|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Viorst feels that in adulthood we may seek out the wanted parent in an effort to do what?
(a) Win the battle over the other parent.
(b) Make the other parent jealous.
(c) Work through the feelings of childhood.
(d) Put an end to the inappropriate feelings once and for all.
2. According to the book, the conscious daydreams that drift through our minds bring hints to us of what kind of world?
(a) A just world.
(b) A rogue, subterranean world.
(c) A magical, beautiful world.
(d) A perfect world.
3. Which of the answers below describes the stages and challenges of the life cycle according to Erik Erikson?
(a) The Five Cycles of a Human.
(b) The Four Periods of Growth.
(c) The Twelve Stages of Life.
(d) The Eight Ages of Man.
4. What was the name of the "weird little novel" mentioned by Viorst in Chapter 8?
(a) The Men's Club.
(b) The Catcher in the Rye.
(c) The Moviegoer.
(d) Confederacy of Dunces.
5. According to psychoanalyst Erich Fromm, immature love follows what principle?
(a) I love you because I need you.
(b) I need you because I love you.
(c) I am loved because I love.
(d) I hate you because I love you.
6. Freud said that every dream contains what?
(b) A wish.
(c) A cat.
7. When the child decides to replace the hostility towards the new sibling with some other activity, it is referred to as what?
8. The first sentence of Chapter 1 states that, "Life begins with _______."
9. What Christmas gift caused Brooke Hayward so much anguish when asked if her little sister could play with it?
(a) A bike.
(b) A pair of roller skates.
(c) A dollhouse.
(d) A set of artist's paints.
10. In Chapter 8, the author discusses another "necessary loss." Which one is it?
(a) The loss of our heterosexuality.
(b) The limitations imposed on us due to our being male or female.
(c) The loss of the exclusive love of our mother.
(d) That we must let go in order to love.
11. As adults, we are able to see ourselves as in control, not as ___________.
(d) Mental patients.
12. According to Chapter 8, what does modern science say that all mammals start out as?
13. How is it believed that infants perceive their needs in relation to their mother?
(a) Their needs are greater than their mother's.
(b) Their needs are different than their mother's.
(c) Their needs are the same as their mother's.
(d) Their needs are less than their mother's.
14. Which fictional character mentioned in the book chooses not to become a man, and stay as a boy forever?
(a) King Arthur.
(b) Saint George.
(c) Robin Hood.
(d) Peter Pan.
15. Winnicott argues that denying _____ prevents "the developing child from facing and learning to tolerate" this emotion in themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Repression, reaction formation, isolation, and denial are all mechanisms of defense against what?
2. According to Viorst, what are we all striving to be?
3. Viorst feels our sexual nature comes from where?
4. What was the title of Delia Ephron's book about adolescent angst referenced in Chapter 10?
5. According to Chapter 7, our adult sexuality is in response to what?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)