|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In celebration of almost having enough money to return to the village, what does Rukmani buy in the city for both Puli and for her grandson?
(a) New blocks.
(b) Dum-dum carts.
(c) Fried potatoes.
(d) New shirts.
2. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
(a) 145 rupees.
(b) 75 rupees.
(c) 30 rupees.
(d) 10 rupees.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
(a) The harvest is more than enough to pay what they owe.
(b) The harvest is mostly destroyed by another monsoon.
(c) The harvest is meager.
(d) The harvest is enough to pay their rent, but with nothing left over.
4. Why has Kenny returned to the village?
(a) To build a hospital.
(b) To build a house for himself.
(c) To care for the tannery employees.
(d) To marry Rukmani.
5. Why does Kunthi come Rukmani's house during the drought?
(a) She is lonely and needs an old friend.
(b) She is afraid for her sons in Ceylon.
(c) She demands some of Rukmani's rice.
(d) She is selling some of her clothing for food.
6. After leaving the Collector's house, where do Rukmani and Nathan go?
(a) To the doctor's house.
(b) To their village.
(c) To the temple.
(d) To the hotel.
7. What does Rukmani use for the first time at the doctor's house?
(a) An electric stove.
(b) A latrine.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A lamp.
8. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Nathan falls ill.
(b) Their belongings are stolen.
(c) Murugan finds them.
(d) They decide to return to their village.
9. What does Ira name her son?
10. After the conversation with Biswas in the village, what does Rukmani buy for Kenny?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A garland.
(c) A bundle of rice.
(d) A new hat.
11. How is Ira earning the money she is using to buy food for her brother?
(a) By gambling in the tavern.
(b) By teaching other villagers to read.
(c) By selling her writings.
(d) By prostituting herself.
12. As the drought continues, how much food is available for the family when Rukmani first measures it?
(a) 4 ollocks.
(b) 20 ollocks.
(c) 10 ollocks.
(d) 6 ollocks.
13. In order to pay their rent, what is Rukmani forced to sell?
(a) Her red sari.
(b) Ira's new dowry.
(c) Her new dress.
(d) Her mother's ring.
14. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
(b) Old Granny.
15. Who do Rukmani and Nathan share their rice with at the temple?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, besides his mother, accepts Sacrabani unconditionally?
2. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
3. What does Rukmani talk Nathan out of selling?
4. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
5. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)