|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many games did the Knights win in a row?
2. What flaw does Roy think Memo has?
(a) She is not the domestic type.
(b) She runs away from him all the time.
(c) She is too fat.
(d) She wants to have more than one man at a time.
3. What is Max Mercy fixated on?
(a) Finding out Roy's story.
(b) Getting Pop Fisher fired.
(c) Reporting baseball stats.
(d) The relationship between Memo and Roy.
4. What does Memo tell Roy when he proposes to her?
(a) That she loves Gus.
(b) That she is afraid of being poor.
(c) That Pop has forbidden her to marry him.
(d) That she doesn't love him.
5. After Roy gets out of his slump, where do the fans say he belongs?
(a) Back in his small hometown.
(b) With the immortal players, the giants, the heroes.
(c) With Iris.
(d) With Memo.
6. What is Roy's reaction after he finally reads Iris's letter?
(a) He leaves Memo and returns to Iris.
(b) He shows it to The Judge for advice.
(c) He shows it to Memo and laughs at Iris.
(d) He wads it up and throws it against the wall.
7. What advice does Red Blow, the trainer, give Roy when he is in his bad slump?
(a) To forget Memo and drop her.
(b) To get married to Memo and quit trying to impress her.
(c) To keep his fans in mind and try to please them.
(d) To consider what might be on his mind that is worrying him.
8. How does Roy feel about Iris after he first meets her?
(a) Disappointment that she is not Memo.
(b) He is disgusted at her appearance.
(c) He feels finally fulfilled.
(d) She becomes his new love.
9. Why does Roy decide Iris Lemon is not the girl he wants?
(a) He can't quit thinking about Memo, so decides she is the one.
(b) She is a grandmother and he is not ready to be a grandfather.
(c) She is fat and he likes thin girls like Memo.
(d) Pop encourages him to give her up and choose Memo.
10. What happens to Roy after he leaves Iris and returns to Memo?
(a) He misses Iris and returns to her.
(b) He decides to leave all women alone.
(c) Memo rejects his romantic attempts.
(d) He and Memo get married.
11. What happens after Roy makes an important decision during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) He asks Pop if he will give permission for him to marry Memo.
(b) He sees Gus and Memo together in the stands.
(c) He strikes out.
(d) He sees Iris in the stands and waves.
12. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
(a) He meets a new girlfriend.
(b) He eats until he gets sick and is sent to the hospital.
(c) He sees Pop at the party and gets into trouble for being up late.
(d) He leaves early because he needs rest before the game.
13. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
(c) Red Blow.
14. What does Iris tell Roy that repels him?
(a) That she snores when she sleeps.
(b) That she likes The Judge.
(c) That she likes Gus.
(d) That she is a grandmother.
15. Why can Memo not be the woman Roy needs?
(a) She is too absorbed in her own wants and desires.
(b) Roy doesn't love her.
(c) She is engaged to Bump.
(d) Pop forbids them to be together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy think he will gain when he becomes the best player ever and gets Memo?
2. What does Roy think about his relationship with Memo when he is in his big slump?
3. In making his decision whether or not to accept The Judge's offer, what is the one thing Roy considers?
4. What characteristics does Roy give to age?
5. Why is Roy so upset that most people bet on the Knights?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)