|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Their belongings are stolen.
(b) Nathan falls ill.
(c) They decide to return to their village.
(d) Murugan finds them.
2. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
(a) Nathan is ill with a fever.
(b) They have more money saved than she thought.
(c) Puli is stealing from them.
(d) The temple is no longer safe.
3. Who does Rukmani actually find in the house?
4. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
(a) Old Granny.
5. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
(a) The road has given way.
(b) Nathan has fallen.
(c) The rocks have slid into the road.
(d) A cart is stuck in the mud.
6. Shortly after Sacrabani's birth, something happens to Nathan for the first time. What is it?
(a) Nathan falls ill.
(b) Nathan leaves Rukmani.
(c) Nathan quits farming.
(d) Nathan works at the tannery.
7. Where do Rukmani and Nathan spend their first night in the city?
(a) In their son's house.
(b) In the street.
(c) In the temple.
(d) In a hotel.
8. During the drought, Rukmani takes the food she has available and then divides their food into serving portions. How many days' worth of food do they have?
9. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
10. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Forty days.
11. During which season is Ira's child born?
12. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing rice.
(b) Stealing a bullock.
(c) Stealing a calf skin.
(d) Stealing wages.
13. When Rukmani goes into the village to sell her vegetables, what does Biswas tell Rukmani?
(a) That her sons are returning from Ceylon.
(b) That he owes her money.
(c) That Kenny has returned.
(d) That she owes him money.
14. Who comes to the farm to collect the rent?
15. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the bullock drops Rukmani and Nathan off in the city, how far are they from Koil Road?
2. How long does it actually take to complete the hospital?
3. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
4. Nathan and Rukmani's guide tells them of a better way to earn money in the city. Where does he tell them to go?
5. After leaving the Collector's house, where do Rukmani and Nathan go?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)