|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 18, 19 and 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
(a) There will not be enough to eat for the coming year.
(b) The large amounts of rain will ensure a great crop.
(c) The hut will not survive until monsoon season ends.
(d) The new crops were not planted before the rains came.
2. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
3. When Rukmani learns that her son has been killed, what does she also learn he has been accused of?
(a) Stealing a bullock.
(b) Stealing wages.
(c) Stealing a calf skin.
(d) Stealing rice.
4. After the conversation with Biswas in the village, what does Rukmani buy for Kenny?
(a) A garland.
(b) A new hat.
(c) A new shirt.
(d) A bundle of rice.
5. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
(a) When Nathan has business to conduct.
(b) When there is no work to do on the farm.
(c) When Rukmani asks him to come with her.
(d) When Nathan needs to visit the doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
2. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
3. Which of Rukmani's children is most in danger of dying from starvation?
4. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
5. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)