|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 18, 19 and 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rukmani goes to the river to wash Ira's garment, what does she find in the garment's folds?
(a) A writing tablet.
(b) A rupee.
(c) A coconut frond.
(d) A bundle of rice.
2. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) One year.
3. Ira's husband wants to divorce Ira. Why?
(a) Ira is too learned.
(b) Ira is too strong-willed.
(c) Ira is not a good enough housekeeper.
(d) Ira is barren.
4. During their conversation in the village, Biswas tells Rukmani a rumor he heard from Kunthi. What is the rumor?
(a) That Ira is working as a prostitute.
(b) That Kenny and Rukmani have a secret relationship.
(c) That Nathan is having an affair with Kali.
(d) That Nathan is the father of Kunthi's two sons.
5. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
(a) They stage a sit-in.
(b) They work for free.
(c) They burn the tannery.
(d) They strike.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
2. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
4. During the drought, Rukmani takes the food she has available and then divides their food into serving portions. How many days' worth of food do they have?
5. Why does Kunthi come Rukmani's house during the drought?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)