|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(c) Working in the fields.
(d) Carrying water.
2. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
(a) One hundred miles.
(b) Seventy kilometers.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three days.
3. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
(a) She is seeing Kenny for fertility treatments.
(b) She is seeing Kenny romantically.
(c) She lost a child before their son was born.
(d) She is working in the village to earn extra money.
4. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
(a) They work for free.
(b) They stage a sit-in.
(c) They burn the tannery.
(d) They strike.
5. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) An ignorant woman.
(b) A scared little girl.
(c) A backward child.
(d) A village girl.
6. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
7. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
(a) She calls him "Husband."
(b) She calls him "Nathan."
(c) She calls him "Master."
(d) She calls him "Sir."
8. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
(a) In the masonry building.
(b) In the village market.
(c) In the tea plantation.
(d) In the tannery's new building.
9. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
(a) An orange.
(b) A kiwi.
(c) A mango.
(d) A pumpkin.
10. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
(a) They are the officials' spokesmen.
(b) They are the mediators.
(c) They are the workers' spokesmen.
(d) They are just workers.
11. How long does Ira's marriage last?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
12. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
(b) The men spent their money lavishly.
(c) The village is once again too quiet.
(d) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
13. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
(a) Ira is not a good enough housekeeper.
(b) Ira is too strong-willed.
(c) Ira is barren.
(d) Ira is too learned.
14. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They receive higher wages.
(b) They are promoted.
(c) They lose their jobs.
(d) They receive longer breaks.
15. Who is the moneylender?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
2. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
3. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
4. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
5. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)