|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
(c) Leaves for the roof repairs.
(d) Fresh soil.
2. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
(a) In the tannery's new building.
(b) In the masonry building.
(c) In the village market.
(d) In the tea plantation.
3. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan requires no dowry.
(b) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
(c) Nathan lives in the same town.
(d) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
4. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) They spend it in the local tavern.
(b) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(c) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
(d) They waste it gambling.
5. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(b) They are building a bigger house.
(c) They have enough to eat.
(d) They are held in high regard in the village.
6. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
7. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
(a) He is a tannery official.
(b) He is a brick layer.
(c) He is a servant.
(d) He is a farmer.
8. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
(a) One day.
(b) Fifteen hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two days.
9. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
(a) In the fields.
(b) In her home.
(c) At the brook.
(d) In the village.
10. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
(b) They are men now and have made their decision.
(c) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(d) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
11. What is the village doctor's name?
12. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Seeing her new grandchildren.
(b) Nathan being with her.
(c) Moving back to the city.
(d) Ira's upcoming wedding.
13. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) A backward child.
(b) A village girl.
(c) An ignorant woman.
(d) A scared little girl.
14. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
15. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
Short Answer Questions
1. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
2. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
3. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
4. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
5. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)