|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(c) Old Granny.
2. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
(a) Old Granny doesn't buy enough to be a stable income source.
(b) Old Granny complains about the quality of the vegetables.
(c) Biswas pays more for her vegetables.
(d) Biswas's family is starving.
3. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
(a) To meet the other women.
(b) To work.
(c) To shop.
(d) To sell their rice.
4. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
(a) She is still barren.
(b) He feels like he failed her.
(c) He has taken a new wife.
(d) He no longer loves her.
5. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
(a) They travel to the nearby village to see their friends.
(b) They spend their time in the local tavern.
(c) They help their mother with household chores.
(d) They work with Nathan in the fields.
6. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her teacher.
7. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
8. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
(a) Rukmani's hut.
(b) Kenny's hut.
(c) Kali's hut.
(d) Kunthi's hut.
9. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
(a) He is leaving the village.
(b) He is getting married.
(c) His brother has been killed.
(d) Hundreds of strange men have come into the village.
11. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
(a) She visits with Kunthi.
(b) She writes.
(c) She goes for long walks.
(d) She teaches the neighborhood children.
12. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
(a) Stealing from the white men.
(b) Having an affair with Kennington.
(c) Flirting with Kunthi's husband.
(d) Not being a proper wife.
13. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
(a) Kali's two eldest sons.
(b) Rukmani's two eldest sons.
(c) Janaki's two eldest sons.
(d) Kunthi's two eldest sons.
14. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
(b) Dear one.
15. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
Short Answer Questions
1. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
2. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
3. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
4. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
5. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)