|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
(a) He leaves early because he needs rest before the game.
(b) He sees Pop at the party and gets into trouble for being up late.
(c) He meets a new girlfriend.
(d) He eats until he gets sick and is sent to the hospital.
2. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
(a) All of the Knights players.
(b) The pitcher, Fowler.
(c) Red Blow.
3. What does Iris tell Roy he must do to be a true hero?
(a) She says he must be a man.
(b) She says he must practice every day.
(c) She says he must win the pennant for his team.
(d) She says he must marry and have children.
4. What is the name of the lady in the red dress?
(a) Iris Lemon.
(b) Victoria Youngberry.
(c) Harriet Bird.
(d) Memo Paris.
5. Why does Roy decide Iris Lemon is not the girl he wants?
(a) Pop encourages him to give her up and choose Memo.
(b) She is fat and he likes thin girls like Memo.
(c) She is a grandmother and he is not ready to be a grandfather.
(d) He can't quit thinking about Memo, so decides she is the one.
6. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
(a) They cheer the other players and boo Roy.
(b) They cheer him on to encourage him.
(c) They don't treat him any differently because they know he will do better.
(d) They turn on him.
7. What decision does Roy make during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) To forget his bribe and play well.
(b) To leave baseball forever.
(c) To leave Memo and go to Iris.
(d) To ask Memo to marry him.
8. What characteristics does Roy give to age?
(a) Loss of beauty, life, success, and wealth.
(b) The end of his baseball career.
(c) Achievement of success and wealth.
(d) Wisdom and honor.
9. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
(a) To get married to Memo.
(b) To give up his favorite bat and get another.
(c) To leave Memo and forget her.
(d) To try and lose the next game so they can win their bet.
10. What does the doctor tell Roy when he is in the hospital?
(a) That he needs to stop eating so much.
(b) That he is strong enough to play ball in the game.
(c) That he doesn't think he will be able to win.
(d) To stay away from baseball if he wants to live.
11. What does Roy say about Iris's appearance?
(a) She is the most beautiful woman he has seen.
(b) She is too fat, but not too bad.
(c) She is not beautiful, but she supports him in baseball.
(d) Above the waist she is a girl and below the waist a woman.
12. What is Max Mercy fixated on?
(a) Finding out Roy's story.
(b) Reporting baseball stats.
(c) Getting Pop Fisher fired.
(d) The relationship between Memo and Roy.
13. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
(a) It gets stolen.
(b) Pop takes it away from Roy.
(c) It splits in half.
(d) It proves to be what helps Roy win.
14. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
(a) Iris says he is not a hero at all.
(b) Memo gets mad at him.
(c) Pop takes him out of the game.
(d) They lose the pennant game.
15. How does Roy feel when the fans began to cheer him on after he gets out of the slump?
(a) He feels like a hero and the best ballplayer ever.
(b) He remembers how they treated him when he was in a slump.
(c) He doesn't care about them and hardly notices them.
(d) He is afraid they will turn on him because of his gambling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the lady tell Roy she stood up in the stands?
2. What flaw does Roy think Memo has?
3. Why is Roy so upset that most people bet on the Knights?
4. What does Roy hope will happen to him after he agrees to throw the game?
5. How does Roy feel about Iris after he first meets her?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)