|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 13 and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
2. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
3. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) The stores and shops are all closed.
(b) They don't bring enough money with them.
(c) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(d) There is no rice in the land.
4. After learning that Nathan killed a cobra, Kali disagrees with his action. Why?
(a) Kali belives that killed cobras are reincarnated as evil people.
(b) Kali believes that cobras are sacred.
(c) Cobras are territorial and now many more will come to the garden.
(d) Cobras are good luck.
5. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
2. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
3. Why does Kenny not help Rukmani when ask. him for food during the drought?
4. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
5. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)