|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 8, 9, 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Old Granny make her living?
(a) Selling peanuts.
(b) Harvesting wheat.
(d) Selling goat's milk.
2. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
(a) She feeds it.
(b) She kills it.
(c) She writes about it.
(d) She touches it.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) His brother has been killed.
(c) He is leaving the village.
(d) Hundreds of strange men have come into the village.
4. What is Deepavali?
(a) The celebration of the village's settlement.
(b) The temple's most holy day.
(c) The Festival of Lights.
(d) The anniversary of the tannery's opening.
5. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
(a) Biswas's family is starving.
(b) Old Granny doesn't buy enough to be a stable income source.
(c) Biswas pays more for her vegetables.
(d) Old Granny complains about the quality of the vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
2. Why do Janaki and her husband leave the village?
3. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
4. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 11, why does Nathan leave the village?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)