|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) There is no rice in the land.
(b) The stores and shops are all closed.
(c) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(d) They don't bring enough money with them.
2. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
(a) To meet the other women.
(b) To sell their rice.
(c) To work.
(d) To shop.
3. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
(a) When Rukmani asks him to come with her.
(b) When Nathan has business to conduct.
(c) When there is no work to do on the farm.
(d) When Nathan needs to visit the doctor.
4. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) A village girl.
(b) A backward child.
(c) An ignorant woman.
(d) A scared little girl.
5. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
(a) She kills it.
(b) She feeds it.
(c) She writes about it.
(d) She touches it.
6. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
7. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
(a) Fresh soil.
(c) Leaves for the roof repairs.
8. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) One week.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three weeks.
9. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
(a) A tannery.
(b) An inn.
(c) A temple.
(d) A graveyard.
10. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
(a) Kali's two eldest sons.
(b) Kunthi's two eldest sons.
(c) Rukmani's two eldest sons.
(d) Janaki's two eldest sons.
11. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
(a) Ira is barren.
(b) Ira is too learned.
(c) Ira is not a good enough housekeeper.
(d) Ira is too strong-willed.
12. How many nights does the monsoon last?
13. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
14. What does Rukmani set aside at the end of every month?
(a) Some rice to sell in the village.
(b) Some thread for Ira's wedding sari.
(c) Some money for Ira's dowry.
(d) Some new writings to sell when money gets tight.
15. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
2. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
3. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
4. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
5. What does Nathan do ten days after the birth of his son?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)