|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy do about the bribe he is offered to throw the game?
(a) He tells Memo and lets her know he is above that.
(b) He accepts but later changes his mind.
(c) He reports The Judge to the FBI.
(d) He accepts the bribe and bets on the game.
2. How does Roy feel when the fans began to cheer him on after he gets out of the slump?
(a) He is afraid they will turn on him because of his gambling.
(b) He doesn't care about them and hardly notices them.
(c) He remembers how they treated him when he was in a slump.
(d) He feels like a hero and the best ballplayer ever.
3. What does Roy decide to do to try and change his luck?
(a) Say a prayer before playing each game.
(b) Carry a lucky rabbit's foot.
(c) Get some extra coaching on the side.
(d) Turn his socks inside out and eat less meat.
4. Why does Memo tell Roy he should go see a fortune teller?
(a) Because Bump went to one.
(b) To find out what Roy needs to do to get over his slump.
(c) To find out if they will win the next game.
(d) To find out if they are meant for each other.
5. What does Iris say is the only way to find happiness?
(a) Through friends.
(b) Through hard work.
(c) Through success at baseball.
(d) Through suffering.
6. What does Iris tell Roy he must do to be a true hero?
(a) She says he must be a man.
(b) She says he must marry and have children.
(c) She says he must win the pennant for his team.
(d) She says he must practice every day.
7. How does Roy react to the children among the fans?
(a) He gives them special attention.
(b) He signs autographs for them.
(c) He encourages them to be heroes.
(d) He ignores them.
8. What happens to Roy at the party on the night before the game that determines the winner of the pennant?
(a) He leaves early because he needs rest before the game.
(b) He sees Pop at the party and gets into trouble for being up late.
(c) He meets a new girlfriend.
(d) He eats until he gets sick and is sent to the hospital.
9. What does Roy think about his ability to play after his stay in the hospital?
(a) He is afraid he will pass out.
(b) He thinks he can't even hit the ball.
(c) He is sure he is well enough to play.
(d) He thinks he is out of his slump.
10. What does Roy think about his relationship with Memo when he is in his big slump?
(a) He is tired of her and wants the brunette.
(b) He thinks she doesn't like him anymore because he is playing poorly.
(c) He thinks she likes someone else.
(d) He knows she wants to get married as soon as possible.
11. What happens to the relationship between Memo and Roy during his slump?
(a) Their relationship only gets stronger because they love each other.
(b) Memo is very interested in Roy but he ignores her.
(c) Memo is no longer interested in him but Roy still desires her.
(d) Roy finds another girlfriend.
12. What characteristics does Roy give to age?
(a) Wisdom and honor.
(b) Achievement of success and wealth.
(c) Loss of beauty, life, success, and wealth.
(d) The end of his baseball career.
13. What is he referring to when The Judge lectures Roy on the Biblical tale of the dog returning to its own vomit?
(a) That Roy keeps coming back to baseball.
(b) That Roy constantly eats until he gets sick.
(c) That Roy continues to return to his old mistakes.
(d) That Roy is stupid like a dog.
14. In what way does Roy treat Memo and Iris the same?
(a) He bought both of them lavish gifts.
(b) He got angry and gave both a black eye.
(c) He told both his life story.
(d) He treated them both like objects, not people.
15. What does Iris tell Roy that is almost identical to what Harriet Bird told him?
(a) There is more to life than baseball.
(b) They both declared their love for him.
(c) He is a handsome man.
(d) He is a great hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roy decide Iris Lemon is not the girl he wants?
2. What offer did The Judge send Memo to tell Roy about?
3. What does Roy do to get even with Max Mercy?
4. What does Roy do when Iris rejects him?
5. What does Iris tell Roy when he accidentally hits her with a foul ball that goes into the stands?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)