|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
(a) They are the mediators.
(b) They are just workers.
(c) They are the workers' spokesmen.
(d) They are the officials' spokesmen.
2. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
3. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
4. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
(a) Biswas pays more for her vegetables.
(b) Biswas's family is starving.
(c) Old Granny doesn't buy enough to be a stable income source.
(d) Old Granny complains about the quality of the vegetables.
5. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is very young.
(b) He is a foreigner.
(c) He is very old.
(d) He is from a rival village.
6. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
(a) Kali's two eldest sons.
(b) Janaki's two eldest sons.
(c) Rukmani's two eldest sons.
(d) Kunthi's two eldest sons.
7. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
(a) A kiwi.
(b) A mango.
(c) An orange.
(d) A pumpkin.
8. Why does Rukmani take Ira to see Kenny?
(a) For a high fever.
(b) For fertility treatments.
(c) For allergic reactions.
(d) For depression.
9. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are building a bigger house.
(b) They are held in high regard in the village.
(c) They have enough to eat.
(d) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
10. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
11. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(b) They spend it in the local tavern.
(c) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
(d) They waste it gambling.
12. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
13. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
14. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her husband.
15. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
(a) The other villages require his services as well.
(b) He works for the government.
(c) His family needs him.
(d) He cannot stand the poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
2. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
3. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
4. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
5. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)