|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gus suggest in Memo's motel room that makes Roy so angry?
(a) He suggests that Roy is a sorry ball player.
(b) He suggests that Memo doesn't like him, but likes Max instead.
(c) He suggests he can get him lots more money for throwing a game.
(d) He suggests that Roy is taking advantage of Memo.
2. What does Pop say in Chapter 10 that makes Roy's decision even harder?
(a) That he knows how good a player Roy is and is depending on him.
(b) That he knows Roy is a hero and above throwing a game.
(c) That he will tell Memo to now marry him if they lose.
(d) That he is entitled to win the pennant game and will then retire.
3. How does Roy feel about Iris after he first meets her?
(a) He is disgusted at her appearance.
(b) Disappointment that she is not Memo.
(c) He feels finally fulfilled.
(d) She becomes his new love.
4. What ultimately brings about Roy's failure?
(a) His gambling on his games.
(b) His agreement to throw the pennant game.
(c) His focus only on being a superhero.
(d) His love of more than one woman at a time.
5. What is Roy's reaction when The Judge shows up in his motel room?
(a) He is surprised because Memo had just left.
(b) He threatens to call the FBI.
(c) He cries and tells him he is afraid of losing Memo.
(d) He is afraid of The Judge.
6. What decision does Roy make during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) To leave baseball forever.
(b) To leave Memo and go to Iris.
(c) To forget his bribe and play well.
(d) To ask Memo to marry him.
7. Who does Roy see in the stands while playing a game in Chicago?
(a) Fans that are cheering for him.
(b) A lady in a red dress standing and cheering for him.
(c) His father whom he hasn't seen in years.
(d) A baseball scout for another team.
8. What does Roy tell Memo about his mother?
(a) He said that she was the perfect mother and that he loved her very much.
(b) He said that she was a "whore" who spoiled his father's life.
(c) He said that she ran away when he was a teen and he was angry with her.
(d) He said that she died when he was a small toddler.
9. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
(a) A lifetime career in baseball.
(b) The respect of Pop.
(c) A good retirement.
(d) Money and love, specifically Memo.
10. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
(a) To get married to Memo.
(b) To leave Memo and forget her.
(c) To try and lose the next game so they can win their bet.
(d) To give up his favorite bat and get another.
11. What offer did The Judge send Memo to tell Roy about?
(a) The position of coach of the Knights.
(b) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise to throw the pennant game.
(c) Enough money to marry Memo if he would get Pop fired.
(d) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise if they won the pennant game.
12. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
(b) Red Blow.
13. Why does the lady tell Roy she stood up in the stands?
(a) She was going to leave the game.
(b) To cheer him on because the world needs heroes.
(c) She was looking for Gus.
(d) So she could see better.
14. What does Roy do to get even with Max Mercy?
(a) He tells Pop Fisher a lie about Max and gets him thrown out of the stadium.
(b) He breaks up his relationship with Memo.
(c) He pretends to be a German waiter and spills stuff all over Max.
(d) He hits him with his baseball bat.
15. What happens when Roy sneaks out of the hospital and does some practice batting?
(a) He passes out at the plate.
(b) He sees The Judge watching him.
(c) Memo ridicules him.
(d) Pop helps him practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Roy give for not wanting to talk about his past?
2. What does Roy decide to do to try and change his luck?
3. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
4. What does Roy need that only Iris seems to understand?
5. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)