|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nathan falls ill while he and Rukmani are in the city. What is his illness?
2. Who does Rukmani actually find in the house?
3. After leaving the Collector's house, where do Rukmani and Nathan go?
(a) To the hotel.
(b) To the doctor's house.
(c) To their village.
(d) To the temple.
4. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
(a) Puli is stealing from them.
(b) The temple is no longer safe.
(c) Nathan is ill with a fever.
(d) They have more money saved than she thought.
5. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
(a) Two months.
(b) Forty days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Ten days.
6. Upon her return to Nathan's village, where will Rukmani live?
(a) She will live by herself.
(b) She will live with Selvam and Ira.
(c) She will live with Kunthi.
(d) She will live on their old land.
7. Before identifying the intruder in her house, what does Rukmani do?
(a) Wakes Nathan up.
(b) Shoots the intruder.
(c) Fights with the intruder.
(d) Slips out of the house until the intruder leaves.
8. What does Old Granny die from?
(b) A beating .
(d) A fall.
9. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
(a) She draws upon her secret hoard.
(b) She works for Kenny.
(c) She picks and cooks twigs and berries.
(d) She turns to prostitution.
10. Who do Nathan and Rukmani meet at the Collector's house?
(a) Their son's wife.
(b) The tannery's overseer.
(c) The Collector himself.
(d) Kenny's former wife.
11. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
12. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They go to work at the tannery.
(b) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
(c) They teach other villagers to read and write.
(d) They sell some of their belongings.
13. When the tannery officials are visiting Rukmani, what do they accuse her sons of being?
(b) Lazy men.
(c) Young kids.
(d) Good workers.
14. What is the name of Murugan's wife?
15. Which of Rukmani's sons is killed at the beginning of Chapter 15?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rukmani try to sell her clothing to in order to raise enough money for rent?
2. During which season is Ira's child born?
3. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
4. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
5. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)