|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) They spend it in the local tavern.
(b) They waste it gambling.
(c) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(d) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
2. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Good fortune and many children.
(b) Happiness and good fortune.
(c) Long life and happiness.
(d) Wealth and long life.
3. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
(a) When Nathan needs to visit the doctor.
(b) When there is no work to do on the farm.
(c) When Nathan has business to conduct.
(d) When Rukmani asks him to come with her.
4. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(b) Old Granny.
5. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is bald.
(c) She is ugly.
(d) She has one arm.
6. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(b) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
(c) They are men now and have made their decision.
(d) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
7. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
(a) Kali belives that killed cobras are reincarnated as evil people.
(b) Cobras are territorial and now many more will come to the garden.
(c) Kali believes that cobras are sacred.
(d) Cobras are good luck.
8. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Ten months.
(c) Twelve weeks.
(d) Three years.
9. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a straw lean-to.
(b) It is a two-room, brick house.
(c) It is a four-bedroom house.
(d) It is a two-room, mud hut.
10. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(b) Working in the fields.
(d) Carrying water.
11. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
12. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
(a) Requests food and drink for his men.
(b) Invites them to work.
(c) Tells the villagers to go home.
(d) Thanks the villagers for being so welcoming.
13. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
14. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They have enough to eat.
(b) They are held in high regard in the village.
(c) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(d) They are building a bigger house.
15. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
(a) She lost a child before their son was born.
(b) She is seeing Kenny romantically.
(c) She is seeing Kenny for fertility treatments.
(d) She is working in the village to earn extra money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
2. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
3. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
4. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
5. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)