|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
2. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
(b) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(c) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
(d) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
3. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He returns to her parents' home.
(c) He yells at her.
(d) He soothes her.
4. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
(a) Kunthi doesn't approve of the other women.
(b) Kunthi is ashamed of her husband.
(c) Kunthi misses her family.
(d) Kunthi married beneath her.
5. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
(a) For allergic reactions.
(b) For depression.
(c) For a high fever.
(d) For fertility treatments.
6. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
7. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(b) Old Granny.
8. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
(a) A red flower lei.
(b) A strand of mango leaves.
(c) Rukmani's red sari.
(d) Rukmani's purple sari.
9. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
(a) Kunthi is quite ill.
(b) Kunthi refuses to care for her children.
(c) Kunthi is lame and cannot walk.
(d) Kunthi is near the end of her pregnancy and unable to do anything for herself.
10. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) A scared little girl.
(b) A village girl.
(c) An ignorant woman.
(d) A backward child.
11. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) One year.
(b) Two months.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
12. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) They don't bring enough money with them.
(b) The stores and shops are all closed.
(c) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(d) There is no rice in the land.
13. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
(a) She teaches the neighborhood children.
(b) She writes.
(c) She goes for long walks.
(d) She visits with Kunthi.
14. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
(a) Stealing from the white men.
(b) Having an affair with Kennington.
(c) Flirting with Kunthi's husband.
(d) Not being a proper wife.
15. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
(a) Ira is too strong-willed.
(b) Ira is too learned.
(c) Ira is not a good enough housekeeper.
(d) Ira is barren.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
2. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
3. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
4. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
5. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)