|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
(a) Kunthi's child.
(b) Janaki's child.
(c) Biswas's child.
(d) Kali's child.
2. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan requires no dowry.
(b) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
(c) Nathan lives in the same town.
(d) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
3. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Ira's upcoming wedding.
(b) Seeing her new grandchildren.
(c) Nathan being with her.
(d) Moving back to the city.
4. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
5. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Rukmani when she meets the other women?
2. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
3. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
4. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
5. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)