|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
2. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
(a) They help their mother with household chores.
(b) They travel to the nearby village to see their friends.
(c) They spend their time in the local tavern.
(d) They work with Nathan in the fields.
3. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
(a) She calls him "Husband."
(b) She calls him "Sir."
(c) She calls him "Master."
(d) She calls him "Nathan."
4. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
(a) They are the workers' spokesmen.
(b) They are just workers.
(c) They are the officials' spokesmen.
(d) They are the mediators.
5. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They receive higher wages.
(b) They lose their jobs.
(c) They receive longer breaks.
(d) They are promoted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
2. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
3. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
4. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
5. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nathan refuse to eat any of the food that Ira brings into the house?
2. Rukmani muses that her husband is indeed a patient man for putting up with her in the early days of her marriage. Why does she feel this way?
3. Why does Rukmani feel ashamed after learning from the three women at the river about her new home?
4. What realization does Rukmani find ironic as she mourns for Old Granny?
5. In Chapter 5 during one of Kenny's visits, he notices that Rukmani is still breast-feeding her three-year-old son. Why?
6. How does Rukmani learn that there is trouble at the tannery?
7. Why does Kenny think Selvam would be a good assistant?
8. When the men start building the tannery, they seem pleased to have drawn such a loud crowd. How does the overseer in particular behave?
9. Chapter 3 opens with the village women insisting Rukmani not worry about something. What is she worried about and why?
10. After her son's death, why do two tannery officials visit Rukmani?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)