|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rukmani address Nathan?
(a) She calls him "Master."
(b) She calls him "Sir."
(c) She calls him "Husband."
(d) She calls him "Nathan."
2. Why do Rukmani's parents arrange her marriage to Nathan?
(a) Nathan lives in the same town.
(b) Nathan is a member of the ruling class.
(c) Rukmani is in love with Nathan.
(d) Nathan requires no dowry.
3. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Fifteen days.
4. Why is Rukmani's mother upset with the choice of Nathan as Rukmani's husband?
(a) She feels Rukmani is too young for marriage.
(b) She feels Nathan is an angry man.
(c) She does not want to let Rukmani go.
(d) She knows that Nathan is beneath them.
5. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
(a) To sell their rice.
(b) To work.
(c) To shop.
(d) To meet the other women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
2. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
3. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
4. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
5. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)