|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
(b) The men spent their money lavishly.
(c) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
(d) The village is once again too quiet.
2. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
(b) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
(c) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(d) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
3. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is a foreigner.
(b) He is very young.
(c) He is very old.
(d) He is from a rival village.
4. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
(a) The increased traffic in the village will lead to road improvements.
(b) Ira will have many options when choosing a husband.
(c) The new business will create jobs to combat the high unemployment rate.
(d) She can build Ira's dowry much quicker.
5. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
(a) The tavern.
(b) The inn.
(c) The tannery.
(d) The hospital.
6. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
7. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
(a) They stage a sit-in.
(b) They strike.
(c) They work for free.
(d) They burn the tannery.
8. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(b) Working in the fields.
(d) Carrying water.
9. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) One year.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
10. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
(a) Kenny's hut.
(b) Rukmani's hut.
(c) Kali's hut.
(d) Kunthi's hut.
11. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her husband.
12. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
(a) Thanks the villagers for being so welcoming.
(b) Requests food and drink for his men.
(c) Invites them to work.
(d) Tells the villagers to go home.
13. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) There is no rice in the land.
(b) The stores and shops are all closed.
(c) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(d) They don't bring enough money with them.
14. In what month is Ira married?
15. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
(a) Visit the temple to pray.
(b) Laugh about Rukmani's earlier exploits.
(c) Complain about Rukmani's living conditions.
(d) Visit with the neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Old Granny make her living?
2. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
3. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
4. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
5. What is the village doctor's name?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)