|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Roy react to the children among the fans?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He signs autographs for them.
(c) He encourages them to be heroes.
(d) He gives them special attention.
2. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
(a) Pop takes him out of the game.
(b) Memo gets mad at him.
(c) They lose the pennant game.
(d) Iris says he is not a hero at all.
3. What agreement does Roy make with The Judge?
(a) $50,000 to start his own company.
(b) $35,000 this year and $45,000 the next if they won the game.
(c) $35,000 this year and $45,000 the next to throw the game.
(d) They couldn't come to any agreement.
4. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
(a) All of the Knights players.
(b) The pitcher, Fowler.
(d) Red Blow.
5. Why does Roy decide Iris Lemon is not the girl he wants?
(a) She is a grandmother and he is not ready to be a grandfather.
(b) Pop encourages him to give her up and choose Memo.
(c) He can't quit thinking about Memo, so decides she is the one.
(d) She is fat and he likes thin girls like Memo.
6. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
(b) Red Blow.
7. What is the name of the lady in the red dress?
(a) Iris Lemon.
(b) Harriet Bird.
(c) Memo Paris.
(d) Victoria Youngberry.
8. Why is Roy so upset that most people bet on the Knights?
(a) Because he doesn't believe they can win.
(b) Because he wants all the attention.
(c) Because he doesn't believe in gambling.
(d) Because he plans to throw the game.
9. What does Roy do about the bribe he is offered to throw the game?
(a) He accepts the bribe and bets on the game.
(b) He accepts but later changes his mind.
(c) He reports The Judge to the FBI.
(d) He tells Memo and lets her know he is above that.
10. What is Roy's reaction when The Judge shows up in his motel room?
(a) He is surprised because Memo had just left.
(b) He threatens to call the FBI.
(c) He cries and tells him he is afraid of losing Memo.
(d) He is afraid of The Judge.
11. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
(a) She says Pop told her to leave him alone.
(b) She says she was trying to decide between him and Gus.
(c) She says she can't stand people who are "blue."
(d) She says she only likes successful people.
12. What does Roy do when Iris rejects him?
(a) Drives away in his car.
(b) Dives underwater for a long time.
(c) Begs her to reconsider.
(d) Gets angry and runs into the woods.
13. What does Roy say about Iris's appearance?
(a) Above the waist she is a girl and below the waist a woman.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman he has seen.
(c) She is not beautiful, but she supports him in baseball.
(d) She is too fat, but not too bad.
14. What does Roy think about his relationship with Memo when he is in his big slump?
(a) He thinks she doesn't like him anymore because he is playing poorly.
(b) He thinks she likes someone else.
(c) He is tired of her and wants the brunette.
(d) He knows she wants to get married as soon as possible.
15. What does Memo tell Roy when he proposes to her?
(a) That Pop has forbidden her to marry him.
(b) That she loves Gus.
(c) That she is afraid of being poor.
(d) That she doesn't love him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roy's great fear that drives all his motives?
2. What does Roy wish for when the team gets into a major slump?
3. Why does Memo tell Roy he should go see a fortune teller?
4. Who is the pitcher that strikes Roy out in the pennant game?
5. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)