|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
(a) Rukmani's red sari.
(b) A strand of mango leaves.
(c) A red flower lei.
(d) Rukmani's purple sari.
2. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
(a) Kenny's hut.
(b) Kali's hut.
(c) Rukmani's hut.
(d) Kunthi's hut.
3. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(b) They spend it in the local tavern.
(c) They waste it gambling.
(d) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
4. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is a foreigner.
(b) He is from a rival village.
(c) He is very young.
(d) He is very old.
5. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a straw lean-to.
(b) It is a four-bedroom house.
(c) It is a two-room, brick house.
(d) It is a two-room, mud hut.
6. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
(a) He is going to the city to buy new rice seed.
(b) He is going to attend a relative's funeral.
(c) He is searching for a new husband for Ira.
(d) He is searching for Arjun.
8. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
(a) One day.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Fifteen hours.
(d) Two days.
9. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
(a) That her mother's death could have been prevented.
(b) That her marriage is in trouble.
(c) That she has no sons.
(d) That she has been ill.
10. Who is the moneylender?
11. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her brother.
12. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A cobra.
(c) A spider.
(d) A rat.
13. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(b) Carrying water.
(c) Working in the fields.
14. Why do Janaki and her husband leave the village?
(a) Her husband's shop is forced to close.
(b) They are evicted by their landlord.
(c) Her husband is opening a new shop in a neighboring village.
(d) They are going to care for Janaki's ill father.
15. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(b) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
(c) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(d) She understands, but refuses to listen.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
2. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
3. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
4. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
5. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)