|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which well-known psychologist noted that if a child can fight a sibling and win, he becomes a fighter. However, if he is not allowed to win, he will often not compete later in life?
(a) Alfred Adler.
(b) Jean Piaget.
(c) Erik Erikson.
(d) Lev Vygotsky.
2. Even as adults, according to the author, we still view our mothers as what?
(a) As our biggest fan.
(b) As our dearest friend.
(c) As our safety net.
(d) As our greatest critic.
3. What two feelings battle each other at every stage of development?
(a) Our desire for freedom versus our desire for protection.
(b) Our desire to learn versus our desire to have fun.
(c) Our desire for love versus our desire to be loved.
(d) Our desire to please our mother versus our desire to please ourselves.
4. The idea that we are all in love with the parent of the opposite sex is known as what?
(a) The Electra complex.
(b) The Oracle complex.
(c) The Oedipus complex.
(d) The Odysseus complex.
5. Name the experimental psychologist who convinced people it was acceptable to continue shocking subjects despite their response to pain.
(a) B.F. Skinner.
(b) Stanley Milgram.
(c) Richard Paredes.
(d) Jean Piaget.
6. Viorst feels that there is a always a grain of what in our love relationships?
(a) A grain of spite.
(b) A grain of jealousy.
(c) A grain of hatred.
(d) A grain of insecurity.
7. According to Chapter 7, what destroys the innocence of the family bond?
(b) Parents who argue.
(d) Physical abuse.
8. Chapter 1 concludes by stating that the yearning to restore the bliss of mother-child oneness is _____________________.
(a) Never relinquished.
(b) Only quenched when we find another meaningful relationship.
(c) Satisfied upon entry into adulthood.
(d) Worse when we are sick or injured.
9. Who created the character Alexander Portnoy?
(a) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(b) Philip Roth.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Leo Tolstoy.
10. According to Chapter 8, what does modern science say that all mammals start out as?
11. According to Freud, when does the age of latency occur?
(a) 13-18 years old.
(b) 18-21 years old.
(c) 7-10 years old.
(d) 3-5 years old.
12. Sibling rivalry tends to do what as we get older?
13. Why does Viorst think some people fear success?
(a) They fear the responsibility that comes with success.
(b) They fear retaliation from siblings.
(c) They fear punishment from the rival parent.
(d) They fear being more successful than the opposite sex parent.
14. What was the name of the "weird little novel" mentioned by Viorst in Chapter 8?
(a) The Men's Club.
(b) The Catcher in the Rye.
(c) The Moviegoer.
(d) Confederacy of Dunces.
15. Viorst states, "All of us, to some degree, are _______________."
(c) Primarily sexual.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 7, girls have to give up more of what than boys in outgrowing their Oedipus complex?
2. How is it believed that infants perceive their needs in relation to their mother?
3. Marvin and _______ experience great physical discomfort because of their unconscious guilt.
4. Freud said that every dream contains what?
5. Viorst feels that only through _____________ can "our loss be transcended."
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)