|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 21, 22 and 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
(a) He is leaving the village.
(b) His brother has been killed.
(c) Hundreds of strange men have come into the village.
(d) He is getting married.
2. Which of the women is thrilled that the village has gone from being a simple group of mud huts to a small town?
3. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
(a) The new crop will be wheat, not rice.
(b) The rent is being increased.
(c) The land is being sold.
(d) The landowner is coming to the village himself.
4. Where is Old Granny's body found?
(a) In the street.
(b) In the temple.
(c) In her home.
(d) In the rice paddy.
5. Why does Nathan accept the decision of his sons to leave for Ceylon?
(a) They are men now and have made their decision.
(b) Nathan cannot afford to keep feeding his sons.
(c) They are paying Nathan to let them go.
(d) They have been nothing but trouble since starting work at the tannery.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Rukmani also learns that Selvam is leaving the village. What is his new job?
2. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
3. How long does it actually take to complete the hospital?
4. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
5. Who helps Selvam obtain his new position?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)