|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5, 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many nights does the monsoon last?
2. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
(a) The midwife never shows up.
(b) Rukmani is the woman's best friend.
(c) Rukmani is preparing a celebratory feast.
(d) Rukmani is asked to stay.
3. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
(a) That her mother's death could have been prevented.
(b) That she has been ill.
(c) That her marriage is in trouble.
(d) That she has no sons.
4. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Happiness and good fortune.
(b) Good fortune and many children.
(c) Long life and happiness.
(d) Wealth and long life.
5. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) A backward child.
(b) An ignorant woman.
(c) A scared little girl.
(d) A village girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
2. In what month is Ira married?
3. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
4. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
5. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)