|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Ira's marriage last?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Two years.
2. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
(a) One week.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Fifteen days.
(d) Three days.
3. Why do Janaki and her husband leave the village?
(a) They are going to care for Janaki's ill father.
(b) They are evicted by their landlord.
(c) Her husband's shop is forced to close.
(d) Her husband is opening a new shop in a neighboring village.
4. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
(a) She lost a child before their son was born.
(b) She is seeing Kenny for fertility treatments.
(c) She is seeing Kenny romantically.
(d) She is working in the village to earn extra money.
5. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
6. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
(a) They are just workers.
(b) They are the officials' spokesmen.
(c) They are the mediators.
(d) They are the workers' spokesmen.
7. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
8. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
9. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
(a) Rukmani's two eldest sons.
(b) Janaki's two eldest sons.
(c) Kunthi's two eldest sons.
(d) Kali's two eldest sons.
10. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
(a) Kenny's hut.
(b) Kali's hut.
(c) Kunthi's hut.
(d) Rukmani's hut.
11. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
(a) A tannery.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) An inn.
(d) A temple.
12. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
(a) He works for the government.
(b) He cannot stand the poverty.
(c) His family needs him.
(d) The other villages require his services as well.
13. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
(a) Rukmani is asked to stay.
(b) Rukmani is preparing a celebratory feast.
(c) The midwife never shows up.
(d) Rukmani is the woman's best friend.
14. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
(a) An orange.
(b) A kiwi.
(c) A pumpkin.
(d) A mango.
15. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A rat.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A spider.
(d) A cobra.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the moneylender?
2. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
3. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
5. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)