|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
(a) Thanks the villagers for being so welcoming.
(b) Invites them to work.
(c) Tells the villagers to go home.
(d) Requests food and drink for his men.
2. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
3. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
4. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
5. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
6. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
7. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
(b) The men spent their money lavishly.
(c) The village is once again too quiet.
(d) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
8. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
(b) Dear one.
9. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
10. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They are men now and have made their decision.
(b) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(c) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(d) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
11. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
12. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
(a) Kunthi's child.
(b) Janaki's child.
(c) Kali's child.
(d) Biswas's child.
13. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
(a) The inn.
(b) The tannery.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The tavern.
14. In what month is Ira married?
15. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
(a) He is a servant.
(b) He is a brick layer.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a tannery official.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
2. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
3. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
4. Who is the moneylender?
5. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)