|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(b) They are building a bigger house.
(c) They have enough to eat.
(d) They are held in high regard in the village.
2. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) The stores and shops are all closed.
(b) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(c) There is no rice in the land.
(d) They don't bring enough money with them.
3. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
(a) The new business will create jobs to combat the high unemployment rate.
(b) Ira will have many options when choosing a husband.
(c) The increased traffic in the village will lead to road improvements.
(d) She can build Ira's dowry much quicker.
4. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
(a) Kunthi misses her family.
(b) Kunthi is ashamed of her husband.
(c) Kunthi married beneath her.
(d) Kunthi doesn't approve of the other women.
5. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Twelve weeks.
6. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
(a) Biswas pays more for her vegetables.
(b) Old Granny complains about the quality of the vegetables.
(c) Old Granny doesn't buy enough to be a stable income source.
(d) Biswas's family is starving.
7. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
(a) Fifty rupees.
(b) One thousand rupees.
(c) One hundred rupees.
(d) Three hundred rupees.
8. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
(a) The midwife never shows up.
(b) Rukmani is the woman's best friend.
(c) Rukmani is asked to stay.
(d) Rukmani is preparing a celebratory feast.
9. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
(a) She kills it.
(b) She writes about it.
(c) She touches it.
(d) She feeds it.
10. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(b) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(c) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
(d) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
11. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is very old.
(b) He is very young.
(c) He is from a rival village.
(d) He is a foreigner.
12. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
13. Who is the moneylender?
14. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a straw lean-to.
(b) It is a two-room, mud hut.
(c) It is a two-room, brick house.
(d) It is a four-bedroom house.
15. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
(a) They are the mediators.
(b) They are the workers' spokesmen.
(c) They are the officials' spokesmen.
(d) They are just workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nathan do ten days after the birth of his son?
2. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
3. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
4. What is the village doctor's name?
5. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)