|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rukmani and Nathan have almost earned enough money to return home, what does Rukmani buy from the vendor in celebration?
(a) Fried pancakes.
(b) Sugar whirls.
(d) Extra rice.
2. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
(a) She draws upon her secret hoard.
(b) She picks and cooks twigs and berries.
(c) She works for Kenny.
(d) She turns to prostitution.
3. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
4. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
(a) That Nathan is having an affair with Kali.
(b) That Nathan is the father of Kunthi's two sons.
(c) That Kenny and Rukmani have a secret relationship.
(d) That Ira is working as a prostitute.
5. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
(a) The naming ceremony.
(b) The baptismal ceremony.
(c) The Feast of Plenty ceremony.
(d) The circumcision ceremony.
6. Where do Rukmani and Nathan spend their first night in the city?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In the temple.
(c) In the street.
(d) In their son's house.
7. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
8. One night, Rukmani awakens to hear footsteps in her house. Who does Rukmani fear is in her house?
9. When they leave the village, who are Rukmani and Nathan planning to live with?
10. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
(a) The workers are striking.
(b) The rains are not coming.
(c) The children are rebelling.
(d) The neighbors are stealing.
11. After their first night in the city, what do Rukmani and Nathan own?
(a) Their mats, their clothes, and three rupees.
(b) Three rupees and their clothes.
(c) The clothes they are wearing.
(d) Their clothes and their mats.
12. Where is Nathan when he dies?
(a) On an oxen cart.
(b) In the temple.
(c) In his village.
(d) On the side of the road.
13. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
(a) The temple is no longer safe.
(b) Nathan is ill with a fever.
(c) They have more money saved than she thought.
(d) Puli is stealing from them.
14. When Rukmani goes to Kenny's house to visit with him in Chapter 18, what news does Rukmani learn?
(a) He is a grandfather.
(b) His wife has left him.
(c) He will be staying in the village for good.
(d) He will no longer be practicing medicine.
15. Who is Puli?
(a) The doctor that their son works for.
(b) The boy who leads the couple to their son's home.
(c) The social worker who gives them shelter.
(d) The priest at the temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
2. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Puli?
3. What is the name of Murugan's wife?
4. What does Old Granny die from?
5. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)