|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pop dislike Bump Bailey?
(a) Because Bump threw a major game.
(b) Because of his locker room jokes and his love of Pop's niece.
(c) Because Bump wants his coaching job.
(d) Because Bump can't play well.
2. What happens when Pop lets Roy pitch in Bump's place?
(a) Bump tries to be a hero and fractures his skull at the wall trying to catch a ball.
(b) Bump helps Roy by practicing pitching with him, but gets hurt during the practice.
(c) Bump tries to destroy Roy's reputation as a baseball player.
(d) Bump cheers Roy on even though he knows he has lost his pitching position.
3. How does Harriet respond to Roy when he makes romantic advances toward her?
(a) She reacts coldly.
(b) She slaps his face.
(c) She goes and gets the conductor to throw him out.
(d) She is very tender and warm toward him.
4. How does Pop react to the almost magical quality of Roy's Wonderboy during the first game in which Roy gets to hit?
(a) He tells Roy is it not legal size and weight, but use it if he can get away with it.
(b) He is afraid the fact that it is homemade might cause it to not be accurate.
(c) He forbids Roy to use it and demands he use the bat chosen by Pop.
(d) He becomes optimistic about the team's chances of a win.
5. When Memo fails to accept Roy as her new boyfriend, what does he decide will win her over?
(a) He decides that pitching a winning game will win her over.
(b) He decides taking her out and showing her a good time will win her love.
(c) He decides more money will win her love.
(d) He decides that dressing better will get her attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Pop give Roy to help him get out of the slump?
2. When Red Blow tells Pop that Roy is a "natural" what does that indicate?
3. What happens when Roy meets Gus?
4. What promise does Roy make to Red after he tell him about "Fisher's Flop"?
5. What excuse does Memo give for shunning Roy when he was in his slump?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)