|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Puli?
(a) He will be returning to the city.
(b) He will be given in marriage to Kunthi's daughter.
(c) He was kind to them in the city.
(d) They adopted him before Nathan's death.
2. During which season is Ira's child born?
3. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
(a) The temple is no longer safe.
(b) Puli is stealing from them.
(c) They have more money saved than she thought.
(d) Nathan is ill with a fever.
4. Where do Rukmani and Nathan go after leaving the doctor's house?
(a) To the Collector's house.
(b) To the market.
(c) To their village.
(d) To the temple.
5. How many rupees do Nathan and Rukmani need for the journey back to their village?
6. Before identifying the intruder in her house, what does Rukmani do?
(a) Shoots the intruder.
(b) Slips out of the house until the intruder leaves.
(c) Wakes Nathan up.
(d) Fights with the intruder.
7. When Rukmani reaches Nathan's village, who comes running to meet Rukmani?
8. Shortly after Sacrabani's birth, something happens to Nathan for the first time. What is it?
(a) Nathan works at the tannery.
(b) Nathan quits farming.
(c) Nathan falls ill.
(d) Nathan leaves Rukmani.
9. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They go to work at the tannery.
(b) They teach other villagers to read and write.
(c) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
(d) They sell some of their belongings.
10. While still living in the city, who do Rukmani and Nathan entrust their money to while they go to work each day?
(d) The overseer.
11. Which of Rukmani's sons actually dies from starvation?
12. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
(a) That Nathan is the father of Kunthi's two sons.
(b) That Kenny and Rukmani have a secret relationship.
(c) That Nathan is having an affair with Kali.
(d) That Ira is working as a prostitute.
13. Where is Nathan when he dies?
(a) In the temple.
(b) In his village.
(c) On an oxen cart.
(d) On the side of the road.
14. Which one of Nathan's sons has no skill for farming?
15. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) They decide to return to their village.
(b) Murugan finds them.
(c) Their belongings are stolen.
(d) Nathan falls ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
2. When Rukmani goes into the village to sell her vegetables, what does Biswas tell Rukmani?
3. Where is Old Granny's body found?
4. Which of Rukmani's sons is killed at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. Nathan falls ill while he and Rukmani are in the city. What is his illness?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)