|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They receive higher wages.
(b) They are promoted.
(c) They receive longer breaks.
(d) They lose their jobs.
2. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
(a) Having an affair with Kennington.
(b) Not being a proper wife.
(c) Stealing from the white men.
(d) Flirting with Kunthi's husband.
3. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He yells at her.
(b) He returns to her parents' home.
(c) He soothes her.
(d) He ignores her.
4. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
(a) Janaki's child.
(b) Kunthi's child.
(c) Kali's child.
(d) Biswas's child.
5. How many nights does the monsoon last?
6. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
(a) Complain about Rukmani's living conditions.
(b) Visit with the neighbors.
(c) Visit the temple to pray.
(d) Laugh about Rukmani's earlier exploits.
7. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her husband.
8. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
9. What is Deepavali?
(a) The Festival of Lights.
(b) The celebration of the village's settlement.
(c) The anniversary of the tannery's opening.
(d) The temple's most holy day.
10. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) There is no rice in the land.
(b) The stores and shops are all closed.
(c) They don't bring enough money with them.
(d) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
11. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
12. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
(a) He is going to attend a relative's funeral.
(b) He is searching for a new husband for Ira.
(c) He is searching for Arjun.
(d) He is going to the city to buy new rice seed.
13. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
14. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
15. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does Kenny do for the first time?
2. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
3. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
4. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
5. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)