|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Viorst, what is one of our first treasures that we don't want to share?
(a) Our mother's love.
(b) Our special blanket.
(c) Our father's love.
(d) Our mother's milk.
2. When the child decides to replace the hostility towards the new sibling with some other activity, it is referred to as what?
3. Viorst states, "All of us, to some degree, are _______________."
(b) Primarily sexual.
4. As children, Viorst thinks we test reality with what?
(a) Our actions.
(b) Our pretend play.
(d) Wishful thinking.
5. At the end of Chapter 8, Margaret Mead uses what type of profession in her analogy about accepting what we were born with?
6. Some children develop a false self from what type of parenting?
(a) Over-protective parenting.
(b) Strict parenting.
(c) Imaginative parenting.
(d) Uninvolved parenting.
7. In the study discussed in Chapter 8, how many school children were asked how their lives would be different if they woke up the next morning as the opposite sex?
8. During the age of latency, fear, anger, and harsh conscience make it difficult to do what?
(a) Maintain a good relationship with our parents.
(b) Make the break from our parents.
(c) Develop into our own person.
(d) Concentrate on school.
9. According to Chapter 11, we sometimes fear that our fantasies can do what?
(a) Have the power to control reality.
(b) Make us mean.
(c) Reveal the sick, depraved person we really are.
(d) Change us.
10. What was the title of Delia Ephron's book about adolescent angst referenced in Chapter 10?
(a) Teen Infatuation.
(b) Puppy Love.
(c) Teenage Romance.
(d) Romantic Teens.
11. After fantasizing about her mother having a fatal heart attack, a woman drove up to her mother's apartment building to find what?
(a) Everyone having a block party.
(b) Her mother being loaded into an ambulance.
(c) A fire and fire truck.
(d) Her mother's upstairs neighbor being loaded into an ambulance.
12. According to Art Buchwald, what are "the three worst words in the language"?
(a) Jewish, urchin, institution.
(b) Hebrew, orphan, asylum.
(c) Isolated, hopeless, angry.
(d) Lonely, stray, hospital.
13. There are _______ unanswered questions about the innate differences between the sexes.
14. Sigmund Freud once said, "When you meet a human being, the first distinction you make is ______________?"
(a) Old or young.
(b) Smart or stupid.
(c) Crazy or sane.
(d) Male or female.
15. How does Viorst purport that we form an identification of "I"?
(a) We find a good job and experience success.
(b) We begin to view ourselves as an independent being over a lifetime.
(c) We backpack through Europe and discover ourselves.
(d) We move away to college and choose our own major.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Viorst think some people fear success?
2. What does the author state that extended separation from a mother can cause a child?
3. According to the author, what do babies need?
4. What is one of the necessary losses discussed in Chapter 3?
5. Winnicott argues that denying _____ prevents "the developing child from facing and learning to tolerate" this emotion in themselves.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)