|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Their belongings are stolen.
(b) They decide to return to their village.
(c) Murugan finds them.
(d) Nathan falls ill.
2. Where do Rukmani and Nathan go after leaving the doctor's house?
(a) To the Collector's house.
(b) To the market.
(c) To their village.
(d) To the temple.
3. As the drought continues, how much food is available for the family when Rukmani first measures it?
(a) 6 ollocks.
(b) 10 ollocks.
(c) 4 ollocks.
(d) 20 ollocks.
4. When the doctor returns to the house, what do Rukmani and Nathan find surprising?
(a) The doctor is very old.
(b) The doctor cannot write.
(c) The doctor is very young.
(d) The doctor is a woman.
5. When they reach the doctor's house where their son works, what are Rukmani and Nathan told by the servants?
(a) Murugan is ill.
(b) Murugan has died.
(c) Murugan does not work there anymore.
(d) Murugan is away with the doctor.
6. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
(a) 10 rupees.
(b) 30 rupees.
(c) 145 rupees.
(d) 75 rupees.
7. When Rukmani reaches Nathan's village, who comes running to meet Rukmani?
8. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
(a) She works for Kenny.
(b) She draws upon her secret hoard.
(c) She picks and cooks twigs and berries.
(d) She turns to prostitution.
9. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
(a) The rent is being increased.
(b) The new crop will be wheat, not rice.
(c) The land is being sold.
(d) The landowner is coming to the village himself.
10. After leaving the Collector's house, where do Rukmani and Nathan go?
(a) To their village.
(b) To the hotel.
(c) To the temple.
(d) To the doctor's house.
11. Where do Rukmani and Nathan spend their first night in the city?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In the street.
(c) In the temple.
(d) In their son's house.
12. When Rukmani goes into the village to sell her vegetables, what does Biswas tell Rukmani?
(a) That Kenny has returned.
(b) That her sons are returning from Ceylon.
(c) That he owes her money.
(d) That she owes him money.
13. After their first night in the city, what do Rukmani and Nathan own?
(a) Three rupees and their clothes.
(b) Their mats, their clothes, and three rupees.
(c) The clothes they are wearing.
(d) Their clothes and their mats.
14. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
15. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Forty days.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rukmani actually find in the house?
2. Which of Rukmani's sons marries of his own accord?
3. Who is Puli?
4. What does Rukmani use for the first time at the doctor's house?
5. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)