|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
2. During the construction of the hospital, what becomes Kenny's most frequent saying?
(a) The hospital will be a blessing. You'll see.
(b) I will find a way.
(c) It will be done soon.
(d) Selvam is a wonderful help to me.
3. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
(a) That Nathan is having an affair with Kali.
(b) That Ira is working as a prostitute.
(c) That Kenny and Rukmani have a secret relationship.
(d) That Nathan is the father of Kunthi's two sons.
4. When they leave the village, who are Rukmani and Nathan planning to live with?
5. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
(a) Two rupees.
(b) One rupee.
(c) Seven annas.
(d) Four annas.
6. When Rukmani reaches Nathan's village, who comes running to meet Rukmani?
7. When she finally earns enough money to return to Nathan's village, who accompanies Rukmani on her return?
(d) The temple priest.
8. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
(a) She works for Kenny.
(b) She picks and cooks twigs and berries.
(c) She turns to prostitution.
(d) She draws upon her secret hoard.
9. Why has Kenny returned to the village?
(a) To care for the tannery employees.
(b) To marry Rukmani.
(c) To build a house for himself.
(d) To build a hospital.
10. What does Old Granny die from?
(a) A beating .
(b) A fall.
11. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
(a) 10 rupees.
(b) 75 rupees.
(c) 30 rupees.
(d) 145 rupees.
12. One night, Rukmani awakens to hear footsteps in her house. Who does Rukmani fear is in her house?
13. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
(a) The workers are striking.
(b) The neighbors are stealing.
(c) The children are rebelling.
(d) The rains are not coming.
14. Who do Nathan and Rukmani meet at the Collector's house?
(a) Kenny's former wife.
(b) The Collector himself.
(c) Their son's wife.
(d) The tannery's overseer.
15. When Rukmani goes to the river to wash Ira's garment, what does she find in the garment's folds?
(a) A writing tablet.
(b) A rupee.
(c) A bundle of rice.
(d) A coconut frond.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the tannery officials are visiting Rukmani, what do they accuse her sons of being?
2. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
3. When Rukmani goes to Kenny's house to visit with him in Chapter 18, what news does Rukmani learn?
4. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
5. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Nathan's death?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)