|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Roy sneaks out of the hospital and does some practice batting?
(a) Pop helps him practice.
(b) He passes out at the plate.
(c) He sees The Judge watching him.
(d) Memo ridicules him.
2. Who is the only person that Roy thinks really cares about him?
(b) His first coach and trainer.
(c) His family who his hasn't seen in several years.
(d) The brunette in the red dress that stands in the bleachers.
3. How does Roy feel about Iris after he first meets her?
(a) He feels finally fulfilled.
(b) Disappointment that she is not Memo.
(c) She becomes his new love.
(d) He is disgusted at her appearance.
4. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
(a) A lifetime career in baseball.
(b) A good retirement.
(c) Money and love, specifically Memo.
(d) The respect of Pop.
5. What is the name of the lady in the red dress?
(a) Memo Paris.
(b) Harriet Bird.
(c) Iris Lemon.
(d) Victoria Youngberry.
6. What does Roy think he will gain when he becomes the best player ever and gets Memo?
(a) Lots of money.
(b) Lots of fame.
(c) Peace and happiness.
(d) The farm he has always wanted.
7. Who does Roy see in the stands while playing a game in Chicago?
(a) Fans that are cheering for him.
(b) His father whom he hasn't seen in years.
(c) A lady in a red dress standing and cheering for him.
(d) A baseball scout for another team.
8. What is wrong with Roy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) He got hurt in a wreck and can't play ball.
(b) He broke his arm and can't pitch.
(c) He is depressed and in a slump.
(d) He is sick and the doctors don't know what is wrong.
9. What does Max Mercy do to Roy that angers him so much?
(a) He writes a negative news story about Roy.
(b) He takes Memo away from Roy.
(c) He prints a picture of Roy as a clown.
(d) He prints a story about Roy's insecurities.
10. What happens to Roy after he leaves Iris and returns to Memo?
(a) He decides to leave all women alone.
(b) Memo rejects his romantic attempts.
(c) He and Memo get married.
(d) He misses Iris and returns to her.
11. What does Pop say in Chapter 10 that makes Roy's decision even harder?
(a) That he knows Roy is a hero and above throwing a game.
(b) That he is entitled to win the pennant game and will then retire.
(c) That he will tell Memo to now marry him if they lose.
(d) That he knows how good a player Roy is and is depending on him.
12. In making his decision whether or not to accept The Judge's offer, what is the one thing Roy considers?
(a) If he could maybe get more money from The Judge.
(b) What Iris would think of him if he did accept it.
(c) If doing so would help him win Memo.
(d) If it was really wrong or not.
13. What is Max Mercy fixated on?
(a) Getting Pop Fisher fired.
(b) Reporting baseball stats.
(c) Finding out Roy's story.
(d) The relationship between Memo and Roy.
14. What reason does Roy give for not wanting to talk about his past?
(a) He said he really didn't have a very exciting past to talk about.
(b) He said he was ashamed of his past.
(c) He said he couldn't remember his past after the gunshot wound.
(d) He said it digs up too much pain.
15. What is Roy's reaction when The Judge shows up in his motel room?
(a) He is surprised because Memo had just left.
(b) He cries and tells him he is afraid of losing Memo.
(c) He threatens to call the FBI.
(d) He is afraid of The Judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iris say is the only way to find happiness?
2. What does The Judge tell Roy when he is trying to get him to throw a game?
3. Who is the pitcher that strikes Roy out in the pennant game?
4. What happens when Roy played cards in Memo's motel room?
5. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)