|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Rukmani's sons actually dies from starvation?
2. In order to earn enough money to return to their village, Nathan and Rukmani continue to work in the city in spite of the rain that begins to fall. How many days in a row does it rain?
3. When Rukmani and Nathan have almost earned enough money to return home, what does Rukmani buy from the vendor in celebration?
(b) Extra rice.
(c) Fried pancakes.
(d) Sugar whirls.
4. After the conversation with Biswas in the village, what does Rukmani buy for Kenny?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A new hat.
(c) A garland.
(d) A bundle of rice.
5. One night, Rukmani awakens to hear footsteps in her house. Who does Rukmani fear is in her house?
6. What does Rukmani talk Nathan out of selling?
(a) Their pots and pans.
(b) Their bullocks.
(c) Their wedding clothes.
(d) The next season's seed.
7. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Nathan's death?
(a) She could not save him.
(b) He was alone when he died.
(c) He died cold and wet.
(d) His death was a gentle passing.
8. When Rukmani goes to Kenny's house to visit with him in Chapter 18, what news does Rukmani learn?
(a) He will no longer be practicing medicine.
(b) He will be staying in the village for good.
(c) His wife has left him.
(d) He is a grandfather.
9. What does Kenny recommend that Nathan needs to eat when he is ill in order to regain his strength?
(a) Butter and rice.
(b) Wheat and barley.
(c) Milk and vegetables.
(d) Rice and vegetables.
10. Which of Rukmani's sons marries of his own accord?
11. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
(a) 30 rupees.
(b) 75 rupees.
(c) 10 rupees.
(d) 145 rupees.
12. Who does Rukmani actually find in the house?
13. What does Ira tell Sacrabani about his father?
(a) That he is away and will come to them when he can.
(b) That he doesn't want them.
(c) That he is married to another woman.
(d) That he is dead.
14. When they reach the doctor's house where their son works, what are Rukmani and Nathan told by the servants?
(a) Murugan has died.
(b) Murugan is ill.
(c) Murugan does not work there anymore.
(d) Murugan is away with the doctor.
15. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing a bullock.
(b) Stealing a calf skin.
(c) Stealing wages.
(d) Stealing rice.
Short Answer Questions
1. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
2. How does Rukmani first earn money when she and Nathan are in the city?
3. Where do Rukmani and Nathan go after leaving the doctor's house?
4. When Rukmani goes into the village to sell her vegetables, what does Biswas tell Rukmani?
5. Nathan and Rukmani's guide tells them of a better way to earn money in the city. Where does he tell them to go?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)