|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What agreement does Roy make with The Judge?
(a) $35,000 this year and $45,000 the next to throw the game.
(b) They couldn't come to any agreement.
(c) $35,000 this year and $45,000 the next if they won the game.
(d) $50,000 to start his own company.
2. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
(a) They lose the pennant game.
(b) Memo gets mad at him.
(c) Iris says he is not a hero at all.
(d) Pop takes him out of the game.
3. What does the doctor tell Roy when he is in the hospital?
(a) That he needs to stop eating so much.
(b) That he is strong enough to play ball in the game.
(c) To stay away from baseball if he wants to live.
(d) That he doesn't think he will be able to win.
4. After Roy gets out of his slump, where do the fans say he belongs?
(a) With Iris.
(b) Back in his small hometown.
(c) With Memo.
(d) With the immortal players, the giants, the heroes.
5. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
(a) Red Blow.
(b) All of the Knights players.
(c) The pitcher, Fowler.
6. Who does Roy see in the stands while playing a game in Chicago?
(a) A baseball scout for another team.
(b) A lady in a red dress standing and cheering for him.
(c) His father whom he hasn't seen in years.
(d) Fans that are cheering for him.
7. When a man meets with Roy before a game, what does he request?
(a) That Roy autograph his son's bat.
(b) That Roy use another bat beside Wonderboy.
(c) That Roy throw the game so he will win his bet.
(d) That Roy hit a homerun for his sick boy.
8. What does Memo tell Roy when he proposes to her?
(a) That she loves Gus.
(b) That she is afraid of being poor.
(c) That Pop has forbidden her to marry him.
(d) That she doesn't love him.
9. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
(a) It splits in half.
(b) It proves to be what helps Roy win.
(c) Pop takes it away from Roy.
(d) It gets stolen.
10. How do the fans treat Roy when he gets into a playing slump?
(a) They cheer the other players and boo Roy.
(b) They don't treat him any differently because they know he will do better.
(c) They cheer him on to encourage him.
(d) They turn on him.
11. What does Iris tell Roy that is almost identical to what Harriet Bird told him?
(a) He is a handsome man.
(b) There is more to life than baseball.
(c) He is a great hero.
(d) They both declared their love for him.
12. What does Roy decide to do to try and change his luck?
(a) Get some extra coaching on the side.
(b) Say a prayer before playing each game.
(c) Turn his socks inside out and eat less meat.
(d) Carry a lucky rabbit's foot.
13. What happens when Roy played cards in Memo's motel room?
(a) He gets sick.
(b) He wins a large amount from Gus.
(c) He loses a lot of money.
(d) He gets thrown out of the motel.
14. What happens when Roy sneaks out of the hospital and does some practice batting?
(a) Pop helps him practice.
(b) He passes out at the plate.
(c) Memo ridicules him.
(d) He sees The Judge watching him.
15. What happens to the Pirates' starting pitcher that pits Roy against a new pitcher?
(a) The Ump throws him out for bad behavior.
(b) He gets in a fight and gets thrown out of the game.
(c) He walks too many players and gets pulled out.
(d) He faints.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the coaches and players deal with the teams slump?
2. What does Pop say in Chapter 10 that makes Roy's decision even harder?
3. Who sends Memo to Roy's motel room?
4. Why does Memo tell Roy he should go see a fortune teller?
5. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)