|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
(a) She feeds it.
(b) She writes about it.
(c) She touches it.
(d) She kills it.
2. What is the village doctor's name?
3. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is very old.
(b) He is very young.
(c) He is a foreigner.
(d) He is from a rival village.
4. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
5. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
(a) He is leaving the village.
(b) Hundreds of strange men have come into the village.
(c) His brother has been killed.
(d) He is getting married.
7. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
8. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(b) She understands, but refuses to listen.
(c) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(d) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
9. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The village is once again too quiet.
(b) The men spent their money lavishly.
(c) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
(d) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
10. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
(a) In the village market.
(b) In the tea plantation.
(c) In the tannery's new building.
(d) In the masonry building.
11. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
(a) One hundred rupees.
(b) Three hundred rupees.
(c) One thousand rupees.
(d) Fifty rupees.
12. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
13. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
(a) A mango.
(b) A pumpkin.
(c) An orange.
(d) A kiwi.
14. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
15. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a two-room, brick house.
(b) It is a straw lean-to.
(c) It is a four-bedroom house.
(d) It is a two-room, mud hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
2. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
3. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
4. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
5. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)