|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the example of a woman dreaming of a German Nazi officer, she is really associating with what?
(a) The police man who gave her a ticket earlier in the day.
(b) Her overbearing mother urging her to eat in Yiddish.
(c) Her cruel boss demanding she work overtime.
(d) Her controlling husband forbidding her to go out.
2. What was the name of the "weird little novel" mentioned by Viorst in Chapter 8?
(a) The Moviegoer.
(b) The Catcher in the Rye.
(c) The Men's Club.
(d) Confederacy of Dunces.
3. Seeing our own feelings as those of the new baby's is known as what?
(a) Entanglement of self.
(d) Yours and mine syndrome.
4. Viorst states, "All of us, to some degree, are _______________."
(d) Primarily sexual.
5. According to Viorst, we not only try to re-live the good experiences from our past, but also seek to re-create the bad ones in an effort to do what?
(a) In an effort to correct them.
(b) In an effort to rehearse for the future.
(c) In an effort to torture ourselves.
(d) In an effort to assess how we performed.
6. The Cinderella Complex says that women are programmed for what?
(b) Being a maid.
7. According to the author, what do babies need?
(a) A consistent caregiver.
8. Chapter 11 discusses our what?
(a) Perception of reality.
(b) Parents' expectations.
(d) Sleeping patterns.
9. According to Chapter 11, we sometimes fear that our fantasies can do what?
(a) Make us mean.
(b) Change us.
(c) Reveal the sick, depraved person we really are.
(d) Have the power to control reality.
10. Subliminal messages of "Mommy and I are one," have proven to result in what?
(a) Great anxiety.
(b) Higher achievements.
(c) Spontaneous smiling.
(d) Warm, fuzzy feelings.
11. Freud said that every dream contains what?
(a) A cat.
(d) A wish.
12. Chapter 1 concludes by stating that the yearning to restore the bliss of mother-child oneness is _____________________.
(a) Worse when we are sick or injured.
(b) Only quenched when we find another meaningful relationship.
(c) Satisfied upon entry into adulthood.
(d) Never relinquished.
13. Who said, "To be a man, a woman, an adult, is to accept responsibility"?
(a) Antoine de Saint-Exupery
(b) Sigmund Freud
(c) Jean Valjean
(d) Victor Hugo
14. Which person coined the phrase Cinderella Complex?
(a) Colleen Rodman.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Colette Dowling.
(d) Judith Viorst.
15. Which well-known psychologist noted that if a child can fight a sibling and win, he becomes a fighter. However, if he is not allowed to win, he will often not compete later in life?
(a) Jean Piaget.
(b) Alfred Adler.
(c) Erik Erikson.
(d) Lev Vygotsky.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the age of latency, fear, anger, and harsh conscience make it difficult to do what?
2. Some primitive tribes have allowed their men to express what sort of envy?
3. While in the hospital, a little boy who was set on fire by his mother is crying for whom?
4. What does the author state that extended separation from a mother can cause a child?
5. "Reality testing" means what?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)