|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(b) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
(c) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(d) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
2. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
(a) Not being a proper wife.
(b) Flirting with Kunthi's husband.
(c) Having an affair with Kennington.
(d) Stealing from the white men.
3. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
(b) Nathan lives in the same town.
(c) Nathan requires no dowry.
(d) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
4. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
5. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
(a) Three hundred rupees.
(b) Fifty rupees.
(c) One thousand rupees.
(d) One hundred rupees.
6. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
(a) She is seeing Kenny for fertility treatments.
(b) She lost a child before their son was born.
(c) She is seeing Kenny romantically.
(d) She is working in the village to earn extra money.
7. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
(a) Kunthi's hut.
(b) Rukmani's hut.
(c) Kali's hut.
(d) Kenny's hut.
8. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
9. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(b) They are men now and have made their decision.
(c) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(d) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
10. How many nights does the monsoon last?
11. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
(a) One hundred miles.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) Seventy kilometers.
12. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
(a) Rukmani's purple sari.
(b) A red flower lei.
(c) Rukmani's red sari.
(d) A strand of mango leaves.
13. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
(a) She is still barren.
(b) He has taken a new wife.
(c) He feels like he failed her.
(d) He no longer loves her.
14. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
(a) He is searching for a new husband for Ira.
(b) He is going to the city to buy new rice seed.
(c) He is going to attend a relative's funeral.
(d) He is searching for Arjun.
15. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rukmani set aside at the end of every month?
2. Who is the moneylender?
3. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
4. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
5. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)