|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A rat.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A spider.
(d) A cobra.
2. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
(a) A kiwi.
(b) A pumpkin.
(c) A mango.
(d) An orange.
3. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
(a) In the fields.
(b) In her home.
(c) In the village.
(d) At the brook.
4. Who is the moneylender?
5. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is from a rival village.
(b) He is very old.
(c) He is a foreigner.
(d) He is very young.
6. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(b) Working in the fields.
(d) Carrying water.
7. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
(a) Kunthi doesn't approve of the other women.
(b) Kunthi misses her family.
(c) Kunthi married beneath her.
(d) Kunthi is ashamed of her husband.
8. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan lives in the same town.
(b) Nathan requires no dowry.
(c) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
(d) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
9. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
(a) Cobras are good luck.
(b) Cobras are territorial and now many more will come to the garden.
(c) Kali belives that killed cobras are reincarnated as evil people.
(d) Kali believes that cobras are sacred.
10. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
(a) Janaki's two eldest sons.
(b) Kali's two eldest sons.
(c) Kunthi's two eldest sons.
(d) Rukmani's two eldest sons.
11. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
(a) Kunthi is near the end of her pregnancy and unable to do anything for herself.
(b) Kunthi is quite ill.
(c) Kunthi is lame and cannot walk.
(d) Kunthi refuses to care for her children.
12. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
(a) For a high fever.
(b) For allergic reactions.
(c) For depression.
(d) For fertility treatments.
13. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) Two months.
(b) One year.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
14. Why do Janaki and her husband leave the village?
(a) They are going to care for Janaki's ill father.
(b) Her husband's shop is forced to close.
(c) Her husband is opening a new shop in a neighboring village.
(d) They are evicted by their landlord.
15. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(b) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(c) They are men now and have made their decision.
(d) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
2. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
3. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
4. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
5. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)