|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Harriet respond when Roy says he wants to be the best baseball player ever?
(a) She cheers him on.
(b) She ridicules him for his frivilous ambitions.
(c) She reassures him that she knows he will be.
(d) She shoots him.
2. Why is Roy so good at baseball?
(a) He had practiced with his father when he was young.
(b) He has natural talent in the sport.
(c) He has trained with "The Whammer."
(d) Sam drills him daily in how to play well.
3. What happens at the carnival when the train stops there?
(a) Roy gets a job as a "hawker."
(b) The passengers on the train eat at a concession booth.
(c) Roy and Sam stop and play some carnival games.
(d) Roy strikes out the "Whammer."
4. What two things does Roy find out about Red that makes him think the team needs his help?
(a) His age (old) and the fact he has never won a game.
(b) His sexual escapades and his laziness.
(c) His zest for the game and his loyalty to the team.
(d) His need for a winning game and his respect for Roy.
5. What does Sam dream that foretells what will happen to him?
(a) He dreams Roy was shot.
(b) He dreams he wins the Most Valuable Player Award.
(c) He dreams he is a famous sportswriter.
(d) He dreams he was stabbed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake did Pop make that Red tells Roy about?
2. Who signs the contract for Roy Hobbs to play for the Knights?
3. What does Roy dream of the first night with the Knights as he drifts off to sleep?
4. What happens to Sam Simpson?
5. Why does Bump Bailey get away with ridiculing both the coach and anyone else who crosses him?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)