|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Rukmani and Nathan spend their first night in the city?
(a) In the temple.
(b) In the street.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In their son's house.
2. Who is Puli?
(a) The social worker who gives them shelter.
(b) The priest at the temple.
(c) The boy who leads the couple to their son's home.
(d) The doctor that their son works for.
3. When Rukmani and Nathan have almost earned enough money to return home, what does Rukmani buy from the vendor in celebration?
(b) Extra rice.
(c) Fried pancakes.
(d) Sugar whirls.
4. During the drought, Rukmani takes the food she has available and then divides their food into serving portions. How many days' worth of food do they have?
5. What does Ira name her son?
6. As the drought continues, how much food is available for the family when Rukmani first measures it?
(a) 6 ollocks.
(b) 4 ollocks.
(c) 20 ollocks.
(d) 10 ollocks.
7. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
(a) That Nathan is the father of Kunthi's two sons.
(b) That Kenny and Rukmani have a secret relationship.
(c) That Nathan is having an affair with Kali.
(d) That Ira is working as a prostitute.
8. When Rukmani goes into the village to sell her vegetables, what does Biswas tell Rukmani?
(a) That her sons are returning from Ceylon.
(b) That she owes him money.
(c) That Kenny has returned.
(d) That he owes her money.
9. What does Kenny recommend that Nathan needs to eat when he is ill in order to regain his strength?
(a) Butter and rice.
(b) Wheat and barley.
(c) Rice and vegetables.
(d) Milk and vegetables.
10. One night, Rukmani awakens to hear footsteps in her house. Who does Rukmani fear is in her house?
11. When the bullock drops Rukmani and Nathan off in the city, how far are they from Koil Road?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Fifteen miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) One mile.
12. By saving four annas a day for their journey, how long do Rukmani and Nathan figure they will have to work before being able to make the journey back to their village?
(a) Two months.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Forty days.
(d) Two weeks.
13. How does Rukmani first earn money when she and Nathan are in the city?
(a) Writing letters.
(c) Cleaning homes.
14. How long does it actually take to complete the hospital?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twenty-nine months.
(d) Seven months.
15. After Rukmani turns in her stones and has been paid, she notices a group of people on the side of the road. Why have the people stopped?
(a) The rocks have slid into the road.
(b) A cart is stuck in the mud.
(c) Nathan has fallen.
(d) The road has given way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
2. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
3. Which one of Nathan's sons has no skill for farming?
4. How is Ira earning the money she is using to buy food for her brother?
5. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)