|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What agreement does Roy make with The Judge?
(a) $35,000 this year and $45,000 the next to throw the game.
(b) $35,000 this year and $45,000 the next if they won the game.
(c) They couldn't come to any agreement.
(d) $50,000 to start his own company.
2. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
(a) To get married to Memo.
(b) To leave Memo and forget her.
(c) To give up his favorite bat and get another.
(d) To try and lose the next game so they can win their bet.
3. What ultimately brings about Roy's failure?
(a) His agreement to throw the pennant game.
(b) His focus only on being a superhero.
(c) His gambling on his games.
(d) His love of more than one woman at a time.
4. What happens when Roy played cards in Memo's motel room?
(a) He wins a large amount from Gus.
(b) He gets sick.
(c) He loses a lot of money.
(d) He gets thrown out of the motel.
5. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
(a) Money and love, specifically Memo.
(b) A lifetime career in baseball.
(c) A good retirement.
(d) The respect of Pop.
6. Who does Roy see in the stands while playing a game in Chicago?
(a) His father whom he hasn't seen in years.
(b) A baseball scout for another team.
(c) Fans that are cheering for him.
(d) A lady in a red dress standing and cheering for him.
7. What is the reason Roy gets benched the second time (Chapter 6)?
(a) He strikes out too many times.
(b) He gets drunk and stays out all night.
(c) He refuses to give up his bat, Wonderboy.
(d) He pitches too many balls and not many strikes.
8. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
(b) Red Blow.
(c) The pitcher, Fowler.
(d) All of the Knights players.
9. What does Roy hope will happen to him after he agrees to throw the game?
(a) That he won't be able to hit well.
(b) That he will be benched for the whole game.
(c) That he will get a home run.
(d) That Iris will be there to watch him.
10. What advice does Memo give Roy to assuage his depression?
(a) To get married to her and let her take care of him.
(b) To go back home and visit his family.
(c) To forget about baseball forever.
(d) To go to a fortune teller.
11. When Roy visits a fortune teller, what does she tell him?
(a) That he will have a new team scout trying to recruit him.
(b) That he will hit a homerun in his next game.
(c) That he and Memo will soon be married.
(d) That he will soon meet a beautiful brunette.
12. What decision does Roy make during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) To leave baseball forever.
(b) To leave Memo and go to Iris.
(c) To forget his bribe and play well.
(d) To ask Memo to marry him.
13. What advice does Red Blow, the trainer, give Roy when he is in his bad slump?
(a) To consider what might be on his mind that is worrying him.
(b) To keep his fans in mind and try to please them.
(c) To get married to Memo and quit trying to impress her.
(d) To forget Memo and drop her.
14. What does the doctor tell Roy when he is in the hospital?
(a) That he is strong enough to play ball in the game.
(b) That he needs to stop eating so much.
(c) That he doesn't think he will be able to win.
(d) To stay away from baseball if he wants to live.
15. What does Roy think about his ability to play after his stay in the hospital?
(a) He is sure he is well enough to play.
(b) He thinks he is out of his slump.
(c) He thinks he can't even hit the ball.
(d) He is afraid he will pass out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Memo to Roy's motel room?
2. What does Iris tell Roy that repels him?
3. What does Roy do when Iris rejects him?
4. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
5. How does Roy feel about Iris after he first meets her?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)