|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason Roy gets benched the second time (Chapter 6)?
(a) He strikes out too many times.
(b) He refuses to give up his bat, Wonderboy.
(c) He pitches too many balls and not many strikes.
(d) He gets drunk and stays out all night.
2. What is Roy's reaction after he finally reads Iris's letter?
(a) He shows it to Memo and laughs at Iris.
(b) He shows it to The Judge for advice.
(c) He wads it up and throws it against the wall.
(d) He leaves Memo and returns to Iris.
3. What flaw does Roy think Memo has?
(a) She wants to have more than one man at a time.
(b) She runs away from him all the time.
(c) She is not the domestic type.
(d) She is too fat.
4. Who does Roy see in the stands while playing a game in Chicago?
(a) Fans that are cheering for him.
(b) A lady in a red dress standing and cheering for him.
(c) His father whom he hasn't seen in years.
(d) A baseball scout for another team.
5. How does Roy react to the children among the fans?
(a) He encourages them to be heroes.
(b) He gives them special attention.
(c) He ignores them.
(d) He signs autographs for them.
6. What is wrong with Roy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) He is depressed and in a slump.
(b) He is sick and the doctors don't know what is wrong.
(c) He got hurt in a wreck and can't play ball.
(d) He broke his arm and can't pitch.
7. What does Roy need that only Iris seems to understand?
(a) To have a father figure in his life.
(b) To be the all-time baseball hero.
(c) To be morally as good as he is as a baseball player.
(d) To go back home to family.
8. What happens to the relationship between Memo and Roy during his slump?
(a) Roy finds another girlfriend.
(b) Memo is no longer interested in him but Roy still desires her.
(c) Their relationship only gets stronger because they love each other.
(d) Memo is very interested in Roy but he ignores her.
9. What does Roy decide to do to try and change his luck?
(a) Turn his socks inside out and eat less meat.
(b) Get some extra coaching on the side.
(c) Say a prayer before playing each game.
(d) Carry a lucky rabbit's foot.
10. What is the name of the lady in the red dress?
(a) Harriet Bird.
(b) Iris Lemon.
(c) Memo Paris.
(d) Victoria Youngberry.
11. What does Iris tell Roy that is almost identical to what Harriet Bird told him?
(a) There is more to life than baseball.
(b) He is a great hero.
(c) He is a handsome man.
(d) They both declared their love for him.
12. In making his decision whether or not to accept The Judge's offer, what is the one thing Roy considers?
(a) If it was really wrong or not.
(b) What Iris would think of him if he did accept it.
(c) If doing so would help him win Memo.
(d) If he could maybe get more money from The Judge.
13. What does Roy tell Memo about his mother?
(a) He said that she was the perfect mother and that he loved her very much.
(b) He said that she died when he was a small toddler.
(c) He said that she ran away when he was a teen and he was angry with her.
(d) He said that she was a "whore" who spoiled his father's life.
14. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
(a) Money and love, specifically Memo.
(b) A good retirement.
(c) The respect of Pop.
(d) A lifetime career in baseball.
15. Who is the only person that Roy thinks really cares about him?
(b) His family who his hasn't seen in several years.
(c) The brunette in the red dress that stands in the bleachers.
(d) His first coach and trainer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Memo not be the woman Roy needs?
2. What does Roy say about Iris's appearance?
3. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
4. When Roy visits a fortune teller, what does she tell him?
5. What advice does Red Blow, the trainer, give Roy when he is in his bad slump?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)