|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they reach the doctor's house where their son works, what are Rukmani and Nathan told by the servants?
(a) Murugan does not work there anymore.
(b) Murugan is ill.
(c) Murugan is away with the doctor.
(d) Murugan has died.
2. When the bullock drops Rukmani and Nathan off in the city, how far are they from Koil Road?
(a) Fifteen miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Ten miles.
3. Which of Rukmani's sons is killed at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. When the tannery officials are visiting Rukmani, what do they accuse her sons of being?
(a) Young kids.
(b) Good workers.
(d) Lazy men.
5. Where is Nathan when he dies?
(a) On an oxen cart.
(b) On the side of the road.
(c) In his village.
(d) In the temple.
6. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
7. What affliction is Ira's son born with?
(a) He is an albino.
(b) He has one arm.
(c) He has a cleft palate.
(d) He is underweight.
8. Upon her return to Nathan's village, where will Rukmani live?
(a) She will live on their old land.
(b) She will live by herself.
(c) She will live with Selvam and Ira.
(d) She will live with Kunthi.
9. Who do Rukmani and Nathan share their rice with at the temple?
10. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
(a) One rupee.
(b) Two rupees.
(c) Four annas.
(d) Seven annas.
11. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
(a) That Ira is working as a prostitute.
(b) That Nathan is having an affair with Kali.
(c) That Kenny and Rukmani have a secret relationship.
(d) That Nathan is the father of Kunthi's two sons.
12. Who does Rukmani try to sell her clothing to in order to raise enough money for rent?
13. How is Ira earning the money she is using to buy food for her brother?
(a) By gambling in the tavern.
(b) By selling her writings.
(c) By prostituting herself.
(d) By teaching other villagers to read.
14. During the same visit with Kenny at his house, what news does Rukmani share with Kenny?
(a) Ira is pregnant.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) Her family is starving.
(d) Nathan has left her.
15. How much money do Rukmani and Nathan leave the village with?
(a) Three rupees.
(b) Sixteen rupees.
(c) Twenty rupees.
(d) Ten rupees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rukmani talk Nathan out of selling?
2. Where do Rukmani and Nathan spend their first night in the city?
3. Where is Old Granny's body found?
4. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
5. In order to pay their rent, what is Rukmani forced to sell?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)