|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7 on Friday evening, what are the other boys eating in Sam and Robbie's room?
2. Why does Early bring tobacco on his trip in the boat with Jack?
3. What does Early listen to on Sundays?
4. What is the center of everything in Jack's hometown?
5. Who is Early listening to on his record player in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the after-school hours blend together for Jack and Early?
2. What does Jack realize when he looks out his window at the end of Chapter 12?
3. What is Early wearing and doing when Jack sees him at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What does Jack say about his father and grandfather in the Prologue?
5. What are some shrines or temples in Jack's hometown in Kansas?
6. What is Early doing when Jack sees him in Chapter 9?
7. What messages did Jack get at the beginning of Chapter 12?
8. How does Jack describe his bed after his father makes it for him?
9. What was the opening ceremony for the regatta?
10. How does Preston describe Early at lunch in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack leaves Early behind when he races in the regatta. How does Early feel about being left behind and how long does it take him to make peace with Jack?
Essay Topic 2
Gunnar says that there are too many people roaming around looking for the wrong thing. What does Gunnar mean by that statement and what are the dangers of doing roaming around looking for the wrong thing without a direction?
Essay Topic 3
Jack was nearly swept away after his mother's death. What saved Jack and what did he learn about dealing with death because of Early?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)