|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
(a) He sees Pop at the party and gets into trouble for being up late.
(b) He meets a new girlfriend.
(c) He eats until he gets sick and is sent to the hospital.
(d) He leaves early because he needs rest before the game.
2. What does Roy think about his relationship with Memo when he is in his big slump?
(a) He thinks she likes someone else.
(b) He thinks she doesn't like him anymore because he is playing poorly.
(c) He is tired of her and wants the brunette.
(d) He knows she wants to get married as soon as possible.
3. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
(a) Pop takes it away from Roy.
(b) It proves to be what helps Roy win.
(c) It splits in half.
(d) It gets stolen.
4. What happens when Roy played cards in Memo's motel room?
(a) He wins a large amount from Gus.
(b) He gets sick.
(c) He loses a lot of money.
(d) He gets thrown out of the motel.
5. What does Iris tell Roy when he accidentally hits her with a foul ball that goes into the stands?
(a) That she thinks he did it on purpose.
(b) That she knows it was an accident.
(c) That she is pregnant with his child.
(d) That he needs to straighten his hit out and it will be a home run.
6. What reason does Roy give for not wanting to talk about his past?
(a) He said he was ashamed of his past.
(b) He said he couldn't remember his past after the gunshot wound.
(c) He said he really didn't have a very exciting past to talk about.
(d) He said it digs up too much pain.
7. What does Iris tell Roy that is almost identical to what Harriet Bird told him?
(a) He is a great hero.
(b) He is a handsome man.
(c) They both declared their love for him.
(d) There is more to life than baseball.
8. What does Pop say in Chapter 10 that makes Roy's decision even harder?
(a) That he knows how good a player Roy is and is depending on him.
(b) That he will tell Memo to now marry him if they lose.
(c) That he is entitled to win the pennant game and will then retire.
(d) That he knows Roy is a hero and above throwing a game.
9. What does Gus suggest in Memo's motel room that makes Roy so angry?
(a) He suggests he can get him lots more money for throwing a game.
(b) He suggests that Memo doesn't like him, but likes Max instead.
(c) He suggests that Roy is a sorry ball player.
(d) He suggests that Roy is taking advantage of Memo.
10. What does Roy say about Iris's appearance?
(a) She is the most beautiful woman he has seen.
(b) She is too fat, but not too bad.
(c) Above the waist she is a girl and below the waist a woman.
(d) She is not beautiful, but she supports him in baseball.
11. How does Roy feel when the fans began to cheer him on after he gets out of the slump?
(a) He feels like a hero and the best ballplayer ever.
(b) He doesn't care about them and hardly notices them.
(c) He is afraid they will turn on him because of his gambling.
(d) He remembers how they treated him when he was in a slump.
12. When a man meets with Roy before a game, what does he request?
(a) That Roy throw the game so he will win his bet.
(b) That Roy use another bat beside Wonderboy.
(c) That Roy autograph his son's bat.
(d) That Roy hit a homerun for his sick boy.
13. What does Roy tell Memo about his mother?
(a) He said that she died when he was a small toddler.
(b) He said that she was the perfect mother and that he loved her very much.
(c) He said that she ran away when he was a teen and he was angry with her.
(d) He said that she was a "whore" who spoiled his father's life.
14. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
(a) They cheer him on to encourage him.
(b) They don't treat him any differently because they know he will do better.
(c) They cheer the other players and boo Roy.
(d) They turn on him.
15. What decision does Roy make during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) To leave baseball forever.
(b) To forget his bribe and play well.
(c) To leave Memo and go to Iris.
(d) To ask Memo to marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What agreement does Roy make with The Judge?
2. After Roy gets sick, what does he dream about?
3. What does Roy do when Iris rejects him?
4. What happens to Roy after he leaves Iris and returns to Memo?
5. Why does Roy decide Iris Lemon is not the girl he wants?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)