|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
(a) He is a servant.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a tannery official.
(d) He is a brick layer.
2. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(d) Old Granny.
3. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
(a) One day.
(b) Fifteen hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) Four hours.
4. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(b) They don't bring enough money with them.
(c) The stores and shops are all closed.
(d) There is no rice in the land.
5. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) A backward child.
(b) A scared little girl.
(c) A village girl.
(d) An ignorant woman.
6. What does Rukmani set aside at the end of every month?
(a) Some new writings to sell when money gets tight.
(b) Some money for Ira's dowry.
(c) Some rice to sell in the village.
(d) Some thread for Ira's wedding sari.
7. Why does Kali warn Rukmani to not let her daughter start walking so early?
(a) Her balance won't properly develop.
(b) She will get into far too much trouble.
(c) Her legs will bend in.
(d) Her arms won't properly develop.
8. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
(a) Kunthi is quite ill.
(b) Kunthi refuses to care for her children.
(c) Kunthi is near the end of her pregnancy and unable to do anything for herself.
(d) Kunthi is lame and cannot walk.
9. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
10. In what month is Ira married?
11. How long does Ira's marriage last?
(a) Three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Ten years.
12. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
(a) Rukmani's two eldest sons.
(b) Kunthi's two eldest sons.
(c) Janaki's two eldest sons.
(d) Kali's two eldest sons.
13. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
(a) She writes about it.
(b) She feeds it.
(c) She kills it.
(d) She touches it.
14. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
15. Who is the moneylender?
Short Answer Questions
1. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
2. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
3. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
4. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
5. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)