|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 13 and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
2. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They are men now and have made their decision.
(b) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
(c) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(d) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
3. Why does Rukmani stay until her friend's baby is delivered?
(a) Rukmani is the woman's best friend.
(b) The midwife never shows up.
(c) Rukmani is preparing a celebratory feast.
(d) Rukmani is asked to stay.
4. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
(a) The give their wages to Rukmani.
(b) They waste it gambling.
(c) They save their wages for Ira's dowry.
(d) They spend it in the local tavern.
5. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
(a) They work with Nathan in the fields.
(b) They spend their time in the local tavern.
(c) They help their mother with household chores.
(d) They travel to the nearby village to see their friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rukmani find while tending her small garden?
2. What does Rukmani talk Nathan out of selling?
3. After the monsoon, what does the family gather when they drain the rice terraces?
4. When the villagers learn that Rukmani can write, there are mixed reactions. Which one of the villagers marvels at Rukmani's writing skill?
5. In order to pay their rent, what is Rukmani forced to sell?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)