|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
2. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
(b) Nathan lives in the same town.
(c) Nathan requires no dowry.
(d) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
3. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
4. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Happiness and good fortune.
(b) Wealth and long life.
(c) Long life and happiness.
(d) Good fortune and many children.
5. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
(b) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(c) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
(d) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
2. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
3. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
4. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
5. When Rukmani's mother is on her deathbed, who does her father send for?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)