|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rukmani try to sell her clothing to in order to raise enough money for rent?
2. Where do Rukmani and Nathan go after leaving the doctor's house?
(a) To the temple.
(b) To their village.
(c) To the market.
(d) To the Collector's house.
3. What does Ira tell Sacrabani about his father?
(a) That he doesn't want them.
(b) That he is dead.
(c) That he is married to another woman.
(d) That he is away and will come to them when he can.
4. When the bullock drops Rukmani and Nathan off in the city, how far are they from Koil Road?
(a) One mile.
(b) Three miles.
(c) Fifteen miles.
(d) Ten miles.
5. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
6. When Rukmani and Nathan have almost earned enough money to return home, what does Rukmani buy from the vendor in celebration?
(a) Sugar whirls.
(c) Extra rice.
(d) Fried pancakes.
7. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
(a) The rocks have slid into the road.
(b) Nathan has fallen.
(c) A cart is stuck in the mud.
(d) The road has given way.
8. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Nathan falls ill.
(b) Murugan finds them.
(c) Their belongings are stolen.
(d) They decide to return to their village.
9. When the doctor returns to the house, what do Rukmani and Nathan find surprising?
(a) The doctor is very old.
(b) The doctor is a woman.
(c) The doctor cannot write.
(d) The doctor is very young.
10. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
(a) They have more money saved than she thought.
(b) The temple is no longer safe.
(c) Puli is stealing from them.
(d) Nathan is ill with a fever.
11. Who is Brila?
(a) The priest at the temple.
(b) The doctor their son works for.
(c) The social worker who gives them shelter.
(d) The boy who leads them to the couple.
12. After their first night in the city, what do Rukmani and Nathan own?
(a) Their clothes and their mats.
(b) Three rupees and their clothes.
(c) The clothes they are wearing.
(d) Their mats, their clothes, and three rupees.
13. Nathan and Rukmani's guide tells them of a better way to earn money in the city. Where does he tell them to go?
(a) To the stone quarry.
(b) To the neighboring city.
(c) To the Collector's house.
(d) To the inn.
14. After the conversation with Biswas in the village, what does Rukmani buy for Kenny?
(a) A garland.
(b) A bundle of rice.
(c) A new shirt.
(d) A new hat.
15. Where do Rukmani and Nathan spend their first night in the city?
(a) In the street.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In the temple.
(d) In their son's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
2. Before identifying the intruder in her house, what does Rukmani do?
3. During the same visit with Kenny at his house, what news does Rukmani share with Kenny?
4. What does Rukmani talk Nathan out of selling?
5. During the drought, Rukmani takes the food she has available and then divides their food into serving portions. How many days' worth of food do they have?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)