|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is ugly.
(c) She has one arm.
(d) She is bald.
2. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
(a) Ira is not a good enough housekeeper.
(b) Ira is barren.
(c) Ira is too strong-willed.
(d) Ira is too learned.
3. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
(b) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(c) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
(d) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
4. In what month is Ira married?
5. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A cobra.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A rat.
(d) A spider.
6. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
(a) Fresh soil.
(b) Leaves for the roof repairs.
7. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
8. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
(a) Kali's hut.
(b) Kenny's hut.
(c) Kunthi's hut.
(d) Rukmani's hut.
9. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Moving back to the city.
(b) Ira's upcoming wedding.
(c) Seeing her new grandchildren.
(d) Nathan being with her.
10. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
(a) Ten months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three years.
(d) Twelve weeks.
11. What is the village doctor's name?
12. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) A village girl.
(b) A scared little girl.
(c) An ignorant woman.
(d) A backward child.
13. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
(a) Kunthi is ashamed of her husband.
(b) Kunthi doesn't approve of the other women.
(c) Kunthi misses her family.
(d) Kunthi married beneath her.
14. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
(a) A temple.
(b) An inn.
(c) A tannery.
(d) A graveyard.
15. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He yells at her.
(b) He returns to her parents' home.
(c) He soothes her.
(d) He ignores her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
2. Why do Janaki and her husband leave the village?
3. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
4. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
5. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)