|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
2. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(d) Old Granny.
3. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
4. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
(a) Rice leaves.
(b) Bamboo shoots.
(c) Dried wheat shafts.
(d) Coconut fronds.
5. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
(a) For depression.
(b) For a high fever.
(c) For fertility treatments.
(d) For allergic reactions.
6. Which of Rukmani's children is the most stubborn?
7. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
(a) Old Granny complains about the quality of the vegetables.
(b) Biswas's family is starving.
(c) Biswas pays more for her vegetables.
(d) Old Granny doesn't buy enough to be a stable income source.
8. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) One year.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Five weeks.
9. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) They spend it in the local tavern.
(b) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(c) They waste it gambling.
(d) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
10. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
(a) Kali belives that killed cobras are reincarnated as evil people.
(b) Cobras are good luck.
(c) Cobras are territorial and now many more will come to the garden.
(d) Kali believes that cobras are sacred.
11. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
12. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Wealth and long life.
(b) Happiness and good fortune.
(c) Long life and happiness.
(d) Good fortune and many children.
13. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
(a) The new business will create jobs to combat the high unemployment rate.
(b) Ira will have many options when choosing a husband.
(c) She can build Ira's dowry much quicker.
(d) The increased traffic in the village will lead to road improvements.
14. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
15. What is Deepavali?
(a) The anniversary of the tannery's opening.
(b) The celebration of the village's settlement.
(c) The temple's most holy day.
(d) The Festival of Lights.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
2. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
3. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
4. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
5. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)