|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon her return to Nathan's village, where will Rukmani live?
(a) She will live with Kunthi.
(b) She will live by herself.
(c) She will live with Selvam and Ira.
(d) She will live on their old land.
2. Chapter 18 opens with Rukmani going into town to sell some of her vegetables. Who does she now refuse to sell to?
(a) Old Granny.
3. When Rukmani goes to Kenny's house to visit with him in Chapter 18, what news does Rukmani learn?
(a) He will be staying in the village for good.
(b) He will no longer be practicing medicine.
(c) He is a grandfather.
(d) His wife has left him.
4. How many annas do Nathan and Rukmani earn from the overseer where they are working in the city?
5. In celebration of almost having enough money to return to the village, what does Rukmani buy in the city for both Puli and for her grandson?
(a) Dum-dum carts.
(b) New blocks.
(c) Fried potatoes.
(d) New shirts.
6. What does Rukmani tell her family regarding Nathan's death?
(a) His death was a gentle passing.
(b) She could not save him.
(c) He was alone when he died.
(d) He died cold and wet.
7. Where is Old Granny's body found?
(a) In her home.
(b) In the rice paddy.
(c) In the street.
(d) In the temple.
8. Shortly after Sacrabani's birth, something happens to Nathan for the first time. What is it?
(a) Nathan works at the tannery.
(b) Nathan quits farming.
(c) Nathan falls ill.
(d) Nathan leaves Rukmani.
9. One night, Rukmani awakens to hear footsteps in her house. Who does Rukmani fear is in her house?
10. When Rukmani and Puli return to the temple after their shopping extravaganza, what does Rukmani realize?
(a) They have more money saved than she thought.
(b) Puli is stealing from them.
(c) The temple is no longer safe.
(d) Nathan is ill with a fever.
11. When Rukmani goes to the river to wash Ira's garment, what does she find in the garment's folds?
(a) A bundle of rice.
(b) A writing tablet.
(c) A rupee.
(d) A coconut frond.
12. What is the name of Murugan's wife?
13. Who do Nathan and Rukmani meet at the Collector's house?
(a) Kenny's former wife.
(b) Their son's wife.
(c) The tannery's overseer.
(d) The Collector himself.
14. When Rukmani and Nathan have almost earned enough money to return home, what does Rukmani buy from the vendor in celebration?
(b) Sugar whirls.
(c) Extra rice.
(d) Fried pancakes.
15. What does Rukmani talk Nathan out of selling?
(a) Their bullocks.
(b) Their wedding clothes.
(c) The next season's seed.
(d) Their pots and pans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
2. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
3. Which of Rukmani's sons is killed at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. During the same visit with Kenny at his house, what news does Rukmani share with Kenny?
5. According to Kenny's plan, how long should it take to build the hospital?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)