|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
(a) "Red," with a drawing of a hammer and sickle.
(b) "Red," with a drawing of a noose.
(c) "J. Erlone," with a drawing of a noose.
(d) "Better Red than Dead" in red ink.
2. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
(a) The shape of Mary's body beneath the coals.
(b) The white cat watching him again.
(c) He can't see anything because the light it out.
(d) Peggy watching from the top of the stairs.
3. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it and what does he tell her?
(a) That the "gentleman," Jan Erlone, was planning on spending the night and he was going to go with Mary to the train in the morning.
(b) He confesses that Mary had been drunk the night before and that "the gentleman," Jan Erlone, insisted on driving her home, but dropped Bigger at his home first.
(c) That the car is in the driveway because "the gentleman," Jan, was going to drive himself home the night before.
(d) That he has no idea what could have happened since Mary was fine when he left her.
4. When Bessie again declares she won't help Bigger with is ransom plan, what does Bigger do to persuade her?
(a) Reminds her she has already helped him steal enough to land her in jail. He also threatens to slap her.
(b) He holds a knife in a threatening way and warns her she had better help him.
(c) He tells her it will be over between them if she doesn't help him.
(d) He threatens to beat her if she doesn't do what he wants.
5. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
(a) She tells him to take the day off because everyone is too worried about Mary to need his services that day.
(b) To take the trunk to the attic because the Dalton's will start worrying about Mary if they see it.
(c) Go the the train station and pick up Mary's trunk because no one has claimed it.
(d) Go to the train station and find out what has happened to Mary's trunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
2. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
3. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
4. What does Bigger say the white people do to black people?
5. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)