|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
(a) She writes.
(b) She visits with Kunthi.
(c) She goes for long walks.
(d) She teaches the neighborhood children.
2. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
(b) Nathan lives in the same town.
(c) Nathan requires no dowry.
(d) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
3. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Good fortune and many children.
(b) Happiness and good fortune.
(c) Long life and happiness.
(d) Wealth and long life.
4. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
5. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
(a) Kunthi is lame and cannot walk.
(b) Kunthi is quite ill.
(c) Kunthi is near the end of her pregnancy and unable to do anything for herself.
(d) Kunthi refuses to care for her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
2. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
3. What fruit does Rukmani first grow that earns Nathan's praise?
4. After the marriage, Rukmani sees her new home. What is it like?
5. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)