|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
(a) The baptismal ceremony.
(b) The Feast of Plenty ceremony.
(c) The naming ceremony.
(d) The circumcision ceremony.
2. Where is Nathan when he dies?
(a) In the temple.
(b) In his village.
(c) On an oxen cart.
(d) On the side of the road.
3. When the tannery officials are visiting Rukmani, what do they accuse her sons of being?
(a) Lazy men.
(c) Good workers.
(d) Young kids.
4. What is the name of Murugan's wife?
5. How does Rukmani first earn money when she and Nathan are in the city?
(a) Cleaning homes.
(d) Writing letters.
6. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
(a) They have more money saved than she thought.
(b) Nathan is ill with a fever.
(c) The temple is no longer safe.
(d) Puli is stealing from them.
7. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
(a) Two months.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Forty days.
8. As the drought continues, how much food is available for the family when Rukmani first measures it?
(a) 20 ollocks.
(b) 4 ollocks.
(c) 6 ollocks.
(d) 10 ollocks.
9. On their first night in the city, what happens while Rukmani and Nathan are eating their dinner?
(a) Murugan finds them.
(b) Nathan falls ill.
(c) They decide to return to their village.
(d) Their belongings are stolen.
10. What does Ira tell Sacrabani about his father?
(a) That he is away and will come to them when he can.
(b) That he doesn't want them.
(c) That he is married to another woman.
(d) That he is dead.
11. Why has Kenny returned to the village?
(a) To build a hospital.
(b) To care for the tannery employees.
(c) To build a house for himself.
(d) To marry Rukmani.
12. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
(a) The workers are striking.
(b) The children are rebelling.
(c) The rains are not coming.
(d) The neighbors are stealing.
13. Who do Nathan and Rukmani meet at the Collector's house?
(a) The tannery's overseer.
(b) The Collector himself.
(c) Kenny's former wife.
(d) Their son's wife.
14. Ira and Sacrabani stay behind in the village. Who will they live with?
15. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
(a) The road has given way.
(b) A cart is stuck in the mud.
(c) Nathan has fallen.
(d) The rocks have slid into the road.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kunthi come Rukmani's house during the drought?
2. Before identifying the intruder in her house, what does Rukmani do?
3. Who believes that most of the troubles at the tannery--and indeed in the world--are a result of the education learned through books?
4. What does Rukmani use for the first time at the doctor's house?
5. When the doctor returns to the house, what do Rukmani and Nathan find surprising?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)