|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Bigger is leaving the Dalton home after Mary's death, what does he find near the Dalton's car?
(a) A bottle of rum.
(b) Mary's purse.
(c) Mary's expensive necklace.
(d) The pamphlets Jan gave him.
2. The South Side Real Estate Company is what to Bigger?
(a) The company Bigger dreams of one day owning.
(b) The South Side Real Estate Company is nothing to Bigger.
(c) The company to whom he pays rent for his family's rat-infested room.
(d) The company where Bigger hopes to one day work.
3. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
(a) She expains that she does not trust the people Mary associates herself with and suspects they have something to do with Mary not being home.
(b) She complains that she took her daughter shopping for expensive clothing that she didn't even pack for her trip.
(c) She expresses her dislike for the people Mary travels with and is shocked she hadn't even packed her new clothing for the trip.
(d) She admits she isn't comfortable with Bigger living in the house and wonders if he frightened her daughter away.
4. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church near the apartment where he is hiding?
(a) He half wishes he was a believer like his mother, but doesn't want to give up his sense of self.
(b) He wishes he could be with his mother.
(c) He hates the music and can't wait to find another apartment.
(d) He hums along, but feeling to peace he gets angry.
5. How does Max respond when Bigger asks why people hate him so much?
(a) They don't hate just him, they hate everyone that is different from them.
(b) He was not doing what they wanted him to do.
(c) They are afraid of losing what they have and will even hurt others to keep it.
(d) That he had taken things from them and they hated him for it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bigger place the ransom note to be certain Mr. Dalton gets it?
2. Where does Mrs. Thomas say Bigger will end up if he doesn't straighten out his life?
3. After Bigger leaves Bessie and returns to the Dalton's house what does Peggy tell him to do and why?
4. What happens when one the men helping in the search for Mary discovers bone and an earring in the ashes that were removed from the furnace?
5. Who did Bigger want to see before he died?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)