|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(a) Carrying water.
(d) Working in the fields.
2. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
3. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
(a) Cobras are territorial and now many more will come to the garden.
(b) Kali belives that killed cobras are reincarnated as evil people.
(c) Kali believes that cobras are sacred.
(d) Cobras are good luck.
4. When Rukmani becomes sick as she leaves her parents' home, what is her new husband's reaction?
(a) He yells at her.
(b) He soothes her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He returns to her parents' home.
5. After her mother dies, the doctor asks Rukmani what is wrong. What does Rukmani reveal to the doctor?
(a) That she has no sons.
(b) That her marriage is in trouble.
(c) That her mother's death could have been prevented.
(d) That she has been ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
2. How old is their daughter before Nathan finally starts taking an interest in her?
3. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
4. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
5. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)