|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 13 and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to pay their rent, what is Rukmani forced to sell?
(a) Her new dress.
(b) Her mother's ring.
(c) Her red sari.
(d) Ira's new dowry.
2. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what does Kenny do for the first time?
(a) He hires Nathan as an assistant.
(b) He delivers a baby by Caesarean section.
(c) He builds a house in the village.
(d) He visits Rukmani's home.
4. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
(a) The children are rebelling.
(b) The rains are not coming.
(c) The workers are striking.
(d) The neighbors are stealing.
5. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
(a) When there is no work to do on the farm.
(b) When Rukmani asks him to come with her.
(c) When Nathan needs to visit the doctor.
(d) When Nathan has business to conduct.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
2. In Chapter 4, what is being built in the village?
3. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
4. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
5. How much money is in Ira's dowry?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)