|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Viorst, how often do families discuss sibling rivalry?
(a) Families discuss it only when there is a fight between siblings.
(b) Families do not discuss it at all.
(c) Families do not discuss it until the children are grown.
(d) Families discuss it frequently.
2. As children, Viorst thinks we test reality with what?
(a) Wishful thinking.
(b) Our actions.
(c) Our pretend play.
3. According to Viorst, siblings destroy our dream of what?
(a) Being our mother's favorite.
(b) Being best friends with our sibling.
(c) Absolute love.
(d) Living an idyllic life.
4. In the anecdote about the holy man painting a portrait for a king, who ends up being revealed in the painting?
(a) The king.
(b) The king's wife.
(c) The king's daughter.
(d) The holy man.
5. Some children develop a false self from what type of parenting?
(a) Uninvolved parenting.
(b) Strict parenting.
(c) Over-protective parenting.
(d) Imaginative parenting.
6. Subliminal messages of "Mommy and I are one," have proven to result in what?
(a) Spontaneous smiling.
(b) Great anxiety.
(c) Higher achievements.
(d) Warm, fuzzy feelings.
7. According to Viorst, which two abilities at which boys excel are the only ones based in scientific fact?
(a) Math and science.
(b) Aggression and visual spatial ability.
(c) Verbal and scientific.
(d) Sports and hunting.
8. Why does Viorst say we "need the controls provided by guilt"?
(a) To take care of ourselves.
(b) To understand unhappiness.
(c) To build relationships with other people.
(d) To live a healthy life.
9. The idea that we are all in love with the parent of the opposite sex is known as what?
(a) The Electra complex.
(b) The Odysseus complex.
(c) The Oracle complex.
(d) The Oedipus complex.
10. What does the author state that extended separation from a mother can cause a child?
(a) A good chance to socialize with other people.
(c) A sense of independence.
(d) Pain and permanent damage.
11. Winnicott argues that denying _____ prevents "the developing child from facing and learning to tolerate" this emotion in themselves.
12. According to Freud, when does the age of latency occur?
(a) 18-21 years old.
(b) 3-5 years old.
(c) 7-10 years old.
(d) 13-18 years old.
13. Name the experimental psychologist who convinced people it was acceptable to continue shocking subjects despite their response to pain.
(a) Jean Piaget.
(b) B.F. Skinner.
(c) Richard Paredes.
(d) Stanley Milgram.
14. The Cinderella Complex says that women are programmed for what?
(d) Being a maid.
15. At what age do we develop the superego?
Short Answer Questions
1. There are _______ unanswered questions about the innate differences between the sexes.
2. According to Chapter 9, what feeling could be fear of the loss of our own love?
3. Viorst states that what kind of parents are sexually attracted to their child?
4. During the age of latency, fear, anger, and harsh conscience make it difficult to do what?
5. Viorst states, "All of us, to some degree, are _______________."
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)