|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Roy see in the stands while playing a game in Chicago?
(a) A lady in a red dress standing and cheering for him.
(b) His father whom he hasn't seen in years.
(c) A baseball scout for another team.
(d) Fans that are cheering for him.
2. What happens to Roy's bat, Wonderboy, during the last game of the season?
(a) Pop takes it away from Roy.
(b) It splits in half.
(c) It proves to be what helps Roy win.
(d) It gets stolen.
3. What advice does Red Blow, the trainer, give Roy when he is in his bad slump?
(a) To forget Memo and drop her.
(b) To consider what might be on his mind that is worrying him.
(c) To get married to Memo and quit trying to impress her.
(d) To keep his fans in mind and try to please them.
4. What does Pop say in Chapter 10 that makes Roy's decision even harder?
(a) That he is entitled to win the pennant game and will then retire.
(b) That he will tell Memo to now marry him if they lose.
(c) That he knows Roy is a hero and above throwing a game.
(d) That he knows how good a player Roy is and is depending on him.
5. What decision does Roy make during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) To leave baseball forever.
(b) To ask Memo to marry him.
(c) To forget his bribe and play well.
(d) To leave Memo and go to Iris.
6. What does Roy do to get even with Max Mercy?
(a) He breaks up his relationship with Memo.
(b) He tells Pop Fisher a lie about Max and gets him thrown out of the stadium.
(c) He hits him with his baseball bat.
(d) He pretends to be a German waiter and spills stuff all over Max.
7. Who does Roy visit when he becomes depressed?
(b) Max Mercy.
(c) His family.
(d) A fortune teller.
8. What flaw does Roy think Memo has?
(a) She is too fat.
(b) She runs away from him all the time.
(c) She wants to have more than one man at a time.
(d) She is not the domestic type.
9. What offer did The Judge send Memo to tell Roy about?
(a) Enough money to marry Memo if he would get Pop fired.
(b) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise if they won the pennant game.
(c) The position of coach of the Knights.
(d) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise to throw the pennant game.
10. Who is the pitcher that strikes Roy out in the pennant game?
(a) Red Blow.
(b) Ray Fowler.
(c) John Young.
(d) Herman Youngberry.
11. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
(a) Money and love, specifically Memo.
(b) A good retirement.
(c) A lifetime career in baseball.
(d) The respect of Pop.
12. How does Roy react to the children among the fans?
(a) He gives them special attention.
(b) He encourages them to be heroes.
(c) He ignores them.
(d) He signs autographs for them.
13. How many games did the Knights win in a row?
14. What does Iris tell Roy that repels him?
(a) That she likes Gus.
(b) That she snores when she sleeps.
(c) That she likes The Judge.
(d) That she is a grandmother.
15. What does Roy hope will happen to him after he agrees to throw the game?
(a) That Iris will be there to watch him.
(b) That he will be benched for the whole game.
(c) That he won't be able to hit well.
(d) That he will get a home run.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy think he will gain when he becomes the best player ever and gets Memo?
2. What does Iris say is the only way to find happiness?
3. What happens to the relationship between Memo and Roy during his slump?
4. After Roy gets out of his slump, where do the fans say he belongs?
5. What advice does Memo give Roy to assuage his depression?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)