|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bigger compare his family to Mary Dalton?
(a) He sees his family's poor existence compared to Mary's rich life.
(b) He sees his family as alive compared to Mary being dead.
(c) He sees his family as a burden compared to new possibilites created by Mary's death.
(d) He sees his family as afraid as compared to Mary's confidence.
2. On the streetcar on the way to Bessie's apartment what does Bigger want to shout?
(a) That he killed a rich, white girl.
(b) That he was lucky to have a good job.
(c) That he was in love with a beautiful girl.
(d) That he knew something they didn't know.
3. While hidden Bigger reads a newspaper about the search for him. Why do the authorities still think Jan Erlone is the mastermind behind the entire murder and ransom?
(a) Because coming up with such a detailed plan would be beyond the Negro mind.
(b) Because Mr. Dalton really liked Bigger and wanted to help him.
(c) Because Jan Erlone refused to be released and has signed a confession.
(d) Because Jan Erlone is a communist and they hate communists.
4. What does Bigger do with the pamphlets Jan gave him the night before?
(a) He throws them in the trash.
(b) He goes to his room in the Dalton house and carefully puts them in his drawer.
(c) He sits on the bed and reads them.
(d) He burns them.
5. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
(a) He laughs and says Mary killed herself by jumping in the river and he just watched.
(b) He denies killing Mary, but admits he stole money from her.
(c) He admits that he killed Mary and threatens Bessie, too.
(d) He admits that he killed Mary and tells Bessie he'll tell everyone she helped him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second thing Bigger admitted to Max he would liked to have been?
2. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
3. What idea does Bigger get after Bessie mentions he is working near the site of the Leopold and Loeb case?
4. What happens when Bigger first awakens the morning after the murder?
5. What does Bigger begin to wish for all blacks?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)