|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rukmani set aside at the end of every month?
(a) Some thread for Ira's wedding sari.
(b) Some money for Ira's dowry.
(c) Some rice to sell in the village.
(d) Some new writings to sell when money gets tight.
2. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
3. How does Old Granny make her living?
(a) Selling goat's milk.
(c) Selling peanuts.
(d) Harvesting wheat.
4. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
(a) Kunthi's two eldest sons.
(b) Rukmani's two eldest sons.
(c) Kali's two eldest sons.
(d) Janaki's two eldest sons.
5. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
(a) Tells the villagers to go home.
(b) Thanks the villagers for being so welcoming.
(c) Invites them to work.
(d) Requests food and drink for his men.
6. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
7. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
(a) An inn.
(b) A temple.
(c) A graveyard.
(d) A tannery.
8. Which of Rukmani's children is the most stubborn?
9. Rukmani is keeping a secret from her husband. What is her secret?
(a) She is seeing Kenny romantically.
(b) She lost a child before their son was born.
(c) She is seeing Kenny for fertility treatments.
(d) She is working in the village to earn extra money.
10. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(a) Old Granny.
11. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
(a) Kali believes that cobras are sacred.
(b) Kali belives that killed cobras are reincarnated as evil people.
(c) Cobras are good luck.
(d) Cobras are territorial and now many more will come to the garden.
12. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
(a) They spend their time in the local tavern.
(b) They travel to the nearby village to see their friends.
(c) They help their mother with household chores.
(d) They work with Nathan in the fields.
13. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
(a) They are the officials' spokesmen.
(b) They are the mediators.
(c) They are just workers.
(d) They are the workers' spokesmen.
14. Who is the moneylender?
15. What does Nathan do ten days after the birth of his son?
(a) Baptizes his son.
(b) Offers sacrifices to the fertility gods.
(c) Holds a celebratory feast.
(d) Has the child circumsized.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
2. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
3. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
4. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
5. Why do Janaki and her husband leave the village?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)