|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 18, 19 and 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(b) They spend it in the local tavern.
(c) They waste it gambling.
(d) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
2. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
(b) They teach other villagers to read and write.
(c) They go to work at the tannery.
(d) They sell some of their belongings.
3. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He soothes her.
(c) He returns to her parents' home.
(d) He yells at her.
4. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
5. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
(a) He is a tannery official.
(b) He is a brick layer.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
2. Why does Kenny not remain in the village for long periods of time?
3. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
4. How many nights does the monsoon last?
5. How long does Ira's marriage last?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)