|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
(a) Coconut fronds.
(b) Bamboo shoots.
(c) Rice leaves.
(d) Dried wheat shafts.
2. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Happiness and good fortune.
(b) Good fortune and many children.
(c) Long life and happiness.
(d) Wealth and long life.
3. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
(a) A cobra.
(b) A rat.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A spider.
4. How many older sisters does Rukmani have?
5. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
(a) Kunthi's child.
(b) Janaki's child.
(c) Kali's child.
(d) Biswas's child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rukmani and two other women take turns helping Kunthi. Why?
2. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
3. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
4. Why does Rukmani go into the village once or twice a week?
5. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)