|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they leave the village, who are Rukmani and Nathan planning to live with?
2. When Rukmani goes to Kenny's house to visit with him in Chapter 18, what news does Rukmani learn?
(a) He is a grandfather.
(b) He will no longer be practicing medicine.
(c) His wife has left him.
(d) He will be staying in the village for good.
3. How is Ira earning the money she is using to buy food for her brother?
(a) By gambling in the tavern.
(b) By teaching other villagers to read.
(c) By selling her writings.
(d) By prostituting herself.
4. Why does Kunthi come Rukmani's house during the drought?
(a) She is selling some of her clothing for food.
(b) She is afraid for her sons in Ceylon.
(c) She demands some of Rukmani's rice.
(d) She is lonely and needs an old friend.
5. How long does it actually take to complete the hospital?
(a) Two years.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Twenty-nine months.
6. Who comes to the farm to collect the rent?
7. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Nathan falls ill.
(b) Their belongings are stolen.
(c) They decide to return to their village.
(d) Murugan finds them.
8. What does Rukmani talk Nathan out of selling?
(a) Their bullocks.
(b) The next season's seed.
(c) Their pots and pans.
(d) Their wedding clothes.
9. Why does Rukmani feel some relief when her son finally dies of starvation?
(a) Nathan will no longer blame her for their son's condition.
(b) His struggle is now over and he is at peace.
(c) Ira can now sleep in her brother's bed, instead of on the floor.
(d) She no longer has to care for the sick child.
10. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing wages.
(b) Stealing rice.
(c) Stealing a calf skin.
(d) Stealing a bullock.
11. Before identifying the intruder in her house, what does Rukmani do?
(a) Wakes Nathan up.
(b) Fights with the intruder.
(c) Slips out of the house until the intruder leaves.
(d) Shoots the intruder.
12. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
13. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
(a) 10 rupees.
(b) 145 rupees.
(c) 30 rupees.
(d) 75 rupees.
14. How does Rukmani first earn money when she and Nathan are in the city?
(b) Writing letters.
(c) Cleaning homes.
15. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They teach other villagers to read and write.
(b) They sell some of their belongings.
(c) They go to work at the tannery.
(d) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the conversation with Biswas in the village, what does Rukmani buy for Kenny?
2. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
3. When Rukmani goes into the village to sell her vegetables, what does Biswas tell Rukmani?
4. What is the name of Murugan's wife?
5. What does Ira name her son?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)