|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 8, 9, 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
(a) Kunthi is lame and cannot walk.
(b) Kunthi refuses to care for her children.
(c) Kunthi is quite ill.
(d) Kunthi is near the end of her pregnancy and unable to do anything for herself.
2. Whose hut is completely destroyed by the monsoon?
(a) Kenny's hut.
(b) Kunthi's hut.
(c) Rukmani's hut.
(d) Kali's hut.
3. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Wealth and long life.
(b) Happiness and good fortune.
(c) Long life and happiness.
(d) Good fortune and many children.
4. When the two women meet in the village late one night, what does Kunthi accuse Rukmani of?
(a) Having an affair with Kennington.
(b) Stealing from the white men.
(c) Flirting with Kunthi's husband.
(d) Not being a proper wife.
5. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
(a) Laugh about Rukmani's earlier exploits.
(b) Visit with the neighbors.
(c) Complain about Rukmani's living conditions.
(d) Visit the temple to pray.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the waters rise from the monsoon rains, what does Nathan admit to his family?
2. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
3. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
4. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
5. Who are among the first to work in the tannery?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)