|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
(a) The circumcision ceremony.
(b) The Feast of Plenty ceremony.
(c) The naming ceremony.
(d) The baptismal ceremony.
2. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
(a) The rocks have slid into the road.
(b) A cart is stuck in the mud.
(c) The road has given way.
(d) Nathan has fallen.
3. What does Old Granny die from?
(b) A fall.
(c) A beating .
4. After their first night in the city, what do Rukmani and Nathan own?
(a) The clothes they are wearing.
(b) Their clothes and their mats.
(c) Three rupees and their clothes.
(d) Their mats, their clothes, and three rupees.
5. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
(a) The neighbors are stealing.
(b) The rains are not coming.
(c) The children are rebelling.
(d) The workers are striking.
6. What is the name of Murugan's wife?
7. In celebration of almost having enough money to return to the village, what does Rukmani buy in the city for both Puli and for her grandson?
(a) New shirts.
(b) Fried potatoes.
(c) New blocks.
(d) Dum-dum carts.
8. When the bullock drops Rukmani and Nathan off in the city, how far are they from Koil Road?
(a) Fifteen miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) Three miles.
9. Before identifying the intruder in her house, what does Rukmani do?
(a) Shoots the intruder.
(b) Wakes Nathan up.
(c) Slips out of the house until the intruder leaves.
(d) Fights with the intruder.
10. What does Kenny recommend that Nathan needs to eat when he is ill in order to regain his strength?
(a) Butter and rice.
(b) Milk and vegetables.
(c) Rice and vegetables.
(d) Wheat and barley.
11. Nathan and Rukmani's guide tells them of a better way to earn money in the city. Where does he tell them to go?
(a) To the Collector's house.
(b) To the stone quarry.
(c) To the inn.
(d) To the neighboring city.
12. When Rukmani and Nathan have almost earned enough money to return home, what does Rukmani buy from the vendor in celebration?
(a) Extra rice.
(c) Fried pancakes.
(d) Sugar whirls.
13. Who do Nathan and Rukmani meet at the Collector's house?
(a) Their son's wife.
(b) The tannery's overseer.
(c) The Collector himself.
(d) Kenny's former wife.
14. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
(a) Old Granny.
15. When they reach the doctor's house where their son works, what are Rukmani and Nathan told by the servants?
(a) Murugan is away with the doctor.
(b) Murugan has died.
(c) Murugan is ill.
(d) Murugan does not work there anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
2. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
3. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
4. Who comes to the farm to collect the rent?
5. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)