|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 13 and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Right after the monsoons end, Rukmani and Nathan venture into town to purchase rice for the family. Why do they return empty handed?
(a) The store owners refuse to sell to them.
(b) They don't bring enough money with them.
(c) The stores and shops are all closed.
(d) There is no rice in the land.
2. Which one of the villagers is scornful of Rukmani's writing skills?
3. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They are men now and have made their decision.
(b) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
(c) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(d) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
4. Who does Rukmani trust to find a suitable husband for Ira?
(b) Old Granny.
5. When her parents restrict her freedom, what is Ira's reaction?
(a) She complains to her parents, but stays near the hut.
(b) She is confused, but doesn't complain.
(c) She understands, but refuses to listen.
(d) She sneaks into the village when her parents are in the fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the monsoon, rice is scarce. Who are Rukmani and Nathan forced to buy rice from?
2. Arjun and Thambi leave the village to work in Ceylon. Where are they working?
3. Who comes to the farm to collect the rent?
4. In Chapter 12, the workers do something unexpected. What is it?
5. How does Nathan characterize Rukmani?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)