|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5, 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
(b) The village is once again too quiet.
(c) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
(d) The men spent their money lavishly.
2. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
(a) Dried wheat shafts.
(b) Coconut fronds.
(c) Bamboo shoots.
(d) Rice leaves.
3. What does Nathan do ten days after the birth of his son?
(a) Baptizes his son.
(b) Holds a celebratory feast.
(c) Has the child circumsized.
(d) Offers sacrifices to the fertility gods.
4. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
(a) The temple priest.
(b) Rukmani's older sisters.
(c) The tribal chief.
(d) The village doctor.
5. Why do the village women think Kunthi is quieter and more reserved than the rest of the women?
(a) Kunthi doesn't approve of the other women.
(b) Kunthi married beneath her.
(c) Kunthi misses her family.
(d) Kunthi is ashamed of her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
2. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
3. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
4. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
5. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)