|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which well-known psychologist noted that if a child can fight a sibling and win, he becomes a fighter. However, if he is not allowed to win, he will often not compete later in life?
(a) Jean Piaget.
(b) Erik Erikson.
(c) Lev Vygotsky.
(d) Alfred Adler.
2. Which fictional character mentioned in the book chooses not to become a man, and stay as a boy forever?
(a) King Arthur.
(b) Saint George.
(c) Robin Hood.
(d) Peter Pan.
3. What does the author state that extended separation from a mother can cause a child?
(b) A sense of independence.
(c) Pain and permanent damage.
(d) A good chance to socialize with other people.
4. According to Viorst, siblings destroy our dream of what?
(a) Being best friends with our sibling.
(b) Being our mother's favorite.
(c) Living an idyllic life.
(d) Absolute love.
5. According to Chapter 6, is sibling rivalry normal and universal?
(a) Ten out of ten psychoanalysts answer yes.
(b) It depends on the parenting style.
(c) Only in the United States.
(d) Only in industrialized nations.
6. Who created the character Alexander Portnoy?
(a) Leo Tolstoy.
(b) Philip Roth.
(c) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(d) James Joyce.
7. Which of the answers below describes the stages and challenges of the life cycle according to Erik Erikson?
(a) The Five Cycles of a Human.
(b) The Twelve Stages of Life.
(c) The Four Periods of Growth.
(d) The Eight Ages of Man.
8. Mrs. C slept in the same bed as her mother until she was how old?
(a) 20 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 40 years old.
(d) 10 years old.
9. The idea that we are all in love with the parent of the opposite sex is known as what?
(a) The Oracle complex.
(b) The Electra complex.
(c) The Oedipus complex.
(d) The Odysseus complex.
10. After fantasizing about her mother having a fatal heart attack, a woman drove up to her mother's apartment building to find what?
(a) Her mother's upstairs neighbor being loaded into an ambulance.
(b) Everyone having a block party.
(c) Her mother being loaded into an ambulance.
(d) A fire and fire truck.
11. According to Viorst, we not only try to re-live the good experiences from our past, but also seek to re-create the bad ones in an effort to do what?
(a) In an effort to assess how we performed.
(b) In an effort to correct them.
(c) In an effort to torture ourselves.
(d) In an effort to rehearse for the future.
12. What was the name of the "weird little novel" mentioned by Viorst in Chapter 8?
(a) The Moviegoer.
(b) The Men's Club.
(c) The Catcher in the Rye.
(d) Confederacy of Dunces.
13. As a result of unconscious guilt, criminals sometimes do what?
(b) Hide thier crimes.
(c) Lie to authority figures.
(d) Leave self-damaging evidence.
14. Which character claimed that, "I am a part of all that I have met."
15. According to Viorst, which two abilities at which boys excel are the only ones based in scientific fact?
(a) Math and science.
(b) Verbal and scientific.
(c) Aggression and visual spatial ability.
(d) Sports and hunting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the girl's club that Viorst's neighbor Amy belonged to?
2. At what age do we develop the superego?
3. According to Chapter 8, it is believed that girls have a greater _______________ ability as opposed to boys.
4. Why does Viorst say we "need the controls provided by guilt"?
5. Subliminal messages of "Mommy and I are one," have proven to result in what?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)