|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
(d) Dear one.
2. What is Rukmani doing when she first meets the other women in Nathan's village?
(a) Working in the fields.
(d) Carrying water.
3. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(b) She understands, but refuses to listen.
(c) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(d) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
4. As the story opens, what is Rukmani dreaming of?
(a) Nathan being with her.
(b) Ira's upcoming wedding.
(c) Seeing her new grandchildren.
(d) Moving back to the city.
5. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Rukmani in the Nathan's village before finally meeting some of the other women?
2. Why does Kali warn Rukmani to not let her daughter start walking so early?
3. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
4. Why are some people surprised when they look at Nathan and Rukmani's daughter?
5. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)