|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Iris tell Roy that repels him?
(a) That she snores when she sleeps.
(b) That she is a grandmother.
(c) That she likes Gus.
(d) That she likes The Judge.
2. What is the name of the lady in the red dress?
(a) Victoria Youngberry.
(b) Memo Paris.
(c) Harriet Bird.
(d) Iris Lemon.
3. How does Roy feel when the fans began to cheer him on after he gets out of the slump?
(a) He doesn't care about them and hardly notices them.
(b) He remembers how they treated him when he was in a slump.
(c) He feels like a hero and the best ballplayer ever.
(d) He is afraid they will turn on him because of his gambling.
4. What does Roy hope to gain by becoming a superhero, the best ball player ever?
(a) Money and love, specifically Memo.
(b) A lifetime career in baseball.
(c) A good retirement.
(d) The respect of Pop.
5. Who does Roy think is trying to throw the game because he plays so poorly?
(a) Red Blow.
(b) All of the Knights players.
(c) The pitcher, Fowler.
6. In the league, What position do the Knights fall in?
7. What does Iris tell Roy when he accidentally hits her with a foul ball that goes into the stands?
(a) That she thinks he did it on purpose.
(b) That she is pregnant with his child.
(c) That he needs to straighten his hit out and it will be a home run.
(d) That she knows it was an accident.
8. What does Roy think about his relationship with Memo when he is in his big slump?
(a) He thinks she doesn't like him anymore because he is playing poorly.
(b) He knows she wants to get married as soon as possible.
(c) He is tired of her and wants the brunette.
(d) He thinks she likes someone else.
9. What is the result of Roy's striking out?
(a) They lose the pennant game.
(b) Iris says he is not a hero at all.
(c) Pop takes him out of the game.
(d) Memo gets mad at him.
10. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
(a) She says she only likes successful people.
(b) She says she was trying to decide between him and Gus.
(c) She says she can't stand people who are "blue."
(d) She says Pop told her to leave him alone.
11. What does Iris tell Roy that is almost identical to what Harriet Bird told him?
(a) They both declared their love for him.
(b) He is a great hero.
(c) There is more to life than baseball.
(d) He is a handsome man.
12. When Roy visits a fortune teller, what does she tell him?
(a) That he and Memo will soon be married.
(b) That he will soon meet a beautiful brunette.
(c) That he will hit a homerun in his next game.
(d) That he will have a new team scout trying to recruit him.
13. What agreement does Roy make with The Judge?
(a) $35,000 this year and $45,000 the next to throw the game.
(b) $50,000 to start his own company.
(c) $35,000 this year and $45,000 the next if they won the game.
(d) They couldn't come to any agreement.
14. Who sends Memo to Roy's motel room?
(b) The Judge.
15. What decision does Roy make during the last inning of the pennant game?
(a) To forget his bribe and play well.
(b) To leave baseball forever.
(c) To ask Memo to marry him.
(d) To leave Memo and go to Iris.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roy feel about Iris after he first meets her?
2. What does Roy think about his ability to play after his stay in the hospital?
3. Who does Roy visit when he becomes depressed?
4. When a man meets with Roy before a game, what does he request?
5. What is he referring to when The Judge lectures Roy on the Biblical tale of the dog returning to its own vomit?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)