|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy hope will happen to him after he agrees to throw the game?
(a) That he will get a home run.
(b) That he will be benched for the whole game.
(c) That Iris will be there to watch him.
(d) That he won't be able to hit well.
2. What characteristics does Roy give to age?
(a) The end of his baseball career.
(b) Loss of beauty, life, success, and wealth.
(c) Achievement of success and wealth.
(d) Wisdom and honor.
3. What happens after Roy makes an important decision during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) He strikes out.
(b) He asks Pop if he will give permission for him to marry Memo.
(c) He sees Iris in the stands and waves.
(d) He sees Gus and Memo together in the stands.
4. When Roy goes to see Memo at her motel room on the night before the pennant game, who is there with her?
(c) Red Blow.
5. In the league, What position do the Knights fall in?
6. Who does Roy see in the stands while playing a game in Chicago?
(a) Fans that are cheering for him.
(b) A baseball scout for another team.
(c) A lady in a red dress standing and cheering for him.
(d) His father whom he hasn't seen in years.
7. Why does Roy decide Iris Lemon is not the girl he wants?
(a) He can't quit thinking about Memo, so decides she is the one.
(b) Pop encourages him to give her up and choose Memo.
(c) She is a grandmother and he is not ready to be a grandfather.
(d) She is fat and he likes thin girls like Memo.
8. Who sends Memo to Roy's motel room?
(a) The Judge.
9. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
(a) He sees Pop at the party and gets into trouble for being up late.
(b) He eats until he gets sick and is sent to the hospital.
(c) He meets a new girlfriend.
(d) He leaves early because he needs rest before the game.
10. Who does Roy visit when he becomes depressed?
(b) A fortune teller.
(c) His family.
(d) Max Mercy.
11. What does Roy do about the bribe he is offered to throw the game?
(a) He tells Memo and lets her know he is above that.
(b) He reports The Judge to the FBI.
(c) He accepts the bribe and bets on the game.
(d) He accepts but later changes his mind.
12. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
(a) They turn on him.
(b) They cheer him on to encourage him.
(c) They cheer the other players and boo Roy.
(d) They don't treat him any differently because they know he will do better.
13. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
(b) Red Blow.
(c) All of the Knights players.
(d) The pitcher, Fowler.
14. What does Iris say is the only way to find happiness?
(a) Through suffering.
(b) Through success at baseball.
(c) Through hard work.
(d) Through friends.
15. What flaw does Roy think Memo has?
(a) She runs away from him all the time.
(b) She is not the domestic type.
(c) She wants to have more than one man at a time.
(d) She is too fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
2. Why can Memo not be the woman Roy needs?
3. Who is the pitcher that strikes Roy out in the pennant game?
4. Why is Roy so upset that most people bet on the Knights?
5. How do the coaches and players deal with the teams slump?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)