|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
2. How long does Ira's marriage last?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
3. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
(a) He no longer loves her.
(b) He has taken a new wife.
(c) She is still barren.
(d) He feels like he failed her.
4. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
(a) In her home.
(b) In the village.
(c) At the brook.
(d) In the fields.
5. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
(a) Rukmani's older sisters.
(b) The temple priest.
(c) The tribal chief.
(d) The village doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
2. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
3. What does Nathan do ten days after the birth of his son?
4. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
5. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor tell Rukmani and Nathan about Murugan?
2. When the landlord's assistant comes to collect the rent, he feels bad for Rukmani and Nathan. Why?
3. After marrying Nathan and moving to his village, how does Rukmani react when she first sees her new home?
4. After being returned to her family by her husband, how is Ira welcomed back into the family?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Rukmani says that Selvam has ceased to belong to her and Nathan. Why?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Nathan becomes angry with Rukmani for the first time ever. Why?
7. Why does Arjun go to work in the tannery?
8. When Rukmani and Nathan awaken from their first night's sleep in the city, why do they not eat breakfast before heading out to find their son?
9. When Rukmani and Nathan meet Murugan's wife, what does she tell them?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 28, Rukmani is very excited. Why?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)