|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Roy's reaction after he finally reads Iris's letter?
(a) He shows it to The Judge for advice.
(b) He leaves Memo and returns to Iris.
(c) He shows it to Memo and laughs at Iris.
(d) He wads it up and throws it against the wall.
2. Who is the pitcher that strikes Roy out in the pennant game?
(a) Herman Youngberry.
(b) John Young.
(c) Ray Fowler.
(d) Red Blow.
3. When Roy visits a fortune teller, what does she tell him?
(a) That he will soon meet a beautiful brunette.
(b) That he will hit a homerun in his next game.
(c) That he and Memo will soon be married.
(d) That he will have a new team scout trying to recruit him.
4. What is wrong with Roy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) He broke his arm and can't pitch.
(b) He is depressed and in a slump.
(c) He got hurt in a wreck and can't play ball.
(d) He is sick and the doctors don't know what is wrong.
5. After Roy gets out of his slump, where do the fans say he belongs?
(a) Back in his small hometown.
(b) With the immortal players, the giants, the heroes.
(c) With Iris.
(d) With Memo.
6. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
(a) Iris says he is not a hero at all.
(b) Memo gets mad at him.
(c) They lose the pennant game.
(d) Pop takes him out of the game.
7. What does Memo tell Roy when he proposes to her?
(a) That she is afraid of being poor.
(b) That Pop has forbidden her to marry him.
(c) That she loves Gus.
(d) That she doesn't love him.
8. What happens to Roy after he leaves Iris and returns to Memo?
(a) He decides to leave all women alone.
(b) Memo rejects his romantic attempts.
(c) He misses Iris and returns to her.
(d) He and Memo get married.
9. What offer did The Judge send Memo to tell Roy about?
(a) The position of coach of the Knights.
(b) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise if they won the pennant game.
(c) Enough money to marry Memo if he would get Pop fired.
(d) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise to throw the pennant game.
10. How many games did the Knights win in a row?
11. What is the reason Roy gets benched the second time (Chapter 6)?
(a) He pitches too many balls and not many strikes.
(b) He gets drunk and stays out all night.
(c) He strikes out too many times.
(d) He refuses to give up his bat, Wonderboy.
12. When a man meets with Roy before a game, what does he request?
(a) That Roy use another bat beside Wonderboy.
(b) That Roy hit a homerun for his sick boy.
(c) That Roy throw the game so he will win his bet.
(d) That Roy autograph his son's bat.
13. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
(a) It splits in half.
(b) It proves to be what helps Roy win.
(c) It gets stolen.
(d) Pop takes it away from Roy.
14. How do the coaches and players deal with the teams slump?
(a) The coaches work with the players to get them playing better.
(b) They ignore the causes of their distress and try to fix the symptoms.
(c) The coaches yell at the players to try and get them to play better.
(d) They do some locker room cheers to get in a better mood.
15. What does Roy think he will gain when he becomes the best player ever and gets Memo?
(a) Lots of money.
(b) Lots of fame.
(c) The farm he has always wanted.
(d) Peace and happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Roy gets sick, what does he dream about?
2. How does Roy feel about Iris after he first meets her?
3. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
4. What happens when Roy sneaks out of the hospital and does some practice batting?
5. In making his decision whether or not to accept The Judge's offer, what is the one thing Roy considers?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)