|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 18, 19 and 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the drought continues, how much food is available for the family when Rukmani first measures it?
(a) 20 ollocks.
(b) 10 ollocks.
(c) 6 ollocks.
(d) 4 ollocks.
2. Why does Rukmani feel some relief when her son finally dies of starvation?
(a) Nathan will no longer blame her for their son's condition.
(b) His struggle is now over and he is at peace.
(c) Ira can now sleep in her brother's bed, instead of on the floor.
(d) She no longer has to care for the sick child.
3. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
(a) That she has no sons.
(b) That her mother's death could have been prevented.
(c) That her marriage is in trouble.
(d) That she has been ill.
4. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
(a) She is bald.
(b) She is ugly.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She has one arm.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
(a) The harvest is meager.
(b) The harvest is mostly destroyed by another monsoon.
(c) The harvest is more than enough to pay what they owe.
(d) The harvest is enough to pay their rent, but with nothing left over.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role do Rukmani's sons play in the tannery trouble?
2. How is Ira earning the money she is using to buy food for her brother?
3. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
4. Who is the moneylender?
5. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)