|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(b) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(c) She understands, but refuses to listen.
(d) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
2. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
(a) He is a servant.
(b) He is a brick layer.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a tannery official.
3. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her husband.
4. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a two-room, mud hut.
(b) It is a four-bedroom house.
(c) It is a straw lean-to.
(d) It is a two-room, brick house.
5. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
(a) The perils they will face on their journey.
(b) Never seeing her sons again.
(c) The working conditions they will see.
(d) That they will marry without her blessing.
6. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
7. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
(a) She calls him "Master."
(b) She calls him "Sir."
(c) She calls him "Nathan."
(d) She calls him "Husband."
8. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) She has one arm.
(c) She is bald.
(d) She is beautiful.
9. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
(a) For fertility treatments.
(b) For a high fever.
(c) For allergic reactions.
(d) For depression.
10. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
11. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
(b) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(c) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
(d) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does Kenny do for the first time?
(a) He delivers a baby by Caesarean section.
(b) He builds a house in the village.
(c) He hires Nathan as an assistant.
(d) He visits Rukmani's home.
13. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
(a) Dried wheat shafts.
(b) Bamboo shoots.
(c) Rice leaves.
(d) Coconut fronds.
14. In what month is Ira married?
15. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
2. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
3. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
4. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
5. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)