|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 21, 22 and 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rukmani see as a positive result of the foreigners returning to the village?
(a) Ira will have many options when choosing a husband.
(b) The increased traffic in the village will lead to road improvements.
(c) The new business will create jobs to combat the high unemployment rate.
(d) She can build Ira's dowry much quicker.
2. When Arjun and Thambi leave for Ceylon, what is Rukmani afraid of?
(a) The working conditions they will see.
(b) That they will marry without her blessing.
(c) The perils they will face on their journey.
(d) Never seeing her sons again.
3. In Chapter 23, Sivaji returns to the farm. What news does he bring to Nathan and Rukmani?
(a) The land is being sold.
(b) The rent is being increased.
(c) The new crop will be wheat, not rice.
(d) The landowner is coming to the village himself.
4. Shortly after Sacrabani's birth, something happens to Nathan for the first time. What is it?
(a) Nathan quits farming.
(b) Nathan works at the tannery.
(c) Nathan leaves Rukmani.
(d) Nathan falls ill.
5. When Rukmani complains to the other women about the village's expansion and its resulting noise, Kunthi insults her. What does Kunthi call Rukmani?
(a) A scared little girl.
(b) An ignorant woman.
(c) A village girl.
(d) A backward child.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nathan accompany Rukmani into the village?
2. What do Nathan's sons do on their one day off from the tannery each week?
3. As a result of the new company moving into the village, which of the women now has a plan for her sons, as she realizes that the land cannot support all the men farming?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what news does Arjun bring to the family?
5. According to Kenny's plan, how long should it take to build the hospital?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)