|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, absence makes the heart grow _____________.
2. According to Chapter 6, is sibling rivalry normal and universal?
(a) It depends on the parenting style.
(b) Only in the United States.
(c) Ten out of ten psychoanalysts answer yes.
(d) Only in industrialized nations.
3. What was the name of the "weird little novel" mentioned by Viorst in Chapter 8?
(a) The Catcher in the Rye.
(b) The Men's Club.
(c) Confederacy of Dunces.
(d) The Moviegoer.
4. According to Chapter 7, what destroys the innocence of the family bond?
(c) Physical abuse.
(d) Parents who argue.
5. What was the name of the girl's club that Viorst's neighbor Amy belonged to?
(a) No Boys Allowed.
(b) Rainbows and Unicorns.
(c) Girls Rule.
(d) The Rainbow Fleet.
6. Sigmund Freud once said, "When you meet a human being, the first distinction you make is ______________?"
(a) Smart or stupid.
(b) Male or female.
(c) Old or young.
(d) Crazy or sane.
7. Some children develop a false self from what type of parenting?
(a) Strict parenting.
(b) Uninvolved parenting.
(c) Over-protective parenting.
(d) Imaginative parenting.
8. There are _______ unanswered questions about the innate differences between the sexes.
9. How does Viorst purport that we form an identification of "I"?
(a) We move away to college and choose our own major.
(b) We begin to view ourselves as an independent being over a lifetime.
(c) We find a good job and experience success.
(d) We backpack through Europe and discover ourselves.
10. According to the book, the conscious daydreams that drift through our minds bring hints to us of what kind of world?
(a) A rogue, subterranean world.
(b) A perfect world.
(c) A magical, beautiful world.
(d) A just world.
11. According to Chapter 7, our adult sexuality is in response to what?
(a) Libidinal conflicts.
(b) Oedipal conflicts.
(c) The messages media convey.
(d) Our religious upbringing.
12. According to Viorst, which two abilities at which boys excel are the only ones based in scientific fact?
(a) Aggression and visual spatial ability.
(b) Sports and hunting.
(c) Verbal and scientific.
(d) Math and science.
13. Mrs. C slept in the same bed as her mother until she was how old?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 20 years old.
(d) 40 years old.
14. Some primitive tribes have allowed their men to express what sort of envy?
(a) Breast envy.
(b) Creative envy.
(c) Motherhood envy.
(d) Womb envy.
15. According to Freud, when does the age of latency occur?
(a) 18-21 years old.
(b) 7-10 years old.
(c) 13-18 years old.
(d) 3-5 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does it become clear to the child that his needs are different than his mother's?
2. What Christmas gift caused Brooke Hayward so much anguish when asked if her little sister could play with it?
3. What is the name of the personality that evolves when a child cannot trust their own feelings and takes on the personality traits of others?
4. According to the author, what do babies need?
5. The Cinderella Complex says that women are programmed for what?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)