|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
2. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) There is no rice in the land.
(b) They don't bring enough money with them.
(c) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(d) The stores and shops are all closed.
3. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
(b) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
(c) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(d) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
4. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
5. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a four-bedroom house.
(b) It is a straw lean-to.
(c) It is a two-room, brick house.
(d) It is a two-room, mud hut.
6. How does Old Granny make her living?
(b) Selling goat's milk.
(c) Harvesting wheat.
(d) Selling peanuts.
7. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
8. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
9. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(a) Working in the fields.
(c) Carrying water.
10. In what month is Ira married?
11. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
(b) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(c) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
(d) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
12. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
13. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The men spent their money lavishly.
(b) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
(c) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
(d) The village is once again too quiet.
14. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
(a) Three days.
(b) One week.
(c) Fifteen days.
(d) Three weeks.
15. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
(a) She is bald.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) She is ugly.
(d) She has one arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
2. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
3. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
4. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
5. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)