|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
(a) They stage a sit-in.
(b) They work for free.
(c) They burn the tannery.
(d) They strike.
2. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
(a) Seventy kilometers.
(b) One hundred miles.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three days.
3. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
(a) Kunthi is quite ill.
(b) Kunthi is near the end of her pregnancy and unable to do anything for herself.
(c) Kunthi is lame and cannot walk.
(d) Kunthi refuses to care for her children.
4. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
(b) They waste it gambling.
(c) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(d) They spend it in the local tavern.
5. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
6. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan lives in the same town.
(b) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
(c) Nathan requires no dowry.
(d) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
7. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
(a) When Nathan needs to visit the doctor.
(b) When Nathan has business to conduct.
(c) When Rukmani asks him to come with her.
(d) When there is no work to do on the farm.
8. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She understands, but refuses to listen.
(b) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(c) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(d) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
9. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
10. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Two months.
11. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are held in high regard in the village.
(b) They have enough to eat.
(c) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(d) They are building a bigger house.
12. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
13. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They lose their jobs.
(b) They are promoted.
(c) They receive higher wages.
(d) They receive longer breaks.
14. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
(a) She calls him "Husband."
(b) She calls him "Nathan."
(c) She calls him "Sir."
(d) She calls him "Master."
15. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
(a) An orange.
(b) A kiwi.
(c) A pumpkin.
(d) A mango.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
2. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
3. What is the village doctor's name?
4. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
5. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)