|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Janaki and her husband leave the village?
(a) They are evicted by their landlord.
(b) They are going to care for Janaki's ill father.
(c) Her husband is opening a new shop in a neighboring village.
(d) Her husband's shop is forced to close.
2. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
(a) He feels like he failed her.
(b) She is still barren.
(c) He has taken a new wife.
(d) He no longer loves her.
3. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
(a) Kunthi doesn't approve of the other women.
(b) Kunthi is ashamed of her husband.
(c) Kunthi married beneath her.
(d) Kunthi misses her family.
4. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
(a) Having an affair with Kennington.
(b) Flirting with Kunthi's husband.
(c) Not being a proper wife.
(d) Stealing from the white men.
5. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
(b) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(c) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
(d) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
6. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
7. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
(d) Dear one.
8. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(b) They are building a bigger house.
(c) They are held in high regard in the village.
(d) They have enough to eat.
9. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
(b) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
(c) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(d) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
(a) He is going to the city to buy new rice seed.
(b) He is going to attend a relative's funeral.
(c) He is searching for a new husband for Ira.
(d) He is searching for Arjun.
11. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(b) They spend it in the local tavern.
(c) They waste it gambling.
(d) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
12. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
(b) Nathan lives in the same town.
(c) Nathan requires no dowry.
(d) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
13. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) An ignorant woman.
(b) A backward child.
(c) A scared little girl.
(d) A village girl.
14. How does Old Granny make her living?
(a) Harvesting wheat.
(c) Selling peanuts.
(d) Selling goat's milk.
15. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
2. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
3. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
4. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
5. Which of Rukmani's children is the most stubborn?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)