|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even though Rukmani has to sell her vegetables in the village, the family is still grateful. Why?
(a) They are building a bigger house.
(b) They are held in high regard in the village.
(c) They are getting wealthy off of the vegetable sales.
(d) They have enough to eat.
2. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
3. What does Rukmani do when she finds the creature in her garden?
(a) She touches it.
(b) She feeds it.
(c) She writes about it.
(d) She kills it.
4. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(a) Working in the fields.
(c) Carrying water.
5. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Long life and happiness.
(b) Good fortune and many children.
(c) Happiness and good fortune.
(d) Wealth and long life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
2. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
3. What does Rukmani set aside at the end of every month?
4. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
5. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)