|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the center of everything in Jack's hometown?
2. In Chapter 11, where does Jack say he will go with his father during spring break?
3. What is the name of Early's northern leopard frog?
4. In Chapter 12, how many boats are lined up to race in regatta when Jack arrives?
5. How often does Early go into town when all the boys are given day passes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack feel the night after the regatta?
2. Is Jack lonely on Friday night in Chapter 7?
3. What does Early ask Jack at the beginning of Chapter 11, and why does Jack decline?
4. What is Early's room like?
5. What does Jack consider wishing for in the boathouse in Chapter 6 and what does he wish for?
6. What does Jack say about his father and grandfather in the Prologue?
7. How does Jack describe his bed after his father makes it for him?
8. What is Early wearing and doing when Jack sees him at the beginning of Chapter 13?
9. Where does Jack spend most of his second day at Morton Hill Academy?
10. How does Preston describe Early at lunch in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early and Jack have different ways of dealing with and interacting with the pirates. How do the boys interact differently with the pirates? Which boy is more effective when dealing with the pirates and why?
Essay Topic 2
Jack feels lost after the regatta. What other times has Jack felt lost? Why does Jack feel so lost and without direction?
Essay Topic 3
Jack was nearly swept away after his mother's death. What saved Jack and what did he learn about dealing with death because of Early?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)