|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they reach the doctor's house where their son works, what are Rukmani and Nathan told by the servants?
(a) Murugan is ill.
(b) Murugan is away with the doctor.
(c) Murugan does not work there anymore.
(d) Murugan has died.
2. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
3. Which one of Nathan's sons has no skill for farming?
4. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
(a) The land is being sold.
(b) The new crop will be wheat, not rice.
(c) The rent is being increased.
(d) The landowner is coming to the village himself.
5. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
(a) The rains are not coming.
(b) The workers are striking.
(c) The children are rebelling.
(d) The neighbors are stealing.
6. After their first night in the city, what do Rukmani and Nathan own?
(a) The clothes they are wearing.
(b) Their mats, their clothes, and three rupees.
(c) Their clothes and their mats.
(d) Three rupees and their clothes.
7. How many annas do Nathan and Rukmani earn from the overseer where they are working in the city?
8. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They go to work at the tannery.
(b) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
(c) They sell some of their belongings.
(d) They teach other villagers to read and write.
9. Where do Rukmani and Nathan spend their first night in the city?
(a) In their son's house.
(b) In the temple.
(c) In the street.
(d) In a hotel.
10. When they leave the village, who are Rukmani and Nathan planning to live with?
11. According to Kenny's plan, how long should it take to build the hospital?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Twenty-seven months.
12. While still living in the city, who do Rukmani and Nathan entrust their money to while they go to work each day?
(c) The overseer.
13. During the same visit with Kenny at his house, what news does Rukmani share with Kenny?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) Her family is starving.
(c) Ira is pregnant.
(d) Nathan has left her.
14. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Puli?
(a) He will be given in marriage to Kunthi's daughter.
(b) He was kind to them in the city.
(c) They adopted him before Nathan's death.
(d) He will be returning to the city.
15. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) They decide to return to their village.
(b) Their belongings are stolen.
(c) Murugan finds them.
(d) Nathan falls ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to earn enough money to return to their village, Nathan and Rukmani continue to work in the city in spite of the rain that begins to fall. How many days in a row does it rain?
2. In celebration of almost having enough money to return to the village, what does Rukmani buy in the city for both Puli and for her grandson?
3. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
4. How does Rukmani first earn money when she and Nathan are in the city?
5. What does Rukmani talk Nathan out of selling?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)