|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kenny not help Rukmani when ask. him for food during the drought?
(a) He does not have enough food for himself.
(b) He is not in the village.
(c) He is helping feed the tannery workers.
(d) He does not want to share his resources with her.
2. After the conversation with Biswas in the village, what does Rukmani buy for Kenny?
(a) A bundle of rice.
(b) A garland.
(c) A new shirt.
(d) A new hat.
3. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
4. How many annas do Nathan and Rukmani earn from the overseer where they are working in the city?
5. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Nathan falls ill.
(b) Murugan finds them.
(c) They decide to return to their village.
(d) Their belongings are stolen.
6. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
7. During the same visit with Kenny at his house, what news does Rukmani share with Kenny?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) Nathan has left her.
(c) Ira is pregnant.
(d) Her family is starving.
8. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
(a) She picks and cooks twigs and berries.
(b) She turns to prostitution.
(c) She works for Kenny.
(d) She draws upon her secret hoard.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
(a) The harvest is mostly destroyed by another monsoon.
(b) The harvest is meager.
(c) The harvest is more than enough to pay what they owe.
(d) The harvest is enough to pay their rent, but with nothing left over.
10. What does Rukmani use for the first time at the doctor's house?
(a) A lamp.
(b) An electric stove.
(c) A latrine.
(d) A telephone.
11. When she finally earns enough money to return to Nathan's village, who accompanies Rukmani on her return?
(d) The temple priest.
12. Who is Brila?
(a) The social worker who gives them shelter.
(b) The boy who leads them to the couple.
(c) The priest at the temple.
(d) The doctor their son works for.
13. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
(a) Two months.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Forty days.
14. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
(d) Old Granny.
15. How much money do Rukmani and Nathan leave the village with?
(a) Ten rupees.
(b) Three rupees.
(c) Twenty rupees.
(d) Sixteen rupees.
Short Answer Questions
1. While still living in the city, who do Rukmani and Nathan entrust their money to while they go to work each day?
2. Which of Rukmani's sons marries of his own accord?
3. Upon her return to Nathan's village, where will Rukmani live?
4. Which one of Nathan's sons has no skill for farming?
5. Who does Rukmani try to sell her clothing to in order to raise enough money for rent?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)