|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Our conscience is our _____________ installed in our mind."
(c) Collective consciousness.
2. As adults, we are able to see ourselves as in control, not as ___________.
(d) Mental patients.
3. Which of the answers below describes the stages and challenges of the life cycle according to Erik Erikson?
(a) The Eight Ages of Man.
(b) The Twelve Stages of Life.
(c) The Four Periods of Growth.
(d) The Five Cycles of a Human.
4. Viorst feels our sexual nature comes from where?
(a) It comes from the messages around us.
(b) It is inborn and shaped by our environment.
(c) It comes from our DNA.
(d) It is formed in our mind.
5. Which character claimed that, "I am a part of all that I have met."
6. Margaret Mead points out that we have labeled the Oedipal issue as a _______________.
(a) Valid response.
(d) Ridiculous behavior.
7. According to Chapter 11, what is built of imperfect connections?
(d) The parent-child relationship.
8. What two feelings battle each other at every stage of development?
(a) Our desire for love versus our desire to be loved.
(b) Our desire to please our mother versus our desire to please ourselves.
(c) Our desire to learn versus our desire to have fun.
(d) Our desire for freedom versus our desire for protection.
9. After fantasizing about her mother having a fatal heart attack, a woman drove up to her mother's apartment building to find what?
(a) Her mother being loaded into an ambulance.
(b) Her mother's upstairs neighbor being loaded into an ambulance.
(c) A fire and fire truck.
(d) Everyone having a block party.
10. In the study discussed in Chapter 8, how many school children were asked how their lives would be different if they woke up the next morning as the opposite sex?
11. In the anecdote about the holy man painting a portrait for a king, who ends up being revealed in the painting?
(a) The holy man.
(b) The king's wife.
(c) The king.
(d) The king's daughter.
12. What is the name of the philosopher who said, "Man is the being who is capable of becoming guilty and is capable of illuminating his guilt"?
(a) Martin Buber.
(b) Friedrich Nietzsche.
(c) Dallas Willard.
(d) John Locke.
13. The idea that we are all in love with the parent of the opposite sex is known as what?
(a) The Electra complex.
(b) The Oedipus complex.
(c) The Odysseus complex.
(d) The Oracle complex.
14. According to Chapter 8, it is believed that girls have a greater _______________ ability as opposed to boys.
15. Sigmund Freud once said, "When you meet a human being, the first distinction you make is ______________?"
(a) Old or young.
(b) Smart or stupid.
(c) Male or female.
(d) Crazy or sane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winnicott argues that denying _____ prevents "the developing child from facing and learning to tolerate" this emotion in themselves.
2. Escaping to an earlier stage of development in an effort to deal with socially unacceptable feelings toward a new sibling is called what?
3. How did Viorst fantasize about taking care of the bully who was bothering her son?
4. According to Viorst, grown-up love must begin with what?
5. Freud said that every dream contains what?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)