|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Nathan's sons has no skill for farming?
2. Why does Kenny not help Rukmani when ask. him for food during the drought?
(a) He does not want to share his resources with her.
(b) He is helping feed the tannery workers.
(c) He is not in the village.
(d) He does not have enough food for himself.
3. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
(a) The baptismal ceremony.
(b) The Feast of Plenty ceremony.
(c) The naming ceremony.
(d) The circumcision ceremony.
4. When Rukmani goes to the river to wash Ira's garment, what does she find in the garment's folds?
(a) A rupee.
(b) A bundle of rice.
(c) A coconut frond.
(d) A writing tablet.
5. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing wages.
(b) Stealing a bullock.
(c) Stealing a calf skin.
(d) Stealing rice.
6. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Forty days.
(d) Two weeks.
7. According to Kenny's plan, how long should it take to build the hospital?
(a) One year.
(b) Twenty-seven months.
(c) Three years.
(d) Ten months.
8. During the drought, Rukmani takes the food she has available and then divides their food into serving portions. How many days' worth of food do they have?
9. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Murugan finds them.
(b) Nathan falls ill.
(c) They decide to return to their village.
(d) Their belongings are stolen.
10. What does Ira name her son?
11. Who do Rukmani and Nathan share their rice with at the temple?
12. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
13. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
(a) That Kenny and Rukmani have a secret relationship.
(b) That Ira is working as a prostitute.
(c) That Nathan is having an affair with Kali.
(d) That Nathan is the father of Kunthi's two sons.
14. As the drought continues, how much food is available for the family when Rukmani first measures it?
(a) 20 ollocks.
(b) 10 ollocks.
(c) 4 ollocks.
(d) 6 ollocks.
15. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
(b) They sell some of their belongings.
(c) They teach other villagers to read and write.
(d) They go to work at the tannery.
Short Answer Questions
1. In celebration of almost having enough money to return to the village, what does Rukmani buy in the city for both Puli and for her grandson?
2. When Rukmani reaches Nathan's village, who comes running to meet Rukmani?
3. Why does Rukmani feel some relief when her son finally dies of starvation?
4. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
5. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)