|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Christmas gift caused Brooke Hayward so much anguish when asked if her little sister could play with it?
(a) A set of artist's paints.
(b) A dollhouse.
(c) A bike.
(d) A pair of roller skates.
2. Henry David Thoreau's little isolated cabin was how far from his mother's house?
(a) One state away.
(b) One mile.
(c) One day on a horse.
(d) Ten miles.
3. Viorst feels that in adulthood we may seek out the wanted parent in an effort to do what?
(a) Work through the feelings of childhood.
(b) Make the other parent jealous.
(c) Put an end to the inappropriate feelings once and for all.
(d) Win the battle over the other parent.
4. According to Chapter 7, girls have to give up more of what than boys in outgrowing their Oedipus complex?
(a) More dreams.
(b) More fears.
(c) More people.
(d) More sex.
5. Why does Viorst think some people fear success?
(a) They fear the responsibility that comes with success.
(b) They fear being more successful than the opposite sex parent.
(c) They fear retaliation from siblings.
(d) They fear punishment from the rival parent.
6. At what age do we develop the superego?
7. How does Viorst describe the first loss we experience as humans?
(a) First separation.
(b) Original loss.
(c) Launch of independence.
(d) New beginning.
8. Which two psychologists believe that the contacts between infant and mother produce a "deep libidinal pleasure"?
(a) Piaget and Spock.
(b) Jung and Adler.
(c) Skinner and Sullivan.
(d) Freud and Erikson.
9. What is one of the necessary losses discussed in Chapter 3?
(a) To give up on the idea that we are independent beings.
(b) To give up the many identities we try out.
(c) To give up on being one with our mother.
(d) To give up our need for control.
10. There are _______ unanswered questions about the innate differences between the sexes.
11. Which of the following, according to the author, may be an inappropriate way to deal with the grieving of childhood?
(a) Breaking the rules.
(d) Driving recklessly.
12. What happens when children see their mothers as all good or all bad?
(a) They shun perfect and evil people alike, looking for complete mediocrity in the perfect mate.
(b) They compare everyone they meet to their mothers.
(c) They split from relationships their whole life because they think in terms of black and white.
(d) They form a very close relationship with their fathers.
13. Mrs. C slept in the same bed as her mother until she was how old?
(a) 20 years old.
(b) 40 years old.
(c) 10 years old.
(d) 5 years old.
14. "Our conscience is our _____________ installed in our mind."
(c) Collective consciousness.
15. Which character claimed that, "I am a part of all that I have met."
Short Answer Questions
1. Freud said that every dream contains what?
2. What two feelings battle each other at every stage of development?
3. What is composed of our noblest goals?
4. Marvin and _______ experience great physical discomfort because of their unconscious guilt.
5. According to Viorst, we not only try to re-live the good experiences from our past, but also seek to re-create the bad ones in an effort to do what?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)