|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 13 and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to pay their rent, what is Rukmani forced to sell?
(a) Her red sari.
(b) Ira's new dowry.
(c) Her mother's ring.
(d) Her new dress.
2. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(b) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(c) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
(d) They are men now and have made their decision.
3. What does Ira wear on her wedding day?
(a) A strand of mango leaves.
(b) A red flower lei.
(c) Rukmani's purple sari.
(d) Rukmani's red sari.
4. Chapter 13 opens by describing an unwelcome event at the farm. What is happening?
(a) The children are rebelling.
(b) The neighbors are stealing.
(c) The workers are striking.
(d) The rains are not coming.
5. Who helps Rukmani when she is in childbirth and then while she recovers from the delivery?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is Ira married?
2. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
3. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
4. How long is Rukmani away from the house while helping the woman in labor?
5. Which of the women wishes that the new company's workers will simply go away for good?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)