|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy think about his relationship with Memo when he is in his big slump?
(a) He thinks she doesn't like him anymore because he is playing poorly.
(b) He is tired of her and wants the brunette.
(c) He knows she wants to get married as soon as possible.
(d) He thinks she likes someone else.
2. What advice does Red Blow, the trainer, give Roy when he is in his bad slump?
(a) To keep his fans in mind and try to please them.
(b) To get married to Memo and quit trying to impress her.
(c) To forget Memo and drop her.
(d) To consider what might be on his mind that is worrying him.
3. What does Roy need that only Iris seems to understand?
(a) To be morally as good as he is as a baseball player.
(b) To go back home to family.
(c) To have a father figure in his life.
(d) To be the all-time baseball hero.
4. Why does Memo tell Roy he should go see a fortune teller?
(a) To find out if they will win the next game.
(b) To find out what Roy needs to do to get over his slump.
(c) To find out if they are meant for each other.
(d) Because Bump went to one.
5. How does Roy feel when the fans began to cheer him on after he gets out of the slump?
(a) He doesn't care about them and hardly notices them.
(b) He feels like a hero and the best ballplayer ever.
(c) He remembers how they treated him when he was in a slump.
(d) He is afraid they will turn on him because of his gambling.
6. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
(a) She says she can't stand people who are "blue."
(b) She says she was trying to decide between him and Gus.
(c) She says Pop told her to leave him alone.
(d) She says she only likes successful people.
7. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
(a) It gets stolen.
(b) It proves to be what helps Roy win.
(c) It splits in half.
(d) Pop takes it away from Roy.
8. What is Roy's reaction when The Judge shows up in his motel room?
(a) He is surprised because Memo had just left.
(b) He threatens to call the FBI.
(c) He cries and tells him he is afraid of losing Memo.
(d) He is afraid of The Judge.
9. What does Pop say in Chapter 10 that makes Roy's decision even harder?
(a) That he is entitled to win the pennant game and will then retire.
(b) That he knows Roy is a hero and above throwing a game.
(c) That he will tell Memo to now marry him if they lose.
(d) That he knows how good a player Roy is and is depending on him.
10. What reason does Roy give for not wanting to talk about his past?
(a) He said he really didn't have a very exciting past to talk about.
(b) He said he couldn't remember his past after the gunshot wound.
(c) He said it digs up too much pain.
(d) He said he was ashamed of his past.
11. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
(a) He eats until he gets sick and is sent to the hospital.
(b) He sees Pop at the party and gets into trouble for being up late.
(c) He meets a new girlfriend.
(d) He leaves early because he needs rest before the game.
12. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
(b) Red Blow.
13. Why does the lady tell Roy she stood up in the stands?
(a) She was going to leave the game.
(b) So she could see better.
(c) She was looking for Gus.
(d) To cheer him on because the world needs heroes.
14. What is Max Mercy fixated on?
(a) Getting Pop Fisher fired.
(b) Reporting baseball stats.
(c) Finding out Roy's story.
(d) The relationship between Memo and Roy.
15. What does Iris tell Roy he must do to be a true hero?
(a) She says he must be a man.
(b) She says he must practice every day.
(c) She says he must win the pennant for his team.
(d) She says he must marry and have children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What agreement does Roy make with The Judge?
2. Why does Roy decide Iris Lemon is not the girl he wants?
3. Who is the only person that Roy thinks really cares about him?
4. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
5. After Roy gets out of his slump, where do the fans say he belongs?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)