|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What affliction is Ira's son born with?
(a) He has a cleft palate.
(b) He has one arm.
(c) He is underweight.
(d) He is an albino.
2. When Rukmani goes into the village to sell her vegetables, what does Biswas tell Rukmani?
(a) That she owes him money.
(b) That he owes her money.
(c) That her sons are returning from Ceylon.
(d) That Kenny has returned.
3. How is Ira earning the money she is using to buy food for her brother?
(a) By prostituting herself.
(b) By teaching other villagers to read.
(c) By gambling in the tavern.
(d) By selling her writings.
4. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Murugan finds them.
(b) Nathan falls ill.
(c) They decide to return to their village.
(d) Their belongings are stolen.
5. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
(a) A cart is stuck in the mud.
(b) Nathan has fallen.
(c) The road has given way.
(d) The rocks have slid into the road.
6. Nathan and Rukmani's guide tells them of a better way to earn money in the city. Where does he tell them to go?
(a) To the neighboring city.
(b) To the inn.
(c) To the Collector's house.
(d) To the stone quarry.
7. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Forty days.
8. When Rukmani goes to the river to wash Ira's garment, what does she find in the garment's folds?
(a) A rupee.
(b) A bundle of rice.
(c) A coconut frond.
(d) A writing tablet.
9. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
(a) 30 rupees.
(b) 75 rupees.
(c) 145 rupees.
(d) 10 rupees.
10. Why has Kenny returned to the village?
(a) To care for the tannery employees.
(b) To build a house for himself.
(c) To marry Rukmani.
(d) To build a hospital.
11. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
(a) She picks and cooks twigs and berries.
(b) She works for Kenny.
(c) She turns to prostitution.
(d) She draws upon her secret hoard.
12. Why does Kenny not help Rukmani when ask. him for food during the drought?
(a) He does not have enough food for himself.
(b) He does not want to share his resources with her.
(c) He is helping feed the tannery workers.
(d) He is not in the village.
13. Why does Rukmani feel some relief when her son finally dies of starvation?
(a) She no longer has to care for the sick child.
(b) His struggle is now over and he is at peace.
(c) Nathan will no longer blame her for their son's condition.
(d) Ira can now sleep in her brother's bed, instead of on the floor.
14. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Puli?
(a) They adopted him before Nathan's death.
(b) He was kind to them in the city.
(c) He will be returning to the city.
(d) He will be given in marriage to Kunthi's daughter.
15. Which of Rukmani's sons is killed at the beginning of Chapter 15?
Short Answer Questions
1. While still living in the city, who do Rukmani and Nathan entrust their money to while they go to work each day?
2. How many annas do Nathan and Rukmani earn from the overseer where they are working in the city?
3. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
4. What is the name of Murugan's wife?
5. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)