|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 6, is sibling rivalry normal and universal?
(a) Ten out of ten psychoanalysts answer yes.
(b) It depends on the parenting style.
(c) Only in the United States.
(d) Only in industrialized nations.
2. "It is __________ to grow up."
3. Viorst states that what kind of parents are sexually attracted to their child?
(a) Normal parents.
(b) Degenerate parents.
(c) Adoptive parents.
(d) Same-sex parents.
4. What are the ingrained patterns repeated in adulthood due to childhood experiences called?
(a) Familiarity complex.
(b) Revisiting the past.
(c) Bad habits.
(d) Repetition compulsion.
5. Sibling rivalry tends to do what as we get older?
6. According to the book, the conscious daydreams that drift through our minds bring hints to us of what kind of world?
(a) A rogue, subterranean world.
(b) A just world.
(c) A magical, beautiful world.
(d) A perfect world.
7. Margaret Mead points out that we have labeled the Oedipal issue as a _______________.
(b) Valid response.
(d) Ridiculous behavior.
8. The first sentence of Chapter 1 states that, "Life begins with _______."
9. According to Freud, when does the age of latency occur?
(a) 7-10 years old.
(b) 18-21 years old.
(c) 3-5 years old.
(d) 13-18 years old.
10. According to the author, what do babies need?
(b) A consistent caregiver.
11. Who wrote the book, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret?
(a) J.K. Rowling
(b) Beverly Cleary
(c) Madeleine L'Engle
(d) Judy Blume
12. According to Chapter 11, what is built of imperfect connections?
(d) The parent-child relationship.
13. In Chapter 8, the author discusses another "necessary loss." Which one is it?
(a) The loss of our heterosexuality.
(b) The limitations imposed on us due to our being male or female.
(c) That we must let go in order to love.
(d) The loss of the exclusive love of our mother.
14. What was the name of the girl's club that Viorst's neighbor Amy belonged to?
(a) The Rainbow Fleet.
(b) No Boys Allowed.
(c) Rainbows and Unicorns.
(d) Girls Rule.
15. How did Viorst fantasize about taking care of the bully who was bothering her son?
(a) Holding him up against a tree until he promised not to do it anymore.
(b) Shooting him.
(c) Shoving him in front of a truck.
(d) Talking to his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person coined the phrase Cinderella Complex?
2. As adults, we are able to see ourselves as in control, not as ___________.
3. Sigmund Freud once said, "When you meet a human being, the first distinction you make is ______________?"
4. What is the name of the personality that evolves when a child cannot trust their own feelings and takes on the personality traits of others?
5. What two feelings battle each other at every stage of development?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)