|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Iris tell Roy that repels him?
(a) That she likes The Judge.
(b) That she is a grandmother.
(c) That she snores when she sleeps.
(d) That she likes Gus.
2. What offer did The Judge send Memo to tell Roy about?
(a) Enough money to marry Memo if he would get Pop fired.
(b) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise to throw the pennant game.
(c) Twenty-five thousand dollars and a raise if they won the pennant game.
(d) The position of coach of the Knights.
3. What happens when Roy sneaks out of the hospital and does some practice batting?
(a) He passes out at the plate.
(b) Pop helps him practice.
(c) He sees The Judge watching him.
(d) Memo ridicules him.
4. What does Roy tell Memo about his mother?
(a) He said that she was the perfect mother and that he loved her very much.
(b) He said that she died when he was a small toddler.
(c) He said that she was a "whore" who spoiled his father's life.
(d) He said that she ran away when he was a teen and he was angry with her.
5. Who sends Memo to Roy's motel room?
(a) The Judge.
6. What decision does Roy make during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) To ask Memo to marry him.
(b) To leave Memo and go to Iris.
(c) To leave baseball forever.
(d) To forget his bribe and play well.
7. In the league, What position do the Knights fall in?
8. Who does Roy visit when he becomes depressed?
(a) His family.
(b) A fortune teller.
(d) Max Mercy.
9. Why does the lady tell Roy she stood up in the stands?
(a) She was looking for Gus.
(b) She was going to leave the game.
(c) So she could see better.
(d) To cheer him on because the world needs heroes.
10. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
(a) To leave Memo and forget her.
(b) To try and lose the next game so they can win their bet.
(c) To give up his favorite bat and get another.
(d) To get married to Memo.
11. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
(a) A good retirement.
(b) The respect of Pop.
(c) A lifetime career in baseball.
(d) Money and love, specifically Memo.
12. What characteristics does Roy give to age?
(a) Loss of beauty, life, success, and wealth.
(b) The end of his baseball career.
(c) Achievement of success and wealth.
(d) Wisdom and honor.
13. What is Roy's great fear that drives all his motives?
(a) Being booed by fans.
(b) Lack of love.
(c) Being injured while playing baseball.
(d) Death and mortality.
14. In making his decision whether or not to accept The Judge's offer, what is the one thing Roy considers?
(a) If it was really wrong or not.
(b) If he could maybe get more money from The Judge.
(c) If doing so would help him win Memo.
(d) What Iris would think of him if he did accept it.
15. What happens after Roy makes an important decision during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) He asks Pop if he will give permission for him to marry Memo.
(b) He sees Gus and Memo together in the stands.
(c) He sees Iris in the stands and waves.
(d) He strikes out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy wish for when the team gets into a major slump?
2. What advice does Memo give Roy to assuage his depression?
3. Why does Memo tell Roy he should go see a fortune teller?
4. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
5. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)