|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
(a) She calls him "Nathan."
(b) She calls him "Sir."
(c) She calls him "Husband."
(d) She calls him "Master."
2. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(c) Carrying water.
(d) Working in the fields.
3. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
(a) A strand of mango leaves.
(b) Rukmani's red sari.
(c) Rukmani's purple sari.
(d) A red flower lei.
4. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They are promoted.
(b) They receive higher wages.
(c) They receive longer breaks.
(d) They lose their jobs.
5. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
6. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
7. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
(a) Janaki's two eldest sons.
(b) Kunthi's two eldest sons.
(c) Kali's two eldest sons.
(d) Rukmani's two eldest sons.
8. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(a) Old Granny.
9. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her teacher.
10. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is very old.
(b) He is from a rival village.
(c) He is a foreigner.
(d) He is very young.
11. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
(a) She is seeing Kenny for fertility treatments.
(b) She is seeing Kenny romantically.
(c) She is working in the village to earn extra money.
(d) She lost a child before their son was born.
12. What is Deepavali?
(a) The celebration of the village's settlement.
(b) The Festival of Lights.
(c) The anniversary of the tannery's opening.
(d) The temple's most holy day.
13. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
(a) A tannery.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) An inn.
(d) A temple.
14. What is the village doctor's name?
15. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
2. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
3. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
4. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
5. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)