|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 8, 9, 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A spider.
(c) A rat.
(d) A cobra.
2. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Ira's upcoming wedding.
(b) Seeing her new grandchildren.
(c) Nathan being with her.
(d) Moving back to the city.
3. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) The stores and shops are all closed.
(b) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(c) They don't bring enough money with them.
(d) There is no rice in the land.
4. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
(b) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
(c) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(d) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
5. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
(a) Biswas's family is starving.
(b) Biswas pays more for her vegetables.
(c) Old Granny doesn't buy enough to be a stable income source.
(d) Old Granny complains about the quality of the vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name do Rukmani and Nathan give to their son?
2. What does Rukmani set aside at the end of every month?
3. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
4. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
5. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)