|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river does Early plan to travel as he leaves with Jack in Chapter 13?
2. How many kids attended Jack's tenth birthday party?
3. What is the weather like in Chapter 11?
4. What is the name of the most beautiful boat in the boathouse?
5. Who is Early listening to on his record player in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jack's parents meet?
2. What is Jack's trip like to Maine?
3. How does Jack feel the night after the regatta?
4. What is Early's room like?
5. How does Jack describe his bed after his father makes it for him?
6. What does Jack say about his father and grandfather in the Prologue?
7. Where does Jack spend most of his second day at Morton Hill Academy?
8. What does Jack consider wishing for in the boathouse in Chapter 6 and what does he wish for?
9. What does Early ask Jack at the beginning of Chapter 11, and why does Jack decline?
10. What are some shrines or temples in Jack's hometown in Kansas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack struggles to adjust to Morton Hill. Why is it so difficult for Jack to adjust to Morton Hill. In what way is the adjustment caused by the new surroundings and by missing his mother?
Essay Topic 2
A bar maid is compared to the Homely Wretch Pi met. How is the bar maid at the Bear Knuckle Inn like the Homely Wretch and how does Early transform her?
Essay Topic 3
Jack leaves Early behind when he races in the regatta. How does Early feel about being left behind and how long does it take him to make peace with Jack?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)