|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy think he will gain when he becomes the best player ever and gets Memo?
(a) Peace and happiness.
(b) The farm he has always wanted.
(c) Lots of money.
(d) Lots of fame.
2. What is the name of the lady in the red dress?
(a) Victoria Youngberry.
(b) Memo Paris.
(c) Harriet Bird.
(d) Iris Lemon.
3. What does Iris encourage Roy to do?
(a) Try and get Pop fired.
(b) Sell out to Judge Banner.
(c) Stay in baseball one more year.
(d) Be a good influence on young boys.
4. What does Roy do about the bribe he is offered to throw the game?
(a) He accepts but later changes his mind.
(b) He tells Memo and lets her know he is above that.
(c) He reports The Judge to the FBI.
(d) He accepts the bribe and bets on the game.
5. Who is the pitcher that strikes Roy out in the pennant game?
(a) John Young.
(b) Herman Youngberry.
(c) Ray Fowler.
(d) Red Blow.
6. What does Roy do to get even with Max Mercy?
(a) He hits him with his baseball bat.
(b) He pretends to be a German waiter and spills stuff all over Max.
(c) He breaks up his relationship with Memo.
(d) He tells Pop Fisher a lie about Max and gets him thrown out of the stadium.
7. What happens after Roy makes an important decision during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) He strikes out.
(b) He sees Gus and Memo together in the stands.
(c) He asks Pop if he will give permission for him to marry Memo.
(d) He sees Iris in the stands and waves.
8. After Roy gets sick, what does he dream about?
(a) Striking out in the pennant game.
(b) Memo wiping his brow with a cool cloth.
(c) Eating dead birds.
(d) A train coming through his room.
9. What is Roy's reaction after he finally reads Iris's letter?
(a) He wads it up and throws it against the wall.
(b) He shows it to Memo and laughs at Iris.
(c) He leaves Memo and returns to Iris.
(d) He shows it to The Judge for advice.
10. What does Gus suggest in Memo's motel room that makes Roy so angry?
(a) He suggests that Roy is a sorry ball player.
(b) He suggests he can get him lots more money for throwing a game.
(c) He suggests that Memo doesn't like him, but likes Max instead.
(d) He suggests that Roy is taking advantage of Memo.
11. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
(a) He eats until he gets sick and is sent to the hospital.
(b) He sees Pop at the party and gets into trouble for being up late.
(c) He leaves early because he needs rest before the game.
(d) He meets a new girlfriend.
12. What offer did The Judge send Memo to tell Roy about?
(a) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise to throw the pennant game.
(b) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise if they won the pennant game.
(c) Enough money to marry Memo if he would get Pop fired.
(d) The position of coach of the Knights.
13. Why does Roy decide Iris Lemon is not the girl he wants?
(a) She is a grandmother and he is not ready to be a grandfather.
(b) Pop encourages him to give her up and choose Memo.
(c) He can't quit thinking about Memo, so decides she is the one.
(d) She is fat and he likes thin girls like Memo.
14. What does Iris tell Roy that repels him?
(a) That she likes The Judge.
(b) That she likes Gus.
(c) That she snores when she sleeps.
(d) That she is a grandmother.
15. What happens when Roy played cards in Memo's motel room?
(a) He gets thrown out of the motel.
(b) He loses a lot of money.
(c) He gets sick.
(d) He wins a large amount from Gus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iris tell Roy he must do to be a true hero?
2. What happens when Roy sneaks out of the hospital and does some practice batting?
3. When Roy visits a fortune teller, what does she tell him?
4. What does Roy tell Memo about his mother?
5. In making his decision whether or not to accept The Judge's offer, what is the one thing Roy considers?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)