|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the village doctor's name?
2. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a two-room, mud hut.
(b) It is a two-room, brick house.
(c) It is a four-bedroom house.
(d) It is a straw lean-to.
3. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
4. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
5. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
(b) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(c) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
(d) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
6. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) A backward child.
(b) An ignorant woman.
(c) A scared little girl.
(d) A village girl.
7. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
(a) Kunthi is ashamed of her husband.
(b) Kunthi married beneath her.
(c) Kunthi doesn't approve of the other women.
(d) Kunthi misses her family.
8. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) They don't bring enough money with them.
(b) The stores and shops are all closed.
(c) There is no rice in the land.
(d) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
9. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
(b) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
(c) The men spent their money lavishly.
(d) The village is once again too quiet.
10. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(b) They are building a bigger house.
(c) They are held in high regard in the village.
(d) They have enough to eat.
11. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
12. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
(b) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(c) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(d) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
13. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
14. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
(a) Kunthi's child.
(b) Janaki's child.
(c) Kali's child.
(d) Biswas's child.
15. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
(a) Kali believes that cobras are sacred.
(b) Cobras are territorial and now many more will come to the garden.
(c) Cobras are good luck.
(d) Kali belives that killed cobras are reincarnated as evil people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Rukmani's children is the most stubborn?
2. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
3. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
4. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
5. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)