|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Rukmani and her mother do whenever Rukmani travels back to her childhood home?
(a) Laugh about Rukmani's earlier exploits.
(b) Complain about Rukmani's living conditions.
(c) Visit with the neighbors.
(d) Visit the temple to pray.
2. How long does it take the construction workers to build the new establishment in Nathan's village?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
3. When the construction workers leave the village, some of the villagers are disappointed. Why?
(a) The village is once again too quiet.
(b) The men spent their money lavishly.
(c) The men told great stories about foreign lands.
(d) The villagers liked the excitement the men brought with them.
4. Nathan hangs a garland of mango leaves across the doorway to welcome Rukmani to her new house. What do the mango leaves symbolize?
(a) Good fortune and many children.
(b) Happiness and good fortune.
(c) Long life and happiness.
(d) Wealth and long life.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
(a) Hundreds of strange men have come into the village.
(b) His brother has been killed.
(c) He is leaving the village.
(d) He is getting married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the roof on Nathan's hut made from?
2. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
3. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
4. When Rukmani begins taking better care of herself and leaving more of the farming work to Nathan, what does she do in her spare time?
5. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)