|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
2. When they leave the village, who are Rukmani and Nathan planning to live with?
3. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
4. How long does it actually take to complete the hospital?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Twenty-nine months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Seven months.
5. Who comes to the farm to collect the rent?
6. Where do Rukmani and Nathan spend their first night in the city?
(a) In the street.
(b) In the temple.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In their son's house.
7. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
(a) Nathan has fallen.
(b) A cart is stuck in the mud.
(c) The rocks have slid into the road.
(d) The road has given way.
8. What affliction is Ira's son born with?
(a) He is an albino.
(b) He is underweight.
(c) He has one arm.
(d) He has a cleft palate.
9. When Rukmani goes into the village to sell her vegetables, what does Biswas tell Rukmani?
(a) That Kenny has returned.
(b) That he owes her money.
(c) That she owes him money.
(d) That her sons are returning from Ceylon.
10. During the drought, Rukmani takes the food she has available and then divides their food into serving portions. How many days' worth of food do they have?
11. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Nathan falls ill.
(b) Murugan finds them.
(c) Their belongings are stolen.
(d) They decide to return to their village.
12. According to Kenny's plan, how long should it take to build the hospital?
(a) Twenty-seven months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Ten months.
(d) One year.
13. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing a bullock.
(b) Stealing rice.
(c) Stealing a calf skin.
(d) Stealing wages.
14. When Rukmani goes to Kenny's house to visit with him in Chapter 18, what news does Rukmani learn?
(a) His wife has left him.
(b) He will no longer be practicing medicine.
(c) He will be staying in the village for good.
(d) He is a grandfather.
15. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the doctor returns to the house, what do Rukmani and Nathan find surprising?
2. After their first night in the city, what do Rukmani and Nathan own?
3. How does Rukmani first earn money when she and Nathan are in the city?
4. When they reach the doctor's house where their son works, what are Rukmani and Nathan told by the servants?
5. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)