|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the same visit with Kenny at his house, what news does Rukmani share with Kenny?
(a) Her family is starving.
(b) Ira is pregnant.
(c) Nathan has left her.
(d) She is pregnant.
2. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Nathan's death?
(a) He died cold and wet.
(b) His death was a gentle passing.
(c) He was alone when he died.
(d) She could not save him.
3. What does Ira name her son?
4. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing wages.
(b) Stealing a calf skin.
(c) Stealing rice.
(d) Stealing a bullock.
5. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They go to work at the tannery.
(b) They teach other villagers to read and write.
(c) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
(d) They sell some of their belongings.
6. When they leave the village, who are Rukmani and Nathan planning to live with?
7. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
(a) Two rupees.
(b) Seven annas.
(c) One rupee.
(d) Four annas.
8. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
9. Which of Rukmani's sons is killed at the beginning of Chapter 15?
10. When Rukmani reaches Nathan's village, who comes running to meet Rukmani?
11. Who, besides his mother, accepts Sacrabani unconditionally?
12. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
13. In order to earn enough money to return to their village, Nathan and Rukmani continue to work in the city in spite of the rain that begins to fall. How many days in a row does it rain?
14. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Their belongings are stolen.
(b) Murugan finds them.
(c) Nathan falls ill.
(d) They decide to return to their village.
15. How much money do Rukmani and Nathan leave the village with?
(a) Sixteen rupees.
(b) Three rupees.
(c) Ten rupees.
(d) Twenty rupees.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they reach the doctor's house where their son works, what are Rukmani and Nathan told by the servants?
2. Why has Kenny returned to the village?
3. How long does it actually take to complete the hospital?
4. When the bullock drops Rukmani and Nathan off in the city, how far are they from Koil Road?
5. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)