|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
(a) Kunthi is near the end of her pregnancy and unable to do anything for herself.
(b) Kunthi refuses to care for her children.
(c) Kunthi is quite ill.
(d) Kunthi is lame and cannot walk.
2. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
3. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
4. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
5. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He soothes her.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He returns to her parents' home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
2. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
3. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
4. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
5. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)