|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 18, 19 and 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kenny not help Rukmani when ask. him for food during the drought?
(a) He does not want to share his resources with her.
(b) He is not in the village.
(c) He is helping feed the tannery workers.
(d) He does not have enough food for himself.
2. Why does Ira's husband refuse to take her back?
(a) She is still barren.
(b) He no longer loves her.
(c) He feels like he failed her.
(d) He has taken a new wife.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Nathan and Rukmani harvest their crop. What kind of harvest do they have?
(a) The harvest is more than enough to pay what they owe.
(b) The harvest is meager.
(c) The harvest is enough to pay their rent, but with nothing left over.
(d) The harvest is mostly destroyed by another monsoon.
4. Why has Kenny returned to the village?
(a) To build a hospital.
(b) To marry Rukmani.
(c) To build a house for himself.
(d) To care for the tannery employees.
5. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
2. As the drought continues, how much food is available for the family when Rukmani first measures it?
3. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
4. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
5. Which of Rukmani's sons actually dies from starvation?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)