|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Nathan's sons has no skill for farming?
2. What does Ira tell Sacrabani about his father?
(a) That he doesn't want them.
(b) That he is married to another woman.
(c) That he is dead.
(d) That he is away and will come to them when he can.
3. In order to pay their rent, what is Rukmani forced to sell?
(a) Her red sari.
(b) Her mother's ring.
(c) Her new dress.
(d) Ira's new dowry.
4. After the conversation with Biswas in the village, what does Rukmani buy for Kenny?
(a) A bundle of rice.
(b) A new hat.
(c) A new shirt.
(d) A garland.
5. Nathan and Rukmani's guide tells them of a better way to earn money in the city. Where does he tell them to go?
(a) To the stone quarry.
(b) To the Collector's house.
(c) To the neighboring city.
(d) To the inn.
6. One night, Rukmani awakens to hear footsteps in her house. Who does Rukmani fear is in her house?
7. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing a bullock.
(b) Stealing wages.
(c) Stealing a calf skin.
(d) Stealing rice.
8. How does Rukmani first earn money when she and Nathan are in the city?
(b) Cleaning homes.
(d) Writing letters.
9. Shortly after Sacrabani's birth, something happens to Nathan for the first time. What is it?
(a) Nathan falls ill.
(b) Nathan works at the tannery.
(c) Nathan leaves Rukmani.
(d) Nathan quits farming.
10. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Puli?
(a) He was kind to them in the city.
(b) They adopted him before Nathan's death.
(c) He will be returning to the city.
(d) He will be given in marriage to Kunthi's daughter.
11. Before identifying the intruder in her house, what does Rukmani do?
(a) Shoots the intruder.
(b) Fights with the intruder.
(c) Slips out of the house until the intruder leaves.
(d) Wakes Nathan up.
12. Which of Rukmani's sons is killed at the beginning of Chapter 15?
13. What does Old Granny die from?
(a) A fall.
(c) A beating .
14. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
(a) The harvest is mostly destroyed by another monsoon.
(b) The harvest is more than enough to pay what they owe.
(c) The harvest is meager.
(d) The harvest is enough to pay their rent, but with nothing left over.
15. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Forty days.
(d) Ten days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
2. Who does Rukmani actually find in the house?
3. Who, besides his mother, accepts Sacrabani unconditionally?
4. Why has Kenny returned to the village?
5. After leaving the Collector's house, where do Rukmani and Nathan go?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)