|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 24 and 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
(a) That Kenny and Rukmani have a secret relationship.
(b) That Nathan is having an affair with Kali.
(c) That Nathan is the father of Kunthi's two sons.
(d) That Ira is working as a prostitute.
2. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
(a) Ira is too strong-willed.
(b) Ira is barren.
(c) Ira is too learned.
(d) Ira is not a good enough housekeeper.
3. During the same visit with Kenny at his house, what news does Rukmani share with Kenny?
(a) Her family is starving.
(b) Ira is pregnant.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) Nathan has left her.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
(a) He is searching for Arjun.
(b) He is going to the city to buy new rice seed.
(c) He is going to attend a relative's funeral.
(d) He is searching for a new husband for Ira.
5. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They are men now and have made their decision.
(b) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(c) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(d) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
2. According to Kenny's plan, how long should it take to build the hospital?
3. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
4. Shortly after Sacrabani's birth, something happens to Nathan for the first time. What is it?
5. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)