|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy say about Iris's appearance?
(a) She is too fat, but not too bad.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman he has seen.
(c) Above the waist she is a girl and below the waist a woman.
(d) She is not beautiful, but she supports him in baseball.
2. How do the coaches and players deal with the teams slump?
(a) The coaches work with the players to get them playing better.
(b) The coaches yell at the players to try and get them to play better.
(c) They ignore the causes of their distress and try to fix the symptoms.
(d) They do some locker room cheers to get in a better mood.
3. What is Roy's reaction when The Judge shows up in his motel room?
(a) He is surprised because Memo had just left.
(b) He cries and tells him he is afraid of losing Memo.
(c) He is afraid of The Judge.
(d) He threatens to call the FBI.
4. What does Gus suggest in Memo's motel room that makes Roy so angry?
(a) He suggests that Roy is a sorry ball player.
(b) He suggests that Memo doesn't like him, but likes Max instead.
(c) He suggests that Roy is taking advantage of Memo.
(d) He suggests he can get him lots more money for throwing a game.
5. What is the reason Roy gets benched the second time (Chapter 6)?
(a) He strikes out too many times.
(b) He pitches too many balls and not many strikes.
(c) He gets drunk and stays out all night.
(d) He refuses to give up his bat, Wonderboy.
6. What offer did The Judge send Memo to tell Roy about?
(a) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise to throw the pennant game.
(b) The position of coach of the Knights.
(c) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise if they won the pennant game.
(d) Enough money to marry Memo if he would get Pop fired.
7. What does Memo tell Roy when he proposes to her?
(a) That she is afraid of being poor.
(b) That Pop has forbidden her to marry him.
(c) That she doesn't love him.
(d) That she loves Gus.
8. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
(d) Red Blow.
9. What does Iris encourage Roy to do?
(a) Sell out to Judge Banner.
(b) Stay in baseball one more year.
(c) Be a good influence on young boys.
(d) Try and get Pop fired.
10. What flaw does Roy think Memo has?
(a) She runs away from him all the time.
(b) She wants to have more than one man at a time.
(c) She is too fat.
(d) She is not the domestic type.
11. What happens when Roy sneaks out of the hospital and does some practice batting?
(a) Memo ridicules him.
(b) Pop helps him practice.
(c) He sees The Judge watching him.
(d) He passes out at the plate.
12. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
(a) Pop takes it away from Roy.
(b) It gets stolen.
(c) It proves to be what helps Roy win.
(d) It splits in half.
13. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
(a) A good retirement.
(b) Money and love, specifically Memo.
(c) A lifetime career in baseball.
(d) The respect of Pop.
14. What happens when Roy played cards in Memo's motel room?
(a) He loses a lot of money.
(b) He gets sick.
(c) He wins a large amount from Gus.
(d) He gets thrown out of the motel.
15. How does Roy react to the children among the fans?
(a) He gives them special attention.
(b) He encourages them to be heroes.
(c) He ignores them.
(d) He signs autographs for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
2. After Roy gets out of his slump, where do the fans say he belongs?
3. Who is the pitcher that strikes Roy out in the pennant game?
4. How does Roy feel when the fans began to cheer him on after he gets out of the slump?
5. What reason does Roy give for not wanting to talk about his past?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)