|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Two weeks.
2. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
(a) Invites them to work.
(b) Tells the villagers to go home.
(c) Thanks the villagers for being so welcoming.
(d) Requests food and drink for his men.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He is leaving the village.
(c) Hundreds of strange men have come into the village.
(d) His brother has been killed.
4. Why do some of the villagers not trust the doctor?
(a) He is from a rival village.
(b) He is very young.
(c) He is very old.
(d) He is a foreigner.
5. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
(a) It is a two-room, brick house.
(b) It is a four-bedroom house.
(c) It is a straw lean-to.
(d) It is a two-room, mud hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
2. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
3. How old is Rukmani's daughter when her first son is finally born?
4. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
5. How old is Rukmani when she marries Nathan?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)