|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rukmani reaches Nathan's village, who comes running to meet Rukmani?
2. Who is Puli?
(a) The priest at the temple.
(b) The boy who leads the couple to their son's home.
(c) The doctor that their son works for.
(d) The social worker who gives them shelter.
3. How does Rukmani first earn money when she and Nathan are in the city?
(b) Cleaning homes.
(d) Writing letters.
4. When Rukmani goes to the river to wash Ira's garment, what does she find in the garment's folds?
(a) A writing tablet.
(b) A coconut frond.
(c) A bundle of rice.
(d) A rupee.
5. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
(a) The naming ceremony.
(b) The baptismal ceremony.
(c) The circumcision ceremony.
(d) The Feast of Plenty ceremony.
6. What does Ira tell Sacrabani about his father?
(a) That he doesn't want them.
(b) That he is dead.
(c) That he is married to another woman.
(d) That he is away and will come to them when he can.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
(a) The harvest is mostly destroyed by another monsoon.
(b) The harvest is enough to pay their rent, but with nothing left over.
(c) The harvest is meager.
(d) The harvest is more than enough to pay what they owe.
8. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
9. What does Kenny recommend that Nathan needs to eat when he is ill in order to regain his strength?
(a) Butter and rice.
(b) Milk and vegetables.
(c) Rice and vegetables.
(d) Wheat and barley.
10. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
(a) She draws upon her secret hoard.
(b) She picks and cooks twigs and berries.
(c) She works for Kenny.
(d) She turns to prostitution.
11. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
12. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
(d) Old Granny.
13. During which season is Ira's child born?
14. In order to pay their rent, what is Rukmani forced to sell?
(a) Her new dress.
(b) Ira's new dowry.
(c) Her mother's ring.
(d) Her red sari.
15. After leaving the Collector's house, where do Rukmani and Nathan go?
(a) To the doctor's house.
(b) To the temple.
(c) To the hotel.
(d) To their village.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their first night in the city, what do Rukmani and Nathan own?
2. While still living in the city, who do Rukmani and Nathan entrust their money to while they go to work each day?
3. When Rukmani goes to Kenny's house to visit with him in Chapter 18, what news does Rukmani learn?
4. What does Ira name her son?
5. Why does Kunthi come Rukmani's house during the drought?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)