|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
(a) One thousand rupees.
(b) Fifty rupees.
(c) One hundred rupees.
(d) Three hundred rupees.
2. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is very young.
(b) He is a foreigner.
(c) He is from a rival village.
(d) He is very old.
3. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
4. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
5. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(b) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(c) She understands, but refuses to listen.
(d) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
6. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(a) Old Granny.
7. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
(a) Cobras are territorial and now many more will come to the garden.
(b) Cobras are good luck.
(c) Kali belives that killed cobras are reincarnated as evil people.
(d) Kali believes that cobras are sacred.
8. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
(a) Fifteen hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) One day.
(d) Two days.
9. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He yells at her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He soothes her.
(d) He returns to her parents' home.
10. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
(a) She writes about it.
(b) She touches it.
(c) She feeds it.
(d) She kills it.
11. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They lose their jobs.
(b) They receive higher wages.
(c) They receive longer breaks.
(d) They are promoted.
12. Which of Rukmani's children is the most stubborn?
13. How does Old Granny make her living?
(b) Selling peanuts.
(c) Selling goat's milk.
(d) Harvesting wheat.
14. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
15. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
(a) The tavern.
(b) The tannery.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
2. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
3. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
4. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
5. In what month is Ira married?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)