|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 13 and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
(a) In the tannery's new building.
(b) In the village market.
(c) In the tea plantation.
(d) In the masonry building.
2. How far have the construction workers traveled to reach the village?
(a) Seventy kilometers.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One hundred miles.
(d) Three days.
3. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her father.
4. What is the result of the strike for Arjun and Thambi?
(a) They lose their jobs.
(b) They are promoted.
(c) They receive longer breaks.
(d) They receive higher wages.
5. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They teach other villagers to read and write.
(b) They go to work at the tannery.
(c) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
(d) They sell some of their belongings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kunthi come Rukmani's house during the drought?
2. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
3. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
4. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
5. How many nights does the monsoon last?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)