|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
(a) That they will marry without her blessing.
(b) The perils they will face on their journey.
(c) Never seeing her sons again.
(d) The working conditions they will see.
2. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
(a) The temple priest.
(b) The tribal chief.
(c) Rukmani's older sisters.
(d) The village doctor.
3. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(b) They waste it gambling.
(c) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
(d) They spend it in the local tavern.
4. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) There is no rice in the land.
(b) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(c) They don't bring enough money with them.
(d) The stores and shops are all closed.
5. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
(a) Ira is not a good enough housekeeper.
(b) Ira is too learned.
(c) Ira is barren.
(d) Ira is too strong-willed.
6. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
(a) One day.
(b) Fifteen hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two days.
7. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
8. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The men spent their money lavishly.
(b) The village is once again too quiet.
(c) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
(d) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
9. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
10. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
(a) Flirting with Kunthi's husband.
(b) Not being a proper wife.
(c) Stealing from the white men.
(d) Having an affair with Kennington.
11. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
12. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
13. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
(a) She writes.
(b) She visits with Kunthi.
(c) She teaches the neighborhood children.
(d) She goes for long walks.
14. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
(a) Coconut fronds.
(b) Bamboo shoots.
(c) Rice leaves.
(d) Dried wheat shafts.
15. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(c) Old Granny.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
2. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
3. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
4. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
5. What is Deepavali?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)