|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ira name her son?
2. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
(a) The rent is being increased.
(b) The land is being sold.
(c) The landowner is coming to the village himself.
(d) The new crop will be wheat, not rice.
3. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
(c) Old Granny.
4. Which of Rukmani's sons is killed at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
6. Why does Rukmani feel some relief when her son finally dies of starvation?
(a) His struggle is now over and he is at peace.
(b) Nathan will no longer blame her for their son's condition.
(c) Ira can now sleep in her brother's bed, instead of on the floor.
(d) She no longer has to care for the sick child.
7. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
(a) 30 rupees.
(b) 145 rupees.
(c) 10 rupees.
(d) 75 rupees.
8. Which of Rukmani's sons marries of his own accord?
9. In order to earn enough money to return to their village, Nathan and Rukmani continue to work in the city in spite of the rain that begins to fall. How many days in a row does it rain?
10. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing rice.
(b) Stealing a calf skin.
(c) Stealing a bullock.
(d) Stealing wages.
11. Upon her return to Nathan's village, where will Rukmani live?
(a) She will live on their old land.
(b) She will live by herself.
(c) She will live with Kunthi.
(d) She will live with Selvam and Ira.
12. Who does Rukmani try to sell her clothing to in order to raise enough money for rent?
13. What does Old Granny die from?
(a) A fall.
(b) A beating .
14. What affliction is Ira's son born with?
(a) He is an albino.
(b) He is underweight.
(c) He has a cleft palate.
(d) He has one arm.
15. Where is Nathan when he dies?
(a) On the side of the road.
(b) In the temple.
(c) In his village.
(d) On an oxen cart.
Short Answer Questions
1. During which season is Ira's child born?
2. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
3. How is Ira earning the money she is using to buy food for her brother?
4. Who is Brila?
5. Where is Old Granny's body found?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)