|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Moving back to the city.
(b) Nathan being with her.
(c) Seeing her new grandchildren.
(d) Ira's upcoming wedding.
2. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
3. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
(a) That they will marry without her blessing.
(b) The perils they will face on their journey.
(c) Never seeing her sons again.
(d) The working conditions they will see.
4. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(b) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
(c) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(d) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
5. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her husband.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does Kenny do for the first time?
(a) He hires Nathan as an assistant.
(b) He delivers a baby by Caesarean section.
(c) He builds a house in the village.
(d) He visits Rukmani's home.
7. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
(b) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(c) They are men now and have made their decision.
(d) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
8. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
(a) For allergic reactions.
(b) For depression.
(c) For a high fever.
(d) For fertility treatments.
9. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
10. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
(a) Laugh about Rukmani's earlier exploits.
(b) Visit the temple to pray.
(c) Complain about Rukmani's living conditions.
(d) Visit with the neighbors.
11. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
(a) Dried wheat shafts.
(b) Bamboo shoots.
(c) Coconut fronds.
(d) Rice leaves.
12. In what month is Ira married?
13. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They receive higher wages.
(b) They receive longer breaks.
(c) They lose their jobs.
(d) They are promoted.
14. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
(a) She calls him "Sir."
(b) She calls him "Nathan."
(c) She calls him "Husband."
(d) She calls him "Master."
15. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
Short Answer Questions
1. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
2. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
3. What is Deepavali?
4. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
5. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)