(c) He is leaving the village.
(d) His brother has been killed.
4. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They are promoted.
(b) They receive longer breaks.
(c) They receive higher wages.
(d) They lose their jobs.
5. In what month is Ira married?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
2. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
3. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
4. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
5. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does Rukmani find ironic as she mourns for Old Granny?
2. When selecting a suitable husband for Ira, Nathan and Rukmani list several requirements of the selected man. When suitable match is found, what requirements does he meet?
3. Rukmani sells her vegetables to a Muslim woman. What is Rukmani's opinion of the Muslim women and their coverings?
4. What advice does Kali give to Nathan and Rukmani regarding Ira?
5. In the early days of their marriage, Rukmani and Nathan feel blessed. Why?
6. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
7. Why does Arjun go to work in the tannery?
8. After her son's death, why do two tannery officials visit Rukmani?
9. What is a positive consequence of the construction workers suddenly appearing in the village?
10. Why is Rukmani disappointed when she sees her first-born child?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)