|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 18, 19 and 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They go to work at the tannery.
(b) They sell some of their belongings.
(c) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
(d) They teach other villagers to read and write.
2. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
(a) Twelve weeks.
(b) Ten months.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two weeks.
3. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
(a) She visits with Kunthi.
(b) She writes.
(c) She teaches the neighborhood children.
(d) She goes for long walks.
4. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
5. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
(a) She works for Kenny.
(b) She draws upon her secret hoard.
(c) She turns to prostitution.
(d) She picks and cooks twigs and berries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
2. What is Deepavali?
3. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
4. Which of Rukmani's sons always has a book or two nearby and has learned to read and write to a far greater level that what his mother taught him?
5. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)