|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5, 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Wealth and long life.
(b) Long life and happiness.
(c) Good fortune and many children.
(d) Happiness and good fortune.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
(a) His brother has been killed.
(b) He is getting married.
(c) Hundreds of strange men have come into the village.
(d) He is leaving the village.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does Kenny do for the first time?
(a) He visits Rukmani's home.
(b) He delivers a baby by Caesarean section.
(c) He hires Nathan as an assistant.
(d) He builds a house in the village.
4. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
(a) Cobras are good luck.
(b) Kali believes that cobras are sacred.
(c) Kali belives that killed cobras are reincarnated as evil people.
(d) Cobras are territorial and now many more will come to the garden.
5. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Seeing her new grandchildren.
(b) Ira's upcoming wedding.
(c) Moving back to the city.
(d) Nathan being with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rukmani begin selling her vegetables to Biswas instead of to Old Granny?
2. How old is Ira when she is given in marriage?
3. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
4. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
5. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)