|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
(a) She says she was trying to decide between him and Gus.
(b) She says she can't stand people who are "blue."
(c) She says she only likes successful people.
(d) She says Pop told her to leave him alone.
2. What does Roy tell Memo about his mother?
(a) He said that she died when he was a small toddler.
(b) He said that she ran away when he was a teen and he was angry with her.
(c) He said that she was the perfect mother and that he loved her very much.
(d) He said that she was a "whore" who spoiled his father's life.
3. After Roy gets sick, what does he dream about?
(a) Memo wiping his brow with a cool cloth.
(b) Striking out in the pennant game.
(c) A train coming through his room.
(d) Eating dead birds.
4. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
(a) He eats until he gets sick and is sent to the hospital.
(b) He leaves early because he needs rest before the game.
(c) He sees Pop at the party and gets into trouble for being up late.
(d) He meets a new girlfriend.
5. What does Roy do about the bribe he is offered to throw the game?
(a) He reports The Judge to the FBI.
(b) He accepts but later changes his mind.
(c) He tells Memo and lets her know he is above that.
(d) He accepts the bribe and bets on the game.
6. Why can Memo not be the woman Roy needs?
(a) She is too absorbed in her own wants and desires.
(b) Roy doesn't love her.
(c) She is engaged to Bump.
(d) Pop forbids them to be together.
7. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
(a) To leave Memo and forget her.
(b) To try and lose the next game so they can win their bet.
(c) To get married to Memo.
(d) To give up his favorite bat and get another.
8. In what way does Roy treat Memo and Iris the same?
(a) He treated them both like objects, not people.
(b) He bought both of them lavish gifts.
(c) He got angry and gave both a black eye.
(d) He told both his life story.
9. How does Roy feel about Iris after he first meets her?
(a) He feels finally fulfilled.
(b) Disappointment that she is not Memo.
(c) She becomes his new love.
(d) He is disgusted at her appearance.
10. What ultimately brings about Roy's failure?
(a) His gambling on his games.
(b) His love of more than one woman at a time.
(c) His agreement to throw the pennant game.
(d) His focus only on being a superhero.
11. What does Roy think about his relationship with Memo when he is in his big slump?
(a) He thinks she doesn't like him anymore because he is playing poorly.
(b) He thinks she likes someone else.
(c) He knows she wants to get married as soon as possible.
(d) He is tired of her and wants the brunette.
12. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
(d) Red Blow.
13. Who sends Memo to Roy's motel room?
(c) The Judge.
14. Why does Memo tell Roy he should go see a fortune teller?
(a) To find out what Roy needs to do to get over his slump.
(b) To find out if they are meant for each other.
(c) To find out if they will win the next game.
(d) Because Bump went to one.
15. What does Pop say in Chapter 10 that makes Roy's decision even harder?
(a) That he will tell Memo to now marry him if they lose.
(b) That he knows Roy is a hero and above throwing a game.
(c) That he is entitled to win the pennant game and will then retire.
(d) That he knows how good a player Roy is and is depending on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roy decide Iris Lemon is not the girl he wants?
2. What is Roy's reaction after he finally reads Iris's letter?
3. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
4. What decision does Roy make during the last inning of the pennant game?
5. What happens to Roy after he leaves Iris and returns to Memo?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)