|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 13 and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the villagers watch the construction workers for a while, what does the overseer do?
(a) Requests food and drink for his men.
(b) Thanks the villagers for being so welcoming.
(c) Invites them to work.
(d) Tells the villagers to go home.
2. As Rukmani's family is waiting for the next harvest, even the fish becomes depleted. What does Rukmani do to feed her family?
(a) She turns to prostitution.
(b) She draws upon her secret hoard.
(c) She works for Kenny.
(d) She picks and cooks twigs and berries.
3. How do Nathan and Rukmani raise the rent money they must pay?
(a) They go to work at the tannery.
(b) They sell some of their belongings.
(c) They teach other villagers to read and write.
(d) They sell the rest of the rice they were holding in reserves.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
(a) His brother has been killed.
(b) He is leaving the village.
(c) Hundreds of strange men have come into the village.
(d) He is getting married.
5. What do Nathan and Rukmani name their daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Arjun and Thambi do with their wages each week?
2. What nickname does Nathan call Rukmani?
3. Who teaches Rukmani to read and write?
4. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
5. Whose child does Rukmani help birth?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)