|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) The stores and shops are all closed.
(b) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(c) They don't bring enough money with them.
(d) There is no rice in the land.
2. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
(b) They waste it gambling.
(c) They spend it in the local tavern.
(d) The give their wages to Rukmani.
3. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
(a) Ira is too strong-willed.
(b) Ira is too learned.
(c) Ira is barren.
(d) Ira is not a good enough housekeeper.
4. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
5. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(b) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
(c) She understands, but refuses to listen.
(d) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
6. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is very young.
(b) He is from a rival village.
(c) He is very old.
(d) He is a foreigner.
7. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
8. How long does Ira's marriage last?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
9. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
(a) Twelve weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Three years.
10. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Good fortune and many children.
(b) Wealth and long life.
(c) Happiness and good fortune.
(d) Long life and happiness.
11. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan requires no dowry.
(b) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
(c) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
(d) Nathan lives in the same town.
12. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
13. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
(c) Dear one.
14. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
(a) She kills it.
(b) She feeds it.
(c) She writes about it.
(d) She touches it.
15. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
(a) Flirting with Kunthi's husband.
(b) Not being a proper wife.
(c) Stealing from the white men.
(d) Having an affair with Kennington.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
2. What is the village doctor's name?
3. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
4. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
5. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)