|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Puli?
(a) They adopted him before Nathan's death.
(b) He will be given in marriage to Kunthi's daughter.
(c) He will be returning to the city.
(d) He was kind to them in the city.
2. After their first night in the city, what do Rukmani and Nathan own?
(a) Their clothes and their mats.
(b) The clothes they are wearing.
(c) Their mats, their clothes, and three rupees.
(d) Three rupees and their clothes.
3. One night, Rukmani awakens to hear footsteps in her house. Who does Rukmani fear is in her house?
4. Which of Rukmani's sons is killed at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
(a) The road has given way.
(b) A cart is stuck in the mud.
(c) The rocks have slid into the road.
(d) Nathan has fallen.
6. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Nathan's death?
(a) She could not save him.
(b) He was alone when he died.
(c) His death was a gentle passing.
(d) He died cold and wet.
7. Nathan and Rukmani's guide tells them of a better way to earn money in the city. Where does he tell them to go?
(a) To the inn.
(b) To the Collector's house.
(c) To the stone quarry.
(d) To the neighboring city.
8. Upon her return to Nathan's village, where will Rukmani live?
(a) She will live by herself.
(b) She will live with Kunthi.
(c) She will live on their old land.
(d) She will live with Selvam and Ira.
9. During the construction of the hospital, what becomes Kenny's most frequent saying?
(a) I will find a way.
(b) It will be done soon.
(c) Selvam is a wonderful help to me.
(d) The hospital will be a blessing. You'll see.
10. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
(a) The naming ceremony.
(b) The baptismal ceremony.
(c) The circumcision ceremony.
(d) The Feast of Plenty ceremony.
11. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
12. Who is Brila?
(a) The priest at the temple.
(b) The social worker who gives them shelter.
(c) The boy who leads them to the couple.
(d) The doctor their son works for.
13. When they leave the village, who are Rukmani and Nathan planning to live with?
14. In order to pay their rent, what is Rukmani forced to sell?
(a) Ira's new dowry.
(b) Her red sari.
(c) Her new dress.
(d) Her mother's ring.
15. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
3. In order to earn enough money to return to their village, Nathan and Rukmani continue to work in the city in spite of the rain that begins to fall. How many days in a row does it rain?
4. How much money do Rukmani and Nathan leave the village with?
5. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)