|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kenny not help Rukmani when ask. him for food during the drought?
(a) He does not have enough food for himself.
(b) He does not want to share his resources with her.
(c) He is not in the village.
(d) He is helping feed the tannery workers.
2. As the drought continues, how much food is available for the family when Rukmani first measures it?
(a) 4 ollocks.
(b) 20 ollocks.
(c) 6 ollocks.
(d) 10 ollocks.
3. Who does Rukmani actually find in the house?
4. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing rice.
(b) Stealing wages.
(c) Stealing a bullock.
(d) Stealing a calf skin.
5. During the construction of the hospital, what becomes Kenny's most frequent saying?
(a) I will find a way.
(b) The hospital will be a blessing. You'll see.
(c) Selvam is a wonderful help to me.
(d) It will be done soon.
6. Why does Rukmani feel some relief when her son finally dies of starvation?
(a) Ira can now sleep in her brother's bed, instead of on the floor.
(b) She no longer has to care for the sick child.
(c) His struggle is now over and he is at peace.
(d) Nathan will no longer blame her for their son's condition.
7. Where is Nathan when he dies?
(a) On an oxen cart.
(b) In his village.
(c) In the temple.
(d) On the side of the road.
8. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
(a) Old Granny.
9. On a good day working at their job in the city, how much money can Nathan and Rukmani earn in a single day?
(a) Two rupees.
(b) Four annas.
(c) Seven annas.
(d) One rupee.
10. While trying to raise money for the rent, how much money does Rukmani sell her clothing for?
(a) 145 rupees.
(b) 75 rupees.
(c) 10 rupees.
(d) 30 rupees.
11. In order to pay their rent, what is Rukmani forced to sell?
(a) Ira's new dowry.
(b) Her red sari.
(c) Her mother's ring.
(d) Her new dress.
12. How many annas do Nathan and Rukmani earn from the overseer where they are working in the city?
13. Upon her return to Nathan's village, where will Rukmani live?
(a) She will live with Kunthi.
(b) She will live by herself.
(c) She will live with Selvam and Ira.
(d) She will live on their old land.
14. When the bullock drops Rukmani and Nathan off in the city, how far are they from Koil Road?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Fifteen miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) One mile.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
(a) The harvest is enough to pay their rent, but with nothing left over.
(b) The harvest is more than enough to pay what they owe.
(c) The harvest is mostly destroyed by another monsoon.
(d) The harvest is meager.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the conversation with Biswas in the village, what does Rukmani buy for Kenny?
2. Why does Kunthi come Rukmani's house during the drought?
3. In spite of the circumstances surrounding the birth of Ira's son, what ceremony does Nathan hold ten days after the child's birth?
4. Which of Rukmani's sons marries of his own accord?
5. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)