|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Professor Douglas Stanton teach?
2. In Chapter 13, who does Early think Billie Holiday would have been friends with?
3. What place does Early come in during the regatta?
4. What does Jack have for lunch the first day of school in Chapter 3?
5. Where is Jack from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack say about his father and grandfather in the Prologue?
2. Who was the Fish?
3. How does Jack feel the night after the regatta?
4. What does Jack say viewing the ocean for the first time is supposed to be like, and what is it like for him?
5. What does Jack realize when he looks out his window at the end of Chapter 12?
6. What does Early ask Jack at the beginning of Chapter 11, and why does Jack decline?
7. How did Early get the "Maine" to the workshop?
8. What advice does the headmaster give Jack as he shows Jack and his father around?
9. What messages did Jack get at the beginning of Chapter 12?
10. What does Jack consider wishing for in the boathouse in Chapter 6 and what does he wish for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early and Jack have different ways of dealing with and interacting with the pirates. How do the boys interact differently with the pirates? Which boy is more effective when dealing with the pirates and why?
Essay Topic 2
Jack struggles to adjust to Morton Hill. Why is it so difficult for Jack to adjust to Morton Hill. In what way is the adjustment caused by the new surroundings and by missing his mother?
Essay Topic 3
A bar maid is compared to the Homely Wretch Pi met. How is the bar maid at the Bear Knuckle Inn like the Homely Wretch and how does Early transform her?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)