|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
(b) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(c) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
(d) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
2. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
(a) She goes for long walks.
(b) She teaches the neighborhood children.
(c) She writes.
(d) She visits with Kunthi.
3. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
4. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
(a) He cannot stand the poverty.
(b) His family needs him.
(c) The other villages require his services as well.
(d) He works for the government.
5. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
(a) Kunthi is ashamed of her husband.
(b) Kunthi misses her family.
(c) Kunthi married beneath her.
(d) Kunthi doesn't approve of the other women.
6. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
7. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her husband.
8. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
9. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) They spend it in the local tavern.
(b) They waste it gambling.
(c) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(d) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
10. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
(a) Biswas's child.
(b) Kunthi's child.
(c) Janaki's child.
(d) Kali's child.
11. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
(a) They work with Nathan in the fields.
(b) They help their mother with household chores.
(c) They spend their time in the local tavern.
(d) They travel to the nearby village to see their friends.
12. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) She has one arm.
(d) She is bald.
13. Who is the moneylender?
14. What is Deepavali?
(a) The Festival of Lights.
(b) The anniversary of the tannery's opening.
(c) The celebration of the village's settlement.
(d) The temple's most holy day.
15. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
(a) She is working in the village to earn extra money.
(b) She lost a child before their son was born.
(c) She is seeing Kenny romantically.
(d) She is seeing Kenny for fertility treatments.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
2. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
3. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
4. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
5. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)