|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A rat.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A spider.
(d) A cobra.
2. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) The stores and shops are all closed.
(b) They don't bring enough money with them.
(c) There is no rice in the land.
(d) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
3. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) An ignorant woman.
(b) A backward child.
(c) A scared little girl.
(d) A village girl.
4. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He returns to her parents' home.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He soothes her.
(d) He ignores her.
5. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
6. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
(c) Fresh soil.
(d) Leaves for the roof repairs.
7. What is Deepavali?
(a) The Festival of Lights.
(b) The anniversary of the tannery's opening.
(c) The celebration of the village's settlement.
(d) The temple's most holy day.
8. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
(a) They help their mother with household chores.
(b) They work with Nathan in the fields.
(c) They travel to the nearby village to see their friends.
(d) They spend their time in the local tavern.
9. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They lose their jobs.
(b) They receive longer breaks.
(c) They receive higher wages.
(d) They are promoted.
10. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a four-bedroom house.
(b) It is a straw lean-to.
(c) It is a two-room, mud hut.
(d) It is a two-room, brick house.
11. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
12. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
(a) The temple priest.
(b) Rukmani's older sisters.
(c) The tribal chief.
(d) The village doctor.
13. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three days.
(c) Fifteen days.
(d) One week.
14. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) She is bald.
(c) She has one arm.
(d) She is beautiful.
15. While the local shops struggle, one business flourishes. Which business is doing just fine?
(a) The tannery.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The tavern.
(d) The inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
2. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
3. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
4. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
5. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)