|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
(a) When there is no work to do on the farm.
(b) When Nathan has business to conduct.
(c) When Rukmani asks him to come with her.
(d) When Nathan needs to visit the doctor.
2. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
(b) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(c) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(d) She understands, but refuses to listen.
3. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
(a) They spend their time in the local tavern.
(b) They travel to the nearby village to see their friends.
(c) They help their mother with household chores.
(d) They work with Nathan in the fields.
4. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
5. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) One week.
6. What is the village doctor's name?
7. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) One year.
8. What does Rukmani set aside at the end of every month?
(a) Some rice to sell in the village.
(b) Some thread for Ira's wedding sari.
(c) Some new writings to sell when money gets tight.
(d) Some money for Ira's dowry.
9. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
(a) Old Granny doesn't buy enough to be a stable income source.
(b) Biswas pays more for her vegetables.
(c) Old Granny complains about the quality of the vegetables.
(d) Biswas's family is starving.
10. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
11. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
(a) In her home.
(b) In the village.
(c) In the fields.
(d) At the brook.
12. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
(a) His family needs him.
(b) The other villages require his services as well.
(c) He works for the government.
(d) He cannot stand the poverty.
13. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Ira's upcoming wedding.
(b) Seeing her new grandchildren.
(c) Nathan being with her.
(d) Moving back to the city.
14. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The village is once again too quiet.
(b) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
(c) The men spent their money lavishly.
(d) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
15. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
(a) Fresh soil.
(c) Leaves for the roof repairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
2. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
3. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
4. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
5. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)