|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
2. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
(a) One hundred rupees.
(b) Fifty rupees.
(c) Three hundred rupees.
(d) One thousand rupees.
3. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) The stores and shops are all closed.
(b) They don't bring enough money with them.
(c) There is no rice in the land.
(d) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
4. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
(a) In the village.
(b) In her home.
(c) In the fields.
(d) At the brook.
5. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her husband.
6. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
(b) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
(c) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
(d) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
7. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
8. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
(a) She lost a child before their son was born.
(b) She is seeing Kenny romantically.
(c) She is working in the village to earn extra money.
(d) She is seeing Kenny for fertility treatments.
9. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
(a) One hundred miles.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Seventy kilometers.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
(a) He is going to attend a relative's funeral.
(b) He is going to the city to buy new rice seed.
(c) He is searching for a new husband for Ira.
(d) He is searching for Arjun.
11. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
(a) An inn.
(b) A tannery.
(c) A temple.
(d) A graveyard.
12. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
(a) Rukmani is preparing a celebratory feast.
(b) Rukmani is the woman's best friend.
(c) Rukmani is asked to stay.
(d) The midwife never shows up.
13. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A rat.
(b) A spider.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A cobra.
14. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
15. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
(a) A strand of mango leaves.
(b) Rukmani's purple sari.
(c) A red flower lei.
(d) Rukmani's red sari.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
2. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
3. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
4. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
5. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)