|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the Collector's house, where do Rukmani and Nathan go?
(a) To the temple.
(b) To the doctor's house.
(c) To the hotel.
(d) To their village.
2. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) They decide to return to their village.
(b) Their belongings are stolen.
(c) Nathan falls ill.
(d) Murugan finds them.
3. Where do Rukmani and Nathan spend their first night in the city?
(a) In the street.
(b) In their son's house.
(c) In the temple.
(d) In a hotel.
4. When the doctor returns to the house, what do Rukmani and Nathan find surprising?
(a) The doctor is very old.
(b) The doctor cannot write.
(c) The doctor is a woman.
(d) The doctor is very young.
5. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
(c) Old Granny.
6. What does Kenny recommend that Nathan needs to eat when he is ill in order to regain his strength?
(a) Rice and vegetables.
(b) Butter and rice.
(c) Milk and vegetables.
(d) Wheat and barley.
7. What does Ira name her son?
8. Before identifying the intruder in her house, what does Rukmani do?
(a) Slips out of the house until the intruder leaves.
(b) Fights with the intruder.
(c) Wakes Nathan up.
(d) Shoots the intruder.
9. In celebration of almost having enough money to return to the village, what does Rukmani buy in the city for both Puli and for her grandson?
(a) Fried potatoes.
(b) New shirts.
(c) New blocks.
(d) Dum-dum carts.
10. What affliction is Ira's son born with?
(a) He has a cleft palate.
(b) He is underweight.
(c) He has one arm.
(d) He is an albino.
11. While still living in the city, who do Rukmani and Nathan entrust their money to while they go to work each day?
(d) The overseer.
12. Who does Rukmani try to sell her clothing to in order to raise enough money for rent?
13. When the bullock drops Rukmani and Nathan off in the city, how far are they from Koil Road?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Fifteen miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) One mile.
14. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
(a) The Feast of Plenty ceremony.
(b) The baptismal ceremony.
(c) The naming ceremony.
(d) The circumcision ceremony.
15. How many annas do Nathan and Rukmani earn from the overseer where they are working in the city?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Puli?
2. According to Kenny's plan, how long should it take to build the hospital?
3. Which of Rukmani's sons marries of his own accord?
4. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
5. Which one of Nathan's sons has no skill for farming?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)